Copyright (c) 2014 by Shannon Mello & Alison Feldman Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister

Mountain Ridge Middle School Art

2-D & 3-D Art

Exploring the Elements and Principles of Design through a class of discovery and experimentation.

by Shannon Mello & Alison Feldman

Article posted July 18, 2012 at 03:34 PM GMT • comment • Reads 317

Article posted April 26, 2012 at 03:26 AM GMT • comment • Reads 97

Deciding what to create can be one of the toughest parts of a project.  The two previous posts will not only assist you, but so will observing your surroundings.  Are the zig zag lines from your backpack interesting to you?  Does the circular motion of the throwing wheel have your mind set on spirals?  Does the splatter of clay on your pants inspire you to try "Jackson Pollock" style painting?  Inspiration is everywhere!

Choice Art offers a new opportunity for students to explore materials and techniques as they so choose.  The difficuly for some students is simply figuring out what to do!  Here are some suggestions to get your creative juices flowing.  Look around you at colors, textures, patterns and lines.  You need to do research...VISUAL RESEARCH!  What looks cool to you?  What intrigues you?  Dig though books and magazines and snip out things that catch your eye.  Make a page in your sketchbook without giving it much thought - fill that page with your collection of eyecatching bits and pieces.  Now, look at the page and see where it takes you.  Start doodling...fill a page with doodles.  Can you put the two things together?  Take some 3D bits and manipulate them into different forms.  How could you add those forms to your collection of eyecatching bits and your page of doodles?  Add a poem.  Add words.  Tear something.  Fold, paint, rework. 

Remember to look at the links on the left side of this page.  There are sites with lesson plans that include instructional videos to guide you into new arenas.  Look at the Blick site under lesson plans (they aren't just for teachers)!  Lots of those lesson plans have videos.  Look at a few of them and figure out how you can personaliza that project  and make it your own.

Challenge yourself and get put of your comfort zone.  Stop doing things that you know how to do!  Take artistic risks!  Fail once in awhile...there really is no failure in ART - you are learning all the time.

Article posted October 24, 2011 at 12:51 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 2388

You might not think the Elements of Art and the Principles of Design have anything to do with your daily routine.  An assignment we give our students is to think of two colors and two elements or principles and write about how those art basics will impact their weekend.  Responses include everything from the TEXTURE of the grass on which they play soccer, baseball or football.  The COLORS of their uniforms, rooms or clothing.  LINES on the football field or in the spokes of their bicycles.  RHYTHM as they move along the dance floor.  Those Elements and Principles really are everywhere!  

Look at that mosaic on the bench.  What Elements and Principles are staring at you? 

Now, slowly look around where you are at this moment...what else do you discover?  Can you find PATTERN?  Anyone see VALUE?  FORMS or SHAPES?  Be careful, those last two can be pesky and easily mislabeled.  Have fun with your new vsion of art! 

Art is all around you.  Do you know where this sculpture is located?  Look around and find the art near your home and in your community.  Art pulls us together as a community.  Let's explore and see what we can find!  Challenge on!

New student work will be posted in the next few days.  Be sure to check it out on the link to the left!

Which Art Principles can be found in this painting?

1. Did you know that Vincent van Gogh only sold one painting during his lifetime? 2. In 1962 Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa was valued at $100 million. That was in 1962!! 3. In the painting by Edvard Munch, "The Scream", the person in the painting was scared because a storm was on its way. Terrifying!

6th Grade 3-D Art
8th Grade 3-D Art

No Links added yet!