Image Hosted At MyspaceGens

Image Hosted At MyspaceGens

Paralle Lines

Jadi Davila & Salamata Jalloh

3-23-12/ 318

The Temple of Delphi

http://proteus.brown.edu/greekpast/admin/image.html?imageid=3111463Archeologists think that the Temple of Delphi located in central Greece seemed to have been a sacred shrine even before Greeks arrived in Greece around 2100 B.C. Greek myth says the Temple of Delphi was originally the home of a snake, a python. The python was the serpent son of mother earth and the Greek god Poseidon. When the god Apollo arrived he killed the serpent and took over the shrine. The Temple of Delphi was a shrine to Apollo after he slew the python, a dragon that lived there and protected the navel of the earth.

The Temple of Delphi is famous for being an oracle. An oracle is something or someone who can foretell the future. Scientists believe that the Temple was built over a crack in the earth that gave off methane gas. When a priest or priestess of the Temple went near the crack and breathed in the gas, they started acting weird and talking about mysterious things. Soon people believed that they should consult the oracle before they made decisions about life.

The In the 4th century BC was rebuilt by two legendary architects Trophonions and agamedes.. The Temple of Delphi was a round building. The Temple had 6 columns in the front and 15 in the back (the columns were called Doric columns), it also had 3 to 5 steps. Then the door was behind the columns and it was really long.

If I where principal for a day I would change...

1. I would change all the hard chairs into soft, comfortable sofas.

2. I would have 5 different choises for lunch  for the kids to chose from.

3. I would have all the murphy grades have resess.

4. I would have 2 teachers in one class room.

5. I would have bigger windows to let the light in in the morning so I can save electrity.

6. I would have 10 hours of school and 3 days of school.

7. I would have Justin Bieber come and sing at lunch for the whole scool year every day.

8. I would have flowers,and other plants in the garden, and we will grow lots of trees and fruits to donate.

Jadi Davila& Zeila Vaz

Room 318    

February 9, 2012

The Greek item that we have chosen to learn about is the oil lamp. The oil lamp is one of the oldest inventions of mankind. In ancient Greece they didn’t have electricity. So they burned olive oil in a pottery lamp to make light for their homes, workshops, and temples. At first oil lamps would have been made with just a rock with some moss soaked in animal fat and lit in fire.

The oil lamps being made of pottery began about 600 B.C. Greek oil lamps were made of clay on a pottery wheel. The lamp would have a whole cut through the side and a nozzle stuck on it. A wick burned the oil so they could control the flame. The Greek oil lamp was not just used for lighting your house. It was also used for death ceremonies and other important ceremonies.

The body of the Hellenistic Greek lamp had a lug on the side and elongated spout. A Greco-roman style lamp had a nude Greek woman. A period lamp was a decorated lamp with a Greek key design on the side. Hellenistic lamps can also be made in black. First the oil lamps from ancient Greece were molded and made with a deeply carinated body sort.

In conclusion oil lamps where important to ancient Greece back then so that they could have light for them selves. The oil lamps where also were a decorative idem to there houses, workshops, and temples. The oil lamp was also used for death ceremonies. In my opinion if the oil lamp would have never been invented the Greeks would have never had any type of working good light to light their houses, workshops, or temples.

You can enter the text of your blog here!

Our AAmerican tradition of the new years revolution started about 153 B.C when tradition says Babylonians promised to return anything that they had borrowed throughout the year. resolutions are promises people make to them selves and others.like for example my new years resolution is to be nicer and more helpful to my family and others. I hope i can really accomplish my new years resolution.

my three new yers resolutions are #1 I will clean my own clothes and do my chors and stop with all of  my  bad behevior.#2 is my school partisipation i will participate in class even if it is to hard for me.#3 is my reasolution to be nicer to my family members.

Article posted November 1, 2011 at 06:22 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 34

my top ten list:   

1. I like candy, cookies, and music.   2.I recommend you read the white house boys because its an american tragedy.      3.My favorite ice-cream is chocolate chip and it is because it reminds me of cookies.   4.I think books are awesome because they are like little movies in your head.   5.if i had a million dollers i would by my mom a new house and 20,000 dollers and a car and keep the rest of the money to spend on collage, and my future.   6.The best movie ever made was madia because she is a very crazy old lady.   7. I wish i had a puppy.    8.If I could change something about the world I would make the schools have sports for girls.    9.I hope I can get a puppy for my birthday.   10. I am a good friend because i am fun to be with.