Copyright (c) 2014 by Melina H Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Melina H -- Blogmeister

My Blog! Melina Loves Earth Science!

Period 1/2 2011

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Melina H

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

For Global Warming

Some people say that global warming is not our fault that it is only a natural occurring process in which earth goes through. But, some people think that global warming is our fault, that we are putting too much greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. I think that global warming is our fault. Scientists still don’t know what is exactly causing global warming. But, just looking at natural cycles and events that are known to influence the earth’s climate can’t be the only factors that change the earths atmosphere, so you have to include the factor of greenhouse gases emitted from humans to make this true.

First of all, what is global warming? Global warming is the hypothesis that earth’s atmosphere is warming because of the release of “greenhouse gases” such as carbon dioxide. These gases are released into the air from burning gas, oil, coal, wood and other resources, which then hold heat in an action similar to the walls of a greenhouse. Scientists are still trying to figure out what is causing global warming. Even though no one knows for sure I think that the greenhouse gases admitted for humans have to do with it. The greenhouse affect is responsible for global warming. It starts with the sun’s energy that is radiated to the earth. Then the earth and atmosphere absorb some of this energy and radiate the rest into space. The naturally occurring gases in the atmosphere trap some of this energy, and reflect it back warming the earth. Humans add more gases to the atmosphere making the greenhouse affect warm the earth even more. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) meets every few years to review the known facts on global warming. They look at graphs and use their knowledge to come up with statements that are known about what causes global warming.

The gas that is most responsible for global warming is carbon dioxide. Burning fires and gases emitted from engines, machines, and factories are some ways that humans emit carbon dioxide. Methane is another greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming. It is emitted from landfills, animals, and fertilizers. But, a methane molecule traps twenty times more heat than carbon dioxide, which makes it the most harsh greenhouse gas that can affect the atmosphere. The burning of fossil fuels in cars, factories, and electricity usage also effect global warming by putting greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

Global warming will have some serious effects on the world as time progresses. One effect of global warming is the rise of sea levels because of the melting of massive ice sheets. Another effect of global warming is that dangerous storms will become more frequent due to the rising temperatures of the world’s oceans. Next, many species will become extinct because those animals could not adapt to the climate change.

Here are some facts about our changing world because of global warming over the years. The average temperatures have increased by one point four degrees Fahrenheit around the world since 1880. Then, the rate of warming is increasing, the twentieth century’s last two decades were the hottest in four hundred years. Next, artic ice is decreasing at a high rate. Furthermore, humans are giving off too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere much faster than plants and oceans can absorb it.

We can stop global warming by decreasing the amount of greenhouse gases going into the atmosphere. People can use less electricity by using more solar powered equipment. Next, we can stop burning fossil fuels, and instead we can use organic materials to make fuel, use nuclear energy, and use hydrogen. Lastly, we can drive more hybrid cars, so there will be no carbon dioxide being emitted into the atmosphere.

Altogether, I think that humans emitting too much greenhouse gases which worsen global warming. The world is going to change later on in the years, because of our mistake, so we have to realize what we are doing and stop it.

Sources:

http://www.aproundtable.org/tps30info/globalwarmup.html

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/gw-causes/

http://planetsave.com/2009/06/07/global-warming-effects-and-causes-a-top-10-list/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/12/1206_041206_global_warming_2.html

Venus -This object is worth exploring because Venus is not a planet that we are relatively familiar with, and talk about everyday. There might be a new species of life there that no one could even imagine about. Next, I would like to explore its moons. -The farthest Venus ever gets from earth in its elliptical orbit is 261 million km. When Venus is closets to earth in its elliptical orbit, which is called opposition, the distance is 38 million km. -Venus is only slightly smaller than Earth (95% of Earth's diameter, 80% of Earth's mass) -Venus is the second planet from the Sun and the sixth largest -224.7 days- period of revolution -243 days- period of rotation at equator -12,104 km- equatorial diameter -0.82- mass relative to earth (1) - Venus shows phases when viewed with a telescope from the perspective of Earth -Venus has no moons at all! The reason for that is because Venus is rotating backwards from the other planets. Venus rotates counter clockwise 
 -The first spacecraft to visit Venus was Mariner 2 in 1962 
 -Venus’ atmosphere consists of mostly carbon dioxide -Venus has several layers of clouds many kilometers thick composed of sulfuric acid 
 -There are strong (350 kph) winds at the tops of the clouds -Venus is very dry, but may had large bodies of water like earth, the water boiled away -Venus is the brightest celestial object in the sky, after the sun and moon -No one actually discovered Venus itself, the bright object was just known to the human eye since prehistoric times. But, later on people came to know that Venus is a planet. First Copernicus made a model of the solar system, showing that Venus orbited the sun just like the earth. After that in 1610 Galileo Galilei saw Venus through his telescope, seeing that Venus is a planet that goes through phases. So from that observation, he concluded that Venus orbited the sun. That proved Copernicus’ theory. I enjoyed exploring Venus the great bright planet. Here's a website that you can keep on exploring Venus! http://nineplanets.org/venus.htm

l

Hi! I'm Melina Hamaoui, and I am in Mr.Ullrich's Earth Science class. I enjoy science, math, and art. I like to play tennis and go to dance classes. I dance ballet and theater dance. My favorite colors are pink and blue. I DO NOT enjoy reading, but I love to write poems.In school I take French. I am Egyptin and Persian. I hope you enjoyed a glimpse about me! I can't wait to put more posts up, and hear your comments! Bye!!!:)