Copyright (c) 2014 by JM Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
JM -- Blogmeister

-

by JM teacher: Mrs. B - Grade 5 (2013-2014)

Article posted May 27, 2014 at 12:01 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 333

Tornadoes

Text Box: What To Do In a Tornado:<br /><br />
1.  Hide in Sturdy Buildings<br /><br />
2.  Basements and rooms without windows.<br /><br />
3.  If on land, go to a ditch.<br /><br />
4.  Never hide in cars.<br /><br />

Introduction

Did you know that Tornadoes are one of the most destructive storms? In this article will be informing you that tornadoes are very hazardous. The Fujita scale rates tornadoes by damaged caused. Also one tornado happened that was very destructive. It took place on May 3rd 1999 in Oklahoma. 3 highway overpasses were directly destructed by a tornado. 2000 homes were destroyed and 7000 were only damaged and people were lucky because only about a dozen died. Tornadoes can happen almost anywhere on earth. Have you ever wondered how tornadoes are formed? Do you know how much tornadoes can destruct? Do you know what to do to save your life during a Tornado? Well read more to find out how tornadoes are formed, and how many types there are.

Text Box: Oklahoman Tornado 1999 999919989
color:red">Formation

Thunderstorms give birth to tornados called supercells. Supercells are huge storms. Most Supercells have hail, heavy rain, and extremely strong winds. These supercells form tornadoes. First a strong wind blows on another wind that is going the opposite direction. This causes the air to spin on its side. Second an updraft hits the spinning air causing the wind to blow in the upper direction. When this happens it’s called a funnel cloud. Because the storm is spinning faster and faster it gets longer and longer. Eventually it pushes down through the bottom of the storm cloud. If the funnel cloud hits the ground it is a tornado!
color:#002060">

color:red">Types

Text Box: Multiple- Vortex Tornado           There are many types of Tornadoes.  One of them is called a multiple-vortex tornado. A multiple-vortex tornado happens when two or more, smaller tornadoes rotate around the same place. Another type of tornado is called a Waterspout. A Waterspout is a tornado happening in the water. Waterspouts travel slowly and are less destructive. The third type of tornado is called a Dust Devil. Dust Devils are tornadoes that are made of Sand. They are the only Tornadoes that happen in the sun and not in a thunderstorm. That is why they’re the weakest type of tornadoes. The Next Type of Tornado is called a Fire Whirl. It can occur next to any intense surface heat source.  Another Type is called a Gustnado.  It is small and has a vertical swirl and is associated with a gust front or downburst. The last type of tornado is called a steam devil. A steam devil is a rotating updraft that has steam or smoke.

Text Box: Interesting Facts<br /><br />
1.  Tornadoes are one of the most destructive storms. 2. A tornado can be spinning more than 400 km ph.<br /><br />
3.  Tornadoes are the most violent concentration of energy the atmosphere can produce. 4. Small tornadoes sometimes form at the edges of huge tornadoes.<br /><br />
5.  Tornado comes from the Latin word “tornare” which means thunderstorm.<br /><br />

color:red"> 

Bibliography

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:red">Bibliography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado

http://school.eb.com/levels/elementary/article/399626

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";color:red">Books

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";

color:red"> 

Tornadoes and other terrible storms by Michael Allaby pg. 26 – 34

"Times New Roman";color:red">Images

"Times New Roman";color:red"> 

"Times New Roman";color:red">http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/natural-disasters/eye-of-tornado.htm

"Times New Roman";color:red">http://pauldouglassaintcloud.blogspot.com/2009/06/nagging-severe-storm-threat.html

"Times New Roman";color:red">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Oklahoma_tornado_outbreak

"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman""> 

Article posted March 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 155

Homework is Helpful but Too Much Isn’t

Dear Mrs. Richani,       Date: March 18, 2014

I am here to convince you that homework is helpful, but too much isn’t. I have read two articles about homework and I would like you to hear my opinion and why too much homework isn’t helpful, but homework in general is…

Many children do not like their homework because it ruins their playtime, but I have done some research whether or not it’s helpful or harmful. There has been a debate between parents, teachers, and educators whether or not to give students homework, and I strongly believe that homework is helpful and shouldn’t be banned from schools, but too much homework won’t help.  Many people say that maybe a parent or a brother in a higher grade would do their child’s homework, but do you really think it is true? Since middle school and high school students have much more homework than elementary students. I wrote 3 reasons on why homework is helpful and why too much homework isn’t helpful and I will explain why…

I truly believe that homework is helpful and shouldn’t be banned from schools because homework helps clarify what was learned during school. In addition children at school might not fully understand what they had learned. Homework would help them understand more what they have learned at school that day. According to Hill, Spencer, Alston, and Fitzgerald, they indicate that homework is an inexpensive method of improving student academic preparation. “So, as the pressure to improve test scores continues to increase, so does the emphasis on homework.” Homework can also help review for a test. Did you know that some parents do not know what their children are doing at school because the child might not inform him or her?  With homework it will help the parents see what their children is doing at school in all subjects like math, social studies, literacy, science etc… Although, children shouldn’t have a lot of homework and this next paragraph will tell you why…

As I mentioned before I am very sure that children shouldn’t have a lot of homework because too much homework can keep the student late at night, and when the students go to school the next day they won’t concentrate at school from how tired they are. Therefore, when children do not have a lot of homework they can sleep early and they will not be tired the next day at school. As I mentioned before parents, brother, or sisters can do the child’s homework. If a child’s parent, brother, or sister does the child’s homework the child will not learn or review what he has done in class. Additionally I don’t really think that a brother or sister could do their child’s homework since high school and middle school students have already plenty of homework for themselves. Parents shouldn’t do their child’s homework because the child will not understand better of what he had done in class.

Most children do not like homework, and I am one of them, but I indeed believe that homework is helpful and can make you reach higher places in life. For example if you study really well for a test and get a really high grade that would go on your report card which will be sent to universities (If you were in High School) and get you to a really good university. While if you do not study hard on your test you will be sent to a university that is standard leveled. Studying hard can really help you in life and can help you reach mastery like if you are willing to be a doctor when you grow up you would have to study biology. If that child does not study well for his tests he will get a bad grade and that child will not succeed in biology and will not be able to be a doctor because his grades would be too low.    

I cannot change children’s mind about homework. If children hate it, it is their problem and not mine. All I am trying to do is convince you that homework will help you succeed in life, but too much homework is not helpful and will tire you the next day at school. As I mentioned before I do not like homework and nothing will change my mind, but I know that it is helpful and it will help me succeed in life, but I think too much won’t be helpful. I must say this one more time for you to get this message. I strongly believe that homework is helpful, but too much homework isn’t helpful. Mrs. Richani, thank you for reading this persuasive letter I wrote to you.

Sincerely,

JM 5B

Wingdings">JJJ

Article posted January 9, 2014 at 02:24 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 274

“I am falling! Help! Help!” as I slowly fell off of a cuddly pillow onto a hard surface where my eye fell off and a creepy woman they call a (Housekeeper) had to give me a surgery. “Why don’t you like me anymore?” I sobbed and sobbed as I remembered times where you hugged me, cuddled me, and loved me. I watched you get closer “Are you finally coming back for me?” I hoped. He is finally looking at me and a second later your ugly T-shirt was on me and I say “Peeeuuuu…! Seriously don’t you put deodorant like most women or men do or at least some cologne? You are too hairy seriously; you should do something about it.” The ugly piece of cloth finally lifted off of me into a basket.

Slowly, slowly a puny human entered the room and he had soft cheeks, soft skin, and brown hair. He was coming closer to me and you stepped on to the bed and squished me “I love you to, but you’re invading my space here!” Later you picked me up and took me on an adventure to a place I have never been to, the (Living Room) that I feel is not very alive since it’s the Living Room. Anyway whenever you go there I see this purple dragon singing songs called (Barney). I have to admit he is very funny.

http://hdwallpapersuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Shaggy_L_Cuddles_48_Amber_I_love_you_heart_teddy_bear_1__30835.1334448697.1280.1280.jpg     Finally darkness arrives and I am horrified like usual. “I don’t like this.” as I start biting my claws. As the chubby toddler enters the room and climbs on the bed and hugs me I feel happy, safe, and loved. “But seriously I need space here!”

color:red;mso-style-textoutline-type:solid;mso-style-textoutline-fill-color:

#D02E29;mso-style-textoutline-fill-themecolor:accent2;mso-style-textoutline-fill-alpha:

100.0%;mso-style-textoutline-fill-colortransforms:"shade=85000 satm=155000";

mso-style-textoutline-outlinestyle-dpiwidth:.965pt;mso-style-textoutline-outlinestyle-linecap:

flat;mso-style-textoutline-outlinestyle-join:miter;mso-style-textoutline-outlinestyle-pctmiterlimit:

0%;mso-style-textoutline-outlinestyle-dash:solid;mso-style-textoutline-outlinestyle-align:

center;mso-style-textoutline-outlinestyle-compound:double;mso-style-textfill-type:

gradient;mso-style-textfill-fill-gradientfill-shadetype:linear;mso-style-textfill-fill-gradientfill-shade-linearshade-angle:

5400000;mso-style-textfill-fill-gradientfill-shade-linearshade-fscaled:no;

mso-style-textfill-fill-gradientfill-stoplist:"10000 #FBF3F3 5 100000 tint=10000 satm=155000,60000 #F3D8D8 5 100000 tint=30000 satm=155000,100000 #E38C8A 5 100000 tint=73000 satm=155000";

mso-effects-shadow-color:black;mso-effects-shadow-alpha:35.0%;mso-effects-shadow-dpiradius:

3.0pt;mso-effects-shadow-dpidistance:3.0pt;mso-effects-shadow-angledirection:

7020000;mso-effects-shadow-align:topleft;mso-effects-shadow-pctsx:100.0%;

mso-effects-shadow-pctsy:100.0%;mso-effects-shadow-anglekx:0;mso-effects-shadow-angleky:

0">JM 5B   

0">

Article posted December 17, 2013 at 09:04 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 112

Why Do We Sneeze?

When I inquired on why we sneeze I was very curious to know. Luckily, I found out many interesting things about this topic.  Are you curious to know? If yes carry on reading this.

When you breathe some specks in the air like dust or pollen goes to the inside of your nose. When it comes in your nose those specks irritate the nose so it comes out. Did you know that you get out100,000 germs when you sneeze? So try not to sneeze on someone by accident.

Some other specks that could make you sneeze are cat hair, mold, pepper grains, germs, and even when you are allergic to something. Yes, sneezing is a symptom of an allergic reaction! Also, the first symptom of getting a cold can be sneezing. Did you know that sunlight can make you sneeze.

Did you know that coughs are like sneezes? Well, it’s because when you breathe from your nose dust or other specks from your nose, it irritates it and it comes out by sneezing. While when you breathe from your mouth dust more gets out from your mouth by coughing.

When you sneeze repeatedly it either means, you’re getting a cold, or the speck irritating your nose doesn’t come out.

Sneezing helps a lot. It helps get all the germs, dust etc… get out of your nose, so don’t try to stop yourself from something because then the germs will stay in for too long.

When something irritates your nose its sends a message through nerve cells to apart of your brain called the sneeze center. The sneeze center tells all muscles to function for this process which is a sneeze. That’s why you close your eyes when you sneeze!!

Sneezing may seem disgusting to you, but wasn’t this fascinating. Remember, if someone asks you why you sneeze you answer him because this story told you all about sneezing.
Wingdings">J

Bibliography: Why Do I Sneeze by Angela Royston. p.8          

http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/sneeze.html

Article posted December 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 131

When I Got My IPad

Do you like presents? You obviously do. So I am going to tell you a story about the best day ever. You probably know what the present is, from the title, but there is more behind it.

It was a sunny morning in Beirut airport at 11:00 when we were going to Dubai or as I call it “My Dream Town!” I loved it. Water parks, malls, and so much more! In the airport stood there with my weightless bag pack awkwardly, while my brothers were holding four mountainous bags. As I stood there I tried not to make a sound because I was certain they would make me hold a bag. “Phew, they didn’t notice.” I thought.    

Walking to the plane I saw a man standing next to a huge, green trash can where it said no smoking, and yet he was smoking. Awkward, right? It was three long hours of flying to Dubai. How worse could it get? Reader it did get worse. The flight was delayed by 30 minutes where my IPhone, IPod, and Mac where packed and prohibited by my mom to use.

“Finally!! We are entering the plane!!” I thanked. The plane was a catastrophe. Babies crying, no IPod, no appropriate movies I could watch, all I could do was shut my eyes for the whole flight. But how could I? That stupid, inconsiderate, and loud baby wouldn’t let me sleep!! “Shut up!!” I demanded in my head. Reader it worked, the baby shut its stupid mouth.

3 hours later… I was back on my feet as soon as I woke up by Samer shaking my face. We walked and walked with tons of bags in our hand waiting for the next enormous bag. In a split second my dad popped out in my and I hugged him. I missed him. It has been a month, or even two, I missed my dad so much!! In the car Samer kept shoving me to the left side while Karim was shoving me to the other. Oh, how annoying!!

“We’re here!! We’re here!! I’m here in my cozy house in Dubai.” I repeated. I looked around the house. Christmas tree, Presents, tomorrows Christmas!! Christmas, oh how I love Christmas, there’s Christmas tree, the decorations, the ornaments, the lights, and most of all the PRESENTS!

The next morning was Christmas morning, my favorite day of the year other than my birthday. I was so hyper that my mom thought I was on a sugar hive. We all woke up at 7:30, except for my brother Karim. The person who always wakes up at 10:00. We waited and waited for two hours and thirty minutes. TWO HOURS AND THIRTY MINUTES!! 10:00 finally passed but he didn’t wake up from that bed. “That’s so unfair” I whined. I was bursting with hilarity when my parents finally agreed with me to open the presents without Karim. I felt devious.

First was Samer’s turn to open his present. He opened something he loved and made a big deal about it. It was a watch “It’s so beautiful!!”Samer loved it. I honestly hated it. Next was Mom I knew she was getting the best present since she’s the hard worker because she cooks for us did the most work for us, but I am the perfect one. An IPhone “Lucky” I thought. Next was me it was a moment to remember it was Bubby Junior which was what I called my IPad.  

I adored my IPad. An IPad, can you believe it!! Reader this was a moment to never forget. I loved it, I loved it, I loved it. That was delightful, wasn’t it? I hope so, because for me it was a dream come true.

Article posted November 27, 2013 at 08:46 AM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 133

Article posted November 26, 2013 at 03:05 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 142

Revenge 

Do you hate your brother? Do you need help in getting revenge? If yes I advise you to carry on reading and if you are the hateful brother STOP READING NOW!!

It all started when my brother was staring at his math copy book and I was standing awkwardly behind his puffy chair. I stared at him and finally he started to get scared. Afterwards I had a stunning idea where I would come to take my REVENGE!! Suddenly he started looking at his ugly watch and I remembered the party at 11:00 am but I wasn’t sure if it was the exact time so I had to ask him, “Samer what time is you party? I just want to make sure when you leave.” I said nicely but it was devious in my mind. “It’s time” I said to myself.     Reader do you want to know what the secret plan is? Well here it is. “Since it is 10:00 I can switch Samer’s watch 1 hour behind and get him late to the party. Mwahahahaha!! Mwahahahaha!!” I yelled out loud in my bathroom. Finally he is excreting in his bathroom so I can change the time on his watch. For some reason I started giggling when I remembered he was walking to the party.     Its 11:30 “Mommy!!” I shouted. “You’re Home.” I hugged her. For no reason she scurried to Samer’s room “Samer you’re late!!” she shouted. He looked at his watch and asked “For what?” “For the party its 11:30!!” “No it isn’t its 10:30.” “Look at my watch, look at the kitchen clock, look at the TV time its 11:30!!” My mom shouted “What!! Its 11:30. Who did this, who is the one that changed the time on my watch?” First he looked at mom then he looked at me “Jad!!” First I giggled, next I started smiling, and finally I started laughing. Later he was chasing me around the house until I hid behind mom. As soon as he found me hiding behind mom I whispered something fascinating, something devious something called “REVENGE!!” so Samer shouted “Jad changed the time on my watch, punish him, PUNISH HIM!!” “Actually I am going to punish you.” said mom in her your fault voice. “Why?” “Because you kept on annoying cute, adorable, smart, innocent, and generous little Jad.”

What comes around goes around. Am I right?

Article posted November 18, 2013 at 02:09 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 1076

Do you know how your blood flows through all your body? If no, reading this story is good way to learn about it.

First the deoxygenated blood goes through the Superior Vena Cava which carries deoxygenated blood from the upper part of the blood. The Inferior Vena Cava which carries deoxygenated blood from the lower part of the body into the right Atrium. From the right Atrium, it contracts the blood to the Tricuspid Valve entering the Right Ventricle. Later the Right ventricle contracts the blood to the Pulmonary Artery (The only Artery that carries deoxygenated blood because it is taking the blood away from the heart) into the lungs. In the Lungs you exhale the wastes (Carbon Dioxide/CO2) and inhale oxygen.

Afterwards the oxygenated blood goes through the Pulmonary Vein (The only vein that carries oxygenated blood because Veins enter the heart while Arteries do not) entering the left Atrium. Then the left Atrium contracts the blood to the Mitral Valve entering the left Ventricle. When the left Ventricle is full of blood it contract the blood into the Aorta which leads to all the body parts. Were you fascinated with information? I hope so because I myself was very interested in writing this. I hope you learned something new from this passage. 

Article posted November 13, 2013 at 02:53 PM GMT+2 • comment • Reads 162

Article posted September 18, 2013 at 02:56 PM GMT+2 • comment (3) • Reads 174

1) My favorite food is popcorn.

2) My favorite restaurant is called,"P.F Changs."

3) My favorite sport is swimming.

4) My favorite subject is art.

4) I love playing tetherball.

5) I like to be challenged.

6) My favorite movie is called,"Despicable Me 2."

7) My favorite color is red.