Super Awesome Blog Of Awesome

For our cockroach experiments we tested navigation and common sense. Our claim was that the cockroach would be able to navigate through the maze to find their own food. We were correct because all the times tested the cockroach had a couple times of error but eventually made it through the maze to the lettuce. We don't really have much for evidence but all the times we started over the maze the roach made it to the end. so there fore cockroaches can maneuver mazes easily with only slight error.

For those of you who dont know Anthropomorphism means to ascribe human attributes to a plant or animal. So pretty much to personify something.

We were asked about our snail and roach experiments and how we personified them through our experiments.

With our snail experiments we did selective choice in taste and sight. they got to choose which foods they wanted,like people do.

For our roaches we did navigation and common sense by placing it in a maze and seeing how long it took it to maneuver through it. Which shows human common sense.

The Madagascar hissing cockroach or Gromphadorhina Portentosa is one of the largest species of cockroach growing up to 5-7.5 inches by maturity. They can be found in the wild in rotting logs on the island of Madagascar off the African coast. These roaches are wingless unlike the others and have the ability to climb smooth glass. You can distinguish males from females by their antennae which is bushier on males, males also have horns on their pronotum. In captivity they live roughly 5 years and enjoy veggies and high protein pellets like dog food. The hissing sound is produced by their ability to force gas through their breathing pores.They only hiss when disturbed,fighting,or attracting females.

These roaches have been used in several t.v. shows including americas next top model where the ladies walked decorated roaches on leashes down a runway.

I know that cockroaches like eating veggies and fruit, they like to invade messy kitchens and are difficult to rid yourself of.

They can survive nuclear war missiles and having their head chopped off.

I want to know how the can survive in such terrible conditions and why they enjoy eating those certain foods. Maybe even how long they have existed on this earth.

I went on the 8th grade odyssey trip and had a great time learning about the ins and outs of our backyard.

I don't really have a favorite destination but I really liked salt creek because of all the amazing picture oppurtunitys, the 9 mile hike was the hardest thing and I had terribl leg pain for several days. But it was worth seeing everything and cleaning up tsunami wreckage off of the beach. I overall loved odyssey and it was a great learning experience.

Our experiment is to see what foods snails like bets out of strawberrys,lettuce,tomato,and carrot. We got this idea from mr.g pretty much.

Snails like soft fleshy fruits and softer veggies but they dont like hard to eat foods like carrots. This is mostly because they are veggies that they cannot access due to them being underground. My evidence is that when put into food choosing trials the snails went for the fleshier foods like strawberrys or soft veggies like lettuce in trials of these sorts they almost ALWAYS chose lettuce or strawberrys. Because of this we reason that if you plant theses kind of food you are almost certain to attract snails. Which is good you think their cute but bad if you don't want half eaten lettuce.

Our inaacuracy is that we didn't really have much time to experiment, we tried to give the snails a natural environment and they ended up eating the grass in the tub, and I don't feel like I thought through our experiment enough.

Article posted May 1, 2012 at 04:55 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 35

The few things I know about snails is that the 'slime' is mucus, their eyes are also retractable. They have hundreds of tiny teeth used to much through grass and others plants. Good thing they are herbivores. I also know that snails like to hibernate during colder times like bears do.

I want to know about the different types of food they enjoy and how long they might live in a closed environment.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 05:11 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 50

We learned that you can grow Radishes in a bag that will be ready to transplant in as little as two weeks, we also learned that we had a water cycle going and about how greenhouses work.

Our claim is that you can grow radishes just as easily in a bag as you can in soil.

The evidence wew have are a 12 day series of pictures drawn so we could look back and observe the plants growth. We also had evidence of the live plants but they died because they got forgotten.

Our easoning is that our seeds grew just as well in the time allotted as they would have grown in soil and would have produced radishes in as much as 2 months probably less.

I also researched the water cycle so we could see how the water was moving in the bag.

Bibliography: Glencoe science Life science text book published by McGraw company's

And the Merium Webster college dictionary.

I live in Quilcene, WA next to the big Quilcene river where once a year drunken hill Billy's fish to their hearts content.

I got to chimacum middle school (high school soon)?

And that's all I'm sayin about my location.

My lunch was:

Drink: Fiji water ( actually from Fiji )

Bread: home made roll

Protein: chicken

2nd protein: lettuce

Fruit/ veggie: buleberrys

Snack: craisens

My whole lunch took a total of 8745.7 miles to get to my house, and put 32359.09 pounds of carbon into the atmosphere.

The question that is asked is: Explain why offspring that result from sexual reproduction are likely to have more diverse characteristics than offspring that result from asexual reproduction.

My explanation is that when you sexually reproduce you are mixing two sets of chromosomes together, it's like play dough kind of where pink is the mom and blue is the dad, when they sexually reproduce it's like the two play doughs are mixing together and that makes you a weird mix of pink and blue.

When something asexually reproduces it means it is creating another being out of itself like taking some red play dough ( which is the asexual creature) and taking some of the dough out of it leaving a child and a parent that look exactly the same.

Article posted February 24, 2012 at 06:26 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 39

This is what my kids could look like when me and hunter get married :p

The picture is pretty much explanitory it shows the different things that could have happened and when chosen by random what did happen.

A. Our question was which place is the dirtiest and I concluded that the keyboard was the dirtiest, if you think otherwise live a comment below.

E. The evidence for my conclusion is that the petri dish is covered with hundreds of colony's of bacteria the mouth also had quite a lot of bacteria I don't think there was as much as the keyboard.

I. The first thing I swabbed I forgot to do the zigzag motion and that was the urinal we also forgot to run it through water so we kinda messed up there, I also accidentally opened the lid too long so some of it got contaminated.

O. I observed that some parts were contaminated and the places that I had expected to have the most bacteria had actually the least.

U. I think that we muffed up a lot and we could do better if we did it again and actually remembered to moisten the q-tip and swab it correctly.

Y. Why was there little or no bacteria in a used urinal?

Article posted February 3, 2012 at 06:33 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 63

This is the caps lock button on the g8 computer. This is 48 hours after contact.

This is a swab of a urinal which surprisingly has no bacteria. This is 48 hours after contact.

This is pearls mouth. 48 hours after contact.

This was a tampon box that had one used tampon in it. 48 hours after contact.

We decided that the keyboard hd the most bacteria because it had the most colonys of bacteria on it, and pearls mouth came in 2nd place for that title.

Cells growth refers to the population of a number of cells, the population grows by the cells using mitosis, mitosis happens when the inside of the cell copies the chromosomes and then divides itself into two separate cells. Which is how they multiply.

Now let's say that you cut your finger on a cheese grater, you have probably damages a few cells. but how does this get better? Well most cells don't repair themselves they use lysosomes to kill themselves and the the body makes new cells by copying the chromosomes in the cell and the splits the apart making two similar cells. Which then eventually fixes the cut.

Meiosis is when two organisms reproduce and two cells meet and make a copy of itself, the cell then has four pairs of different pieces of each organism, then the cells begin to split and multiply with a stage that is similar to mitosis, then you have an organism.

The difference between mitosis and meiosis is that mitosis is when a cell can multiply without sexual reproduction, and meiosis is when you take two cells which will sexually reproduce and make a copy of the two.

Article posted January 3, 2012 at 06:25 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 53

We are made up of millions of animal cells, and s tree is made up of millions of plant cells.

You may be surprised how few differences there are between us and a tree, and how those differences and so crucial to whether or not we are a plant.

Animal cells don't have a thick cell wall surrounding them like plant cells do, all the animal cells have are a thin membrane. Animal cells also have little circles called Lysosome inside them, although plant cells have little circles in them as well they are called Amyloplast and those are different I believe.

Plant cells have much larger Vacuoles than a animal cell and have chloroplast in them too so it make it different structure, as well does the fact that plant cells are square and animal cells are circular.

In many more way they are the same, they all are filled with cytoplasm have one centrosome, a rough ER and a smooth ER, one nucleus with a nucleolus and was surrounded by a nuclear membrane.

Each also has several mitochondria's, some ribosomes, and one Golgi body.

Our cells have much more in common with plants than not, so they are technically like our brothers and sisters.

Our video for our paramecium observation

For the past few weeks our science class has been using microscopes, when using a microscope you have a focal plane which is the space you can see through the microscope lens to observe the slide, when you are observing the slide you have to focus the lens so you can see it clearly through microscope no matter what magnification.

When you magnify something you must always remember that every number on the microscope is times' by ten, for example 10x would be 100 times magnification on a microscope.

When observing a slide there are two different kind of mounts you can make on a slide. A wet mount and a dry mount.

A dry mount is when the slide has no water on it, a wet mount is when the slide has water on it.

Another thing you must always remember is when you move something under the microscope it always goes the opposite of the direction you move it.

And that is how you operate a microscope well.

When we did our experiment to see which environment they grew best in, we concluded that the shrimp grew best in tap water and sugar water.

We believe this because everyday we checked the shrimp using a telescope and the two with the most cases of hatched shrimp and the most shrimp moving around were those two.

One of the ways we had error during this experiment was when we didn't have an accurate way of measuring the shrimp so some had more or less than other tubes.

While doing this I observed that the shrimp in the sugar water tube tended to float around in the center of the tube while in the others they all went around the bottom, and they all tended to group together.

I under stood why the shrimp liked to be together because it is a small fishes instinct to group together so that they were bigger appearing so predators dont attack them.

Why did the shrimp grow best in tap water with CHLORINE in it, wouldn't they die? Or sugar water opposed to salt water their natural environment they are born to live in.

In the 8the grade we have been doing lab work, afterwards we were asked to answer the following questions:

1, How does the environment affect organisms?

2, Why did the living organisms appear non living?

Well for 1, our team got liquid 1which is salt water, (sorry if I ruined a surprise), and well to be blunt...everything died.

For some weird reason even our brine/shrimp fetuses didn't hatch...and aren't they suppose to like salt water? Not to mention out seeds didn't grow and out yeast did nothing...not even our orbies grew sadly.

For number 2 it was because in the beginning the living things were in a dormant state, the seeds were inactive as were the shrimp eggs and the yeast.

Well I know there are some people out there who are lonely and need to talk to SOMETHING,but if you talk to a Teddy bear or a rock people will think that you are crazy....why you may ask?

Well that's because a inanimate object is'nt living.

But how can you tell when something is living?

Well living things need to be able to consume food for energy,and they need to help their enviroment in some way.

Trees for example consume carbon and emit oxygen,eating and help their environment. Living things can reproduce or in other words make more of them,trees have saplings and cats have kittens,no matter what kind of being it is, if it's living it has baby's and babies grow to the adult size, so living things grow too.

And since all living things are born all living things must die eventually whether it's in s hundred years or in thirty all things living die.

So in conclusion all living things; eat, create, reproduce, grow,and die. That is how you can tell if your Teddy bear is living.

It's invisible and it's dangerous,it could steal our oxygen and drown our entire world, pushes arctic life to the verge of extinction.

No it's not some super villain looking to ruin our lives.

It's far worse than that.

It's name is.....GLOBAL WARMING.

Ok so it doesn't sound very scary but it is.

Global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt,and if it melts completely our oceans would rise immensely,drowning all life on the coast which means we would die along with all the millions of acres of trees and other plant life that gives anyone who hasn't drowned yet oxygen.And when there are less trees there is less air for us survivors and www would eventually run out of air and suffocate or be forced to wear gas masks because of the high levels of carbon.

And don't even get me started on the poor little animals that would die by the thousands from no oxygen and drown because some are to stupid and won't leave their clearly dangerously flooded homes. And no ice caps means the only penguins and polar bears you'll find are the ones in the zoo, no wild animals of those types will effect the ecosystem immensely. Scared? Wondering what on earth you could do to help? We need to make More money for research into non earth damaging biofuels, increase efficiency in appliances and unplug stuff and turn off lights when not in use, not throwing our trash around carelessly is another start and if cars had either cleaner emissions or we increased the mileage on them we could help our planet a lot.

And did you know there is a ball of garbage in the ocean the size of Texas....think of that the next time you drop your trash.

Article posted September 29, 2011 at 06:21 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 97

1.I love star wars,i also love just about any kind of sci-fi movie and I love horror movie too.

2.I love ice cream and if it didnt make me fat I would eat it all day.

3.I live on my x-box 360 playing GTA, Black Ops, and Halo.

4.I read about as much as the average college student.

5.Iam obsessed with guitar music...well mostly music in general,I guess you could refer to me as a music nerd because my compeuter has enough music on it to start a second i-tunes.

6.I enjoy having light saber and raygun battless by the fountain in port townsend.

7.I'm teaching my self to play the piano and the guitar and I play the clarinet in the middle school band.

Article posted September 29, 2011 at 06:07 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 67

The north pole is an ocean sized piece of ice, where the temperatures drop so low if you spit you can hear it crackle into ice before it reaches solid ground. When it becomes summer in the southern parts of the Arctic Circle the sun melts away snow and ice to reveal land that during the short summer season is composed of mosses, shrubs, and lichens. Of which the herbivores eat.

The Herbivores include hares, lemmings, and caribou, and in turn the carnivores, which include wolves, bears, and foxes, eat the herbivores.

The plankton in the oceans support a large diversity of the eco-system, this includes the Grey Whales (which are baleen whales) eating habits, these whales also eat crustaceans in the arctic seas.

Grey Whales have the longest migration of any animal, they go on a 14,000-mile journey that takes 2-3 months and begins in their breeding lagoons in Baha California, Mexico.

The largest carnivore on land would be the polar bear, they are also the largest of the bear species. A male grows up to 10 feet tall and can weigh 1700 pounds, a female weighs about half that. Scientists estimate there are about 25,000 left and 60% live in the Canadian arctic.

Polar bears have a special adaptation that allows them to survive the harsh conditions of the arctic, their hair is translucent and hallow which contains air that insulates the bear, its skin is dark and absorbs the suns energy, the bears small ears and tail reduce heat loss.

The bears also have a layer of blubber that gives them buoyancy in water and also helps them stay insulated to keep out the cold, these bears are so insulated that sometimes the only heat that shows up on heat radar is their noses. Their paws are especially adapted to the arctic,the front paws are large to better propel them in water and the back are used to help them steer,the pads are also rought to keep them from slipping on the ice and broad to use like a snow shoe in the snow. Most polar bears eat almost anything but their diet consists mainly of seals,the way they hunt them is they wait at their breathing holes in the ice and attack them when they come up for air.

Vocabulary:

Phytoplankton,usually microscopic,photosynthectic organisms mot algae and diotoms found in water.

I like to party