Water quality jobs and how our creek is doing

For a while now we have been studing water quality and jobs. Also we have been learning about how healthy or creek is.These are my notes.

D.O.

What is this year's average for D.O.?

8.125

What does that mean about our creek's D.O. levels? Greater than 5.0 and less then 10? D.O. makes the water healthy and taste good. It does not effect the plants. Our creek is healthy! Plants give off oxygen that cleans out the carbon.

P.h.

What is this year's average pH?

6

What does that mean about our creek's pH levels?

This means that our water is acidic. But our creek is great and makes it easy on the fish.

Turbitity

What is this year's average turbidity?

44.7 NTUs

What does that mean about our creek's turbidity levels?

This is good because there is no acid or dead plants and fish.100NTUs fish suffer stress. 1000 NTUs fish die in a mater of weeks. 10000 NTUs fish die in days. 0-50=good.

Amonium

What is this year's average ammonium level?

1.6 MG/l????

What does that mean about our creek's ammonium levels?

This was not accurate data for this year but last years was accurate and it was .08 which all it does is give the fish a little bit of gill damage. So this is preety well for a creek.

Flow Rate

What is this year's average flow rate?

1972.8 gallons per second.

What does that mean about our creek's flow rate levels?

This means that this is good because there are still baby fish and bugs. This shows that it is easy for the fish to survive.

Temputure

What is this year's average water temperature?

37.1

What does that mean about our creek's water temperature levels?

This means that our temputure is good and the fish will survive because the water is not to warm.

How did the water temperature compare to the air temperature this year?

The outdoor was 44.7 and the water is 37.1. They are about the same.

My job was nitrates. We got an average of .3mg/l. That is pretty good because it is good to be under 1 mg/l. If you read about eutriphication.

So after all of this data and notes that i have taken i came up with the conclusion that chimacum creek is doing very well according to all the data and seeing this salmon alive.

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 02:43 PM • comment • Reads 36 • see all articles