Copyright (c) 2014 by Star Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Star -- Blogmeister

2011-2012

All the students in room 15 teach and learn from each other. The challenges that are achieved are limited only by the restrictions of their own minds!

by Star

teacher: Michael La Marr

The Floating Prison

On our day that we were in Old Sacramento, our teacher led us to the Delta King. After telling us about that boat, he said there was a floating prison on the boat La Grange.

A floating prison did exist. The boat was called La Grange. It existed because the jail cells were all full and more prisoners were needed to be held. There were boats just rotting on the river, so they made one a prison. They couldn’t make proper cells on the boat so some prisoners escaped. The police force got fined $500 for every prisoner that escaped so they chained the prisoners down.

One day the water was coming in quickly. The water flooded La Grange; so much water was coming into the boat they had to evacuate the prisoners. All the prisoners got off the boat on time. Slowly the boat sank to the bottom of the river.

That is why we keep prisons on stable ground. Luckily we learn from our mistakes. That is what happened to Sacramento’s floating prison.

Article posted April 25, 2012 at 08:26 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 43

Poetry

When I was at Westminster Woods we were told to write some descriptive words to describe our favorite things at camp. So when we came we wrote poetry and these are some of them.

Campfire

Yellow vines of flames glowing in the room

Songs being sung with kids fallowing

Heat blazing in the room

Sweaty kids getting tired

My friend to say how great that song was

Coffeecake

Yummy, crumbly, delicious

Coffeecake

Banana slug

Slimy, interesting, yellow, dotted, slow, cool

Banana slug

Net

Hard, rough

Energizing, interesting, soaking Rope, hole, feathers, foam, Loving, comforting, boring,

Soft, nice

Pillow

The Terrible Wave

I like that Marden Dalstedt is very descriptive. Here is one example, “Trunks whirled by, wicked looking boards splintered with nails, showers of broken glass winged a thousand tiny arrows…” Now that is creative. I like it because it gives me a picture in my head. Another example of her great descriptions is, “The trunk of a giant tree came rushing past, its roots waving above the water like a hundred searching fingers.” I like that one for the same reason as the last example.

I like these examples of her use of personification. “…flames eating the sky…” Flames eating the sky? Who’s ever heard of that? I think that’s a very thoughtful way of thinking about flames. Another example is, “…roots waving above the water like a hundred searching fingers.” That’s one of my favorites because I like the picture `of roots looking like searching fingers.

This is just a little of what I like about the writing style of Mardon Dalstedt. What I wrote is just scratching the surface of Mardon Dalstedt’s wonderful book The Terrible Wave.

Article posted December 14, 2011 at 08:56 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 413

California’s History

I believe that the most important part of California’s history is the Native Californians crossing the land bridge that was connecting Asia to Alaska. This is important because if the Native Californians didn’t cross the land bridge, California’s history would be a much different story. Some explorers would not have survived with- out the Native Californians. The Native Californians wouldn’t be at the missions to work there. This would have changed history.

Native Americas helped out the explorers by giving them food. Cermeño is an explorer whose ship wrecked, and he and his crew piled on a small ship and sailed safely to shore. They met the Native Californians who gave them acorn so Cermeño did not starve to death on his journey back to New Spain.

The Native Californians also helped the missions. Native Californians were very important people to the missions even though they were the slaves. Slaves were important to the missions because they kept the missions clean, running, and they even built the missions. If the Native Californians didn’t cross the land bridge the Native Californians wouldn’t be the slave workers so the Spanish would have to do the work and that would change history for sure.

As everyone can see, if the Native Californians didn’t cross the land bridge there would be a major change in history. Two of the main changes would be Cermeño starving to death at Drake’s Bay, and the Spanish wouldn’t have Native Californians slaves in the missions. That is why I think the Native Californians crossing the land bridge is the most important idea in California’s history.