In honour of Family Literacy Day’s 15th year, ABC Life Literacy Canada is encouraging Canadian families to have "15 Minutes of Fun" learning together. Learning can happen at any time. Practicing literacy together for just 15 minutes a day has tremendous benefits for both children and parents. Here are some great ways to get started:
- Create your own comic strip about your family.
- Invent two new endings to your favourite book.
- Make up a new recipe together and post it online.
- Tell knock-knock jokes together while doing the dishes.
- Sing five songs really, really loud!
- Invent a new game while playing at the park.
- Read a story to your pet (or favourite toy).
- Make a paper fortune teller with eight fortunes.
- Write a silly poem and tell it to your family at dinner.
- Log on to your favourite word game - can you beat your best score?
- Create your family tree.
- Play rhyming "I Spy" - "I spy something that rhymes with..."
- Play a board game together.
- Text your friend and tell them about your holiday.
- Find 15 things that begin with the letter "S".
Visit the HSBC Learning Activity Centre for more fun literacy activities you can complete as a family! See related links: Family Literacy