Copyright (c) 2014 by Shannon Mello & Alison Feldman Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister

Mountain Ridge Middle School Art

Exploring the Elements and Principles of Design through a class of discovery and experimentation.

by Shannon Mello & Alison Feldman

No Links added yet!

You might not think the Elements of Art and the Principles of Design have anything to do with your daily routine.  An assignment we give our students is to think of two colors and two elements or principles and write about how those art basics will impact their weekend.  Responses include everything from the TEXTURE of the grass on which they play soccer, baseball or football.  The COLORS of their uniforms, rooms or clothing.  LINES on the football field or in the spokes of their bicycles.  RHYTHM as they move along the dance floor.  Those Elements and Principles really are everywhere!  

Look at that mosaic on the bench.  What Elements and Principles are staring at you? 

Now, slowly look around where you are at this moment...what else do you discover?  Can you find PATTERN?  Anyone see VALUE?  FORMS or SHAPES?  Be careful, those last two can be pesky and easily mislabeled.  Have fun with your new vsion of art! 

Article posted October 23, 2011 at 06:51 PM • comment (1) • Reads 1884 • see all articles

6th Grade 3-D Art
8th Grade 3-D Art