Copyright (c) 2014 by Magnet 123 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Magnet 123 -- Blogmeister

About Me

2011-2012

All the students in room 15 teach and learn from each other. The challenges that are achieved are limited only by the restrictions of their own minds!

by Magnet 123

teacher: Michael La Marr

Old Sacramento
On our field trip to Old Sacramento, our teacher told us the story of why ladies had a separate waiting rooms at train stations. In the days of the Gold Rush, ladies had separate waiting rooms at train stations because miners were gross, disgusting, dirty, spit tobacco, smelled bad, and used bad language in the presence of women and their children.

Ladies did not like sharing a waiting room because the miners spit chewing tobacco and the ladies did not think this was very appropriate. Sometimes miners even got chewing tobacco on the lady's fancy dresses! The women were more ladylike and hated getting dirty in the presence of the public. But for the miners, this behavior was very normal and common.

Some of the ladies had children with them. The miners did not use appropriate language, even in the presence of young children. To prevent kids from learning such an inappropriate language, ladies and children had a separate waiting room at train stations.

There were many issues of why ladies had a separate waiting room from other miners, but I’m only going to list three of them. But when the people actually got on the train they all rode together. You could also say that the ladies and miners were segregated.

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 09:47 AM • comment • Reads 43 • see all articles

I really like playing the piano and bandura ( a Ukrainian instrument is almost like a giutar but with a left hand position on to of it) I love the ocean and taking pictures of my hamster Holly. When I grow up im going to become a doctor! I love cats and dogs. my favorite type of cat is a tortoishell. my favorite type of dog is a pitbull! :) i love soccer and doing flips on the bars! im good at that! im 10 years old. my b-day is on april 10.