1.In 6.1 I learned that different surface types can have friction force. in 6.2 i learned thatthe more mass something has, the more friction force it will have. in 6.3 i learned that different surface types have different amount of friction force.

2.You use a "spring scale" and pull it across a surface.

3.I learned that you should only change 1 variable at a time. there are many variables you could change when you are testing something but if you want accurate data, you only change 1 variable at a time. a variable is something that can be changed.

Article posted April 26, 2012 at 03:09 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 42

The mass of one washer is 1.

The weight Of one washer is .2(n)

The spring got longer and tighter.

Mass.

It pulls them down.

I learned the more mass= more weight

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 03:15 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 68

1.we used lots of energy. More than we ever have in 2010

2. It takes less power to cool things down.

3. Do not stick things in sockets that do not belong in it. Don't put broken plugs in a socket.

4. Olive oil, reduced gasoline and battery powered cars.

Well, for the past week or so, we have been learning how to make a battery and what you need to make one. We charged a drained battery for 3 min. And hooked a lightbulb to it. The lightbulb used heat and light energy. The light stayed lit for about 12 min. Then we used another drained battery and charged it for the same amount of time we hooked it to a motor which used mechanical energy. The battery only stayed on for about 7 min. The motor used more energy. Batteries give off electrical energy. That is what turns things on. Batteries have stored chemical energy that help the battery work and give things an electrical charge.

A:the goal of this lesson was to build a battery. Did you succeed? Support your answer with evidence.

A: yes, because to turn on a light it uses energy caused by an electrical charge and our light did turn on,

B:describe what makes up a battery.

B:a battery needs positive and negative energy to give things an electrical charge.

C:what do you conclude from your observations of the zinc-copper strips you placed in the copper sulfate solution ?

C:the zinc was the positive energy and the copper was the negative energy, and them put together into the acid made a battery.

D:what happened to your lightbulb after you removed the assembly from the solution? How could you explain to someone what happened?

D:the light slowly faded and then finally turned off.

E: In these activities you probably noticed that the bulb was not very bright. What could you do to make the bulb glow more brightly?

E:well, I think it depends if you have a lightbulb with larger watts and a larger zinc and copper strip. If it had that I think it would be brighter.

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 04:33 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 53

For the past two weeks we have been presenting what our "job" was. What thats means is at the beginning of the year we were split up into groups. All of our jobs were something we gould test in Chimacum creek. There was nitrates, ammonia, P.H. (posotive hydrogen)  flow rate, D.O. (which is disolved oxygen) and tempeature. In our classroom we have been presentating to the class what our job is and what it means. I learned soooo much!

Over all I think chimacum creek did fantastic. Now heres my proof. With the bugs in our creek we got 21 points. Now that could be better but overall that isnt that bad of a score.

Our average for water temperature was 33.5 degrees f. That is a pretty good average for Chimacum creek. At this temperature the salmon and other life is comfortable and algae wont over grow. Temperature is very important because without a temperature range eventually everything would die. 

The average for P.H. (posotive hydrogen) was 6.3. This average for the creek is pretty good. P.H. is a balance of positive hydrogen ions and negative hydroxide ions. It tells how actitic the water is. Fish need a balance of alkaline and acid.

D.O. is  dissolved oxygen. Our average is 9.16mg/L. This average is fantastic for our creek. It is very comfortable for the fish. Without dissolved oxygen the fish wouldnt live. Dissolved oxygen is the only soure of oxygen they have.

For ammonia the average was 2.828 mg/L. Now if that was true that would be very bad. But we believe that we had a probe that did not work. So we dont know what the average was but we know it  for sure wasnt 2.828mg/L. Ammonia is a chemical that is used in cleaning agents. it is colorless and will kill the fish. The average for nitrates was 0.3. That is really good!

Nitrates is in fertilizers. Our average was 0.38mg/L. For our creek 0.38mg/L is very good. This means that the farmers this year did an outstanding job!

Our average for flow rate was 1.3459 cubic meters per secnd. This is very good for the salmon. Flow rate is the amount and speed of the water that passes by per second.

Overall Chimacum creek is pretty healthy. Everything was about where it should be.

RECCOMENDATIONS TO KEEP THE REEK CLEAN: 1. Dont litter. 2. Keep your gutters and drains clean because when garbage and other stuff goes down gutters and drains it ends up in lakes and rivers and oceans. 3.Keep fertalizers and other products away from the creek.

these are the temperatures of chimacum creek for the past year.

Article posted January 27, 2012 at 04:33 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 69

Yesterday all of the six grade students went to Snow Creek in Discovery Bay. We planted tons of trees. The reason we planted trees is because 1. They are good for the environment. 2. because there arent very many trees out there and the trees that there are are old so now that we planted more trees when the older trees fall over, there will be more trees to surround the creek. Now you may be thinking that trees dont have any effect on the creek but the truth is they do. they affect the creek a lot. They do many things to help the creek. They prevent the creek from eroding (which means dirt falling into the creek and making it smaller or blocking it.) The trees also provide shade that keeps the water cool. there are many other ways that the trees help the environment. I probably could think of many other ways how trees help. The list just goes on and on.

this is our awesome game!!!

Both of these pictures are aquatic worms. The aquatic worms were found in Chimacum creek.