Copyright (c) 2014 by typ Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
typ -- Blogmeister

Ph-

by typ teacher: Alfonso Gonzalez
polar biome 10/18/13
7 randum facts 09/22/13
05/24/12
Friction 05/14/12
pH 05/14/12
mount st .helens 11/08/11
Water Pollution 11/07/11
Water Cycles 11/06/11
My 7 random facts 11/04/11

pH
Acidic and basic are two extremes thatdescribe chemicals, just like hot and cold are two extremes that describe temperature. Mixing acids and bases can cancel out their extreme effects; much like mixing hot and cold water can even out the water temperature. A substance that is neither acidic nor basic is neutral.

The pH scale measures how acidic or basic a substance is. It ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is neutral. A pH less than 7 is acidic, and a pH greater than 7 is basic. Each whole pH value below 7 is ten times more acidic than the next higher value. For example, a pH of 4 is ten times more acidic than a pH of 5 and 100 times (10 times 10) more acidic than a pH of 6. The same holds true for pH values above 7, each of which is ten times more alkaline—another way to say basic—than the next lower whole value. For example, a pH of 10 is ten times more alkaline than a pH of 9.

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 01:54 PM • comment • Reads 40 • see all articles