Article posted March 8, 2012 at 11:05 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 505

Our amazing water quality project has come to an end. Students have been busy the last few weeks sharing presentations of their work with each other, writing final conclusion blogs (#comments4kids), and self-assessing their understandings of the Science standards that most closely fit our project.

Since we are beginning a completely different unit studying physical science students who are not done with any of the above can access any of it from home to finish. Their goal is to have all this work done by March 28 for student-led conferences! Parents don't forget that you can see what we're doing in Science by visiting my HW/Daily work site.

Chimacum Creek, both Forks and Mouth.

Here is a picture of the Pacific Northwest Peninsula. We find it on a map of WA state by looking for the peninsula that looks like a dragon. The dragon's head is where Port Townsend can be found while just south of there, where the heart of the dragon would be, we find Chimacum and Port Hadlock and Port Ludlow. On this image you can see the two forks of our creek. It's the west fork that passes through our campus so that is the one that we get all our data from.

Slightly more detailed view of Chimacum Creek, both forks, as they lead to the mouth.

This image is a zoomed in view of the first image. This one allows a slightly more detailed view of Chimacum Creek, including both the West and East Forks.

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 08:51 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 91

My job is dizzolved oxygen wich is the long term for D.O. And dizzolved oxygen is what fish breathe.The best levels are 5.0 and up to at least 18.0 anything below or above is a form of polution .Our hear average is 8.125 and thats great!

PH is short for positive hydrogen and the years average was 6 and that means good! Once again the levels are good .

Turbitity means how clear the water is and the years average is 44.7 and that means its good! Wich is the types time ive wrote so chimucum creek must be good.

Nitrates is a mix of one nitrogen molecule and three oxygen molecules and the years average was 0.3 that means its good man ! This creek is good .

Ammonia is a gas wich can kill alot of fish wich is sad :(

The year average is 1.6 wich is impossible because we've seem fish and this level would mean the fish would be dead see!

Flow rate is the flow of the creek and it's to find the speed of the creek and the speed is 1,972. If it's too fast and too slow it's bad.

Tempurtere is too find the tempature of the creek .If the tempature is too hot or too cold the fishes will die .the year average isn27*c which is alright .

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 09:26 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 43

Roses are red, violets are blue, our creek is clean, clear, and cool. Nitrates, Ph and others like DO, lead us to one thing that all of us know. Chimacum Creek is doing great, so jump off your chair and celebrate!!!

That's right Chimacum Creek is absolutely great! If you don't believe so, I'll prove it to you. All the sixth graders in Chimacum divided into water quality jobs and gathered this data:

DO ( disolved oxygen ) average= 8.125 mg/l which is not too high or too low

Ph ( positive hydrogen ) average= 6 which means that our creek is almost pure but slightly acidic.

Turbidity average= 44.7 NTU which means our creek is clear.

Nitrates average= 0.3 mg/l which means that there is enough nitrates for algae to grow but not enough for fish to be effected.

Ammonium average= 1.6 mg/l which is the only average here that is bad.

Flow rate average= 1972.8 gal/s which is slow enough for fish to rest but fast enough for the algae to not grow super big.

Temperature average= 31.13 dergrees F which means the creek is cool. ( As in cold ).

This data proves that Chimacum Creek is doing well. And if this still doesn't convince you, that data is backed by our benthic macros research.

Jac and Aliina from the North Pacific Salmon Collition brought in water samples from the creek that had a bunch of bugs in it. A tool on the moodle showed us a chart of what bugs are tolerant and sensitive. We identified many mayflies which are very sensitive. That means that our creek is clean enough to be home to very sensitive bugs.

So, all of this years water quality research has totally paid off, it lets us know that Chimacum Creek is doing awesome. But, just because we know that the creek is clean and healthy, doesn't mean we can take it lightly. We still need to make sure it stays clean. So please stop doing anything that might pollute it, even litering on land can effect the creek.

This is the nitrates data that the nitrates people all the way from 2002 through 2011 gathered. It takes a pretty big drop at the begining, then it stays the same for a while, and then takes a huge incline. This tells us that the nitrates level has dropped and risen over the past 10 years.

this is about our creek. our creek is doing ok but befor i tell you most of it you better read the rest..

What is this year’s average D.O.?

8.125 millileters per second 

What does that mean about our creek’s D.O. levels?

It is good for the Creek. The more sun light the more Oxygen is in the water. Also once oxygen touches the water airflowes and and oxygen is made in water. Enething above 10.0 of air that gets into the water ,causes water pollution. What is this year’s average pH? 6  mg / L

What does that mean about our creek’s pH levels?

0 is the lowest and 14 is also bad because it is to high,alcoline.

7 Is a good number of Sitick in the water. What ever the number is. Our body has ph in it. The amount of ph in our body is 

the number grater then it is 10 times the amount of Sitic. We want to drink water that has 7 ph in it that is nutral and good. If there is more H’s it is a Sitic. P h means positive hydrogen. If you put lemon juice and bleach nutralizis it.

What is this year’s average turbidity?

44.7 N.T.U. millileters per second

What does that mean about our creek’s turbidity levels?

Turbidity is the difference between clear water and durty water.

If the pond is dirty it has more turbidity the clearer it is the less turbidity in the pond it has less. When the water is clear it is good. N.T.U. stands for Nephelometric turbidity units.

0-50 = pretty good. 

What is this year’s average nitrate level?     0.3    mg / L   

What does that mean about our creek’s nitrates levels?The nitragin cycle can start at eney point. No2 means unstable and that is bad. No3 means stable and that is good.

There are to stages of ntaragin stable and unstable low nitragin levels are good but higher then 0.5 is bad. you want higher then 0. to be good. this years level of chimicum creek is 0.3. air has 75% of nitrates.

what is this years average ammonium level?

1.6 ????????  0.02

what does that mean about our creek's ammonium levels?

Ammonium is made of nitrates and hygergin. Ammonium makes a grait cleaning tool when mixed in water.

it takes 1.4 to make the animal who drank the ammonium sick. poop and food can cause nitrogen, and you dont want to much nitrigen

most people are exposed to gas by filling up the tank in your car and that is bad for you because it has ammonium in it.

to much ammonium can disenigrate a fish part by part. there is no good number for ammonium.

what is this years average of flow rate?

1972.8 gallons / second

what does that mean about our creeks flow rate?

the water can get 1 meter high. the water gets a meter high some times because it rains and the season. if the water is going to fast, that causes the fish to have a strugle  to make it up river. if the water speed is to slow algee grows and wipes out the fish.

this years average of water temp is?

37.35       millileters per second

what does that mean about our creek? 

that means it is good you want 40.00 to be awesome. if the water temp gets to high the eggs bounce around and die. if the water temp gets to cold  the eggs will freese and we will have lost a life cycle.

how did the water temperature compare to the air? the water temp is 37.35 and the air temp is 44.7 degrease F

the difference is only 8.28. degrease F

by samuel 

What is this years average for D.O.well it is 8.125.the more

Sunlight the more oxygen is in the water.

Once oxygen touches the water airflows oxygen is made in the water=http://!! Anything above 10.0 creates water pollution. Oh and this years average is 6=http://!!

P.h.

the lowest ph.level is 0. 14 is bad because it is just thst high. is a deasent number.The number greater then ten is the amount of sitric. This years average in ph.is 44.8 ntu.

Turbididty-

Turbididtys average this year is 44.7 ntu. wich means our creek is a little low on turbididty. But low turbididty we kinda want beacause if it is high then our creek is muddy. but low makes our creek a really clear pretty creek.

ammonium-

this yeasr average is 1.6 wich means our creek isnt good with ammonium. the best is 0.0 the higher the worse lower the better (wich we want)

flowrate- the average for this years flowrate is 1972 gps. that is actually pretty good because fish can actually swim and rest in the water.if the water was going to fast then fish wouldnt be able to swim (wich would kill them)

tempature-

average for this year is 37.13f and that means our creek is clean and cold for the fish. the water tempature is 37.133 and compared to the air tempature is 44.35 so the air temp is colder than the water=http://

that is the end of water qualitie!!!!

The question is... How is Chimacum creek doing? Well read on and find out!

TEMPERATURE

What is this years average temp?

Water: 37.13 (f)

Air: 44.35 (f)

What does this mean about our creek?

It means that out creek temperature is pretty good.

D.O (dissolved oxygen)

What is this years average d.o?

It is 8.125

What does this mean about our creeks?

It means that it good, if it's over 10.0 it bad but if it's above 5.0 and below 10.0 it's good.

pH (positive hydrogen)

What is this years average pH?

6

What does that mean about our creek?

It means that it's not very acidic, and that's good.

7 is neutral and six is below that so sow I'd pretty good.

TURBIDITY

What is this years turgidity level?

44.7 n.t.u's

What does this mean about our creek?

It means our creeks turbidity levels is good.

Turbidity is measured in N.T.U's ( nephelometric turbidity units.) Turbidity is how clear our creek is.

NITRATES

What is this years average Nitrate level?

It is 0.3

What does that mean about our creek?

It means that it's good.

AMMONIUM

What is this years average Ammonium level?

1.6 mg/ l

What does that mean about our creek?

That means that our creeks Ammonium levels are bad.

Ammonium is measured in milligrams per litter.

FLOW RATE

What is this years average flow rate level?

1,972 gallons per second

What does that mean about our creek?

It means that it's good.

Creek jobs

Dissolved oxygen ( D.O)

pH (positive hydrogen)

Turbidity

Nitrates

Ammonium

Flow Rate

Temperature.

The miro-invertebrates (bugs) that live in our creek isn't very tolerant to pollution so our creek is doing good. It has a score of 21.

If you want our creek to keep doing better please don't pollut in it.

I think the creek is doing good. Because it has mostly good averages. But it also has some bad averages.

D.O.

Dissolved Oxygen.

D.O. average is 8.125 mg/L. which is good for are creek.

P.H.

Positive Hydrogen.

the average is 6. That is a good average for positive hydrogen for the Chimicum creek.

Turbidity

The average for turbidity is 44.7 NTU. Which is also good for the creek.

Nitrates

The average is .3 mg/L. This is also a good for are creek.

Ammonium

The average is 1.6 mg/L. Which is like the only bad average.

Flow Rate

The flow rate average is 1972.836884336 gallons per second. And that is good for are creek.

Temperature

The average is 37.13 Fahrenheit. Is also good for our creek.

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 09:18 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 66

First we learned about macros. We discovered our creek was healthy without much pollution when we found out that pollution intolerant bugs were living in our creek! Next we

took a deeper look into water pollution, I learned that there are lots of kinds of water pollution! After that we learned about the salmon life cycle. I learned that there are 7 cycles the

salmon go through egg, alevin, fry, parr, smolt, adult, and spawner. After all that learning we went down to our creek to see  how it was doing! We tested D.O, Ph, Flow rate,                    Nitrates,Temp,Turb, and Amnonia.With all of our data we learned our creek was doing good in all areas. And remember...DON'T POLLUTE OUR CREEK! 

We know our creeks D.O is doing well because we got an 8.125 mg/L and we wanted between 5.0 - 10.0. pH is doing well too because we wanted between 5.5-8 and we got a 6! Turbidity is also doing well because we wanted between 0-50 and we got a 44.7 ntu. Nitrates is doing good too because we want below a 1.0 and we got a .3 mg/L! We did not get a good score but...We know our creek is doing good in the ammonia department because we have fish living in our creek and pollution intolerant macros! Flow rate was my job this year and we got 1972 gallons per second into our creek and this amount of water is good for our creek because of the size and we know fish can rest and the creek is still flowing like a champ. Temp also did a good job this year with a average of 37.1 F, we wanted between 32 and 40 F.                                                                                                                                                               

So over all Chimacum Creek is doing BAD HORRIBLE NOT GOOD AT ALL.... Just kidding! Our creek is doing awesome! :) But to keep it this way we need to do things like NOT litter, NOT put things in the creek, or NOT put any other gross yucky stuff into our creek because that can affect our fish, macros, and even ourselves if we pollute too much.... Just think... Would you like to be living in gross garbage and stuff like that? I would not... 

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 08:54 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 57

This is the slide show for flow rate that my partner and I made!

Hope you like it! :)

All of the blog articles that i have done for science,have led to this one.Water quality,creek jobs,water pollution,etc etc.so,heres what i figured out.......

WATER QUALITY

water quality is like the creek jobs,but it is how water is doing as in just water.The levels of toxins,acids,etc etc.this is partly why we went down to the creek!

CREEK JOBS

the creek jobs are testing the levels of amnonia,turbidity,nitrates,dissolved oxygen,and more.we used tools to go down to the creek and test the water.I was turbidity which is the testing of cloudiness and clearness of water.So,we just check for the cloudiness because sometimes thatmeans that there are acids or dead plants in the water.

WATER POLLUTION

water pollution sorta ties in with the creek jobs.because some of the ways to get water polluted is some of the things we are testing for.like acids,amnonia,etc.it can be caused by fertilizer leaking in the water,sewage,garbage,and toxic chemicals.

HOW IS CHIMACUM CREEK DOING??

chimacum creek is doing very very well because all the levels of things like turbidity,dissolved oxygen,etc...exept for amnonia which is bad for the water and makes it polluted.the high level was thought to be a mistake tho.....

okay here are the creek lvls

D.O

D.Os average for this year is 8.125 MLG/L.this is good because it means our creek  doesnt have to much D.O and it doesnt have  to little D.O.

Nitrates

Nitrates average for this year is 0.3 mg/l this is good because if our creek has too much nitrates,the alge and the other plants will grow too much.

Turbidity-meh job!!!!

turbiditys average this year is 44.7 NTUs.this is relatively low and that is good for our creek because that means our water is clear.If the was is high in turbidity,that means that the water is muddy,foggy,or just unclear.if the water is foggy,that could mean that our water has acids,dead plants,mud,or something that is bad for our water.

PH

the average this year for ph is 6.this is great for our creek because if it is under seven it is acidic.if it is over seven t is alcoline.

Ammonia

the average level for ammonia this year is 1.6...this is the one that mr.g thinks is likely a mistake because it is very high and it means our creek is very high in ammonia and all the other levels are great.

Flow Rate 

1972 GPS is the average flow rate for this year.this is good for our creek because if the flow rate is to  fast then the fish cant rest and then they would be very tired.but he level is good because the fish can rest and they wont get pulled with the stream.

Temperature

the temperature level this year is good.37.13 F.this is good because if iti is too hot then the fish eggs would overheat.if it was too cold,they would freeze.

My recent blogs have been about the Chimacum creek. This blog is going to put all that info into one blog.

Nitrates:The average for Nitrates is 0.3mg/L.That means that our creek is doing good because it is not above 1.0mg/L. If there is too much nitrate in the water then the algae and bacteria will grow and then fish will die.If there is no algae and bacteria then that will be good for the algae part but the bacteria part will be bad because the bacteria makes the corpses go away.

DO:The average for this year is 8.125mg/L. That number means that are creeks D.O. levels are good because it’s not below 5.0 and it’s not above 10.0.D.O. means Dissolved Oxygen.

Ph:The average for this year is 6.It means that the creek is doing really good. It is good because it is not exactly 7 and it's not close to 14 or 0. Ph means Positive Hydrogen. If it is below 7 then it is acidic but if it is above 7 then it is alcoline.

Turbidity:The average for this year is 44.7NTU. That means our creek is low on turbidity. We want low turbidity because if it's high then our creek is muddy but if it's low then we have clear water.

Ammonium:The average for this is 1.6 but that is not likely but that is what we got.It means that our creek is bad with ammonia. The best ammonia is 0.0 and the higher the worse.

Flow Rate:The average for this year is 1972GPS. That is good because fish can rest in the water and it’s not going to slow because there is no algae. If it goes too fast then the fish can't rest.

Temperature:The average for this year is 37.13F. That mans that our creek is clean and cool for the fish so in other words, it’s GREAT! The water temperature (37.13) compares to the air temperature (44.35) this year because the water temperature is colder than the air temperature.

Now ya have it folks. Our creek is doing great, now when ever you drive over it you can say "We just drove over a healthy creek.

This is me at the creek!!!!

[LINK]

Article posted February 15, 2012 at 01:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 55

http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per5/g8/Picture%201.png

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 08:56 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 55

This is D.O levels from 2002-2012. D.O. Is measured by mg per liter.

This is a graph about D.O. For 2011-2012

For water quality we learned about microinvertebrates. Then we learned about the salmon life cycle.then we learmed about chimacum creek and water quality.

In microinvertebrates I learned that there in our creek and there is intolerant and tolerant to pollution. In salmon I learned the cycle. It starts with eggs, then alevin, then fry, then parr, then smolt, then adult, then spawning adult.

For chimacum creek I was D.O. We measure D.O. by mg/L. We got a scrore of 8.125. And thats gooood! pH is good too we got a 6 which is in acidic. Turbitys average is 44.7 NTU.

Nitrates average is 0.3 mg/L. Ammonium average is 1.6 but thats impossible because its really bad. Flow rates average is 1972.8. Temperatures average for water is 37.1 and the air is 44.7. Our creek is doimg really good because they are good averages.

So yes, our creek is doing really good! Please dont spit, litter, or pollute our creek! It is our creek and we have to take care of it!

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 08:42 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 116

This is a slideshow for D.O

pH

Acitic= Anything lower than 7 in the pH scale. What is this years average pH? Around 6. What does that mean about our pH? It means we have great pH!!

pH means: positive hydrogen.

Turbidity

Nephelometic turbidity units= NTU

0-50's NTU= good turbidity.

100 NTU's- fish suffer stress.

1,000 NTU's- fish die in days.

This years average for turbidity is 24.7. What does that mean about our creeks turbidity levels? It means that our creek is doing pretty good in turbidity.

Nitrates.

What's this years average for Nitrates? Out creeks average for Nitrates is 0.3. That means our creek is doing really good!

Ammonium.

Levels that reach 0.06 mg/L fish will suffer gill damage. 0.02 mg/L sensitive fish like Trout and Salmon begin to die. Near 2.0 mg/L even ammonia-tolerant die. Ammonia levels greater than aproxamentaly 0.1 mg/L usually indicate polluted waters. This years average for ammonium is 1.6. The average for this year is really bad for our creek! Ammonium is NOT good for our creek.

Flow rate.

This years average for flow rate is 1972.8. It means it's good! We can tell because the fish and bugs are still living.

Temperature.

This years average for temperature is 37.1 and for the air is 44.4. It means our creek is doing pretty good. How did the water temperature compare to the air temperature this year? The air is 44.7 and the water is 37.1. They are much alike! They are both pretty good!:)

Bradyn

There are seven water quality jobs. Those jobs are D.O., PH, Turbidity, Ammoia, Flow Rate, Nirates, and Temperture.

D.O.(disolve oxengen):It helps fish and other living organisms in the water. If the levels too high or too low it might be polluted.

PH: PH stands for positive hidgrogen it`s good if the positive hidrogen levels are low if it`s too high then the water might be polluted.

Nritrates: nitrates are molcules that are one part nigrogon and three parts oxengen 75% of our air is nitrates it`s also good for the water quality too but at lease over 0.2 if it1s over it`s bad.

Turbidty: turbidity shows how murky the water is. if it`s too murky than the water has alot of dirt, sand, and all other stuff in the water. the murkier it is the more pollutated the water is; it`s best if it`s clear.

Ammonia: Ammonia is a clear colorless foul smelling substance that can kill all the liveing things in the water wich is bad. If it`s levels are 0.6 or 0.8 then it will cause all the fish will die.

Flow Rate: Flow Rate is to find out how fast the water is in creeks. it`s best if the flow rate is slow because if the water is ruuning fast then the baby fishies will have a difficlt time swimming up the stream and the could die.

Temperture: temperture or temp. for short. I`ts to tell how warm the water is. The fish like salmon and trout perfer cold water. if ot`s warmer then they could die. the average temperture is 27 degrees c ( 31.13 degrees f)

Now you know how we figure out if the water is polluted or not. :-)

Have you ever heard of water quality? Water Quatlity is all the stuff thats in the water and water quality jobs is when you test the water to see if it`s polluted or bad for fish. My water quality job is Temp.(temperture) like if it`s too hot the eggs in the water is not gonna hach and if it`s too cold the eggs will freeze. Ether way the egg would die. Also fish need a different Temp. because there cold blooded(that means there body temperture changes to the same temp. to the habitat.) most fish like salmon will want cold water. And because of global warming the temperture of the water is riseing not just the land. Remember 75% of the earth is water and 1% is drinkable and use for everyday chores. So please take care of our planets water and please don`t drink the water if it`s not clean trust me.

HOW IS CHIMACUM CREEK DOING?

Dissolved Oxygen

What is this year’s average D.O.?

8.125

That means that there is a good level of DO that is not too high and not too low.

pH

What is this year’s average pH?

This year’s average PH is 6

That means our creek is slightly acidic.

Turbidity

What is this year’s average turbidity?

It is 44.7 NTU

It means that the creek turbidity level is very clean and grt for fish.

Nitrates

What is this year’s average nitrate level?

This year’s average nitrates level is 0.3

What does that mean about our creek’s nitrates levels?

That means that our creek is at a very good nitrate level that is at no risk of causing harm to the fish.

Ammonium

What is this year’s average ammonium level?

This year’s average Ammonium level is 1.6

What does that mean about our creek’s ammonium levels?

That means that our creek has a very bad level of Ammonium.

Flow Rate

What is this year’s average flow rate?

1,972 gallons per. second

What does that mean about our creek’s flow rate levels?

That means that our creek has a good speed that is slow enough for fish to rest when they have to. And fast enough so that algae can not grow really big

Temperature

What is this year’s average water temperature?

37.13

What does that mean about our creek’s water temperature levels?

The air tempature is 44.35

How did the water temperature compare to the air temperature this year?

The water tempature  is 37.13

I learned that there is no good level of DO.

I learned that our creek is slightly acidic.

I learned that our creek turbidity level is great and good for the fish.

I learned our creek has a good nitrate level and the creek can not harm any fish.

I learned that our creek has a very bad Ammonia level. There is not a Ammonia level that is good.

Our creek has a good speed that is Slow enough for fish to rest when they need to. And Fast enough so that Algae can not grow very big.

I learned that our creek has a very bad Ammonium level.

I learned that our creek has a good fow rate that is fast enough for algae not to grow to big and slow enough that fish can rest if they need to.

For a while now we have been studing water quality and jobs. Also we have been learning about how healthy or creek is.These are my notes.

D.O.

What is this year's average for D.O.?

8.125

What does that mean about our creek's D.O. levels? Greater than 5.0 and less then 10? D.O. makes the water healthy and taste good. It does not effect the plants. Our creek is healthy! Plants give off oxygen that cleans out the carbon.

P.h.

What is this year's average pH?

6

What does that mean about our creek's pH levels?

This means that our water is acidic. But our creek is great and makes it easy on the fish.

Turbitity

What is this year's average turbidity?

44.7 NTUs

What does that mean about our creek's turbidity levels?

This is good because there is no acid or dead plants and fish.100NTUs fish suffer stress. 1000 NTUs fish die in a mater of weeks. 10000 NTUs fish die in days. 0-50=good.

Amonium

What is this year's average ammonium level?

1.6 MG/l????

What does that mean about our creek's ammonium levels?

This was not accurate data for this year but last years was accurate and it was .08 which all it does is give the fish a little bit of gill damage. So this is preety well for a creek.

Flow Rate

What is this year's average flow rate?

1972.8 gallons per second.

What does that mean about our creek's flow rate levels?

This means that this is good because there are still baby fish and bugs. This shows that it is easy for the fish to survive.

Temputure

What is this year's average water temperature?

37.1

What does that mean about our creek's water temperature levels?

This means that our temputure is good and the fish will survive because the water is not to warm.

The outdoor was 44.7 and the water is 37.1. They are about the same.

My job was nitrates. We got an average of .3mg/l. That is pretty good because it is good to be under 1 mg/l. If you read about eutriphication.

So after all of this data and notes that i have taken i came up with the conclusion that chimacum creek is doing very well according to all the data and seeing this salmon alive.

okay, so you know how ive been talking about macro-bugs, water cycle, and temperature? well,all that data was to determine how our chimacum creek is doing. Here is a list of our parameters (jobs)results grading from a scale of really bad, bad,fine, good, really good, exellent, almost perfect, and perfect.

D.O(dissolved oxygen)-8.215 mg/L, pretty good.

pH(posotive hydrogen)-6, almost perfect.

turbidity(how clear the water is)-44.7 NTU, exellent.

Nitrates(a chemical in the air that is a food for algae)-0.3 mg/L, almost perfect.

Amommonium(a very unwanted toxic gas)-1.6 mg/L, fine.

Flow rate(self-explanatory)1972.83 gal/s,good

temperature(everyone should know what temperature is)37 (F),really good

here is a picture of the thing I used to measure temperature (my parameter). its called a lab quest.

now that the parameters are covered, lets talk about the macro-invertebrates.our creek got a pretty good score, it was about 21. there were lots of non-tolerant pollution bugs, which means there was not alot of pollution.

Salmon:they are very non-tolerant to pollution, and they are very sensitive.Can salmon survive in our creek? yes. that is yet another reason that shows that our creek has little pollution.The salmon seem to be perfectly fine. (exept for that spawner we found dying, but salmon die after laying eggs).

So, you may have been asking yourself this: how is chimacum creek doing? Well, from all the data it is.....................................................(suspense)........................................almost perfect! it has salmon, non-teolerant pollution bugs, and all the parameters are good -almost perfect! Our creek is doing good, and i hope it always will. if you want to help save our creek, do not throw stuff in it, do not throw heated pads in  it, and do not feed the animals. (and please stop spitting into it)

this is the route we took to the creek and back from our school. it was a 9min. round-trip

the top graph is in farenhight, the bottom is in celsius.

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 08:42 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 122

This year we have been studying water quality. we have studied Salmon, the water cycle, pollution, and macroinvertabrates (all have their own blogs, click on all entries to see them) so we could tell the healthiness of our creek. I will know share with you some of the information we have gathered.

WATER QAULITY PARAMETERS

==========================

D.O

The average D.O. for this year is 8.125 mg/l

D.O stands for dissolved oxygen

5.0 and up to a certain level (?10?) is good, So it is good.

It is good for humans, and fish. Air is the main way for

D.O to get in the water. Plants and help the D.O level too.

pH

this years average pH is 6

pH stands for positive hydrogen

0 and 14 are pollution. So it is very good. pH is a Measurement

Of acid. The acid level is multiplied by ten each level you

Go up or down from 7 (neutral).

Turbidity

This years average turbidity is 44.7 NTU's

Turbidity is the measurement of cloudiness and clearness 

It does not mean much because they experimented with

how to change the turbidity of the water. But other wise it

is good. Because when the water is clear that means that there

is good turbidity. 0-50 NTU is clear and therefore good.

Nitrates

This years average Nitrates is 2.3 mg/l

Nitrates are most of Nitrogen

Stable nitrates are 3 oxygen and 1 nitrogen in an atom. Unstable nitrogen is 2 oxygen and (unknown) Nitrogen in an atom. Low levels are good, high levels are bad. Nitrogen cycle is air, bacteria, plants, animals, dirt, last air/dirt. Nitrates affect algae and bacteria so if there is too much fish will die because there is too much algae and bacteria.

Ammonium

This years avergae ammonium is 1.6 mg/l

That is a bad number and is problaby not possible as there are salmon in our creek

It is a colorless bad smelling gas. It’s made from bacteria. The atom is made from 1 nitrogen, and 3 hydrogen. It makes very good fertilizer and cleaning products. It is found in animal manure. People get it from inhaling it. No numbers are good except for 0. But things close to 0 is pretty good too such as 0.1 or 0.2.

Flow rate

This years average flow rate is 1972.8 g/s

Medium speeds are good, slow is good but to slow is bad because algae grows and is not hindered by flowing water, fast is bad because fish can’t rest and young can’t swim.

Temperature

This is my parameter ( I measured it).  Some of the variables that affect the temperature of the water are: The color of the water (changes how much heat it absorbs, the darker the more heat absorbed), the depth of the water (the deeper the colder because they take more time to warm up), The amount of shade (it prevents parts of the water from getting warm from the cold), Nearby climate (Example: when the climate is cold the river is more cold then it would be in a hot climate) The seasons (Example: when the season is winter the river is more cold then it would be in summer) the temperature of the water coming into the water source (such as just un-frozen water running into the stream would cool it down or basically make it colder), the amount of water ( the more the slower it cools down). It affects the dissolved oxygen level in the water because when air is in water and it becomes warm it is less likely to dissolve, photosynthesis of aquatic plants because when the heat increases the rate of photosynthesis goes up until 32 degrees Celsius or 89.6 degrees Fahrenheit and then level off and decreases and the temperature increases past that, metabolic rates of aquatic organisms because when the heat changes so does their metabolism and they use more dissolved oxygen and they have less dissolved oxygen cause they are using more.If the temperature is too high or low the fish in any stage could die.It affects humans because some people make their living from fishing so if they died then they would be poor and no one would be able to eat any fish and if they relied on fish for food they might die.It affects vegetation because the plants in and around the water would not get the fish’s droppings that may act for fertilizer for them so they would not grow as well, and bugs would eat them more because there would not be fish to eat them.

This is what we measured the stuff with.

So all this tallys up so that eventually Chimacum Creek is...........................

........................................................................................................................

...............Very Good!!!!!.................................................................................

oops! you went to far!!! (unless you were heading to other blogs :)

her is the presentation my and my team made (sorry there are not any words :[ unfortunately)

You can enter the text of your blog here!

From what I heard from the other teams, we have a good creek. The turbidity for our creek is good. I have learned a lot about Temperature, Turbidity, D.O., pH, Nitrates, Flow Rate, and Ammonium. The oxygen that is dissolved in the water, is not in a bubble. The pH means almost perfectly clear water. What is this year’s average D.O.? 8.6 miligrams per liter What does that mean about our creek’s D.O. levels? The oxygen that is dissolved in the water, is not in a bubble. That level of D.O. is good. What is this year’s average pH? 6.5 What does that mean about our creek’s pH levels? Almost perfectly clear water. What is this year’s average turbidity? 44.7 NTUs What does that mean about our creek’s turbidity levels? It means it's almost perfectly clear water. What is this year’s average nitrate level? 0.3 mg/l What does that mean about our creek’s nitrates levels? This means this is good for our creek. What is this year’s average flow rate? 8.7 cubic meters per second What does that mean about our creek’s flow rate levels? It’s kinda high but it’s not too bad. What is this year’s average water temperature? 37.1 degrees farhenhight Average air temperature was 44.4 degrees farherhight What does that mean about our creek’s water temperature levels? It means it really good. How did the water temperature compare to the air temperature this year? The air temperature is usually higher than the water temperature.

Article posted March 7, 2012 at 02:42 AM GMT • comment • Reads 77

This is a conclsion of what the last post means is that 14-10and 0-3 is very bad for fish cause if fish are exposed to this type of water their scales burn off or they just die.Our chimacum creek ph is 5.57 and this is great.    I Reomeccd  that we wacth what the ph that is in pH.   

This is awer yeas data for nitrates

I learned that andersan lake got killed by nitrates and if you have to mutch wen you are yung you can git blue babby desses. fish need d.o.        d.o is in whater not bubbles

do not micks bleach and ammonia it's also good for plantes

hi terbitity = deseases over100=dead fish

tempichor if its to hi or to low it can kill fish woter temp is esenchle to fish life

ph of 0 = strongust ph of 6- weker    the smoller the fish the ezer thay die

AWER CREEK IS VARY VARY GOOD BECAUSE OF AWER DATA

BUT to keep that way you sould keep litter away frum the creek

we did water quality and my job was turbidity. parameter means job. this is another Q+A session, so you can skip around. **what is your parameter?** hmm, i sorta already answered this... well, mai parameter is turbidity. that means measuring how much stuff is in the water, how clear it is. **how does it affect water quality?**

it affects it by blocking light. no light equals no plants. no plants, well, no oxygen.

DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD. 

**how is it measured?**

in NTUs. Nephelometric Turbidity Units. heres how you get the NTU count. you take a water sample in a little test tube and put it in a little machine thing and close the lid. it shoots light through the water to sensors on the other side, and if there is stuff in the water, it can sense it.

**what levels are good?**

low levels, like 0-25 NTUs

**what levels are acceptable?**

toughie......well......lets see...25-100 NTUs......the higher levels arent very acceptable though.... they are more NOT acceptable.....

**what are bad levels?**

100+ NTUs   now that just makes me SAD.

**how does it affect fish?**

hhhhrrrmmmm......   well.... ok, done thinking. large amounts can clog the gills of fish and shellfish directly, so they suffocate. particles can provide a home for harmful microorganisms. fish cant see very well in turbid water, etc.

**how does it affect people?**

its bad for them, stuff can stick to the particles of dirt and you can get sick

thats all about my parameter. the end.

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 04:30 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 68

we are doing water quality and we have to write a CONCLUSION.   (neh neh!)    This means that i will be typing for FOREVER and will probably not ge it done till may. but i will start now and hopefully it will be done soon.

starting with D.O.                   D.O. is dissolved oxygen.

this is what i learned about D.O. oxygen goes into the water by touching it. ( cool....) and so that means  that (of course) the top of the water would have the more D.O.  so when you see the fish  GULPING THEIR POOR LUNGS OUT AT THE TOP OF THE WATER  you know that  the poor fishies are needing more D.O.

this years average D.O. was 9.16 mpl (milligrams per liter) that is goodish. i cant really  tell, because my job was NOT D.O. and the people whose job it was are all like "uuuhhhhh.... yeah."  and that is a disgrace i tell you! 

next is pH.                pH is like how acidic or basic the water is (i think...) it stands for Positive Hydrogen Ions

this years average is 6.314190 that is almost perfect, but a little bit acidic. here it is

13 = bleach

12 = soapy water

11 = ammonia solution

10 = milk of magnesia ( that medicine thingy )

9 = baking soda

8 = seawater

7 = pure perfect water!

6 = acidy

5= acidy

4 = acidy

3=  acidy

2 = acidy

1 = REALLY acidy!

and that explains how good our score is and it IS wonderful!!

next is TURBIDITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is MY parameter and so you can expect me to be an expert.(mwwwahhhhahahahahahah!) turbidity pretty much means how clear the water is. our average (without DIRT added to the water!) is 35.2714285714 that is almost PERFECTLY wonderful and perfect but its DEFINITELY acceptable and the fish are ok with it, so we are too. turbidity is the difference between clear and dirty water. that pretty much explains it..... hopefully.

nitrates

What is this year

0.3

What does that mean about our creek

what are nitrates? oooooo brown blood disease methemo goblin something. in 2011-2010 it went waaay up to 2.... nitrates help soil. nitrogen makes up air, like 80 percent of air! so how can we breathe it and..... not get methemogoblin? hmmmm so it goes into the plants and the aminals eat the plants and then they DIE and decompose and thats how the nitrates get into the creek? AHA!!!! we can not get methemo-goblino-diseaso because the bacteria hasnt got the nitrogenyet! how do they get into the water? AHA again!! people do it! pesticides and such! bacteria gets the nit and puts it into the plants so they can use it! pertilizers is aminal waste, right? so the aminals have eated nitrates...... and so their waste is ........NITRATES! oh wait! mogob offects babies mostly.... oh no! blue baby syndrome! cry sad! oh well. the best year was 2008-2009! oooooo! good!

those were my notes for the nitrates presentation

Ammonium

What is this year

2.828 mgl is that bad? the probes apparently dint work mayby. data is wrong!! this is the lowest # that we could find! the probes REALLY dint work.

ammonia. stuff. ammmonia is found in claening supplies it smells bad common ghoushold chemoical. whaen pure, it is really smelly. can speed eutrification? dunnoo..... is not a gas ? colorless liquid. ginny pigs yuck smells like ammonia. at anderson lake algae was all over so so much bacteria used up al the DO so the dogs died. tis not good. bleach is not ammonia. dont mix them.BAAAAAAAD. ammonia is all bad?...useful in the soil......but not in the water.

Who

Flow Rate

What is this year

1.3459 is that good? cubic meters per second. awkward.

What does that mean about our creek

its how fast the stream is going?..... ish how much water is passing by one point at one time.... the graphs are kinda wierd many kinds of low rate.... is the average good or badddd. "dunno"

does bigger propeller make different #s "dunno" the i forget the i forget. the data x area= STUFF! hhhhrmmmmm. dont really know what this is....... if fish can hang out with in this creek the flow is good ........ sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo there WAS fishies there .........soooooooooo........thats goodish?!...........this is an awkward moment. qweshdions noww? AHA!! comments! the end. the no clue. dunno what to saay. the end.

Who

Temperature

What is this year

33.5 water 37 air

What does that mean about our creek

thats is good! different salmon have different temps to be the best health. deep watr takes longr for deeper water to heat up. without the right temp fish will die. oxygen can dissolve in colder water better. if it got to 60 gdecgrees, it would die.in summer they go tho oceans for cooler water, so they never really get used to the HOT water. sockeye is coldre for them to spawn. coho need if its not toocold that EGGS cant have it too hot or cold. waaaaiiiiiiit..... this graphis wrong. sorry! under 50 s gooood! bluegill can tolerate ANYTHING!! dont think theyre from around here..... in the summer low 50s is the highest you wanna get. the end!

so these are all my notes and hopefully you understand them cause i cant. thank you and goodnight!

(if you have any qweshdions, comment an i will comment back)

ok, this should work better.....probably...

AHA! i will try just putting the presentation on this one and thats it!

here is our presentation.WATCH IT!

(pleaseworkpleaseworkpleaseworkpleasework)

this is the pastyear of ph data of chimacum creek our creek got a pretty good score our average was 6.3

this is the past years of chimacum creeks data we also got a pretty good score.

The Average of DO was 9.16 this was a pretty good score.DO stand for dissolved oxygen.some ways to get oxygen in the water is when it is touched so the oxygen from the air compresses in the water.Without DO the fish would die.Or the fish wouldnt have enogh oxygen and the eggs would deform.

PH stands for postove hydrogins. Ph is a balance of posotive hydroxide ions (H+) and negative hydroxide ions(OH-). fish need to have a balance of Alkeline and acid.Thescale goes from 1-14 8 and up ois alkeline and 6 and below is acidic. To have a good PH is to have a balanceof acid and alkeline.Some fish can tolerate bad PH but if we want more non tolerant fish and bugs in our creek we need to balance our PH.

Tempature is very important in our creek. Fish need a good temature because they will omly lay eggs in the right temature. And if salmon dont lay eggs it will affect the whole food chain. Intolerant bugs and fish can take bad tepatures. But there are also very intolerant fish that need good tempatures to survive. The averaage tempature for chimacum creek was 38.2. This is a good tempature.

turbitity determines the clarity of water. Turbitity is caused by plankton,soil erosio,mining etc.the most accurate way to determine turbitiy is to use a turbidimeter. If the water is to cloudy agea grows. If to much algea grows it will take away the oxygen. If there is no oxygen the fish can't breath. The average for turbitity is 22.7. This is a good score.

Nitrates are not good. Nitrates can poision the fish and give them brown blood disease. Nitrates sometimes get into water by farmers fertalizer. Nitrates help water weeds and plankton grow that atract fish. This may inccrease the fish population . But the algae will grow and there will be little oxygen wich will cause fish to die. The average number of nitrates for chimacum creek is 0.3. This is a good score because the best score is 0.0.

Ammonia is used in strong cleaning liquids such as bleach. Ammonia is toxic to fish. When ammonia reaches 0.06 mg/L. Fish like trout and salmon start to die when ammonia levels reach 0.2 mg/L. We didn't get the correct average for ammonia this year but the average for the past years data is .8 wich is an ok result.

my recomendations to keep chimacum creek healthy areto contain fertalizers, and don't litter.

Some of the bugs I saw at chimacum creek are benthic macroinvertebrates wich is good because those are some of the intolerant bugs

thanks for reading i hope you liked it!!

Here is D.O. For 2002-2003

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 04:31 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 87

The D.O. for the past ten years has been very Good:)It makes me feel good that the fish that I eat were healthy and could breath before I came to catch'em.I learned that D.O. is the air that the fish breath.D.O. is made by the water and the Oxygen in the air making contact,then the air dissolves and the oxygen gets sucked into the water and the fish breathe it!

WARNING

This next section contains big words and fonts that your brain might not be able how to handle :)

P.H.

NOTES,

Question Section!

whats the abbreviation for P.H?

Anwser

Positive Hydrogen

.............................................

what do the numbers mean?

Anwser

You cant go to high or too low.

why is the lake light colored?

Anwser

Because it is very acidic.

..............................................

A seven is pure H20.

6.3 Was this years average,Thats pretty good,infact very good thats almost pure water :)

............................................................................................................................................................

Turbidity!!

................................

Notes

......................

Turbitity is water clerity.

The average was 44.7.

..................................................

Nitrates!!

Question section,

What's Nitrates?

Anwser

If you drink too much nitrates than you can get a disease called methemogoblin:(

How do nitrates get in the water?

Anwser

By fertilizers and stuff like that.

The average for nitrates was 0.3.

Ammonia!

Question section,

Whats Ammonia?

Anwser

It is found in many cleaning products.We also dont want it in our water.

the average was 2.8.

.......................................

Flow Rate

Question section,

What is Flow Rate?

Anwser

It is how much water is passing in a certian measerment!

Could different sizes of propellers mean different measurement?

Anwser

Thats a maybe.

The average for it is 1.5934 m3/s

...................................................

Temperture

Question section,

What is temp.

Anwser

It is how hot or cold the air or water is.

What are the different ways for measurement in temp.

Anwser

There are two different ways, celcias and the most common used in Washington is Farenhight.

Colder water=More Dissolved Oxygen

The air temp.Average was 37.0 Farenhight and water was 34.0 harenhight :P

Thanks for reading my notes Smile attack :P

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

:)

Chimucum creek is doing pretty good this year. A lot of the avrges are doing good with the test.

D.O AVRGE IS 8.3 and the pretty good this year. ammonia avrege was 0.06 and that was kinnda good. is could be better. Nitrate avgege was 0.3 and that is not that good for are creek good.Chimucum is doing really good this year. Tempcher avrige was 38.2 and that good for are creek. Turbity avrige 22.7 and that good.

And thanks for reading.

From Mr. G - Please include the unit of measurement for the different parameters. Check into nitrates and see if .3 mg/L is really not that good. And are you sure you got .06 for ammonia? What is ammonia? How does it affect a creek and the fish?

This blog is about how chimacum creek is going.first D.O average this year 8.3.DO is dissolved oxegen if you didn't know.Next is P.H it stands for postive hydren.I don't remberwhat the average is sorry.Next is nitrates nitrigoin is on the air and is a gas.It can cause a sickness called methemogoblin.N2 is 78%of air.Next is turbidity average its in the 30's.plants can die if it there is high turbidity.Next is ammonia average is 2.8.Ammonia can be found in cleaning products.next is flow rate this years average is 1.3459 m3/s.and is measure.it is measured by a prob with a propller.next is temperture this years average is 33.5.It takes longer for deeper water to warm up.

Article posted February 14, 2012 at 04:19 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 54

[LINK] width=400

Epicness.

Saku-chan

Hi peoples!!!! So, I have another science-y thing for you!

Dissolved Oxygen-DO

What is the average DO for this year?

9.16

What does it mean for the creek?

That is pretty good DO.

Chimicum Creek is not in danger of low oxygen levels.

if there is more than 5 mpl of DO in water then fish have plenty of DO. Less than 5 mpl means that they-the fish-won't have enough for more than 24 hours.

Plants in water also produce oxygen.

Dissolved Oxygen happens when oxygen from air touches water.

PH

What is this years average PH?

6.3

What does it mean for the creek?

It means that there isn't a lot of acidity in the creek and that's good!!!!

Any PH above 7 is pure water. Anything below 7 is acidy......If that's even a word. ^.^"

Turbidity

What is this years average turbidity?

Somewhere in the 30's.

What does it mean for the creek?

It's pretty good!

No extra notes ^.^"

Nitrates

What is the this years average nitrates?

0.3

What does it mean for the creek?

It's good.

The farmers in chimicum are doing a good job keeping the nitrates they use in fertilizer away from the creek.

Nitrates aren't THAT good for the creek though they can be good. They help plants grow faster.

Ammonia

2.8/Not Accurate.

What does it mean for the creek?

Umm.....it's not good for the creek but its inaccurate.

Heheh....all the fish would be suffering from gill damage and they would be dying! That wouldn't be good...

Flow Rate

What is this years average Flow Rate?

1.3459 gallons per second.

What does it mean for the creek?

It's pretty good.

Flow rate is how fast water is going in a certain area, and how much water is going by a certain area of a river, creek, or stream.

Temperature

What is this years average temperature?

WATER-33.5 degrees F

AIR-37 degrees F

What does it mean for the creek?

It's good.

How did water temp. Compare to air temp.?

They were almost the same. Water was colder than air. That is good for the creek.

If water temp. in the creek gets higher than 40 degrees F it's really (I'm not being a sheep when I say this) BAAAAAAD.

nanananana.....BLEH!!!!

Soo.......

Voy a trabajar en las otras partes .... esto fue sólo la información.

Sakura-chan

Soo....obviously its not perfect and it's missing information......bleh.....but NicklasS and moi worked hard on it going into the deepest, darkest, most terrifingly scienc-y parts of our head-sheds to use this info.

Bleh....science eats mai soul.

Sakura-chan

Name ____Nicklas S._______________________________Date ____2-24-12_______________

How is Chimacum Creek doing?

Based on all the data you’ve looked at here what is your conclusion about how Chimacum Creek is doing? (Use examples from the data to explain what you mean and why you think so. This is NOT the place for opinion; you must have evidence to support your conclusion.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I come to the conclusion, taking out the suspected false information its seems to be good, the levels are enough to sustain fish, keep the algea low, enough to keep pollution intolerant microinvertibrates alive, so over all it does look healthy.

My parameter of water is FLOW RATE. Flow rate is the measurement of movement through a body of water. But the water comes from rain. It starts at a elevated point then goes downhill into the bodies of water (creeks and streams).

But the DO, pH, Turbitity, Nitrates, Ammonium, Flow Rate, and Temperature averages equalled a understandable conclussion that it Chimacum Creek has sustainable levels. If I could give some constructive criticism and advice to the people in the area it would be that the are doing a good job keeping the fertilizers out the creek and to keep up the good work!

-N1CK145

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 04:25 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 77

chiucum (spelled Chimacum) creek is doing well for all the tests like PH OMMONIA (spelled Ammonia) NITRATES TEMITURER (spelled Temperature) DO TERBITITY (spelled Turbidity) FLOW RATE THE AVREGE SCORE FOR PH IS 6.3. OMMONIAS SCORE WAS 2.8 don't forget mg/L. NITRATESS SCORE IS 78 PERCENT OF AIR (not exactly because 78% of the air is nitrogen, nitrates is completely different and there was only .3 mg/L in our creek). TEMPITURES SCORE IS 33.5 don't forget degrees F. DO'S SCORE IS 8.3 don't forget mg/L. TERBITITYS SCORE IS IN THE 30'S don't forget NTU's. FLOW RATES SCORE IS 1.3459 M3/S

From Mr. G - What is your recommendation for people to do to take care of our watershed, creek, and fish? And will you be adding pictures and your graphs?

DO: what are these years average DO levels:

8.125.

The oxygen in the air makes contact with water to make dissolved oxygen (do). Chimacum creek has been doing well even at a low of about 6 ppm.

PH: the average is 6.3 ph for this year.

7 is pure water 1-6 is acidic 8-14 is alkaline. When base and acid come together it makes is a balance. Ph stands for positive hydrogen. Fish like 6.5-7.

Turbitity: the average is in the 30’ of ntu’s. n.t.u stands for nephelometric turbitity units somebody might ask what turbitity is well turbitity is the difference between clear water and dirty water

Nitrogen (this is my perrmater): nitrates are important because they help the soil  and water and creatures and everything(about this).the average for this year in nitrates is 0.3 this is good because fish die in to high of nitrate and so will people mostly babys because to much nitrates can cause brown blood disease or blue baby syndrome(same thing) or Methogloblin (also the same thing).

Ammonia: This years average ammonia is 1.6. this is good because it wont kill the fish. Ammonia is very dangeros chemical thing. Ammonia can be found in many cleaning supplies. Pure Ammonia is a very very smelly colorless liquid. Eutrophication is a thing that is very bad. A thing you do not want to do is mix ammonia and bleach ( it can kill you)

Flow rate: you x length x width (in a river) to get cubic meters per second (if using that measurement) . flow rate can be important because if fish can not lay there eggs then they will die out. The average for  flow rate is 1.5934 m3/s (??????)

Temperature: water that is shallow takes shorter to warm up than deep. This years average water temp is 33.5 farenhite. The airs average is 37.5 farenhite. One of the highest temp max for fish is 97º farenhite where the fish will die L.

these are the temperatures of chimacum creek for the past year.

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 04:33 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 52

For the past two weeks we have been presenting what our "job" was. What thats means is at the beginning of the year we were split up into groups. All of our jobs were something we gould test in Chimacum creek. There was nitrates, ammonia, P.H. (posotive hydrogen)  flow rate, D.O. (which is disolved oxygen) and tempeature. In our classroom we have been presentating to the class what our job is and what it means. I learned soooo much!

Over all I think chimacum creek did fantastic. Now heres my proof. With the bugs in our creek we got 21 points. Now that could be better but overall that isnt that bad of a score.

Our average for water temperature was 33.5 degrees f. That is a pretty good average for Chimacum creek. At this temperature the salmon and other life is comfortable and algae wont over grow. Temperature is very important because without a temperature range eventually everything would die. 

The average for P.H. (posotive hydrogen) was 6.3. This average for the creek is pretty good. P.H. is a balance of positive hydrogen ions and negative hydroxide ions. It tells how actitic the water is. Fish need a balance of alkaline and acid.

D.O. is  dissolved oxygen. Our average is 9.16mg/L. This average is fantastic for our creek. It is very comfortable for the fish. Without dissolved oxygen the fish wouldnt live. Dissolved oxygen is the only soure of oxygen they have.

For ammonia the average was 2.828 mg/L. Now if that was true that would be very bad. But we believe that we had a probe that did not work. So we dont know what the average was but we know it  for sure wasnt 2.828mg/L. Ammonia is a chemical that is used in cleaning agents. it is colorless and will kill the fish. The average for nitrates was 0.3. That is really good!

Nitrates is in fertilizers. Our average was 0.38mg/L. For our creek 0.38mg/L is very good. This means that the farmers this year did an outstanding job!

Our average for flow rate was 1.3459 cubic meters per secnd. This is very good for the salmon. Flow rate is the amount and speed of the water that passes by per second.

Overall Chimacum creek is pretty healthy. Everything was about where it should be.

RECCOMENDATIONS TO KEEP THE REEK CLEAN: 1. Dont litter. 2. Keep your gutters and drains clean because when garbage and other stuff goes down gutters and drains it ends up in lakes and rivers and oceans. 3.Keep fertalizers and other products away from the creek.

Article posted February 8, 2012 at 07:45 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 92

Check my pH chart out

Article posted February 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM GMT • comment (19) • Reads 108

Under your graph you will write your caption explaining to the world what you did and what this data means.

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM GMT • comment (54) • Reads 90

2011 results for pH

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 04:09 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 109

In nitrates that there is a desese called methaglobinemia that makes it harder to breath babys are most effected and the yearly avrage is 0.3.in flo rate it is mesred by a probe and it tells how much water is passing by and year avreg is 1.3459 qube meters per second.in temp the yearly avrage is 33.5. The colder the water is mor disoved oxegen sockeye. Is coferbal in 1.5.

2011 results for pH

.

Brown blood disese cuts off your oxigyne.

1 & o are ok but 4 & 6 are bad.

this years avrage is 0.3 and its not a bad avrage.

animals do not need nitrates.

some plants have spical roots.

there is 75% of nitrates in our aera.

bactiera does alot of good stuff for our plannet .

methmagoblin is a terrible disese that can hurt or kill you.

the best years that chimacum creeks avrage has had is 2008-2009.

Water temptures are verry important because if it gets just a tad to hot alegy will grow and fish will die if it gets just a tad to cold fish will also die.

tempture is important because it governs the kinds of aqutic life that lives in the streams.

I have seen 7 presentations informing me on how each part of the Chimacum Creek is doing. I came to the conclusion that Chimacum Creek is doing good.I have come to this conclusion because of the data I received from my classmates.

First I learned that the yearly average for D.O. is 9.16 mpl (milligrams per liter). This is an extremely good level for our creek.

Next I learned about the pH level for this year is 6.3. pH is positive hydrogen. pH measures the acidic level in the water. Since a 7 on the pH scale is pure water, 6.3 is a pretty good level for our creek. Above a 7 on the pH scale is more alkaline water. Below a 7 is more acidic water.

Enough about that, next I learned about the turbidity average. Which is about 35.3 NTUs(Nephelometric Turbidity

Units). This is a pretty good level for our creek. Turbidity is the amount of dirt suspended in water. Under 25 NTUs is a good

level for a creek. 25-100 is an acceptable amount for our

creek. And above 100 is a bad level for our creek. So our

creek has a pretty good turbidity level.

Next I learned about nitrates. The yearly average for 'nitrates is 0.3. The recommended level for fish is 0.04, but 0.3 is still pretty good. Nitrates start out as nitrites. Nitrogen starts in the air and then goes into the soil. Then animals eat the plants and when the animals decompose the nitrates go back into the air.Drinking water with a large number of nitrates can cause methemologoblin. Which means you can't transfer oxygen. This, as you can probably guess, is a bad thing. The people in most danger of this are babies. Which is wihy it is commonly known as blue-baby syndrome.

Next I learned about ammonia. This years ammonia average is 2.8 mpl ( milligrams per liter). This however is not an accurate measurement. Ammonia is a strong, colorless, liquid, commonly found in cleaning supplies. Ammonia has a strong smell. Pure ammonia can speed up eutrophication. Levels really close to 2.0 are okay. Yet 2.8 is not the best amount for our creek. Still, not to worry,this is not an accurate measurement. So, I can't say if this good or bad for the creek.

Now to flow rate. This years flow rate

average is 1.3(m3sl).

Flow rate is the amount of water flowing over one point. This years flow rate average is actually pretty good.

Now for temperature. I'm pretty sure you already know what temperature is. But in case you don't... Temperature is how warm the water is. This years average temperature is 33.5. This is quite a good level for fish of all types. If water is to cold alge will die. If it gets to warm fish will die. At 60 degrees farenheit fish die.

Well I am sure that at least 6 out of 7 parameters are having a somewhat positive affect on the creek. So I can conclude that Chimacum Creek is doing very good. YAY=http://

Fishes are safe. We are safe. Yippie. Okay.... Bye.