Thursday January 26 2012 all of the sixth graders went tree planting. My group planted lots of shrubs. Me and my partner planted 10 trees. We couldn't have done it if it wasn't for all of the volunteers especially Jac and Alina. Thank you very much.

EGGS The salmon life cycle starts with the female salmon digging out shallow reed and puts the eggs in there and then the male fertilizes them and then buries them with small pebbles.The young eggs need a clean cool supply of water.The young pee sized eggs have alot of threats such as people walking across them and animals. ALEVIN They hatch in the spring and are about one inch long and have a large yolk sack under there head that gives them nutrients. The alevin dont have near as many threats just bigger fish and other animals. Fry This is the next step in the salmon life cycle and are a little bit larger and dont rely on their yolk sacks anymore and now feed on zooplankton. Their threats now are bigger fish and animals.

Parr This is the next step from fry andstart to grow parr marks that camoflauge them in away from predators.They are about 5 inches long and feed off small bugs and worms.Parr do not have many threats because of the parr marks.http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per5/g7/FryParr.jpg" /> Smolt This is the stage when they adapt to salt water.They start to eat shrimp and squid and will live in the sea for 1 to 8 years.Their threats now is a seal whales and other animals.Also the everyday threat, water

pollution.http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per5/g7/Smolt.jpg" /> Adult Salmon They weigh 2 to 125 pounds in weight and vary from 14 inches to 5 feet in length. Their threats are seals and whale. They do not need to feed small stuff they feed on the small fish they used to be. They also slowly are adapting back to the fresh water.

Article posted November 16, 2011 at 09:14 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 55

This is for the water cycle.Thank you to my snappers Peyton and Samuel.Click on the link below.Enjoy!

Article posted November 1, 2011 at 09:14 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 53

.

The first picture is a stonefly. The second picture is a mayfly larva. The third picture is another stonefly. Our score for our creek was 21 for the whole class.The way we score our creek is we take a sample of the stuff from the creek and find all the bugs inside.There are four different types of categories the bugs are in. There are very tolerant bugs, tolerant bugs, intolerant bugs and very intolerant bugs. The first bug type that I mentioned is worth 1 point, the second is worth 2 points and so on to 4 points.The more the points the better.Here is our score sheet. The creek we went to at Cispus (yellow jacket)got a score of 25 compared our score of 21. The reason they got a better score is because it doesn't get polluted as much.

What is this world coming to. All of are natural water resources are being polluted everyday. In this blog I will talk to you about water pollution.

To start it off,what is water pollution?It is the contamination of water bodies including: lakes,rivers,oceans,and ground waters,ect. Water pollution occurs when pollutants are discharged directly or indirectly into water bodies. The seven types of water pollution is surface water pollution, oxygen depleting, ground water,nutrients, microbiological, suspended matter and chemicals.

Next, what are some of the causes of water pollution?Sewage and wastewater, marine dumping,industrial waste,radioactive waste,oil pollution, that is a big one,underground storage leakages,atmospheric deposition,global warming and eutrophication.(Poop and fertilizers.)

Now, what are some of the consequences of water pollution?In Walkerton, Ont. E-coli was in the towns drinking water.Seven people died and over 2000 got sick. Also aquatic animals could endangered and it disrupts the plants growth.

What can we do to improve the quality of water after it has been polluted ?We can do a industrial water pollution treatment,ozone wastewater treatment,septic tank and sewage treatments.

Those are most of the treatments that can be applied.This is something that us all of us can do. What are some actions that can be taken to help prevent water from becoming polluted?Don't throw bad things down into the septic system.Don't litter into bodies of water.Help clean up litter on nearby beaches or in the water.Make sure to put the trash in the trash afterwords.Also do not run the water alot because that is water that has to get cleaned for no reason when it is already clean.

If you have read my whole blog I hope you found some of this interesting and that's pretty much all I know about water pollution.

1. Pizza is Italian food

2. Chimacum is in Jefferson County

3. Jefferson County is in Washington

4. Washington is in the United States of America

5. The United States of America is in North America

6. North America is on planet earth

7 There are twelve months in a year

Article posted September 29, 2011 at 09:21 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 57

I don't think it will rebuild itself to it's old shape because mountains don't grow and it may erode. Also it could erupt again in 0-200 years.

All Entries       All Titles Next Entries