Copyright (c) 2014 by Sam G Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Sam G -- Blogmeister

Sam G.

Period 1/2 2011

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Sam G

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

A massive solar flarehit earth sometime 10 am tuesday ET. This poses a big danger for airline flights. A large amount of electromagnectic burst ( full of dangerous uv radiation)enter the atmosphere, putting a tough fight with our depleting ozone layer. The ozone layer is depleting from global warming. This flare is stronger that the flare since the halloween stroms of 2003. Astronomers believe that we are on the way to the 2013 peak. These types of flare will be more common and potenially more dangerous. But as we move up the scale to X Class flares we will have radio disturbance and other events like that. Astronomers say this will not cause any damage. But as a precaustion, all polar flights are re directed.

This is a video from MSNBC about the topic.

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 93

I am a person that supports the theory of Global Warming. CO2 levels, caused by humans and the growing use of fossil fuels, have increased drastically.

One clear and major example is that natural disasters have become increasingly more frequent. The Artic Ice has been retreating faster than expected. Temperatures globally are getting hotter. Sea level has been steadily rising. Another one is that precipitation, globally have increased. All these things are disturbing the delicate studies of glaciology and palynology. The changes in climate are also messing up the delicate balance of the ecosystems. Later, worse things could happen. Hurricanes will be intensified greatly and floods and droughts will be more common. Your front door step could be an ocean, imagine the kind of property tax you would have to pay. Hundreds of species will be extinct.

An important question is that can we fix our mistakes? On the test? No. But on Global Warming? Yes. We need to break free of our dependence on fossil fuels, and look to other renewable sources. In some places this has already been happening. Miles and miles of wind farms have been made. Cars instead of fuel use electricity. Instead of destroying a park, we are planting new trees. In Iceland, they use geo-thermal energy. Recovery has been taking place for months now. But the effect is little, unless you do your part in taking care of the environment.

[LINK]#

[LINK]

[LINK]

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 12:55 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 171

Do you know what would be the coolest thing? If we lived on Mars. How cool would that be? We could do crazy stunts, because of the less gravity and go on a scenic view to the largest canyon and the largest mountain in the solar system that we know of. But first we have to find if we could live there. Then find a way to get there. Then stay alive long enough so we can show studies. Its not an easy task. Mars itself is over 300 million miles far.

NASA is sending a Mars science lab. They are trying to find any organic compounds that might give a hint of life. A few organic compounds they hope to find are carbon and hydrogen. By finding certain substances, based on earth, it will tell us if mars had any life or can support life. If there are substances that kill life, then we need more work. But if there are organic compounds, then that might help us make a manned mission to Mars. That also might help make rovers that might be able to located water or proof of past water.

I am so excited that we are getting so close that we might find life or go to Mars to begin with.

Hey viewers, my name is Sam. I'm in the 8th grade and in Mr. Ullrich's Earth Science Class. My favorite sport is soccer. My favorite subjects are math and science. I want to become a surgeon as a profession. And these are my turtles: