Copyright (c) 2014 by Speedy Spike Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Speedy Spike -- Blogmeister

2011-2012

All the students in room 15 teach and learn from each other. The challenges that are achieved are limited only by the restrictions of their own minds!

by Speedy Spike

teacher: Michael La Marr

Have you ever heard of the Fire of 1852 in Sacramento? You haven’t!? Well then, I’ll tell you some things about it. It’s actually quite interesting.

One of the only buildings to survive the fire was the Lady Adams. It survived the fire because it had shutters, which were made of metal. Another reason why the Lady Adams survived the fire was because it wasn’t made out of wood, which is the main reason. Another reason is the walls were three layers thick. Most of the buildings, at that time, were made out of wood and wood burns easily. In the 1800’s there were oil lamps along the street and that’s probably what caused the fire. Ninety percent of the town was wiped out. Those are interesting facts about the fire of 1852

Here are some poems I thought of from Westminster Woods. ENJOY!

Redwoods

Like green paper falling from the sky

Like a tower way taller than me

Like skewers sticking out of a can

Like a giant about to crush me

Like a beanstalk waiting for me to climb

Like a telephone pole reaching for the sky

Like a huge tower reaching for the clouds

Watersheds

Wet, noisy, splashing

Watersheds

Cabins

Roomy, peaceful

Warming, quieting, sleeping

One peaceful room

A small building for sleeping

I think the author, Marden Dahlstedt, did a fantastic job writing The Terrible Wave. I think she is very descriptive in writing The Terrible Wave. I think a descriptive part is when the author wrote, “ . . . Stuff . . . has piled up there – it looks a mile high . . . ”. I think that sentence is descriptive because the debris really wasn’t a mile high. I think another descriptive part is when the author wrote about the wave,“ At first all she could see was a sinister black mist. It rolled toward the house like billowing smoke.” I think there is descriptive writing in every chapter. I think a really descriptive part is what the author said when the group was in a school. She wrote, “ Tom had drifted off down the hallway of the schoolhouse to join a group of men, melting away with only a vague farewell.’’ I think Marden Dahlstedt is really good at making something descriptive. Marden Dahlstedt makes the Johnstown flood sound like the most dramatic disaster. I love Marden Dahlstedt’s writing style. Out of all the books I’ve read, The Terrible Wave is my favorite book so far for being action packed and descriptive.

Article posted December 15, 2011 at 08:49 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 78

I think the most important event in California’s history is when the Native Americans came to California about 9,000 years ago. I think that was the most important event in California’s history because the Native Americans were the first people in California. I also think that was the most important event because were one of the first people in America. The Native Americans came to America on a bridge of ice connecting Russia to Alaska. The Native Americans walked from Alaska to California to hunt for food. The Native Americans scattered all over the place.