classification of living things 03/20/14
02/11/14
the Hoh Rainforest 10/17/13
Friction force 05/15/12
Guess what? 04/19/12
about my place 03/13/12
chimucum creek 03/01/12
Tory 01/30/12
water pollution 10/16/11
7 random facts 10/14/11
Mt st hellens 10/11/11

MY CREEK JOB WAS TURBIDITY=http://

turbidity is the study of the cloudiness and clearness of water.we check for it because if the water is cloudy,it could be toxins,or acids floating in the water!!!The acids or toxins can effect the water by poisening fish and plants.if it is dead plants in the water,it can block the sunlight from coming in then it would make the living plants sick...we used this little machine and you get a small glass bottle of the creek water (or any water) and you put it in.you hook it up to a labquest and then it will show you the level of cloudiness in the water sample.!!! will finish later!!!!

Acidic and basic are two extremes thatdescribe chemicals, just like hot and cold are two extremes that describe temperature. Mixing acids and bases can cancel out their extreme effects; much like mixing hot and cold water can even out the water temperature. A substance that is neither acidic nor basic is neutral.

The pH scale measures how acidic or basic a substance is. It ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is neutral. A pH less than 7 is acidic, and a pH greater than 7 is basic. Each whole pH value below 7 is ten times more acidic than the next higher value. For example, a pH of 4 is ten times more acidic than a pH of 5 and 100 times (10 times 10) more acidic than a pH of 6. The same holds true for pH values above 7, each of which is ten times more alkaline—another way to say basic—than the next lower whole value. For example, a pH of 10 is ten times more alkaline than a pH of 9.

Article posted June 12, 2012 at 01:07 AM GMT • comment • Reads 89

The whole six grade is doing a project that involves going down to the chimicaum creek and stisking probes in the water but we each have a job to do and one of those jobs is mine and my job is nitrates or known as NO3. other jobs are ph turbidity ammoina temp. and there is something else but i can not remeber it oh well you get the idea we all have a job that we have to do to see if our own chimicaum creek is good or bad.!:)

http://staff.jccc.net/pdecell/chemistry/phscale.gif this a ph salce if you dont under stand what  will write next .

Hi so you want tol learn about our jobs well im in pH. It stands for potential of hydrogen (yes i rememberd).what i learned is that 0,1,2,3,4,5 is not so good 6,7,8 is good (7 is sorta the best to get) 9,10,11,12,13,14 is bad anything above 8 is bad because if its not 6,7,8 then the fish will die and we dont want that. There are other jobs other than pH : there is flow rate,ammonia,nitrates,temperature,dissovled oxygen, turbidity

Hope you enjoyed it

well see you on my next blog=http://=http://

Article posted March 1, 2009 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 79

Tempruture is big part of the fish. If the temperature is to hot it can grow algee, If it is to hot the fish and eggs could die. The hot water is a pollution to the fish. The hiest we want the water is 41-42. If it gets in the 50's and 60's the fish would die. So would say chimacum creek is doing good.

From Mr. G - Temperature is important! Do you know how the other parameters are doing for our creek? Do you think Chimacum Creek is doing well overall? How are the salmon and trout in our creek doing?

Article posted February 3, 2012 at 03:55 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 57

Name _Nicklas S._____________________________        Date _2-1-12_________________

Water Quality Research Questions Research Notes 

What is the parameter? (Write a complete description of it.

Flow Rate is it is the measure of cubic feet per second or gallons per second in a creek or river. Cubic feet per second is expressed: ft3/sec. Flow is a function of water volume and velocity. Stream velocity increases as the streams volume increases. Unless the volume of a stream is the same of the other stream they won't have the same Flow Rate.       

How does it affect water quality?

Large, swiftly flowing rivers can receive pollution discharges and be little affected, whereas small streams have less capacity to dilute and degrade wastes. Stream flow determines the kinds of organisms that can live in the stream, some need fast flowing areas others need slow,

quiet areas.      

How is it measured?

What levels are good?

What levels are acceptable?

What levels are bad?

Flow Rate is measured in cubic ft. per second, or "ft3/sec". Good levels of ft3/sec depends on what lives in the stream. Bad levels are pretty much whats too fast for any fish, macroinvertebrates, ect. Acceptable levels also differ to whats is living in the stream, there really is no good/bad levels, it just depends what the things in the stream need.      

How does this parameter affect fish?

How does this parameter affect humans?

How does this parameter affect vegetation?

Flow Rate affects fish VERY much, fish could be washed away, etc. Fish do need either fast streams or slow streams. Fast-moving streams generally have higher levels of dissolved oxygen than slow streams because they are better aerated. This affects humans because streams with a higher flow can wash away eutrophication, waste, etc.     

D.O is oxygen that dissolves into water . This years average is 8.3 which is good ! You measure D.O with a probe , you put the sensor in the water & it gives the the amount of D.O .

Turbidity

Turbidity is Based on how clean or dirty the water is , high turbidity can kill fish and fish start to abandon habitat and plants will die . Chimacum creeks average of turbidity is in the 30's .

Ammonia

Ammonia can be found in many cleaning products .Ammonia is a colorless gas & strong smelling . The formula of Ammonia is NH3, means it consists of one atom of nitrogen and three atoms of hydrogen .

Nitrates

Nitrogen is In the air ,and is a gas . It can cause a sickness called Methemogoblin . Plants can not use nitrates it's not good for them . N2 is 78% of air .

Flow rate

Flow rate is based on how fast or slow the water is going .Flow rate is measured by a probe with a propeler . Air flow rate is one other type of flow rate . Flow rates average is 1.3 cubic meters per second which is good .

Temperature

temperature is very important to water , if its to cold or to warm fish can die. It takes longer for deeper water to heat up because there is more water . In the summer if the temperature doesnt get over 50 degrees ferenheit then the fish will be fine .

Ph

Ph is Positive Hydrogen , Which is H2O . Ph ranges from 0-14 , 0-6 is Acidic , 7 is Basic (well, 7 is pure H2O, or water, and above 7 all the way to 14 is basic and alkaline because they mean the same thing. - From Mr. G) , And 8-14 is Alkaline ,Human blood is basic so about a 7.3 or 7.5 .

D.o. Is the dissolved oxygen in the water that the fish breath.in d.o. We measure the dissolve oxygen and make sure there is enough for the salmon to breath and live normaly.d.o. Is a simple yet important job.