-

My recent blogs have been about the Chimacum creek. This blog is going to put all that info into one blog.

Nitrates:The average for Nitrates is 0.3mg/L.That means that our creek is doing good because it is not above 1.0mg/L. If there is too much nitrate in the water then the algae and bacteria will grow and then fish will die.If there is no algae and bacteria then that will be good for the algae part but the bacteria part will be bad because the bacteria makes the corpses go away.

DO:The average for this year is 8.125mg/L. That number means that are creeks D.O. levels are good because it’s not below 5.0 and it’s not above 10.0.D.O. means Dissolved Oxygen.

Ph:The average for this year is 6.It means that the creek is doing really good. It is good because it is not exactly 7 and it's not close to 14 or 0. Ph means Positive Hydrogen. If it is below 7 then it is acidic but if it is above 7 then it is alcoline.

Turbidity:The average for this year is 44.7NTU. That means our creek is low on turbidity. We want low turbidity because if it's high then our creek is muddy but if it's low then we have clear water.

Ammonium:The average for this is 1.6 but that is not likely but that is what we got.It means that our creek is bad with ammonia. The best ammonia is 0.0 and the higher the worse.

Flow Rate:The average for this year is 1972GPS. That is good because fish can rest in the water and it’s not going to slow because there is no algae. If it goes too fast then the fish can't rest.

Temperature:The average for this year is 37.13F. That mans that our creek is clean and cool for the fish so in other words, it’s GREAT! The water temperature (37.13) compares to the air temperature (44.35) this year because the water temperature is colder than the air temperature.

Now ya have it folks. Our creek is doing great, now when ever you drive over it you can say "We just drove over a healthy creek.

This is me at the creek!!!!

[LINK]

Article posted February 15, 2012 at 01:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per5/g8/Picture%201.png

The field trip was awesome. We went to Snow Creek. I was a whole digger and the funnest part about it was smashing the dirt apart. The way to the creek was fun. I really enjoyed walking across the bridge.

Eggs

Alevin

Fry

Parr

Smolt

Adult Salmon

Spawner Salmon

Salmon Eggs:

The dangers are people and animals stepping on the redd, dirt getting washed into the redd, horseback riders, fishermen, loggers, livestock or a hiker. The needs are non cold and non polluted water, trees, plants and shade. A description of an egg is it is orange with a black dot in the middle.

Salmon Alevin:

A description of an Alevin is it is one inch in length, it is a mix between clear and orange and it has a yolk sack. It needs it's yolk sack for food. It's dangers are Gulls,dippers, sculpins and trout.

Salmon Fry:

The needs of a fry are zooplankton and shade. The dangers of a fry erosion, no bushes, trees, woody debris, landslides and sediment run off. A fry is shiny silver with a fin at the end and two fins on the top and thie bottom.

Salmon Parr:

A parr is shiny silver with parr marks and it has a back fin and two fins on the top and the bottom. The dangers of a parr are mergansers and great blue heron. The needs of a parr are aquatic insects, worms, amphibian larvae, fish eggs and young fish.

Salmon Smolt:

They are the same as parr but the have blueish green backs.

Adult Salmon:

The dangers of an adult salmon are orca whales, sea lions, seals and commercial fishermen. The needs of an adult salmon are small fish, shrimp and squid. It is silverish green and it has two fins on the top and bottom and it has a back fin.

Spawner Salmon:

The needs and dangers are the same as a adult salmon. A spawner has red all over but it's head part is yellowish brown with a hook type lip.

The Chimacum creek got a score of 21, and you probably dont know what that means so I will tell you. We get 4 points from every very intolerant to water pollution bug we get. Their is Stoneflies, Caddisfles, Mayflies and Dobsonflies and we found every single one of those bugs so we got 16 points from that. Then there is also intolerant bugs but we didnt find any bugs from that catagory. But then we found a tolerant scud so we got 2 points from that. In our last catagory, very tolerant, we got 3 points because we found a Flat worm, Aquatic worm and a Tubifex worm. In all we got 21 out of 25 points. But when our 6th grade went to our outdoor education camp (CISPUS) the creek there got a score of 25 and that is the best score. Now I'm jealous that our creek got a lower score.

R P I O V O M C I D Z N P K F Y D I Z B N S H C H

T J W Y B W L O G E Q Y L Q D Z I N H J L V F Z H

C O R K R J Y N M V Z Z L B L E M P W E F Q O C L

P C H R V T K D H I M I F I B V M U E D P L I O N

K F R I X I T E X R A R E K A L X T Z G A Z R P S

Z U D U S X O N M H M Z A H U G X A S G S F P P E

S P D X W R W S P E S G W F T U K M R D K K N I J

S I C G U V S A D R N O I T C E L L O C C G I S R

B D V O P G P T M C E X G W J K H I H Q W P A R V

V B U N Z O N I G A S C P R Z A C K J G H O R K Y

F L W O R V F O A Q E B I X C A M E Y R X Y N E X

B G P E L A T N J A Q O I P J J I C V P Y R V S Z

V O T P C C Y Q G Z D V L E I F Q J X B H A Y R R

J A C Y Q X B S W R K Z K N A T Z F U G P Q K X I

W X R E R J B W L K G R D I V B A Q Z O R P E I V

D Z S D A R K I P N P T N H S P X T R C Y C L E E

I W H F J N R L H U T H P P J N C A I R N H J G R

U A L A E T U P Q Y W T P B Q J T D P O X I M J L

Q E P A U L Z O D R S M K E P I V P X T N V P I K

I I Y Z V B X X S O C O P V O V T P Y I G P Y O Z

L I F V F X V H L T D Y R N L A U F B A H R S Y F

C A Q T Y I F P W H E H D V C H F W L E Z I T K Z

I A C V P I Z Y F U W T O P E V M N T L U K Z I X

G B O X E Q C S W P C J J E R Y Q F B N B V S E P

G Y O L S P R C A D S G B W H J M N X G Z W Q Y M

CLOUDS

COLLECTION

CONDENSATION

CYCLE

EVAPORATION

GAS

HAIL

LAKE

LIQUID

OCEAN

PRECIPITATION

RAIN

RIVER

SLEET

SNOW

WATER

Today I'm going to teach you how to walk through walls, I'm just kidding, I'm going to teach you about water pollution and how to stop it and stuff like that.

Question 1: What are some ways to prevent water pollution?

You can turn off the tap water when you dont need it. Another way is to not throw stuff down pipes. The last thing is to pick up trash on the beach.

Question 2: What are some sources of water pollution?

When different types of metal go into the water, it can cause water pollution. Pesticides can cause water pollution when there in the water. Petroleum is a chemical that is in ships and if that certant ship wrecks, it will cause the petroleum to get into the water and it will cause water pollution.

Question 3: What are some of the Dangers/Consequences of water pollution?

When "Microbial pollutants" get into the water it can spread into your drinking water and give you a disease. Nutrients can cause a "increase in aerobic algae and depleat oxygen" so the fish die. Suspended particals in drinking water and fish water decreases its quality.

Question 4: What are some ways to make water pollution clear?

Ozone is something that can make the water clear again if it is polluted. "Untreated sewage" can go into a septic tank and the tank seperates the solides from the liquides so the water will be clear again. You should put fertilizer on your crops but if there is low oxygen levels the fertilizer turns into bad gases and kills your crops. Bad sewage goes through a phase where some of the bad particals are removed from weird filters.

Question 5: What is water pollution?

Oceans, Rivers and Lakes can have water pollution on the surface of the water and that is called surface water pollution. Biodegradable substances will feed on the remaining oxygen. This is called oxygen depletion. When underground water is polluted, it is called ground water pollution. Concetrations can cause a bad efect in your drinking water if there is to much of it. Microorganisms is another way of water pollution. This is called

Microbiological water pollution. Pollutants sometimes have bigger molecules that dont dissolve and can cause a type of water pollution called Suspened matter. Some chemicals that industrial workers use can float through the air and can cause a type of water pollution called Chemical water pollution.

Article posted September 30, 2011 at 09:14 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 64

1. I have a dog.

2. I have two cats.

3. I have a motorized scooter.

4. I have a mountain bike.

5. I have a Xbox360.

6. I have a Ipod touch.

7. I like pizza.

Previous Entries All Entries       All Titles Next Entries