Copyright (c) 2014 by Eduardo K Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Eduardo K -- Blogmeister

Period 1/2 2011

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Eduardo K

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

Global Warming T.T 01/17/12
12/07/11
Jupiter!! :) 12/06/11

Title: Assignment # 3 - Due 1/16/12 (01/08/12)
Description: For this assignment, research the topic of global warming. Earth’s climate has been getting hotter, at least on the surface, are humans causing this change? If not, then what is? Discuss this issue in your article. Site sources in your article to back up your ideas. Try to support your opinion with factual data and be sure to list all sources used (must use at least three).

Let the debate begin!

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 01:16 AM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 1245

Global warming is a very interesting topic. There are many sides to this topic. What is causing this? How it is happening? Is there such a thing as global warming? These questions and many other are the ones that get scientists into debates to see if global warming is hurting the earth. In my opinion it is hurting the earth. Some causes would be fumes and gases coming from cars and trucks. These gases bring fumes into the air, poisoning it. Also pollution from buildings and airplanes, and methane stored in water and ice. Also carbon dioxide from power plants. Those things hurt the air that we breath. Gas, coal, and oil are the three types of polluting power plants. Since methane is stored in water and ice, it is in the ocean. Methane is approximately 60 times stronger than carbon dioxide as a green house gas. This led to an immense heating of the earth. When the earth's temperature reached a certain level such as eight degrees above normal, it would  then increase an additional fourteen degrees. 

Global warming has been an intense topic for world leaders. Global warming is supposedly destroying the earth. It has been changing the climate. "For almost two decades, the United Nations has sponsored global talks, known as the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, an international treaty signed by 194 countries in 1992 to cooperatively discuss global climate change and its impact." Some countries are trying to help the world by trying to save forests, so they don't get cut down. Some may also try to get factories in that country to try to use less in-toxicating fumes. A country like China, is hurting the world. They have so much mass production, that all you can see in the sky is gray. When I went to Hong Kong, I could barley see the sun. 

There are many ways we can actually help to possibly stop global warming, or make it less. The on main easy thing to do in your own home is to conserve energy. Try to switch off the lights when you leave the room. It saves money and electricity. All try to change your light bulbs  to florescent light bulbs because those use less energy and are 26mm tube. Every single day you can make a difference in the world to help it. Eve simple things in your house can save the earth!

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/globalwarming/index.html

http://www.bestglobalwarmingarticles.com/Article/causes-of-global-warming----Top-Ten-Causes-of-Global-Warming---part-1--/4143

http://www.bestglobalwarmingarticles.com/Article/energy-conservation----A-New-Approach-To-Electricity-Can-Save-Money-And-The-Environment/4076

http://www.bestglobalwarmingarticles.com/Article/causes-of-global-warming----Top-Ten-Causes-of-Global-Warming---part-2--/4145

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 05:23 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 245

Yes I think humans definitely have something to do with global warming. I think there are a lot of natural causes of global warming but the main reason it is occurring is because of us humans. Natural causes are the reasons for some of the warming but we are the reason for the extra warming. Otherwise, why would it be happening now when there are a lot of factories and there is a lot more new technology that gives off harmful gases into the atmosphere and not a million years ago when there was much less factories and technology. Cars and airplanes also have a lot of effect on the atmosphere. It releases carbon into the air. Also whenever we use electricity the chances are that your energy is transmitted through coal burning power plants. Humans give off carbon dioxide from fossil fuels, deforestation, and failing sinks. Methane comes from cattle and rice patties, The Arctic Tundra, and clathrates, and nitrogen oxide from farming. The build up of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is the most significant human cause of global warming. Carbon dioxide is released every time you burn something (cars, airplanes, coal plants) which is a lot of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere but now we are destroying the things that get rid of carbon dioxide and create oxygen- forests.

Sources:

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

Global warming in my opinion is caused by humans. Proof? Well, scientists have discovered that  global warming is most likely caused by the burning of coal, oil and gas, and how it has tweaked the greenhouse effect. The greenhouse effect is what gives our planet the ability to sustain life. The problem with this is that if there is too many greenhouse gases building up in our atmosphere, there will be too much heat being trapped which will lead to a much warmer earth that may be too warm for life. A single gallon of gasoline, when burned up, puts 19 pounds of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Landfills of garbage and cutting down trees are other ways that humans are kindling global warming.

Sources:

http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0215471/global_warming.htm

http://www.acoolerclimate.com/causes-of-global-warming/

http://environment.about.com/od/faqglobalwarming/f/globalwarming.htm

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 87

I am a person that supports the theory of Global Warming. CO2 levels, caused by humans and the growing use of fossil fuels, have increased drastically.

One clear and major example is that natural disasters have become increasingly more frequent. The Artic Ice has been retreating faster than expected. Temperatures globally are getting hotter. Sea level has been steadily rising. Another one is that precipitation, globally have increased. All these things are disturbing the delicate studies of glaciology and palynology. The changes in climate are also messing up the delicate balance of the ecosystems. Later, worse things could happen. Hurricanes will be intensified greatly and floods and droughts will be more common. Your front door step could be an ocean, imagine the kind of property tax you would have to pay. Hundreds of species will be extinct.

An important question is that can we fix our mistakes? On the test? No. But on Global Warming? Yes. We need to break free of our dependence on fossil fuels, and look to other renewable sources. In some places this has already been happening. Miles and miles of wind farms have been made. Cars instead of fuel use electricity. Instead of destroying a park, we are planting new trees. In Iceland, they use geo-thermal energy. Recovery has been taking place for months now. But the effect is little, unless you do your part in taking care of the environment.

[LINK]#

[LINK]

[LINK]

For Global Warming

Some people say that global warming is not our fault that it is only a natural occurring process in which earth goes through. But, some people think that global warming is our fault, that we are putting too much greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. I think that global warming is our fault. Scientists still don’t know what is exactly causing global warming. But, just looking at natural cycles and events that are known to influence the earth’s climate can’t be the only factors that change the earths atmosphere, so you have to include the factor of greenhouse gases emitted from humans to make this true.

First of all, what is global warming? Global warming is the hypothesis that earth’s atmosphere is warming because of the release of “greenhouse gases” such as carbon dioxide. These gases are released into the air from burning gas, oil, coal, wood and other resources, which then hold heat in an action similar to the walls of a greenhouse. Scientists are still trying to figure out what is causing global warming. Even though no one knows for sure I think that the greenhouse gases admitted for humans have to do with it. The greenhouse affect is responsible for global warming. It starts with the sun’s energy that is radiated to the earth. Then the earth and atmosphere absorb some of this energy and radiate the rest into space. The naturally occurring gases in the atmosphere trap some of this energy, and reflect it back warming the earth. Humans add more gases to the atmosphere making the greenhouse affect warm the earth even more. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) meets every few years to review the known facts on global warming. They look at graphs and use their knowledge to come up with statements that are known about what causes global warming.

The gas that is most responsible for global warming is carbon dioxide. Burning fires and gases emitted from engines, machines, and factories are some ways that humans emit carbon dioxide. Methane is another greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming. It is emitted from landfills, animals, and fertilizers. But, a methane molecule traps twenty times more heat than carbon dioxide, which makes it the most harsh greenhouse gas that can affect the atmosphere. The burning of fossil fuels in cars, factories, and electricity usage also effect global warming by putting greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

Global warming will have some serious effects on the world as time progresses. One effect of global warming is the rise of sea levels because of the melting of massive ice sheets. Another effect of global warming is that dangerous storms will become more frequent due to the rising temperatures of the world’s oceans. Next, many species will become extinct because those animals could not adapt to the climate change.

Here are some facts about our changing world because of global warming over the years. The average temperatures have increased by one point four degrees Fahrenheit around the world since 1880. Then, the rate of warming is increasing, the twentieth century’s last two decades were the hottest in four hundred years. Next, artic ice is decreasing at a high rate. Furthermore, humans are giving off too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere much faster than plants and oceans can absorb it.

We can stop global warming by decreasing the amount of greenhouse gases going into the atmosphere. People can use less electricity by using more solar powered equipment. Next, we can stop burning fossil fuels, and instead we can use organic materials to make fuel, use nuclear energy, and use hydrogen. Lastly, we can drive more hybrid cars, so there will be no carbon dioxide being emitted into the atmosphere.

Altogether, I think that humans emitting too much greenhouse gases which worsen global warming. The world is going to change later on in the years, because of our mistake, so we have to realize what we are doing and stop it.

Sources:

http://www.aproundtable.org/tps30info/globalwarmup.html

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/gw-causes/

http://planetsave.com/2009/06/07/global-warming-effects-and-causes-a-top-10-list/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/12/1206_041206_global_warming_2.html

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 101

I think that we are causing global warming and it is something that is taking place. I believe this for a few reasons. First, Jeffrey D Sachs says that our technology improvement will not slow down the carbon dioxide increase in the atmosphere.  Also in arguments, there is a myth that climate is always changing no matter how long it takes to change. But, science says that climate will change when it is forced to change by something. I believe we are that driving force. Also, a website says that the temperature of oceans is rising and the levels of the ocean are rising. This is a result of the ice melting because of the release of greenhouse gases.

Sources:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/weekinreview/06revkin.html

http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_arguments_on_both_sides_of_the_global_warming_controversy

I would have to say on the issue of global warming, that I'm against the idea of it. Before I did my research I thought it made a lot of sense. Hearing about the poles melting and that polar bears might be extinct. However now, I realize that most, if not all the hysteria has been from the media! People buy into the sad stories and pictures of animals becoming extinct because of global warming. Then the media expands on that sympathy with extreme exaggerations on climate change, so that you becom fearful for your own lives.

I have information though, that will hopefully let you see global warming the way I do. First off, what is global warming? An appropiate definiton is that it is a hypothesis that humans are causing our atmoshpere to become hotter by burning fossil fuels and releasing carbon dioxide into the air. Now a key word here is hypothesis, for it is some thing people believe will happen but has not. According to the American Policy Roundtable, over 17,000 scientists have signed a petition saying that humans have not disrupted Earth's climate.

Global Warming Petition

We urge the United States government to reject the global warming agreement that was written in Kyoto, Japan in December, 1997, and any other similar proposals. The proposed limits on greenhouse gases would harm the environment, hinder the advance of science and technology, and damage the health and welfare of mankind.

There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.

This petition has been signed by over 31,000 American scientists.

Something else that you need to know, is that temperatures haven't been increasing, If anything they're falling. Ice has not been dissapearing, also. Check otu this website to read more about it: http://www.wtvy.com/weather/headlines/36970994.html

The worst part of it, to me, is how much money we've wasted on global warming and how much money we are going to waste if this obsession continues. I mean in the effort to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, fund scientists research on global warming we have spent over $358 million!

At this point if you still believe global warming to be a catastophic issue, then that's fine. Still, you should at least try to be open-minded, to the fact that your effort and ambiton to save the planet, might just be a waste of time and money.

Citing Sources:

1. http://www.aproundtable.org/tps30info/globalwarmup.html

2. http://www.oism.org/pproject/ 

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 01:19 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 121

Global Warming is the earth in a climate change. The earth is basically heating up. This is happening because there are gases going into the atmosphere. These gases are destroying the layer that protects the earth from the heat of the sun. If this layer is gone, The earth will get warmer. Some proof that this is actually happening is that average temperature have increased by 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit. The arctic is having the worst time with this. The ice is quickly disappearing and there may be no ice by 2040. Polar may become extinct because of this.

[LINK]

I do believe global warming is real. There is enough scientific facts to proof that it is real. The final conclusion between scientists worldwide is that it is happening. I do not believe it can be stopped. We need to use certain gases and fossil fuels because it is necessary to do everything daily. It can be slowed down, but not stopped. I just believe that the media has created hype about global warming. For the effects to affect humans, it would take a very long time. We do not have to worry about global warming now and I believe that in the future, scientists will find a way to slow it down dramatically.

[LINK]

[LINK]

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 02:03 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 169

Global warming is pretty simple to me; WE CAUSE IT. With temperatures rising and water levels also, what other excuse do we have? Here are 4 main causes of global warming. The first is carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel burning power plants. With 40% of US CO2 emissions coming from electricity production, this is a main reason. The next reason comes from carbon dioxide emissions from burning gasoline for transportation. Though many cars don't produce this anymore, there are still some clunkers that still produce this harmful gas. The next reason/example is increase in usage of chemical fertilizers on croplands. Instead of the historical use of animal manure, we have started to use chemical fertilizers. These fertilizers contain nitrogen oxides, which has 300 more times the heat-trapping capacity per unit than carbon dioxide. The next example is deforestation, especially tropical forests for wood, pulp, and farmland. Trees take in carbon dioxide, and with less of them, carbon dioxide levels go up, which is another factor to global warming. I will also list some effects of global warming. The first is rise in sea levels world-wide. This can cause major flooding in coastal regions of many countries. The next effect is more major sever storms. They have increased since 1981 and can also devastate coastal regions. The next major reason is massive crop failures. This can effect farmers worldwide. The last effect is the widespread extinction of species. Global warming can extinct any kind of species, especially polar bears.

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 03:41 AM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 155

Global warming is a very controversial topic. In my opinion, we are to blame, or at least we are speeding up the process. It has been proven that on Earth, temperatures have been known to rise and fall. This is why we have ice ages, then hot climates. We are caught in an inter-glacial period so naturally, because these events can be thought of as cyclic, the Earth will become hotter like it has been doing. The reason for this, I’m not sure but this has been an ongoing process and will continue. However, we are still at fault because we are, in theory, speeding up the process. The amounts of fossil fuels we have been burning are increasing and it is possible that by the fossil fuels we are burning are making the Earth hotter. This is due to the greenhouse effect and in brief explanation, the heat radiated from the emissions do not escape from the atmosphere and it stays locked in the Earth, therefor making the Earth hotter. So, although most of the scientists will say either that global warming is either cyclic, or entirely our fault, I think that the events are cyclic, but we are speeding it up.      

Global warming is the rise of Earth’s atmosphere average temperature. I agree with the idea of global warming, I don’t want this idea to be true, but I think it might be. There has been many signs of global warming, such as the temperature not cooling down. The Artic ice is also slowly disappearing as well. The temperature in Alaska, western Canada, and eastern Russia are increasing at twice the global average. The rate of temperature in increasing everywhere!

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

Article posted January 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 205

There has been a debate on whether global warming in something that humans are causing and whether or not it is a matter large enough for people to care. Well, the earth has been warming up for the past few decades at a rate of 1.2-1.8 degrees ferinheight. Many scientists believe that the earth is warming because of the greenhouse effect. We humans let out harmful gases by everyday things that we do. Like driving a car, using electricity and factories all burn fossil fuels. These gases absorb more heat that is radiated from the sun than usual causing the outer layer of the earth to warm therefore giving it the name of global warming. As result of this, much of the arctic sea ice is melting. About 12% of it has melted away in the past 32 years. As proof of the earth getting warmer over the past few decades, 1998 was the warmest year in all of recorded history. Many of the more recent hurricanes that occurred carried much more water than ever before. A decline of polar animals also has taken place as result of ice melting at the poles. Average temperatures in Alaska and Western Canada have increased twice as much as average global temperatures so the places closest to the poles are being affected the most. Glaciers and mountain snows are rapidly melting, for example, Montana’s Glacier National Park only has about 27 glaciers as oppose to 150 in 1910. I do believe that humans are causing most of Global Warming and it is happening but not at a rate fast enough to scare us.

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 12:14 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 218

Global warming is an extemly complicated issue in the science community. Many scientists agree that the increseing amount of human caused green house gases such as the burning of fosil fuels are incredibly dangerous. The New York Times say that global emissions jumped up by 5.9 percent in 2010 being the largest amount on record. Thus it can clearly be shown that it is our fault for burning fossil fuels and releasing other green house gases into the atmosphere. Methane which is another greenhouse gas can be found beneth the surface of frozen lakes in the artic. As global warming increases the lakes thaw releasing all of the trapt methane creating more emmisions. Another example of how humans are responsibe for the change in temperatures is aviation emissions. Airplanes cause roughly 3 percent of all global carbon dioxide emissions. Without all of our busnisses and corporations polluting the world with their sources for fuel, the world would have have rapidly heated so fast

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 01:11 AM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 191

GLOBAL WARMING or CLIMATE CHANGE

Some still say it’s a myth, but others think it’s greatly impacting the environment. I for one, say that it is NOT a myth and many things are contributing to, the damage of the Earth. New technology that’s coming out these days along with energy saving products will help reduce greenhouse gases and keep from polluting the world!

Now, here’s the evidence!

Since 1880, the average temperature has raised 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit. This is according to NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

The United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports that 11 of the past 12 years are among the dozen warmest since 1850.” The past 20 years were the hottest in 400 years!

Raising TWICE the global average, the Arctic, Eastern Russia, Alaska, and Western Canada are some of the main hits of this climate change.

In the Arctic, the polar bears, and other interesting creatures we would love to study are suffering because of the amount of ice left. By 2040, the Arctic can be having an iceless summer.

A very recent discovery shows how glaciers and he beautifully snow capped mountains are melting. In Montana’s Glacier National Park, 27 are left standing. In 1910, there were 150!

HUMAN EVIDENCE INCLUDES:

Industrialization, deforestation, and pollution have greatly increased atmospheric concentrations of water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide, all greenhouse gases that help trap heat near Earth's surface. Humans are pouring carbon dioxide into the atmosphere much faster than plants and oceans can absorb it
Arial;color:blue">. These gases persist in the atmosphere for years, meaning that even if such emissions were eliminated today, it would
not immediately stop global warming
Arial;color:blue">.”  

If the environment if important to you, take care to save it! Maybe take the five extra minutes to bike or walk somewhere, so you don’t need to use the car! Little things like that can help reduce global warming and slowly, but effectively, we might just see a change.

CHECK OUT THESE LINKS FOR MORE INFORMATION!      http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/ 

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/12/1206_041206_global_warming.html

http://www.koshland-science-museum.org/exhibitgcc/

http://globalwarming.sdsu.edu

BY: JASMINE BENJAMIN 

Global Warming is a climate change in the atmosphere of the Earth. It is a gradual increase in the overall temperature of the earth’s atmosphere generally attributed to the green house effect caused by increased levels of carbon dioxide, CFCs, and other pollutants.  It is believed by many people that humans are causing this change and are slowly killing the Earth because global warming hurts many people, animals, and plants. Many people also believe that humans are causing Polar Bears to go extinct because glaciers are melting because of global warming. 

The greenhouse effect makes the earth appropriate for people to live on. If we didn’t have greenhouse gasses, then either the world would be freezing or would be burning hot. Even though the greenhouse effect makes the earth able to have people living on it, if there are too many gases, the earth can get unusually warmer and many plants, animals, and people can die because of this! You definitely do not want this to happen! People and animals would die because there would be less food for animals, like cows and grass, and therefore less food for us! Everyone could die of hunger!

Greenhouse gasses are gasses that collect heat and light from the sun. If there are too many greenhouse gasses in the air, then the earth’s atmosphere would get too hot. People, animals, and plants would die because of the heat. Global warming makes the sea rise and cover low land islands. Global Warming also kills life in oceans.

I think humans are contributing to global warming but are not the main reason of global warming. Humans contribute because of the pollution they cause. Things such as electricity (light, T.V., using a hair dryer, etc.), riding in a car, using a microwave, etc. cause global warming. When garbage is burned in landfills, it sends greenhouse gasses into the air.

Many people simply believe that global warming is natural and the Earth is actually cooling. Many people believe polar bears will not go extinct and humans aren’t a big cause of global warming! It is natural for the climate to change and temperatures will fall not rise!

Which side are you in the argument? I believe that humans are not the only cause of global warming, but we can still help!

GO GREEN!!!!

Want to know more about global warming? TO DORK OUT Use:

http://www.greatglobalwarming.com/

I thought some of you might be wondering what global warming is and how it relates to YOU! Well you can watch these videos to find out! The first one is also on Mr. Ullrich's Blog! HAVE FUN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJAbATJCugs

Short video about Global Warming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InUJR40Ggtw&feature=related

For this article I am assuming that global warming exists. After much research I decided that my opinions leaned more towards the idea of global warming to be a natural warming-cycle. With that assumption I will discuss why I think global warming may not be man-made.

I have read some articles that mention that the temperature average for the last 100 years has gone up by about 1 degree. And many scientists believe that the average temperature could go up even more within the next century. Global warming is also of concern because it makes the icebergs of the poles to melt faster and that makes the world’s ocean levels to become higher. That can flood many lands that are at lower altitude. Those who believe that global warming is man-made argue that humans by building  too many cars, factories and industrial businesses are polluting the air with too much Carbon Dioxide-CO2, and they believe that  this pollution in the air causes global warming.

However those who believe global warming is not man-made and it’s just a cycle in Earth’s climate, they say that the amount of CO2 in the air is so minor that it cannot contribute to a matter so big as global warming. In fact they say that CO2 is good for plant life on Earth. Based on a source, in 2008, only 39 molecules out of every 100,000 molecules of air was CO2. Earth and its atmosphere are very large and I do not see how these small polluting percentages would be able to have an effect towards global warming. Therefore, according to these scientists Global Warming is most probably a natural occurring cycle.

Another fact to support that global warming may be a natural cycle is that the average temperature between the years 1850 and 1940 were infact higher than the average temperature from 1940 to present time. Even though back then in the late 1800s and early 1900s millions of cars and other man-made “global warming causes” were not as significant as they are today.

After learning about both arguments I believe that it seems more reasonable for global warming to be a natural climate cycle of the Earth rather than being man-made.

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 12:13 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 107

Global warming is a real problem. Earth’s climate has been getting hotter and hotter and it is our fault. Global emissions of Carbon Dioxide jumped by the largest amount on record in 2010. I don’t think we should all go out and buy a hybrid car that’s ridiculous, but we do have to do something or else we will not be able to forestall severe climate changes later on. This is not an issue for us at the moment. Later on this could affect us greatly. If we don’t do anything the whole human race can go extinct. We will turn into the dinosaurs someday. Unlike the dinosaurs, we can prevent our extinction by reducing the amount of fossil fuels that are burnt. Average temperatures in Alaska, western Canada, and eastern Russia have risen at twice the global average, according to the multinational Arctic Climate Impact Assessment report compiled between 2000 and 2004. Artic ice is rapidly disappearing. We have to do something now because the future of our race lies in our hands.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-climate-change-school-20120116,0,2808837.story

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 01:46 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 155

Many people believe that humans are the case of global warming, while others do not. But what is global warming anyways? Global warming is the increase of greenhouse gases in our atmosphere, causing a rise in temperature on Earth. A greenhouse gas, such as carbon dioxide (CO2), traps heat re-radiated from the earth and keeps it in the atmosphere. This is caused the greenhouse effect.

So are we the cause of this? Many people say yes. One reason people think humans are the cause of this is because 75% of the 20th century increase CO2 is directly caused by human actions like burning fossil fuels. Also, CO2 produced by humans is changing the climate of the oceans. As more CO2 is absorbed by the ocean, oceanic acidity levels increase. Oceans have absorbed 48% of the total CO2 made by humans and acidity levels are 25-30% higher than before the use of fossil fuels.

However, to the same question, many people say no. One reason they don't think humans are causing global warming is because the increase of CO2 isn't causing global warming, it's just an effect of it. As the temperature increases, CO2 is given off by 'carbon sinks' like oceans.Also, many say that the CO2 released by humans can't cause climate change. If there is any increase in the level of CO2, then it gets absorbed by 'carbon sinks' like oceans and forests. The CO2 levels are balanced by nature.

I believe that humans aren't the cause of global warming. I think this because measurements show that the CO2 levels are controlled by the environment. Also, more measurements in ice cores show that after global warming, CO2 levels rise, not the other way around.

So what do you think, is global warming our fault?

Bibliography:

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 02:07 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 108

Fact: the global temperature has been rising over the past years, but is it because of us or is it just a natural cycle? Many scientists think we are causing our Earth to heat up, but others believe global warming is just a natural cycle.

Right now, it is too soon to say that global warming is our entire fault. Many calculations are altered to make the effects of Global Warming seem much worse than it actually is. Right now, experts say that the poles are not vanishing; at least not yet. The fact that we are polluting the Earth and are giving off lots of greenhouse gasses is bad, but it may not be causing a climate change. Scientists who are skeptical about Global Warming say there are other factors, natural factors, causing the temperature to rise. Some of these factors may be volcanism, changes in solar output and the variation in cloud cover. The Earth does go through these natural climate changes, just look at the ice age. In fact, even now some people claim the Earth maybe going through a slight cooling trend. This may or may not be true, but stats show all sorts of crazy things. For example, look at the number of 90+ degrees F days in the Midwest US: 1936 had 49 consecutive days, as well as in 1955. However, there was only one day over 90 degrees in 1992 and only five in 1997. Also, humans may only be responsible for 3% of the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. When you look at the Earth’s age compared to human industry, it is over 4 billion years to just 200 years. Nature can also cause carbon dioxide to be sent into the air, like in natural disasters (volcanoes).

The bottom line is that there are a variety of reasons causing the Earth’s global climate to change, and humans are probably not the center of it. Remember: over 4 billion years to just 200 years. 

http://www.benefits-of-recycling.com/globalwarmingisnotreal.html

http://scienceray.com/earth-sciences/physical-geography/global-warming-not-caused-by-man/

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2004/deweese121404.htm 

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 04:33 AM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 113

Global warming- some say that humans are the cause, while others debate that it’s simply a natural phenomenon, a 1500-year-cycle that has been going on for the past million years. As far as I could remember, global warming and man-made CO2 and other greenhouse gases have been taught as one topic. We were taught that all of the polar bears were losing their homes because of our cars, factories, and more. But now, that I know about the natural cycle that has been occurring the whole time, I believe that the cause for global warming is both. Some statistics say that there is a 66% chance that humans are the cause of global warming, while others say that only 0.28% of the greenhouse effect is caused by human activity, not including water vapor and the percentage of anthropogenic, or man-made green house gases is 3.298%, not including water vapor. Just by comparing different results of different sources, you can tell right away that this is a greatly debated topic. Also, none of the sources really state that their information is 101% correct; they’re all theories.

Although this blog assignment was to answer yes or no, to state whether or not I think it is us humans that is causing global warming or not, I cannot answer this question (sorry Mr. Ullrich, I’m an indecisive person…). Up until this point, I have never doubted nor have thought twice when people said that humans were the cause of global warming, and that it is we that much change in order to balance our earth’s climate changes again. But now, although I still think us humans are a factor of the rapid increase of temperatures, I also think it is just another natural phenomenon that we cannot avoid.

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 03:35 AM GMT0 • comment (6) • Reads 164

Global warming is when the hot weather causes glaciers to melt and seawater levels to rise. In my opinion, I think that the humans caused global warming. The use of vehicles, factories, and electricity release heat trapping gases called greenhouse gases. These greenhouse gases keep the heat from leaving like a regular greenhouse. After the level of greenhouse gases were rising, it slowly became constant but soon enough, the use of fossil fuels are increasing the level of greenhouse gases and it is making the world warmer and making the world a different place. The industry became more advanced and used more fossil fuels and it increased the amount of carbon dioxide.

Humans ride their car and they make new products and they also use fossil fuels for this. The gas most responsible is carbon dioxide and we breathe it out. But the things we do make it worse. Polar bears are becoming extinct due to the ice disappearing. Ice is melting everywhere and the sea level rise became faster over the last century. Many animals migrated to the north or cooler areas due to the warmth of the area they lived in. If this continues, sea levels will increase, animals will be migrating to places they’ve never been before, there will be more natural disasters, and it is likely that there might be more disease. My theory is that humans caused global warming since humans are the ones that made the industry use more fossil fuels and make the world warmer.

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

Are humans responsible for global warming?

That seems to be the big question, and there are many debates in which some believe that humans are responsible for global warming, while some believe that they have no effect.

Well….a hard question there…

I believe that human activities is a main source of global warming. Ever since the industrial age started, with raving cars and factories, the climate’s temeperature has suddenly increased. The giving off of greenhouses gases, such as carbon dioxide has increased the amount of Every time you drive a car, carbon-rich auto exhaust enters the atmosphere. The use of jet fuel in plane travel also adds a great deal to your carbon dioxide. I believe that the number one cause of global warming is the burning of fossil fuels, which is one thing that humans are doing at this moment. Let’s use solar, wind and etc to fuel energy!!

Read more: http://scienceray.com/earth-sciences/physical-geography/global-warming-not-caused-by-man/#ixzz1jqXnRo6l

Article posted January 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 214

I think that humans are the main cause of global warming. I think that cars are the most threatening thing to our world in terms of global warming. They let off more than 330 million tons of carbon dioxide per year. We are also emmiting many other green house gases from factories. Too many green house gases will cause the tempurature to change. It has already changed and will continue to change at a slow pase. Enough of a change will melt glaciers and change the way humans and animals live on this earth. The green house gases are able to trap heat causing the tempurature in our atmosphere to change.Thats how we know it is humans causing global warming. We are letting way to many green house gases into the air and soon it will change the world dramatically. There is no other logical explination to the cause of global warming. Humans are causing it and it makes sence. Now all there is to do is find a way to stop putting so many green house gases into the atmosphere and then we wont have to worry about what is going to happen to our earth if global warming continues.

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]     (Video's on your blog page)

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM GMT0 • comment (7) • Reads 134

To those of you out there who believe that global warming is indeed your fault, I am pleased to say that you are totally, utterly wrong. Global warming is not your fault. It's only nature's fault. When you're watching an ad on T.V. about global warming asking you to donate, they try to make you feel bad and donate. In the next few paragraphs, I will explain to you why you should not feel any guilt about the ice caps melting. 

First of all, it's nature's fault. A recent study on Mars has proved that the exact same thing is happening to them as is happening to us on Earth. Mars doens't have any cars, factories, planes, etc, therefore no extra greenhouse gasses. Mars is on the same path as us, and we're watching the same thing happen to us. Therefore, it's not our fault. 

Also, the changing climate of our Earth keeps changing, as shown in the other planets. This happens naturally, and has nothing to do with any gasses we put into the air. 

Don't feel guilty about yourself. It's nature, and we cannot do anything to prevent it. 

1) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

2) http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11650-climate-myths-global-warming-is-down-to-the-sun-not-humans.html

3) http://www.napsnet.com/pdf_archive/34/50144.pdf

4) http://www.bluemarble4us.com/450px-Global_Warming_Map.jpg

Article posted January 17, 2012 at 02:08 AM GMT0 • comment (6) • Reads 171

Global warming? Myth? NO!

You might not agree to everything I'm about to say, but with factual information I will back myself up. Global warning - it's happening. One major question surrounding the issue of global warming is whether or not we're the cause. Well, are we? Humans are responsible for the change in temperature because of the emissions of GREENHOUSE GASSES. Many gasses are greenhouse gasses, and they trap the heat in our atmosphere. Carbon dioxide and methane are both greenhouse gasses; carbon dioxide is emitted by the use of fossil fuels, and methane is emitted from the use of coal, natural gas and oil. Methane is also emitted from livestock, and you KNOW what I'm talking about here, so there's no need to say it. 

WORST OF ALL, GREENHOUSE GASSES ARE EXPECTED TO RISE. (If that's unclear, it means global warming will increase as well)

FACT: The last two decades were the hottest in 400 years.

If we keep this up...

1. In the summer of 2040 or earlier, the arctic may be ICE FREE.

2. There may be an increase in extreme weather events... notice these things lately? GLOBAL WARMING IS THE PROBLEM! 

3. We may be heading towards water shortages, even in the United States!

A lot can happen if we're not careful about the global situation! Humans are to blame for the catastrophe we're headed towards, and we have to fix the situation before it's too late! 

Sources: 

[LINK]

[LINK]

Global Warming!

What really is causing the Earth to heat up? Is it the humans or something else?

Global Warming is a direct cause to releasing to many greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Global Warming will increase the probability of having herricanes, major floods,and etc. ONe way of stopping Global Warming is to plant more trees so they will inhale the carbon dioxide and exhale oxygen.

The humans are responsible for all this. Us humans release so many greenhouse gases into the air that it traps the warm air in to the Earth's atmosphere. Average temperature are rising every year. The temperature already rised 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit (0.8 degrees Celsius).

Global Warming will effect everyone at one time or another. All the ice will melt at the poles and then Earth will be flooded and covered in water.

To get more information you can visit:

http://www.ecologic.org/en/why-we-do-it/mitigating-climate-change?gclid=CPWx5d2i0q0CFYbe4AodzTXBkg

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/

We hear the phrase “greenhouse gases” a lot, but not many people know what it is exactly. Humans add greenhouse gases to the earth’s atmosphere every day. Some greenhouse gases are carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane. These gases warm up the earth.  Trees help by taking away some of the carbon dioxide from going into the atmosphere during photosynthesis, by taking it in and producing oxygen. Scientists predict that the greenhouse gases going into the atmosphere will raise the earth’s average temperature in the next century.  If that happens, the glaciers in the Arctic and Antarctica could melt, and the sea level could rise. Sea levels have already risen approximately 25 centimeters in the last century.

I think we can do something to stop global warming, because I believe if we don’t stop adding greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, our descendants will be in big trouble. We are technically trying to kill our own children. We should plant trees, buy high-efficiency models of electronics, leave our car at home for a couple of days a week, and reduce, reuse, and recycle.

science-mindmap.jpg

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2007/09/climate_100.html