Copyright (c) 2014 by Angela Ellis Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Angela Ellis -- Blogmeister

6F Blogwart's Express

Grade 6 English Language Arts

by Angela Ellis

Mr.E's Blog
Haultain Hawks Blog
Gateway Community School
City of Meadow Lake
Mrs. Casey - Rhode Island

Hello everyone!  We are certainly enjoying this very mild March up here in North West Saskatchewan.  The snow is nearly gone and all the playground mini sticks have been replaced with basketballs and soccerballs.  

Our school is still in the process of being re-wired.  It's pretty much a disaster zone, but we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We apologize once again for our limited posts and replies.  Hopefully by the end of the month, we will be fully operational again!

Here is your writing prompt for this week.  We look forward to reading your articles!

Consider the following questions. What would happen if everyone lived in space? What type of houses would they live in? What type of clothing would they wear? What type of food would they eat? How would they travel?

February is "I Love to Read" month at Gateway School. Help us to promote good books by reccommending your favourites.  Create a list of at least five books that you love.  Give a brief description of each book.  Happy reading!

Happy new year everyone!  We are excited to get back into the swing of things here at Gateway School.  Currently, our technology access is very limited.  We are grateful though, because our whole school is being re-wired, and re-stocked with new computers and a new mobile lab.  Even our two main computer labs are being renovated!  We look forward to being hooked up with newer, faster equipment.

In January of 1984, Apple Macintosh was introduced. Since 1984 computers have evolved a great deal. What do you think computers may look like in the next 20 years? How will they be used?  What will be their capabilities?  Outline your ideas in a paragraph. 

Article posted December 9, 2011 at 04:17 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 40

First off, I want to apologize for posting this so late.  My little boy has been very sick this week, and now I too, seem to have caught the same stomach bug.  I have spent a large portion of my week trying to figure out ways to make my son feel better. I admit, I have not been very successful.  I NEED YOUR HELP!

Think back to the times in your life when you have been sick.  Write a short paragraph about the ways others (family, friends, etc.)  have helped you to feel better.

*** By the way, we are computerless at Gateway School right now.  Yes, I said COMPUTERLESS!!!!  AHHHHHHH.  Our two computer labs and library are being renovated.  All of our older computers are being rolled out and new ones are coming in.  You may not see updates from us until after Christmas!  Happy Holidays everyone.

Article posted November 18, 2011 at 04:51 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 38

Welcome back to Friday writing everyone. 

Have you ever met a celebrity?  A celebrity is a person  who commands a great degree of public fascination and influence in day-to-day media. My favorite celebrity is Mario Lemieux. Everyone knows who Mario Lemieux is right?  No? **gasp**  He's only the greatest hockey player EVER! 

If you could sit down for breakfast with any celebrity, who would it be?  Explain your choice in a few sentences then list five questions you would ask in conversation.

Welcome back for a short week 6F!  Today you are responsible for three tasks:

1.  Finish your "candy" article if you have not done so yet.

2.  Print off your "candy" article to use in an assignment tomorrow. (hand it in to Mrs. Ellis)

3.  Respond to at least four articles other than your own.

Have a great Monday!

Article posted October 20, 2011 at 03:21 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 37

Hello everyone! Before I describe your Friday writing assignment, I just want to shout out a big THANK YOU to Mr. Ellis, Ms. Brown, and the students of Connaught and Haultain Schools for welcoming us into this writing community.  It's been a wonderful experience! 

Everyone loves a good school field trip. Where would you like to go with your class? Write a persuasive paragraph that will convince your teacher to take you and your classmates on a field trip of your choice. Remember, persuasion is based on facts, logical reasons, and examples.  As always, include a topic sentence and concluding sentence. 

Article posted October 7, 2011 at 06:06 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 38

It's time to make it official!  Mr. Ellis has posted our very first Friday writing assignment, Please go to his class blog site (found on the left sidebar) to review the assignment.  If you have time before the end of the class, please visit other students' blogs and respond to their work.  Have a great Thanksgiving weekend everyone!

Ok, now that we have the basics down, I want you all to practice posting an article.  Mr. Ellis suggested we try out a Friday writing assigment that his class completed awhile back.  Ms . Brown (Haultain Hawks) posted this a few weeks ago.  Enjoy!

Hi everyone,

Here's today's blog assignment, you are going to write 7 random facts about yourself. The secret is to make the facts interesting but not too personal. Here are my facts:

1. This summer I was in England, Ethiopia, Kenya and Tanzania.

2. I've been teaching in elementary schools for 12 years.

3. I drive a blue smart car.

4. I have a son and a daughter.

5. My favourite snack is popcorn.

6. My eyes are green.

7. I love math and science.

I can't wait to read everyone's random facts. Happy blogging,

Ms. B

Article posted October 4, 2011 at 07:41 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 38

Welcome my brilliant 6F students to the wonderful world of blogging! I know you have been looking forward to learning the ins and outs of online writing communities, and I am excited to learn with you.  Today I will be asking you for a code name that will be used to represent you on our class blog site.  To develop this name, please combine an animal name with a color. For example you could use "aquatiger" or "silverfox".  Be creative.  

We have a wonderful opportunity to develop an online writing community with some great students in other communities.   Mr. E. (whose last name also happens to be Ellis) from North Battleford is going to create a Friday Writing topic for us to respond to this week.  For those of you leaving to play soccer on Friday, no worries.  I'll get something worked out for you. ;-)

On Thursday, we will practice logging into the program and publishing our first post.  We will also try responding to other classmates' work.  Good luck everyone.  I look forward to our adventure in the cloud!

Grade 6F