Copyright (c) 2014 by Giants Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Giants -- Blogmeister

Blogs Of AWESOMENESS

2011-2012

All the students in room 15 teach and learn from each other. The challenges that are achieved are limited only by the restrictions of their own minds!

by Giants

teacher: Michael La Marr

Title: Old Sacramento (04/22/12)
Description: Fourth graders! We just had a field trip on Friday, April 20, where you heard stories about Sacramento's past. Some of the stories were pretty incredible, some were humorous, and some were kind of sad.

You recorded information about the tour on your question sheet. Now it's your turn to tell others about a story you heard in Old Sacramento. Your task is to select one of the stories you heard and retell it here. Explain the story fully and completely; it is likely that people who read your BLOG will have no background information about your story. Therefore, you have to build the background and you have to tell the story. Pick a good one that you want to share with everyone.

As always, check your spelling and conventions. Try to be published in no more than two tries. In order to do that, you will need to be thorough, accurate and entertaining in the way you tell your story!

The people who lived in Sacramento were almost always in danger. These disasters were floods and fires.

Since Sacramento was near the river, and on the same level, floods were not rare. In fact they were common. When it rained, the water would overflow, and it would work its way through the town. The first few times it happened, they were worried, but soon enough, they became used to it, although they were still scared. This problem was fixed by “raising the city.” I know what you’re thinking, “THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE!” Almost everyone thought that, when the proclamation was announced, except for the planners. But they worked hard, and sure enough, the city was raised 12 feet, but it took 14 years to do this task, and it was successful.

This fixed the problem because the water rushing through the town couldn’t get up hill. Sacramento is now a “Flood Free Town.” Sacramento is declared “safe!”

In the 1840’s and 50’s, Old Sacramento was extremely prone to floods and disease, such as cholera. In 1850, there was a cholera outbreak that wiped out almost the entire population of Sacramento! Surprisingly, many of the doctors did not flee. All of them stayed behind and some of them died.

In the 1850’s, there were many horrible floods that created the need to raise the city. When the workers were done, most of the city had been raised a total of twelve feet. Then came the great flood of 1862. In one hospital, some of the patients were unable to be saved, because the city had not yet been raised, and their beds could not be moved to a higher story. During the same flood, the governor had to take a boat into his mansion to the second story because the first was under water. In the end, a few levees were constructed to protect the city from floods, and were successful for a little while, but had to be built higher in order to protect the city from natural disaster.

The raising the city and the levees did prove to protect the city, but had they not, what would have happened? One thing that could have occurred was that the flood would have the entire city under water, and almost the whole population would perish. Although this was possible at the time, but did not happen due to experience and the brains of people.

By,

EZD

After going to Old Sacramento for a day, I heard a lot of stories, from vigilantes to plagues. One of these is about a riverboat being turned into a prison for a small amount of time. It is filled with twists and turns of plot and setting, but overall occurs in the town that was full of chaos at the time. Because of the gold rush, a lot of people came to Sacramento for some color. The sailors of the riverboats that were used to get there, however, did not always tend to their boats after arrival. People would start to scrap the boats to make houses, hotels, or anything else needed because of the growing population. But, of course, the sailors were too busy living their new life in California to notice. All of this was very good for the economy, even if it did sometimes eventually annoy the sailors. In 1855, someone had the great idea to turn the La Grange riverboat into a floating prison. Knowing that just putting the prisoners on the boat wouldn’t be enough, it was decided that they would each wear an anchor on their leg so any attempts in swimming back to land would result in drowning. This seemed like a great idea at the time, and the matter was put to rest. All had turned out very well with the boat until it was betrayed by gravity and began to sink during a storm. The people of Old Sacramento were not going to let the prisoners die at any rate, so they were saved, but the fate of the La Grange lay at the bottom of the river. The boat was there for a while until it was raised and turned into scrap. The wood gained by this was used to make furniture during the wood shortage in Sacramento in the 1850s. We weren’t able to connect with the East at the time, which caused a lot of problems like this, but how this was fixed is a whole other story. To this day, the restored Delta King, another riverboat, sits in the docks of the rebuilt or restored town of Old Sacramento, just like the La Grange once did, along with so many other wonders of the city that was once full of chaos, but is now toured by people of all ages.

Article posted May 3, 2012 at 06:43 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 45

In Old Sacramento, on a field trip, I heard many unique stories. They were all interesting. Some were about successes of Sacramento, but most were about the failures and improvements that needed to be made. Transportation and communication needed improvement. Fires and floods caused regular problems. Disease had also struck Sacramento. There were many problems that needed to be solved and quickly for they were providing danger. All the problems were interesting, but the issue of communication interested me the most.

They needed to know how to get news to Sacramento in less than 20-25 days, the speed a stagecoach could deliver mail, so that Sacramento was aware of everything going on in the country. Established for this purpose was the Pony Express. A rider with a horse and mail would ride for about ten miles when a stop came. At the stop the rider would get on another horse and continue his journey on a different horse. This would give the previous horse a chance to rest before traveling again. It only took about two minutes for a rider to get off one horse and on to another. Every seventy miles there would be a home stop where the rider would be able to eat and sleep after a tiring journey. Then the rider would continue his journey. This system went all the way from St. Joseph to Sacramento. It took about ten days for mail to be delivered.

There were specifications that the Pony Express set for those wishing to ride the horses to deliver mail. One had to be an orphan under the age of eighteen, or at least it was preferred. This was because the Pony Express did not want parents to grieve the death of their child if they had been killed delivering mail. People may have been killed or severely injured carrying mail, as there were unfriendly Native Americans on the route.

Pony Bob Haslam was traveling at a tremendous speed giving California the news of Abraham Lincoln’s inaugural address so that California could decide whether they wanted to stay with the North in the Civil War. Some Native Americans on his route were unhappy that someone unknown to them was in their territory. He was struck with an arrow in his jaw. His jaw broke, but Pony Bob was determined to get the message, vital to California, across. He kept going with Native Americans still shooting at him. One arrow hit his shoulder and stuck. Pony Bob continued with a bleeding shoulder and a broken jaw. When he reached his next station he got a rag to hold up to his jaw, and someone dug the arrow out of his shoulder. Now he was ready to go, and he did not delay the start of the next leg of his journey. The message was delivered in seven days. This was the fastest Pony Express journey ever. California heard the inaugural address and decided that hey would definitely fight for the north.

The Pony Express was losing money. It cost 10 dollars per ounce of mail that one wished to be delivered, an expensive amount, but the Pony Express were still not profiting. The Pony Express was helpful yet had a few flaws. First of all, the Pony Express didn’t help with transportation. No people could travel using the Pony Express. It took ten days, which was fast, but not the fastest it could be to communicate cross-country. Finally the telegraph was invented. It could get news across the country in a flash. It took a matter of minutes. The Pony Express was a big improvement in communication, but this was bigger. This was huge. One single day after the telegraph was in business, the Pony Express was out of business. The Pony Express, after all their achievements, was over. The telegraph also did not solve the problem of transportation. That was why Theodore Judah, Crazy Judah, decided that the Transcontinental Railroad was going to be built. It would solve the problems of communication and transportation.

There were many stories told in Old Sacramento, but somehow the issues of communication and transportation intrigued me the most. There is so much to tell about how California was connected to the United States. The field trip we went on was great, and I heard many stories. It was an unforgettable day in Old Sacramento.

Sacramento’s Fight for the Fires Sacramento had many fire engine companies, and they were all made up of volunteers with a “pay” of one write-up in the newspaper for the following day. Because of that, the different companies would race to put out the fires. Once, when a school was on fire, two companies were arguing over who got there first and could put out the fire in glory, and the school burned down! The only way this could be stopped was to pay the firefighters, and that’s just what Sacramento did in the 1850’s to the 1860’s.

Article posted April 30, 2012 at 07:53 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 46

The fire engines that were in Old Sacramento have pretty good stories. Some of them are:

My class and I went to a field trip to Old Sacramento. We had a guided tour from our teacher, Mr. LaMarr, and he was great! We learned a lot, and one of the things we learned was about the fire companies.

There were 14 fire companies in Old Sacramento. Before California’s government said there would be taxes to pay the fire companies, the buildings would have to donate money to keep them running. If the owner didn’t and the owner’s building caught on fire, the fire stations would let the building burn down.

Once, in Old Sacramento, a fire was raging in a building. Two fire “wagons” were coming to a narrow bridge. Neither of them was going to stop, and they crashed into each other, flipping both wagons upside-down. When they got their wagons back up, the building was just a pile of black ashes.

California’s government saw this in Old Sacramento; they made all the citizens of Old Sacramento to pay taxes for the fire companies. A motto for Fire Company #3 was “Always Ready!”

The field trip to Old Sacramento was fun. We learned a lot about the history of Old Sacramento. It was absolutely amazing.

I love soccer and play soccer during recess. My best friend is in Mr. LaMarr's class. I am on a soccor team named Sac United. I love making comics and cartoons. I have a dog that is very cute. My juggling record in soccer is 64. I am a Weblo in Cub Scouts. I love olaying call of duty MW3