Copyright (c) 2014 by Redhot Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Redhot -- Blogmeister

Redhot's Blog

2011-2012

All the students in room 15 teach and learn from each other. The challenges that are achieved are limited only by the restrictions of their own minds!

by Redhot

teacher: Michael La Marr

~Old Sacramento’s Semi Crazy Firefighters~

You may have heard some crazy stories about what happened in Sacramento hundreds of years ago, but I kind of doubt that you’ve heard this one.

Sacramento used to be built almost entirely out of wood. Wood, as you know, burns easily. Many fires occurred. All of the firefighters were volunteers. Every time there was a fire, the newspaper reporters would come and make a news article about the firefighters and their braveness. More and more people wanted to be in the Sacramento Bee, so they made other fire departments. That was where things started to get crazy.

In my opinion, the firefighters were very self absorbed. Once, there was a fire and the two fire trucks met on a bridge. They wouldn’t let the other pass and the building burned! Also, a school was on fire and the two companies got to the fire at the same time; I bet you can imagine the results of that! They argued and argued about who got there first. By the time they finished, the school was burned to the ground.

Still greedy and hungry for fame, the firefighters were told to leave. The county hired real firefighters to work and the city was relieved. You see, the firefighters back in the 1860’s really were semi crazy!

Hi! My class and I went to Westminster Woods a couple of weeks ago. This is some poetry I wrote about my trip. I hope you like it!

Banana Slug

Ugly, romantic

Crawling, decomposing, slithering

Snail, creature, sugar, cinnamon

Baking, craving, crumbling

Delicious, sweet

Coffee Cake

Glow Worms

Like stars in the sky

Like tiny versions of the sun

Like floating dots on an unlighted path

Like a firefly that lives in the dirt

Like sparks against a black back drop

Like miniature torches guiding the way up the dark trail

Like glitter all over a blank canvas

Like streetlights on an empty street

Ocean

Wide, vast, uncontrollable, beautiful, wild

Ocean

Waves

Majestic, loud,

Crashing, splashing, rolling

Wind pushing water across the ocean

Humongous

The Campfire

A blazing fire behind a man dressed as a banana slug

My friends laughing like crazy

Burning wood and fresh air mixing

Rough carpet against my hands

Nothing in the world could wreck the moment

My Opinion of The Terrible Wave

I think that The Terrible Wave’s author, Marden Dahlstedt, did a great job with this book. She included every detail of every moment. I liked it when she was writing about Megan being in the house when the wave hit. She wrote, “After what seemed like a lifetime in the thunderous blackness, Megan lifted her head. Far above her she could see a glimmer of dirty gray light.” Right after that she wrote something else I also thought had very good description. “She wasn’t even thinking now. Painfully she began to crawl toward the light…” I think that that line shows how desperate Megan actually was. Megan has, so far in the book, been very dignified and despises, more than others, the idea of looking pitiful.

I have a couple of favorite phrases from the book. One of my favorite descriptions that Marden Dahlstedt wrote is, “ To her astonishment she found herself looking directly into a human face!” The reason that’s one of my favorite sentences is because I imagine seeing all of this debris and no sign of life and then suddenly a human face! One of my other favorites is “Hang on,” Brian cried to Megan. With a heave he pushed against the mattress and flung himself headlong onto the wagon, dragging Megan like a pack on his back. The force of the leap had knocked the old man flat, and for a moment the three of them lay in a tangled, sodden heap.” The reason I call that sentence one of my favorites is because, one, it’s funny and, two, it has very good description, that is at least at the end of the phrase . Those are all reasons why I think the author, Marden Dahlstedt, wrote good descriptions.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 06:25 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 332

California’s History

In my opinion all of the fights with the Californios were the most important event in California’s history. Californios were Mexican men who lived in California while it was part of Mexico. The Californios were both Mexican soldiers and sort of policemen. The fights the United States had with Mexicans were extremely important and helped our state progress.

The fights against the Mexicans were important to California’s history. The reason I think this is because they helped the United States obtain California. They helped because the Mexicans, after a while, got scared of the American soldiers and gave up. The reason many Mexicans got so scared of the Americans was because they had more weapons, soldiers, and ammunition. It’s true that they were at war, but the United States Army was stronger and dominated the Mexicans. Once that happened, the Americans and Mexicans made the Treaty of Guadalupe. The treaty stated that the United States would receive California if the paid the Mexican government $15 million 525,000 square miles. I think that the fights against the Californios helped our state progress.

Hi! The first thing you should know about me is that I'm a ten year old girl. My favorite book is Catching Fire (yeah Hunger Games!). My favorite color is, definetly, purple! And, in my free time I LOVE to swim!