-

Passion post 01/24/14
7 random facts 2013 11/21/13
Tundra Biome 10/18/13
Log out 05/18/12
kirmit 04/27/12
04/26/12
My dream job 04/17/12
batters 03/23/12
how to make a battery 03/19/12
k. w 03/14/12
where we live 03/13/12
01/30/12
Tree planting 01/27/12
Tree planting 01/27/12
janaes puzzle 11/18/11
Mt. St. Helens 10/03/11
7 facts about me 09/30/11

I learned that friction is a force that happens when two objects rub together. Without friction there would be nothing to stop us from sliding all over the place.

We used a 10/2.5 newton scale to measure the friction force of a wood block and 5 different surface types. I learned from inquiry 6.1 that the force of friction is different when something is dragged across different surfaces.

From inquiry 6.2 I learned that the weight you pull across a surface, the friction force there is. We dragged a block across one particular but, this time we changed the weight that we dragged across the surface. In conclusion, the more weight= the more friction.

From inquiry 6.3 I learned that if something has a smaller surface area with the same weight the smaller surface area has more friction force. For this experiment, we used on block but changed the surface area. The smaller surface area had more friction force.

FRICTION IS FUN=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://!!!

6.1

in lesson 6.1 we learned what tools we needed to use to measure friction. we had to use a spring scale and a block with a hook on the end and we had a ruller and a surface.

6.2

in lesson 6.2 we had to set a surface on a table and make sure we pulled the block across the surface 27 centimeters with the spring scale. After we read the measurement with the spring scale and record our data on a pice of paper.Then we made our own graf and put our data on it.

6.3

in lesson 6.3 we had to measure from 1-4 blocks of friction. then we had to make another graf and plot our data on the graf. then we had to compare our data with some one els in our group.

Article posted May 15, 2012 at 08:22 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 91

I learned that if there was no friction we would never stop walking.And i learned that you can measure friction with a scale and you can make a graph with the measurements you got.Thats what i learned abou friction.

Friction we make every day. I learned that

friction is one of the most that we make rubbing are feet on the ground, brushing our teeth and much more if you think about it we make friction ever day, all day.

I learned that; that if the sandpaper is coarser its harder the pull the block across, and that it'll take more friction to stop it.We measure force by using the spring scales (the newtons side).To measure friction you hook something up to the scale and then pull the scale. Look on the newtons side and you'll see that the friction mesurement rose Friction is when you rub two things together or like writing something. Now about variables... In this lesson(s) the variables you can change are surface type, weight, and surface area. Let's say that you changed the surface type to ice. The block would just slip across. And if you changed the blocks weight by adding one or two more blocks , it will be harder to pull the block across.

It is a good thing we have friction because everthing would just slide every were. Most of the time when the surface area is bigger there is more friction.

6.1 we learned what tools we needed to measure friction

6.2 we got surfaces to slide a block across for 27 centimeters then made a graf and blog

6.3 we did friction test with blocks stack on each other

6.1 I learned that different surface types make more or less friction, like they don't all have the same amount of friction.

6.2 I learned that the more weight on a surface type will make more friction.

6.3 I learned that if you add more surface area on a surface type the friction stays pretty much the same.

The reason we were measuring friction is because we pulled a block across a surface for a certain amount of length which made the force pull backwards which is friction.

Controlled variables:

How far we pulled the blocks

How fast we pulled the blocks

The surface type

Manipulated variable:

Surface type

Weight

Surface area

Controlled = we were in control of the things

Manipulated = we changed it

OK,here is my lesson 6 blog post:

I measured sliding friction force by setting down our surface(course sandpaper) on the table.Then,I

hooked the hook on the Newtons scale to the hook on the wooden block.Then,set the ruler next

to the paper.Pull the newtons scale at a medium speed and the wooden block should follow.Get

to 27 cm and then stop.check the number on the scale.that is the friction force.

I learned,about controlled variables,that Most of the time,you can predict what

happens.Examples are,Surface area,Weight of the load,How far you pull it,etc.

1)    Inquiry 6.1:    I learned that surface areas like coarse sandpaper have more friction,while surface areas like waxpaper have less friciton.

Inquiry 6.2:   I learned that the more weight you have on your surface area,the more friction there is going to be.

Inquiry 6.3:  I learned that if you put the wooden block on its smallest side,it is harder to pull on high friction surfaces like coarse sandpaper.

2)We measured it by hooking the newtons scale to the wooden block and pulling it across the course sandpaper.The weight of the friction pulling on the wooden block will pull on the newtons scale,bringing the metal peice down to take the measurement of the friction force.

3)I learned that with controlled variables you can usually predict what will happen.Examples of controlled variables are the weight of the wooden block,the surface area(course sandpaper),and the distance you pull the block(27 cm).

There,Mr.G i finished it. :P

What have you learned about friction in lesson 6, Inquiries 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3?

6.1: I learned that if you slide a block across a rough surface there is more friction.

6.2:I learned that if there is more weight that your pulling then there is more friction force.

6.3: I learned that if you change the surface area then the friction force varies.

How did you measure sliding friction in the labs you did in class?

We measured the sliding friction in newtons.

What did you learn about controlled variables? Give examples of how you controlled variables during your labs.

I learned that controlled variables are things that you don't change during your test. In our labs we kept the sliding speed the same in all of the labs. Controlled variables are things that you do not mess with.

We measure force by using scales using the newtons side. Friction is like when you rub 2 things together. For example like 2 sticks, or writing!

Variables are a big part. Variables you can change are the surface type, weight, and the surface area.

If you slid it on a ice cube it would be slippery so it would stop right away.

Friction is really cool!

Article posted May 16, 2012 at 07:50 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 53

What did I learn about 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3 in lab?

Friction. I learned you can change many variables. You can change the surface type, area, and the weight.

In 6.1 we changed the surface type. It changes a lot! It had friction because there was contact of the block and the different surface types.

In 6.2 we changed the weight by adding more blocks.it changed by very little.

In 6.3 we changed what way the block was placed. It didn't change at all. Because the weight of the block and the surface type never changed.

Friction is really cool!

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 08:21 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 43

Controlled variables are measured by,

How far we pulled the blocks

How fast we pulled the blocks

The surface type

Manipulated variables are measured by

Surface type

Weight

Surface area I learned that different surface types make more/less friction, they don't all have the same friction measurement.

I learned that the more weight on a surface type will make more friction because it is heavier.

I learned that if you put more surface area on a surface type the friction stays almost same!

When you pull a block across why does it measure friction?

It measures friction because when you pull a block across a surface area the friction goes the opposite way!

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 08:07 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 75

learned that friction is the force that happens when 2 surfaces rub togetherwe measured friction by pulling it with a little scale thing, and it measured the force it takes to pull it with newtons. 

without friction we would not stop something untile it crashes into something else. without friction the earth will be a gaint ball of ice. without friction ... well I`m pretty sure you get the point friction is pretty importrtant. friction is a force like gravity we lerned how friction works by slideing a wooden block across the surface of waxpaper, tabletop, papertowle, fine sandpaper, and corse sandpaper. thats in 6.1 in 6.2 we mesured friction on one surface and in 6.3 we made more friction by stacking one block on top another.

I learned that without friction when we tried to stop after walking, running, driving, etc. you would just keep sliding until you hit something.

I learned that friction is very helpful with everyday tasks. There would be lots of car crashes and people getting hurt without friction.

1. We measured friction with a 2.5 Spring Scale and a 10.0 spring scale. We pulled wooden blocks across different surfaces types to see how friction would change on each surface type.

2. Then we pulled more then one block across different surface types to see if the friction would change.

3. Last, When changed what side we would pull the block across the surface types to see if the friction would go up or go down.

The spring scale was measuring friction force because the force is pulling the opposite way that you're pulling.

We measued the force of friction with a 10 newton scale and a 2.5 newton scale. We pulled wooden blocks across different surface to determine the amount of friction of each surface.

Controlled variables are very important they can affect the results of a test very greatly. For example if we were doing our test then we changed the slope it would add or lessen the friction the varibles always have to be the same.

What i learned in 6.1 is that different surface types make different Forces of friction.

What i learned about 6.2 is that the more weight the more friction.

What i learned 6.3 is that more surface area the more friction.

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 08:22 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 52

1. i learned that friction is the force that happens when 2 surfaces rub together, like a block and sandpaper.you can measure friction in many ways, including newtons and LBS.

on narrower sides, theres more weight since its a smaller side, so its harder to pull, which means there's more friction.

2.we measured friction by pulling the block with a little scale thing, and it measured the force it takes to pull it with newtons by feeling the drag the block creates.

3. controlled variables are the thing that when you do several experiments, it stays the same. we controlled: pulling speed,pulling length, and block type.

I learned that friction is were if you rub two things together then that's friction.we measure force on scales with newtons side.the variables are a big part in the experiment,you can change the variables surface area,weight,and surface type......Friction is awesome if we didn't have friction then you wouldn't be able to stop when your walking,running

1. I learned that when you pull one surface on or through another surface you cause friction to pull the opposite way so it slows down and will eventually stop.

6.1 I also learned that if the weight is greater it increases the friction

6.2 If the surface is smaller it also increases the friction

6.3 some objects or surfaces increse or decrease the frictions pull.

2. We measured sliding friction by pulling a block along by a spring scale which measures friction because friction pulls backwards and so, if the block is harder to pull, that much friction that is making it harder, so that is how we measured it.

3. we controlled variables by changing one thing, such as the weight, and then kept all the other things the same, slope, times, length of pull, surface area, surface type, etc.

1. I learned that when you pull one thing on or thought another It causes friction to act on the objects to make it harder to push or pull. When the weight is greater it increases friction and if the surface is smaller whith the same weight it increases it too, and if you change the surface that it is on then it changes how much friction affects it.

2. We measured sliding friction by using a spring scales in class. Friction can be measured when it is pulled back on the object. So when you pull,you can measure the resistance with a spring scale.That is how we measured sliding friction.

3.I learned that the variables that were the same in one experiment were weight,length,time,slope,surface, the variable that were not the same was surface area.

THERE ARE ALL KIND OF FORCES LIKE GRAVITY,ELASTIC,

SPRINGY, AND FORCES WE MAKE BY LEANING ON SOMETHING

ONE ELASTIC FORCE I KNOW IS THE RUBBER BAND IT HAS FORCE IN IT IF YOU STRETCH THE RUBBER BAND.GRAVITY FORCE IS WHEN YOU JUMP YOU ALWAYS COME BACK DOWN BUT IF THERE WAS NO GRAVITY EVERYTHING WILL BE FLOATING AROUND US ,HECK WE WILL FLOAT AROUND WITH EVERYTHING.SPRINGY FORCE IS KIND OF LIKE GRAVITY IF YOU BEND IT IT WILL COME BACK OR FLAP AROUND FOR A WHILE LIKE A POOL DIVING BOARD OR A FLY SWATTER.

FRICTION FORCE CAN SLOW YOU DOWN OR SPEEDS THINGS ALONG OR TELLS YOU THE WEIGHT OF THE OBJECT LIKE THE POUNDS OR NEWTONS OF THE OBJECT LIKE A BLOCK. IF THERE WAS NO FRICTION FORCE THINGS WOULD BE MOVING AT RANDOM SPEEDS LIKE THE TURTLE WOULD BE FASTER THEN THE CHEETAH. A lot of things have friction in,on,or around them

what I learned in 6.1 is that friction is when two things rub together. And different amounts of friction depens on the surface types.

what I learned in 6.2 is that the more bumps there is the more friction there is. I also learned about weight.

what I learned in 6.3 is that the different sides bearly effect the data. also it's because there is equal weight on the sides.

We measured sliding friction by measuring in newtons.

The variables were Surface types, distance, speed, slope and weight. We controlled them by keeping them the same.

Article posted May 15, 2012 at 08:52 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 75

what i learned 6.3 was about surface areas. and in 6.2 i learned if a spring scale has a tighter spring it can hold more weight. 6.1 i learned that it takes more force to pull the block across the corse sand paper on the short side then i thoght we measured our data with the 2.5 newton scale and we pulled the block for 27 cemeteries

Article posted May 15, 2012 at 09:16 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 82

I have learned a lot about friction. I mainly learned that friction is what happens when two objects rub up against each other. We used blocks along with scales to primarily measure the force. The reason we had scales was to measure how much friction was slowing down, or speeding up the weight of the object.

I learned that friction is when you rub two things together such as wood and rock. You can measure friction in newtons or pounds or any other type of measurement of weight. If your rub your hands together and its hard to move them its friction happening. It you control certain variables it will turn to different measurements. Like if you kept the same object the same but different surfaces (we did this)the measurements will be different each time.

6.3It is a good thing that we have friction because everything would just slide every were if we did not have friction every thing would away everywhere. Most of the time when the surface area is bigger there is more friction.

2How we measured the sliding force is by the scale spring.

3surface types and slope and distance and speed weight pulling the spring scale

in 6.2we learn adding blocks and yea

in 6.1 we learned the basics of friction

I have now learned that if you rub your hands together then your hands shall create friction to be sure that you are making friction make sure that your hands grow warmer.by ryann thanks MrGonzalez for teaching me about friction.

how we did our measuring is we used a ruler till we got to 27cm we also used a scale to measure.what I learned is that when you rub 2 things together your making friction when you feel heat.

In 6.1 we measured how many surface types we could pull blocks across and get data to pare up with what other groups got.

In 6.2 we measured if a bigger load would change the data we got from 1 block.

In 6.3 we measured the other sides of the blocks (the sides) and see what data we got.

what I learned about controlled variables is they are surface types and distance and speed and slope and weight.we controlled them by carefully using them like the surface types we kept them still and all the rest we kept the same but weight we changed that by putting more blocks on.

6.1 I learned friction on different serfaces

6.2 I learned the more blokes the more friction

6.3 I learned all the sides have the same friction force

The varyubls are serface tipe,serface arya, scale, dictence, speed and slope

friction is made when objects rub together and create heat And can where away and make the things smaller

we measuerd sliding friction witg draging the block with the spring scale across are selected surface

Types of friction

Weight

Speed

Slope

Surface area

Distance

well we are supposed to say what we learned about friction.

lesson 1: i learned that different surfaces have different amounts of friction. the fine sandpaper has the most friction.

lesson 2: i learned that with more weight comes more friction. like if you pull 2 blocks, it has more friction than with just 1.

lesson 3: i learned that different sides of the block have different amounts of friction, but its not much of a difference.

we measured sliding friction by using spring scales in class. friction can be measured when it pulls back on the object you are pulling. so when you pull it, you can measure the resistance with a spring scale, and that is

friction and that is how you can measure friction with a spring scale.

we learned that controlled variables are important. plus also here are some examples.

1:distance pulled

2:slope

3:surface type

4:speed

5:block type

those are things that are controlled variables, which means they stay the same.

well, yep! thats it! bye!

I have learned that friction can affect how a object moves. It can ether make it go faster or slower. Although the weight never changes friction gives the elution that an object is heavier or lighter.

We measured sliding friction by useing the spring scale to measure the friction force in newtons. You hook the scale to the hook on the block and then pull across surface.

Ummmm...well I didn't really learn any thing about controlled variables for I already know what you speak of was. I learned of such things in 5th grade.a controlled variable is a variable that chould be changed but is kept consistent through all triales and experiments .

Friction is a force used in almost everything. Friction can create heat. Friction can create energy. For example friction can be like two pieces of sandpaper rubbing together. Friction can change things, like if you rub to coarse things together its going to be harder to move. But on the other hand if you move to slippery things together it will be easier to move and create less friction. In 6.1 we tested pulling blocks across differnt surfaces to see how much friction needed to pull the blocks. In 6.2 I learned that if you change the weight of the thing your pulling the more friction will be used to pull it. In 6.3 we changed the surface area. We flipped the blocks on to their differnt lenghts and on the short side of the block the sand paper wont create any friction so it just fell over.

Article posted May 15, 2012 at 03:30 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 91

1. 6.1 I learned that theres more friction if you pull the block across fine sandpaper rather than coarse sandpaper. 6.2 I learned that coarse sandpaper does go up steady with 2 or 3 blocks. 6.3 I learned that there is more friction when theres more wieght in one spot.

2. We measured by taking a spring scale hooking it up to the block and pulling it 27 cent.Then we measure what the spring scale reads and we do three trials and then get the average.This is measuring friction force.

3. We kept the surface Type the same because if we changed two variables we would have innacurate data.

I learned in 6.1 that how when you change the surface the scale will change when you pull it at a steady pace I learned in 6.2 that how we change the friction force. I learned in 6.3 I show when we measure different surface area on the block and it can change of friction of force

How you measure friction is how when you pull it friction will pull against you and the number on the spring scale the never will get bigger untill it moved.

We all pull it 27cm and we don't change the surface so it won't mess up are stuff.

1.in 6.1 i learned that different surface types can have friction.i learned that the more mass something has,the more friction.in 6.3 i learned that different surface types have different friction

2.i used a spring scale that weighed the weight of the block

3.i learned that you should only change one varibale so you know what changed

Q1-I learned that different surface types have different frictions. Coarse(sp?) sandpaper could have more friction than the table top and waxpaper could have more friction than the table top.(See how it works? Other surfaces have different frictions than eachother-but it all depends on the wieght of what you're dragging across the surface!) Surface Area is also a factor in different frictions. Sometimes we pulled 2 blocks across a surface type and other times we pulled just 1 across the surface. Adding more mass contributes to adding weight and it's also a factor in friction force.

Q2-Becuase the spring scale is pulling the mass across the surface(My team used coarse(sp?) sandpaper), the friction force pulls it in the opposite direction, and the spring scale measures the friction that is happening.

Q3-there could be less friction than the table top becuase ice is pretty smooth. Try this-rub your hand against your dining room table or kitchen counter, then rub your hand across and ice cube. Big difference huh?

Toaster

When you pull the block across the course it has more friction.When you set the spring scale you have to put the scale onto zero. My prediction was that the more mass the blocks have the more force it will take to pull it.

Friction is a force you experience every day.

Q1: We pulled a block at a constant speed across a surface.I learned in 6.1 how to set a spring scale. You have to put the scale on zero.In 6.2 I learned that it depends on how much effort you put in pulling the block to get different results.In 6.3 I learned that you can put the block on all different sides to get more results.

Q2: I just turned the block on all different sides.

Q3:I learned that controlled variables are very hard to understand.

What I learned in 6.1 is that when you pull the block across the table top it will in my studies it will go from. 6. To .7 to. 6 to. 5.

I learned that the fiction force throught the 5 services the friction force will range from .5 to 1.6. Before this studies I didn't know anything about friction force now I know a ton about it. I also learned in 6.2 I learned that when you put motl more weight on. The block suzchs as add 1 block u get 2 blocks. Well I learned that. When u add more force the friction force. increases. How we measured sliding friction is we hooked the block up 2 a scale and pulled it 27 cm and we put down what forced it used to pull it along that surface. I didn't really learn Anything about controlled variables. But how I. I controllled the variables is I made sure that the. Speed was the same and the distance pulled.

Article posted May 17, 2012 at 03:26 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 80

I learned that theres more friction if you pull the block across fine sandpaper rather than coarse sandpaper. I learned that coarse sandpaper does go up steady with 2 blocks. I learned that there is more friction when theres more wieght in one spot.

We measured by taking a spring scale hooking it up to the block and pulling it 20 cent.Then we measure what the spring scale reads and we do three times and then get the average.This is measuring friction force.

3. We kept the surface Type the same because if we changed two variables we would have not good data.

What I learned in inquiry 6 is that Friction pushes things back when it goes forward, more mass equals more weight, and that surface area also is a variable of how much friction their is

The way we measured sliding friction is we used a spring- scale to measure the push that friction causes on the block. The push friction causes can be measured 'cause it's trying to stop the block, which causes force which can be measured.

I learned that control variables are variables that you don't change, some examples are: Pull Distance, Pull Speed, and some others you should be able to think of. (But there are MANY more!)

I got higher numbers frome bigger sides of the block. The shorter side and thiner side has less force it has to pull and then If you put more mass and waght on the blocks of wood there is more force going on in that cical. So it's pretty simples more waght the more force and the litist waght the less force"........

A. I thought that the wide side on a block fo wood would be the side that would reaquier ( i know i spelled that wrong) the most force to pull because it has the most surface area but I found out that the side with the least surface ( the narrow side) took the most force to pull. What I learned about surface area, and weight of blocks I shall type in the next letters starting now. I learned that that if you have more weight on a smaller surface it will take more force to pull the block then if the block has the weight spread out and if you add more blocks the weight will add and it will be even more force needed to pull the block.

B.the scale measures the fricton force witch ( yes I spelled that wrong to ( I think)) is caused by pulling on the scale with gravity pulling the block down.

C.we would use almost no force to pull a block of wood across ice because it is very smooth so the force needed to pull the block will be about .1 newtons per block on the wide side of the block.

1.In 6.1 I learned that different surface types can have friction force. in 6.2 i learned thatthe more mass something has, the more friction force it will have. in 6.3 i learned that different surface types have different amount of friction force.

2.You use a "spring scale" and pull it across a surface.

3.I learned that you should only change 1 variable at a time. there are many variables you could change when you are testing something but if you want accurate data, you only change 1 variable at a time. a variable is something that can be changed.

friction makes electricity and electricity makes stuff like battery work. And if a battery works you can make stuff like a tv remote work.

What I know about Friction & Force ; When we were using the block and the Spring scale the Wide side had the most Friction , So I believe that wide sides have most Friction, The Shortest side was after the Wide side and then the the Long side.

6.1 - I learned Different Surface types have different amounts of Friction . And I learned more mass something has the more Friction it has.

2- We used Spring scales to weigh a Wood block .

3- I learned there are 3 different Variables and I learned to make sure you know which one is which , Because they get confusing.

Friction is a forces thing that is a sping scale that's pulled by force and the scale measures how much force is

We had a spring scale to measured the distance of the block on the surface

I controlled the surface type I controlled the block and the speed of how fast I pulled the scale with the block on.

If there was no friction and you were running you would never stop until you run into something.If there wasn't any friction a lot of people would get hurt and there would be a lot of accidents.

I learned in 6.1 6.2 6.3 was how fricton works and what it does for the earth.Fricton is measured by the power to move something across a surface.I learned that controlled varible is the varible that stays the same and there can be more than one controlled varible.

In inquiry 6.1 I learned that different surface types require different forces of friction. For example it takes less friction force to pull a block on waxpaper than on sandpaper.

In inquiry 6.2 I learned that the more weight an object has the more friction force it takes to pull it. For example 1 block of wood will be easier to pull than 2 blocks of wood,

In inquiry 6.3 I learned that different surface areas will take different force of friction. For example a short narrow side is harder to pull than a wide long side.

We measured sliding friction by pulling a block with a spring scale. We used the spring scale to calculate how much friction force it took.

I learned that when constructing an experiment you must only have one manipulated variable and one measured variable. All the other variables are controlled. Otherwise the results of your experiment may vary. For example in our experiment of different surface areas the conrolled variables were the pull distance, the speed, slope, and suface type.

In 6.1 I learned that different surface types can effect frictional force. I also learned that some surface types can have a bigger affect on frictional force. In 6.2 I learned that more weight can cause more frictional force. In 6.3 i learned friction is what happens when you pull on something and frictional force pulls against you. I also learned that different surface area can change frictional force.

Friction force is measured by how much force the friction pulls against you when u are pulling something. Because we measured on a flat surface there was no other force but friction force. The force was measured by a spring scale pulling on a block and friction pulling against you in the opposite direction.