Copyright (c) 2014 by Manny D Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Manny D -- Blogmeister

Manny's Eighth Grade Adventure

Period 1/2 2011

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Manny D

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

Recently it has snowed in New York and in my area about three to six inches. This is the first accumulation of snow we have seen this winter for New York residents. The only other time where there was accumulation of snow was in October. I have come up with a prediction for the rest of the year for the New York City- Long Island area. Through some reasearch and calculations I have found out the the majority of the snow fall in New York typicallly happens in February. The January of 2011 last year was an exception. Last year in January two blizzards accured totalling to around 30 inches in one month. This year my final prediction for January will be 9 inches of snow for the Long Island area. For February around 15 inches of snow. Totalling for about 26 inches when adding the October snowfall. Feel free to comment and send your predictions on how much it will snow locally where ever you live.  That's will be it folks and have a nice and wonderful winter.

This articlse will be on the topic of global warming. There has been a huge controversy on this subject and if it is true or not. I have done some research myself to find some hard evidence to make a conclusion. Global Warming is false. If you look through previous temperature records fromthe years 1950-present there has been a cyclic change in temperature. There has been periods of global cooling and warming through these periods and it shows reduced effects that reach almost a equalibrium. It takes about ten years of a single part of the cycle to change. It is usually a period of 10 years of warming and cooling that rotate on and off through out the following decades. Although our impact in this cyclic change is not positive, it does not seem to be having a massive effect to our atmosphere. Through years people have claimed to have discovered the world's great times of cooling and warming and the truth is, it is pretty easy to predict something that happens quite often. 

The dwarf planet of Ceres. It is the largest object located in the astroid belt, but the smallest of the dwarf planets in our solar system ( there are three in total Pluto, Eris, and Ceres). It is located in the astroid belt, which is between Mars and Jupiter. It was discovered in the year 1801 and was at one point a planet, but was later dropped. Then it was classified as a astroid then finally in 2006 it was reclassified to be a dwarf planet. It's minimum distance from Earth is about 147,098,074 km. It is also has a diameter of about 950 kilometers which is much less then our Earth's 12,756 km. We have not yet landed on Ceres, even with a rover we could not reach it, because of it's many astroids around it. So it would be very interesting to visit this uncharted land where there has been no evidence of man. Although one who did visit might have a very good chance of getting hit by an adtroid, because of it's location. A very resource full sight that I used to find out a lot of information on Ceres was http://www.solarviews.com/eng/ceres.htm. If my fellow bloggers would like to follow me I will be making updates every Saturday, but they might come late, becuase of the approval that has to go through ok. Have A great week everbody!!!

Article posted October 24, 2011 at 11:59 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 116

Hello fellow bloggers my name is Manny D and I sure am excited for Earth Science this year. My favorite subjects would have to be science and social studies. I am also an avid soccer and hockey player. Some of my hobbies include golf, fishing,and farming. I am also Portuguese. Being that I am very proud of my heritage you will probaly be hearing updates about what is going on in Portugal. Eighth grade I'm sure will be a fun year for me and all of my classmates. I hope it is for you to. Update will be made regularly and feel free to visit again.