Coltong33-

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 04:49 PM GMT • comment (12) • Reads 472

Sixth graders got to look for benthic macroinvertebrates (underwater bugs) in samples of Chimacum Creek water brought to us by the North Olympic Salmon Coalition. We used a macroinvertebrate water quality scoring system to figure out what the water quality of our creek is like and here's what we got:

Yellow jacket creek at Cispus=25 for aquatic bugs Chimacum creek =21 points for aquatic life and water quality

We got 4 very intolerant bug each bugs worth 4points Stone flies, may flies ,dobsonflies,Caddisflies.We got a scud in the tolerant and those are worth 2 points and In the very tolerate are flat worms and aquatic worms and blood worms and a flat worm are worth1point each bugs worth 1point and if you add that together you get 21 points all together

How we scored our creek is we got what bugs that yellow jacket creek has to find out how tolerate they are and found out our bugs and how tolerate they are and the difference between the creeks is 4 points . Thats only a very tolerate bug.

Article posted November 8, 2011 at 09:10 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 106

thes are a lot of aquatic worms and one scud we found.

Article posted November 2, 2011 at 08:44 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 73

Yellow jacket creek at Cispus=25 points for aquatic bugs and life which means: yellowkacket creek is cleaner,we checked how many points each bug was worth and added them all up. We also checkedmwhich bug is tolerant,very tolerant,intolerant, and very intolerant. We added them all up and got 21 for chimacum and 25 for yellow jacket creek, so yellow jacket creek is cleaner but chimacum has good water quality and yellow jacket creek has very good water quality a long with pollution. The bugs are tolerant,very tolerant ,intolerant,and ver intolerant to the water quality and water pollution.

Chimacum creek=21 points for aquatic life and water quality

How we scored our creek is: we compared yellow jacket creek with Chimacum creek by what kind of bugs and how tolerant they are in both creeks. We got a lot of scuds,maybe like 4-5 in each jar. We got 6-7 cadissflys in each jar. One way we scored our creek VS yelowjacket creek is we added up all the bugs we got and then did some math with it and got 3 different kinds of very tolerant bugs and 2 different kinds of bugs in tolerant and 16 in very intolerant. That is a way we scored our creek and 0 in intolerant. The bugs are tolerant,very tolerant,intolerant,and very intolerant to the water quality and the water pollution in the creek. That is what I have about how we scored our creek!!!

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 09:11 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 83

This is a cadissfly we found:

how gross is that!I'm pretty sure this is from a stonefly nymph because right in between the legs is a tail with two little attenae things sticking out.The picture on the bottom is of the bug that the legs came from.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 09:23 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 83

Here it goes.The last hit of the night.Who will win,Yellow jackets or Chimacum.Here's the wind up,and the pitch... Smack! It's going far! It could make it over! Can it, will it... Yes!! Yellow jackets win!

Yeah,sadly,Yellow jacket creek is cleaner than Chimacum creek.We compared the two creeks and Yellow jacket creek had a score of 25 and Chimacum had a score of 21.It was close, but in the end, yellow jacket creek is cleaner.

The scoring criteria is pretty simple.First, each team got a microscope, plugged it in the computer,and pulled up a tab called "miXscope".Then we took samples of water from the creek, put them under the microscope,and took some snapshots of the bugs in the water.Next,we identified the bugs using a macroinvertibrates identification sheet.After that, we added up the total score by using a scoring criteria sheet that lists the sensitive, very sensitive, tolerant, and very tolerant bugs. The very sensitive bugs are worth 4 points,sensitives are worth 3, tolerants are worth 2,and very tolerants are worth 1.We added them up and got a score of 21.

this picture is a scud having a baby. this is from Chimacum creek. Chimucum creek has a score of 21, yellow jacket has a score of 25.

This is the mesure of chimicum creek. That scored 21 points

Article posted November 2, 2011 at 09:08 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 121

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 08:55 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 97

This is a stone fly larva this bug is very intollerent bug of water pollution and not to mention it came from our creek. 

We scored our creek bye comparing it with YELLOW JACKET CREEK

Our score was 21 Chimacum creek and 25 Yellow jacket creek

that means that our creek is a little worse than Yellow jacket. Only bye 4 so not that bad

Chimacum creek verses yellow jacket creek....YEllow is a little bit more healthy.We got those numbers from measuring how bad are creek was on a data sheet of the bugs we found starting from the Middle tollerent, Intollerent bugs and the Tollerent bugs.

Basically all we did was looked at some bugs from our creek and figured out if how many bugs were were high tolerant to pollution and how many were low tolerant to pollution. So by doing that we figured out that our score was 21. that means potentially good water quality. Yellow jacket creek got 25. that means potentially excellent water quality. that means that over all yellow jacket creek got a better water quality than our creek. that also means that yellow jacket creek is more excellent then our creek! that is terrible so I believe that we should work really hard to help pick up our creek and help raise our score!

These are scuds that we found in chimacum creek,it is tolerant of water polution.The one at the side was very squirmy so it was hard to get a picture of it.

When we scored our creek we got a score of 21.In the ppicture below you will see how we scored it ,how much points each bug was worth,and how good the water quality is.We scored our creek by  looking at the bugs and checking if they're tolerant or intolerant.Thats how we scored plus we added the points each bugs were worth.

If we compare yellow jackets score to chimacum creeks score you willsee that yellow jaackets water quality is better.Yellow jacket got a score of 25.Thats four more than our score.So I think that chimacum creek compared really well with yellow jacket creek.Even though there not the same the have the same potentionally good water quality,if not better.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 08:53 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 73

This is a stonefly this bug is very good to have because it cant stand pollution as good as other bugs

We scored our creek a 21. The score is of how much pollution is in the creek. Yellow jacket creek has a score of 25. We got this score because we had bugs from the Chimicum creek and each one was an amount of points. The more points the better. then we added all the points and got 21.

This is a pregnant Scud. This is a medium quality pollution tolerant benthic macro.

This is at scud. It is a medium pollution tolerant bug.

Chimacum creek scored 21 and Yellow jacket creek scored 25 in pollution that is only a 4 point diffrence!!! This means they are both not polluted too badly. We had to see which macros were in what creek and both of the creeks had good bugs to boost up there scores!!!

Water quality test results:

Yellowjacket creek,mount ST rainier-cispus= 25 points for aquatic bugs and life.

Chimacum Creek-Chimacum WA=21 points for aquatic life and water quality

Please comment with any arguments,disagreements,or agreements! :D

The Chimacum creek got a score of 21, and you probably dont know what that means so I will tell you. We get 4 points from every very intolerant to water pollution bug we get. Their is Stoneflies, Caddisfles, Mayflies and Dobsonflies and we found every single one of those bugs so we got 16 points from that. Then there is also intolerant bugs but we didnt find any bugs from that catagory. But then we found a tolerant scud so we got 2 points from that. In our last catagory, very tolerant, we got 3 points because we found a Flat worm, Aquatic worm and a Tubifex worm. In all we got 21 out of 25 points. But when our 6th grade went to our outdoor education camp (CISPUS) the creek there got a score of 25 and that is the best score. Now I'm jealous that our creek got a lower score.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 08:54 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 77

Look at the caddisfly!

this is a stonefly larvae! My team and I found it

We are not sure if this is a mayfly or a stonefly because its legs are cut off!

We got a score of 21. We got that score from finding bugs from a jar, which came from Chimacum Creek. Then we found 4 different bugs in the very tolerant then we multiplyed that by 4 and we got  16. Then we got 1 in tolerant and multiplyed that by 2 then we got 18. Then we got 3 in very tolerent and multiplyed that by 1. Then we got a total of 21. The score means we got potentially good water quality.  Yellow jacket creek got 25 points so it got potentially excellent water quality so its healthier then Chimacum creek.

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 09:15 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 68

Yellow Jacket Ceek scored 25 and Chimacum Creek scored 21=http://!!! Thats only a 4 point difference! How we got the scores is we looked at the Benthic Macroinvertebrate Key and we would look and see if we coud find the bug on it and see what the bug is called then we would go and check off the bug on our paper. Other bugs are worth more then others like Stoneflys, Mayflies, Caddisflys, Dotsonflys are worth 4 points. Dragonflies, Cray Fishes, Riffle Beattles, Craneflies, and the Broadwing Damsel Fly are worth 3 points. Midges Sow Bugs Scuds and Black Flies are worth 2, and Flatworms, Pouch Snails, Tubifex Worms, Aquatic Worms, Blood Worms, and Leeches are worth 1 point.Chimacum Creek scores 21 for water pollution. That means that Chimacum Creek has potentially good water quallity! That is pretty good!

One day we got samples of creek water at Chimacum creek and we found lots of little macros (bugs) in them. And each kinds of bug is diffrent to the water and compared from yellow jacket creek at Cispus it`s score is 21 compared to 25 wich isn`t that bad because our creek is not that polluted. :)

Check out this bug! Its a scud. We took this photo November 1,2011. This is how we scored our bugs: Very intolerant (uncommon)= 4 points These are not uncommon in clean waters though, intolerant (kinda common)= 3points, Tolerant (common)= 2 points, Very tolerant (very common)= 1 point(s).

Article posted November 7, 2011 at 02:13 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 62

Okay, Yellow Jacket creeks Score on how clean it is.It got 25 points. Our score (Chimacum creek) Got 21 points, I know bummer right? But don't worry how clean our creek is going up all the time. Both of the creeks put up quite a fight the scores were very close as you can see.

The scoring criteria is easy to understand. First,each group got together and started to plug in microscopes to the computers,We used a program called "Mixscope" so we could see all of the tiniest parts on the computer screen.We took twissors and tried to find bugs in the little samples Mr.G provided for us.Then,we took snapshots of the bugs in the water.Everyone tried to identifie each bug.Also we added up the total score of our bugs. If you red my last blog you will understand how we scored them thanks for reading my blog.

Article posted November 1, 2011 at 09:14 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 71

.

The first picture is a stonefly. The second picture is a mayfly larva. The third picture is another stonefly. Our score for our creek was 21 for the whole class.The way we score our creek is we take a sample of the stuff from the creek and find all the bugs inside.There are four different types of categories the bugs are in. There are very tolerant bugs, tolerant bugs, intolerant bugs and very intolerant bugs. The first bug type that I mentioned is worth 1 point, the second is worth 2 points and so on to 4 points.The more the points the better.Here is our score sheet. The creek we went to at Cispus (yellow jacket)got a score of 25 compared our score of 21. The reason they got a better score is because it doesn't get polluted as much.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 09:05 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 79

this is a mayfly larva. its intolerant to pollution, which means it will die to the slightest raise of temperture or pollution levels. its on a water droplet!

The next two pictures are stonefly larva!

this is a picture of a horsefly larva. it is tolerant to pollution. it is hard to see, but if you look closely you can see a worm.

this is a cadisfly. it is VERY intolerant to pollution.

this is are our  scoring sheet for testing chimucum creeks water quality. for every bug we found in the highly intolerant cattegory,we scored four points. for every intolerant bug, 3 points. for tolerant bugs, 2 points. for every highly tolerant, 1 point.alltogether, we got 21.but, when we went to a camp with all the other six graders, there was a creek called Yellowjacket creek. but, it was a lot more clear, and it got a score of 25. How can it be in the same range? it is because dark does NOT always mean dirty.chimucum creek is just as healthy.even though yellow jaket creek had a score of 25, thats only one more highly intolerant bug.

What is biological integrity?

supporting and maintaining a balanced community of organisms

What are indacator species?

groups of biological resources that can be used to tell if water is being polluted

how are macro invertabrets good indicator species?

because most of the bugs are VERY sensetive to pollution and tempurture changes, which make them ideal for pollution testing.

why are salmon and trout bad indacator species?

because they are tolerant to pollution.

Question 2:

How we scored our creek is we times the Tolerant by 2, the very Tolerant by 1, the intolerant by 3, the very intolerant by 4.we got lots of the very intolerant

Question 3:

Our creek got the score of 21 points. So that means our creek is clean for the salmon=http://!

Question 4:

Chimacum creek compared to yellow jacket creek was 4points different . Chimacum creek was 21, and yellow jacket creek was 25.

Article posted November 1, 2011 at 09:06 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 98

too.The pictures of the macroinverebrates (bugs) that we found in our creek (chimicum creek).

The first-

This is a stonefly. It is very sensitive to water pollution. It is dead because of a change of temperature or pollution.

Our second-

This a stonefly but it is a LOT smaller. It is very sensitive to pollution. It is also dead because of temperature or pollution.

Our third-

This is another stonefly, but it is alive! I do not know why.

Our fourth-

This is a scud. It is fairly tolerent to pollution. It is alive because it is not really affected by change of temerature. So these are the ones we found. We are doing this to determine how healthy our creek is. To score we gave 4 for very sensitive to pollution, 3 for sensitive to pollution, 2 for fairly tolerant to pollution, and 1 point for very tolerant to pollution. So ours would just be 10 but the class's is 21! Which is very healthy I believe. And now we are comparing it to a different creek, Yellow Jacket creek. Yellow Jacket creek got 25 but even though we close, Yellow Jacket looks like it is a lot cleaner and clearer than ours. Oh I forgot to tell you about biological integrity. biological integrity is "the capability of supporting and maintaining a balanced, integrated, adaptive community of organisms having a composition and diversity comparable to that of the natural habitats of the region". says http://www.epa.gov/bioiweb1/html/biointeg.html. An indicator species is a species that can be tested to well, test an envirorment. Benthic Macro's are a good indicator species because if the very sensitive ones that cannot stand pollution ,they die in it, are alive then it is not polluted and so is healthy. Salmon and trout are not good indicator species because some of them may have just come from salt water or a different stream/lake or other water source and that water source may not be polluted. Macros are good for determining biological integrity of streams and creeks because "they are suspectible to degradation of water sediment and habitat" says http://www.epa.gov/owow/watershed/wacademy/acad2000/rbp/6benthic.html, which makes them good indictators of their enviorment healthyness which, happens to be the stream or creek in question.

this is a mayfly larva.

This is what we found from chimacomcreek.

This is the score that yellow jacket it's 25 and are chimacum creek got 21 how we got these scores is by checking of the ones we had in this little cup that we used a microscope to see what they were.

How we scored our creek is we checked how much points each bug was worth. We also checked what category each bug was in. The category were tolerant,very tolerate,intolerant, very intolerant.We scored for Chimacum creek: 16 in very intolerant, 0 in intolerant, 2 in tolerant, 3 in very tolerant. But yellow jacket creek scored 25 but we don't know what numbers they got in each category.

we found macros such as stoneflys,larve,bloodworm,worm,a fish of some sort?,water might,a scud or a white shrimp,

Stoneflies,mayflies,dobsonflies are not very tolerent so they die the quickest while others like worms and leeches die the slowest.

Leeches,worms=1points

Scuds=2points

Dragonflies,riffle beetle, water mights, and caddisflies=3points

mayflies, stoneflys, dobsinflies=4points

leeches are like sucking pads for human blood

alot of macros are dieing because of pollution

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 10:18 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 77

This is a scud it is worth 2 points it's tolerant to pollution.We scored our creek after everybody got a microscope and a sample of water then the whole class put in what they found and as a total of the bugs that we found and got 21 points. 21 points is a potentially good water quality but on BIBI we were very low integrity but we have a good creek.When we went to Cispus we went to a creek called Yellow Jacket creek after we came back we saw that the creek that we saw was clearer and it was mostly the same just a litle bit higher so it is a lot different but it's still cool to see bugs AWSEMOME!!!!!!!!!!!

The scud is worth 2 points.the scud is talorent. How we scored the chimacum creek by looking at bugs in a microscopes. The score of chimacum creek that we got is 21. chimacum creek compared to yellowjacket creek is prity good.

This is a stone fly,This is worth 4 points

This is a scud,The scud worth 2 points,This is a blood worm,this worth 1 point,This is anormal worm,this worth 1point.

Here is a pic of a cadisfly it is dead and cadisflies are very intolerent. and that means if there is just a little pollution it will die. I fond this bug with a micro scope.

we scored our creek by finding bugs from our creek and we had a data sheet that had the bugs names on it we fond the bugs with a micro scope.and our creek scored 21.I found a cadisfly an a cadisfly is 4 points.

We are doing a water quality project that is about our creek. We are trying to figure out if our creek is good, bad or ugly. The way we are pretty much figuring this out is if the bugs are very intolerant to water; intolerant; tolerant and very tolerant. Intolerant being insects and fish that have trouble surviving in polluted water, and ones that are just fine with it.

Are creek got a potentially good water quality score. In other words; we got tolerant. But thats a good score, so....yay!!!

Article posted November 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 80

just a another dead stone file

We scored out creek through if our bugs are very intolerant, intolerant, tolerant, and very tolerant. Say if we had caddisfly 3 times and it

would be worth 4 points per bug in this catagory, if we had a dragonfly 3 times and it would be 3 points per bug in this catagory, i we had a scud 10 times it would be worth 2 points per bug in this catagory, if we had a leeche 3 times it would be worth 1 point per bug in this catgory. For Chimacum Creek our score was 21 points. We had Stoneflies, Caddisflies, Mayflies, and Dobbsonflies in the first catagory. So we got 16 points in the first catagory. We got none in the second catagory, so we got 0 points in this catagory. In the third catagory we got scuds, we got 2 points in this catagory. In the fourth catagory we got flatworms, tubifex worms, and aquatic worms, we got three points in this catagory.

We got 21 points in all. So that means our creek has potentially good water quality. That means it has a tiny bit of pollution. This is a good score for a creek surrounded by a small community.

Chimacum creek has a good score compared to Yellowjacket Creek, Yellowjacket has 25 points! Compared to Yellowjacket creek we have a good water quality (water quality is how good the water is).

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 09:58 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 101

This is a Stonefly head we inlarger it and Echane it to make it redd

we score our   chimacum creek from bug  if they are  very intolerant ,intolerant,and very tolerant,tolerant. like you see on the top is per 5 so thank you per 5 and if its very intolerant =4 ponits like mayfiles and stonefiles.  intolerant=3 ponits riffle bettles . Very tolerant=2.ponits are like  scuds,sow bugs , black files. Tolerant= 1 ponits blood worms ,flat worms,leeches .So per 5 got 21 ponits all .And period 6 only Got 11 ponits .Chimacum Creek Got 21 Ponits And Yellowjacket Creek got 25 Ponits i bet you are asking  how  do you score i dont understand ?well i wiilll tell you  ummm...............  oh yeah   if bugs are very intolerant or intolerant or very tolerant or tolerant.So You can tell that yellowjacket creek is cleaner then chimacum creek is dirrty

this is a stonefly i found it was worth 4 points because it is very intolernt and i will tell you more in my next blog.

Befor i explain here some info that might help you understand:

Very intolorent (very uncommon) = 4 points

Intoloront (kinda common) = 3points

Toloront (common) = 2 points

Very toloront (very common) = 1point

As you read we scored the chart above what bugs got put in which catagory they are in. In the creek close to us we got 21 points which mean potentially good water quality were as Yellow Jacket creek got 25 points. But tell me this how can our creek be mukky and smell bad were as Yellow Jacket creek was so clear and fresh? I think its because since Yellow Jacket creek is right by alot of mountins it gets fresh clean water. But still how can we so close in points.

Leave commons below to try to awnser my questions because honestly i dont have a clue or just give me feedback.

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 10:17 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 135

these are worm,scud, and blood worm. Worms are worth 1 point,scuds are worth 2 points,blood worms are worth 1 point.

This is a stone fly.Stone flys are worth 4 points,

Our creek is 21 points because of the bugs in it and the pople around it.yellow jacket creek is 25 points because of the different bugs and not many people.

21 means potenchly good woter quoity and we got 21 by adding all the bug quolity up and got 21. bugs shuch as stone flys and may flys are worth 4 points becuase they are  vary intolerint to woter polushin. bugs that are woth 3 points are woter miets and a whight shrimp becuse tha intolorint to woter polushin. and a 2 pointer is a scud are tolorent to woter polushin .1 poiters are eny kind of worm are vary tolorent.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 66

How we scored our creek is we were looking for types of bugs,once we found the types of bugs checked them off of our list.After we were done the class counted them up and got our score of 21 points.we scored them on how tolerent they were.the bugs that got 4 points were,stoneflies,mayflies,caddisflies,dobsonflies. there was no 3 pointers that we foud.

but there is one that is a scud thats worth 2 points.the bugs that are worth i point are,flat worms,tubifex worms and leeches.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 108

http://educatoral.com/img/chimcreekscore.jpg

We scored our creek by finding bugs in our water. Then we scored them by how tolerant the bugs are very intolerant bugs are worth 4 points intolerant bugs are worth 3 points. 2 points for Tolerant bugs very tolerant bugs are worth 1 point.

21 was our score 25 is the best score so chimacum creek is good. yellow jacket creek got 25 the best score and chimacum creek got 21 it is a good score.

http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per6/g4/serenity.png

This is a stonefly.

http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per6/g4/serenity1.png

This is a caddisfly.

http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per6/g4/serenity11.png

This might be a caddisfly.

http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per6/g4/serenity13.png

This is a scud.

http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per6/g4/serenity3.png

This might be a scud.

The score for Yellowjacket Creek is 25.

The score for Chimacum Creek is 21 (according to period 5 and Mr. G.) this is a awesome score. This means that our creek is pretty healthy. We found quite a few intolerant and very intolerant macro invertibrates.

The creeks are scored like this:

Very intolerant-4 points

Intolerant-3 points

Tolerant-2 points

Very tolerant-1point

before i start talking about benthic stuff, you should know i have no idea what benthic means!anyways my partner and i only took 2 pictures because someone deleted the other pictures so we only took a picture of a scud and a stone-fly. on are other pictures we had a leach, a aquatic worm, those little squirmy things,and a bloodworm.our class score was 21, and chimacum creek vs. yellow jacket creek I'm pretty sure yellow jacket creek won!

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 04:34 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 81

This is how we scored the creek by looking at bugs. MAGIC=http://!! not really. There is a sheet that tells you which bugs are which, and how sensitive (tolerant) they are. The sensitivest ones like (grrr) mayflies score the highest, 4 points. the score goes down for the more tolerant bugs. the most tolerant ones are like leeches and  worms and stuff. ew.  ew.ew.ew.

anyway, then you check off what kinds of bugs you found. on the sheet where you check them off, the bugs are divided up into the intolerant and toleranter groups that i explained. then, you add up all the scores for all the different types of bugs. you dont say, like, "well i found 6 mayflies, so the score for mayflies is times 6!"

you dont really care how many of a type of bug you found, just that you found it.so,then you add up the score and you get the number! the end.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 04:34 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 79

[LINK]" width="400">

This is a stonefly larva. It was dead, so it was easy to take a picture of. You can tell its a stonefly because it has 2 tails.(well im not super sure but mr. Teacher guy says, so ok!)It scored pretty high(very intolerant or sensitive to pollution) so we got plus 4points!

[LINK]" width="400">

This, apparently, is another stonefly....

[LINK]" width="400">

Ok, its not my fault that all my partners took pictures of were stoneflies=http://.......

[LINK]" width="400">

Breakthrough! This may be a damselfly larva!............or a........

.........stonefly........NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Well, if you dont want to look at just STONEFLIES, look at someone elses blog!

Article posted November 7, 2011 at 03:41 AM GMT • comment • Reads 101

chimacum creek had a score of 21. that means potentially GOOD water quality. yellowjacket creek had a score of .... well...25. that means that it had potentially EXCELLENT water quality.bleah. well.. thats ok......still. bleah.

Article posted November 8, 2011 at 04:18 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 81

Ok i dont know what happened to the pictures on macros aka bugs. Wierd. Well anyway, they were pics of stoneflies. The end.....

I saw a scud that was going around in circles.  They looked really gross.  They were brown and had a bunch of legs.

p.s sorry i did not put a  pic on

Article posted November 7, 2004 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment • Reads 80

There are different types of bugs such as there are very intolerant then intolerant then tolerant then very tolerant. If you found mayfly or a stonefly were worth 4points they were very intolerant so they could not stand polluted water the cray fish and crane flys the tolerant bugs were scuds and very tolerant bugs were like bloodworms and leaches

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 04:14 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 67

These are bugs from chimicum creek we had the fish and recreation take samples for us so we could see what bugs we could find the bug at the top of the blog is called a stonefly it was not alive then the second picture is of a stone fly to when it's flipped over the third picture is the tail of a scud

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 04:12 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 61

When we went to a camp called cispus with our school we went on a hike to yellow jacket creek so we took a little score sheet with types of bugs tolerant not so tolerant and intolerant to pollution so the more tolerant the less the score then in the end you add them all up and you get a bug score and the score for yellow jacket creek was 25 points chimicum creek was not as healthy as yellow jacket creek it was only 20 points well according to our period

The fish and wild life took a study called a Bibby and had to count every single bug in the creek are score didn't come out great but are creek goes through alot of different types of land like farm land that sprays pesticide and manour and it goes under a bridge and through towns so it has lots of types of pollution exposed to it. Thanks for reading.

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 04:32 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 120

This is a mayfly larva,Mayflies are very intolerant.It has two tails,two intenae,and six legs.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 04:36 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 84

This is a giant scud.Scuds are only worth two points on the paper because they are tolerant to water pollution.It turns out Chimicum Creek got a score of 21!The picture below shows how we did it.

Heres how it works.First we took bugs from Chimicum creek.And then we put them under a microscope an take pics.Then we identify them.And if they are very intolerent then they are worth 4 points.If they are intolerent they are worth 3 points.If they are tolerent they are worth 2 points.If they are very tolerent they are only worth one.We came up with 21 points thats a high score.Thats good! Now if you compare Chimicum creek to Yellow Jacket creek Yellow Jacket creek won.They got 25 and we got 21.

/Users/per1/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2011/Roll 6/20111026_080720711.png/Users/per1/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2011/Roll 6/20111026_080730079.png/Users/per1/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/Roll 6/20111026_080436884.png

the firs bug is a alder fly and it was dead

and the senond picture is the same thing just we got a better picture of that one!

and the thierd picture is a littol baby stone fly and it was dead all the pictures where all dead!!!.

Article posted November 7, 2011 at 04:12 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 101

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 04:30 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 343

Chimacum creek got a score of 21.And yellow jacket creek got a score of 25.yellow jacket creek got the highest score.Chimacum was more polluted than yellow jacket.Thats why yellowjacket scored more

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 04:26 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 186

The upper to pics are scuds and the bottom pic is the tale of a stonfly.

This is a stonefly my team found in our water sample.I think it's dead.ICK=http://!I don't really like bugs or "MACROS".our creek scored about 20 in our water quality test.That is pretty good actually.:)

BYE PEOPLEZ=http://

Fruitpie

<3

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 04:17 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 83

Hello people!!!

This is really cool.When we went to yellow jacket creek,we observed the bugs in the water to find out how clean it was.As a total, our score was 25!!

Now,recently we had people from the North West Salmon Coalition came to our classroom,and they had bug samples from Chimicum creek.(the water smelled like feet)And my team found a segmented worm or something like that,and a stonefly.That is REALLY confusing!!Stoneflies are rated 4 points on our chart we used to rate Chimicum creek,and worms are only rated 1 point.

Well,any ways,my entire class rated Chimicum creek with 21 points.That is only a 4 point difference.Yellow jacket creek ended up being cleaner than our creek,but the difference was not much.We scored pretty well.

BYE PEOPLEZ!!!

Fruitpie

Yellow Jacket Creek scored a 25 in the bugs we found. Chimacum Creek scored 21 we got that score because they brought some containers filled with water and we looked through the water with a spoon. Group 1 of the bugs was intolerant and it was worth 4 points. Group 2 was a little bit more tolerant and it was worth 3 points. Group 3 was really tolerant and it was worth 2 points. Group 4 was exttremely tolerant and those bugs were worth 1 point. We found a few live scuds but most of all the bugs were dead because the water in Chimacum Creek is cold and the water we had was warm because of the room tempature.

In our group we found scuds. Most of the bugs were dead and all ripped up so that was pretty gross. Whenever we caught a scud since they were alive it was really hard to take pictures of it because they kept going around in circles. Other than that it was really cool.

p.s Sorry I didnt put any pictures on

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 01:43 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 106

this is an alderfly. you will see that it losts its leg and it is floating in the water next to it. alderflies are somewhat pollution tolerant. Now here is a challenge. there will be a picture and you will have 2 guess what the bugs are and comment to tell

me.Our creek score is 21. wich means that our creek is doing really good

and isnt very polluted. here iS some more pictures.

scuds are in the tolerant to pollution group. this is a scud not very nice looking? it is in the family of shrimp. here is an alderfly that lost most of its legs so here it is Yellow jacket creek at cispus got 25 points and that means it isnt very polluted. so that means that yellow jacket creek and chimacum creek arent polluted so that is good.

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 04:01 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 104

1.worm 1 point

2.scud 2 points

3.caddisfly 4 points

4.stonefly  4 points

im sorry i FORGOT ALL THE OTHER BUGS but we added it up to 20 points in all.....

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 04:31 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 92

chimacum 21 points

yellowjacket 25

well yellowjacket was the less polluted creek.And chimacum was more polluted because of the manouer and all the bad chemicals from all the machines working in it and around it.

A bug from Chimacum Creek, I believe it a Scud. It is the only picture i had, sadly. Most of them didn't save.

YellowJacket Creek scored 25 on how healthy it is, with 23 being really healthy. Chimacum Creek scored 21, we got that score by finding bugs, some intolerant, some tolerant, some really tolerant and a few extremely tolerant. Group 1 (intolerant) were worth 4 points, group 2 (tolerant) was worth 3 points, group 3 (really tolerant) was worth 2 points, group 4 (extremely tolerant) was worth 1 point. With all of the bugs added up we scored 21 points but we didn't find very much intolerant bugs, and that ain't good.

So, Yellowjacket Creek won over Chimacum Creek, that may be because Yellowjacket Creek is more isolated than Chimacum Creek. But with Yellowjacket Creek as 25, and with Chimacum Crrek as 21, it is a pretty close score for both of them. Overall, it was pretty close, but Yellowjacket Creek prevailed by a bug or two.

this is a photo of a dead scud i found in chimacum creek.

thanks for reading and looking.

Article posted November 7, 2009 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment • Reads 103

this is a picture of a moving scud.

this is another moving scud.

these are worth 3 points from our out door education program which scored using how tolorent  the bug was to pollution. there is 4 different groups 1.intolerent, 2. somewhat intolerent,  3.somewhat tolerent, 4. very tolerent

this is another part of my other macro blog which also had a scud but it was dead.

Article posted November 7, 2011 at 04:22 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 65

In some other blogs I showed pictures in this blog I will tell you which creek scored better yellow jacket or chimacum.

Well my pictures would mean that chimacum scored 2 points because scuds are worth 2 points. but luckly other people found more bugs like mayflys and stoneflys that are worth more.

chimacum scored 21 points total. And yellow jacket creek scored 25 points total. so that means yellow jacket creek is a little bit cleaner. it also means that we have potentially good water quality and yellow jacket creek has potentially exelent water quality.

this is our picture. of bugs we got from the chimacum creek to test the water quality

So that is a gigantic scud we found but unluckely:( it is dead so it wasnt as fun as the live ones.

This is a scud so it is worth 2 points on the scoring sheetand is tolerant to water pollution. all the bugs we could find this was one of the ones we could get.

Over all the whole class got  20 points out off all the bugs we found so chimacum creek scored 20 p

oints

and comparing yellow jacket creek t o chimacum creek we scored 20 and yellow jacket creek from cispis scored 25 so our creek is a little cleaner

What did the scud say to the may fly?

Haha Im more tolerant than you!

This joke was written By: Alfonso Gonzalez a.k.a Mr. G

We found out that this scud is in the group three tolerant.

Yellow jacket creek scored 25 points on how healthy it is. Chimacum creek scored 21 points. 23 points means that the creek is very healthy. We aren't quite there but we came close. We got 21 because some of the bugs we found were very tolerant. Tolerant isnt always good. Tolerant means that the bugs in the water can handle water pollution. Too much water pollution could hurt our salmon. Group one, intolerant, were worth four points, group two, tolerant, were worth three points, group three, really tolerant, was worth two points, group four, extremely tolerant, was worth one point. With all of the bugs we scored a total of 21 points. Now most people would be wondering why yellow jacket creek got a better score than chimacum creek. The reason is that their bugs were less tolerant. And the reason is because less tolerant bugs means that they can't stand water pollution. Yellow jacket creek had less tolerant bugs and less tolerant scores more points. Something that might have helped chimacum get a better score is if there wasn't as much civilization by our creek.

Both of these pictures are aquatic worms. The aquatic worms were found in Chimacum creek.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 106

Here is a scud that period 6 g1 fond it is worth 2 points that means it is tolerant to pollution. We scored our creek after everybody got a microscope and a sample of water then the whole class put in what they found, and as a total of the bugs that we found, and got 21 points. 21 points is a potentially good water quality but on BIBI we were very low integrity but we have a good creek. When we went to Cispus we went to a creek called yellow jacket creek after we came back we saw that the creek that we saw was clearer and it was mostly the same just a little bit higher so its a lot different but its still cool to see bug .

To look at creek water, you can use a magnifying glass.

The name of a single-celled plant-like protist is the amoeba.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 93

In my group, we looked at aquatic bugs under a microscope. :) After that, we started researching them. Our group found a stonefly and a scud. I like the scud. The scud looks kind of like a potato bug shrimp thing. It's grey, and really fast.The stonefly was creepy. They look like weird earwigs with anxiety. They squirm like worms.The stonefly is intolerant to water pollution, but  that earned us four points, and the scud is tolerant to water pollution which gave us two more points. After that, we scored  our creek. We got 21 for our creek's score, and Yellowjacket creek got 25, so Yellowjacket creek has a higher score than Chimacum creek. We gave our creek 21, because of it's quality. Chimacum creek, however, has a lower quality than Yellowjacket creek, although they came close.That's pretty much about all I have to say.

THE END=http://!!

This is a Stonefly larva.

this is a stonfly larva

this is also a stonily larva..

This is a flat worm it is tolerant to pollution.

Yellow jacket creek scored 25.Chimacum creek scored 21 so yellow jacket creek Is more healthy then Chimacum creek and 25 is excellent so yellow jacket creek is excellent.

This is a Mayfly.Mayflies have 3 intenaes,and they are also very intolerant.

This is a stonefly there worth 4 points there very intolerant to the water pollution yellow jacket creek got a score of 25 points 4 points diffrence to chimacum creek

This is a scud there worth 2 points there tolerant to the water pollution are chimicum creek got a score of 21 points

Article posted November 7, 2011 at 04:07 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 97

Yellow jacket creek got a score of 25 chimacum got a score of 21 points yellow jacket is less polluted than chimacum creek yellow jacket creek is cleaner than chimacum

This is a stonefly that that we found at the Chimacum creek.