Copyright (c) 2014 by Hi 2525 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Hi 2525 -- Blogmeister

2011-2012

All the students in room 15 teach and learn from each other. The challenges that are achieved are limited only by the restrictions of their own minds!

by Hi 2525

teacher: Michael La Marr

Title: California's History (10/23/11)
Description: We have been reviewing California's history for the first part of the school year. The natives and the land bridge over the Bering Strait have been discussed. We've talked about exploration of the land by Europeans and then the settling of the land by Spain. We have also studied how Spain lost control of California, and we have examined how California became part of the United States.

It is your turn to give your opinion about our state's history. As you review all that we've discussed so far, what do you think is the most important event that has occurred? What part of our state's history do you think created the most change and helped California head to where we are today?

Your task will be to create a topic sentence stating your opinion. You need to have several items of support to prove your topic sentence. The more detailed you get, the better you will score. Think about the topic and give it some good thought.

Create your answer in paragraph form. Be sure you have a strong conclusion. You will need to be sure that your spelling and grammar are correct, too. Make certain that you have good ideas to make a reader think about what you have said.

sealca

California’s History

I think that the most important event, of the Bear Revolt, is how and when California got claimed to be part of the United States. The United States gained California when the Bear Flag Revolt and the War with Mexico occurred. It was important because it is known that the United States and the Bear Flag Rebels were the ones that helped the most to claim California for the United States.

I think that the event that created the most change was the War with Mexico. I think it is the War with Mexico because it was that war that let California break free from Mexico. California then came into the United State’s ownership.

Article posted December 14, 2011 at 08:56 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 446

California’s History

I believe that the most important part of California’s history is the Native Californians crossing the land bridge that was connecting Asia to Alaska. This is important because if the Native Californians didn’t cross the land bridge, California’s history would be a much different story. Some explorers would not have survived with- out the Native Californians. The Native Californians wouldn’t be at the missions to work there. This would have changed history.

Native Americas helped out the explorers by giving them food. Cermeño is an explorer whose ship wrecked, and he and his crew piled on a small ship and sailed safely to shore. They met the Native Californians who gave them acorn so Cermeño did not starve to death on his journey back to New Spain.

The Native Californians also helped the missions. Native Californians were very important people to the missions even though they were the slaves. Slaves were important to the missions because they kept the missions clean, running, and they even built the missions. If the Native Californians didn’t cross the land bridge the Native Californians wouldn’t be the slave workers so the Spanish would have to do the work and that would change history for sure.

As everyone can see, if the Native Californians didn’t cross the land bridge there would be a major change in history. Two of the main changes would be Cermeño starving to death at Drake’s Bay, and the Spanish wouldn’t have Native Californians slaves in the missions. That is why I think the Native Californians crossing the land bridge is the most important idea in California’s history.

Article posted December 9, 2011 at 07:13 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 74

I think that one of the most important parts of California’s history was when California became part of the United States. The reason that I think that is because that event was going on for many, many years, and some famous generals were involved. The two events that helped California become part of the United States were the Bear Flag Revolt and War with Mexico. In my opinion, the more important event was the Bear Flag Revolt.

A reason that the Bear Flag Revolt was more important than the War with Mexico was that it was much longer than the war. After a man named John C. Fremont came to California, and was ordered out of the state, he went to Oregon, but soon came back. When Fremont revisited California, he started spreading rumors to American settlers that they, too would be ordered out of California. In very little time he had established a group of about 30 settlers who called themselves the Bear Flag Rebels. Once this group was made, they surrounded the home of general Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo. The rebels then captured the general, and afterwards held him prisoner at Sutter’s Fort. Since they had captured him, they believed that they had control of the state of California. However, little did they know, that there was already a war going on in a different part of the state. When the rebels realized that there was a war going on, they teamed up with John D. Sloat and his large group of soldiers to try and defeat the Califorios, and win California from Mexico. As it turned out, the United States were able to defeat the Californios, and the reason that they were able to was that the United States had more soldiers, and the Bear Flag Rebels had added to that cause, which had won California from Mexico.

By,

ezd

Most Important Part of California’s History

I think the most important time of California’s history, was when the Gold Rush was on. People knew they were going to face hardships and possible deaths, but they didn’t care. They had gold fever!

Right away California’s population skyrocketed, and many people came from all over the world to get to California. Some people went by wagon and some went by ship. Some people, the ones who went by ship, took the Strait of Magellan, a long narrow strait. Some people took the long journey around Cape Horn, and lost much time because of the terrible weather. Most people had really no idea what they were doing, but they had gold fever.

Once people got to San Francisco, they had many expenses just to get to Sacramento City. For one person to get on the riverboat, the quickest way to get to Sacramento City, it took twenty- five dollars. Once in Sacramento, supplies were expensive. The person would have to get mining equipment like, a gold pan, a long tom, a cradle, a pick, and a shovel. Then the soon-to-be miner needed a stagecoach to get to a camp. Once in camp, they needed a place to stay and sleep. Then the person would get ready to head to the foothills. People came all around to test their luck, would you?

The Gold Rush had changed California’s history by increasing its population, leading California to becoming a state, and that’s why I think the Gold Rush was important.

The most important event that led the United States to where it is today was the joining of California to the United States. The joining of California to the United States happened because of the building of the missions, which were built by Spanish settlers to settle California. The missions were overthrown. American settlers eventually came to California. Those events lead to the Bear Flag Revolt, which led to war with Mexico, which lead to California becoming a part of the United States because of the signing of the Treaty of Guadalupe Vallejo.

American settlers started coming to California to find wealth and opportunities. John C. Fremont came to California and met with Colonel Jose Castro. Jose Castro ordered Fremont out of California. Fremont left but came back later. Fremont spread rumors to the American settlers that they would all be ordered out of California. This led to Fremont encouraging the settlers to rebel. They started the Bear Flag Revolt in Sonoma. This happened at Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo’s house. He was held prisoner a Sutter’s Fort.

The Bear Flag rebels didn’t know that the United States had already gone to war with Mexico. The Californios attacked with rifles, wooden lances, and a cannon. The Californios won the battles, but the United States won the war due to more ammunition. So the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was created. The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed in the town of Guadalupe Hidalgo. The treaty ensured that all of the Californio’s rights were preserved, but the United States got 525,000 square acres of land if they paid $15,000,000. California continued to grow, until, James Marshall discovered gold. California experienced the “ Gold Rush.” The Gold Rush led to statehood.

California’s History

There are a many important events that were important to California’s history. It was hard to choose the most important event, but the most important event about California’s history was the war between Mexico and the United States.

The war between Mexico and the United States was an important event about California’s history. If it didn’t happen California would never been part of the United States, and if the war between Mexico and the United States had never happened, then California wouldn’t be a part of the United States. The war was also important because if it didn’t happen Mexico would own California.

The treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo stated that the United States owns most of Mexico’s land, and that all the Mexicans would keep their rights. Also the Mexicans would also keep their land grants. That’s why the war between California and Mexico is important to our states history.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 06:25 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 359

California’s History

In my opinion all of the fights with the Californios were the most important event in California’s history. Californios were Mexican men who lived in California while it was part of Mexico. The Californios were both Mexican soldiers and sort of policemen. The fights the United States had with Mexicans were extremely important and helped our state progress.

The fights against the Mexicans were important to California’s history. The reason I think this is because they helped the United States obtain California. They helped because the Mexicans, after a while, got scared of the American soldiers and gave up. The reason many Mexicans got so scared of the Americans was because they had more weapons, soldiers, and ammunition. It’s true that they were at war, but the United States Army was stronger and dominated the Mexicans. Once that happened, the Americans and Mexicans made the Treaty of Guadalupe. The treaty stated that the United States would receive California if the paid the Mexican government $15 million 525,000 square miles. I think that the fights against the Californios helped our state progress.

Article posted December 14, 2011 at 06:28 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 96

I think the Native Americans coming to California was the most important event in California history. Native Americans crossed the land bridge because they needed to find food. The Native Americans came to California because they were hunting for meat such as giant moose, antelope, and even mammoths. After they got there they settled.

After the Native Americans settled in California the Native Americans gave birth and then made their culture spread across the United States of America.

I think the most important part of California’s history is the war with Mexico. On the day of May 13, 1846, the war began. The United States wanted to stretch from coast to coast. The war started because the Californios from Mexico and the Americans both claimed Texas. The war began on the border of Texas. They had to fight to figure out who owned the land. On July 7, 1846, the war reached California. On that day the Navy came with 250 soldiers that joined the Americans. The Californios had many weapons, from wooden lances to cannons. The Americans won, so they didn’t disagree with each other anymore. The war with Mexico helped the Americans gain 525,000 square miles of land for $15,000,000. This helped make California the big state it is today.

In California history there were many important events and ones that created change. The most significant event was when the United States took control of California. I also think that the event in history that created the most change was when Native Californians came to California. There were several important events of California’s history. I think the most important is how California became part of the United States of America. Natives discovered it, Spaniards settled it, Mexicans took it from Spain, but the most crucial event was when Americans fought to make California part of the United States. America gaining California is also significant because it is how California became part of the United States. When America gained the land of California it put California on its way to becoming the state we live in today. If this hadn’t happened California could still be in the hands of the Mexican government, and Americans might have never gained California, therefore never living in it. Also I believe this is the most important event in California history for one major reason. If the United States had not taken over we would not live in a state but in an area of Mexico. When Americans fought for California they gained another state of the United States of America. Many events in California’s history created change, but there is one that I think made the most. When Native Californians came to California it created tons of change. Before these people came to California, our state wasn’t even inhabited. When America took over California nothing much changed other than the owner of that land. That is why I think Native Americans coming to California created the most change. I also believe this because no one lived in California until Natives came and increased California’s population by lot. When Native Californians came to America 40,000 years ago, they created a lot of change that helped California become the state it is today There were many important events in California history and events that made change. The most significant event was when the United States of America fought with Mexico to decide which country would own California. The part that created the most change in California history was when Natives came to California.

There were several important events in California’s history, but the most important was when Native Californians came to California. Even though this event is most important, I think the event that created the most change in California was Spain getting control of California.

There are several reasons that prove Native Californians coming to California from Asia was most important. One reason this was most important is that these people were the first people to come to California. This started California’s population. For many years, Natives lived in California.

Native Californians came from Asia thousands of years ago. It took a very long time to cross the land bridge, and only after several generations, a person would get to California. Natives came following their food. If their food moved, they would move with it.

Spain coming to California caused many changes in California. First of all, people from Spain created missions. This created further change. Natives were forced to work for the Spanish, change their religion, and even speak a different language. Also, the Spanish brought diseases to which Native Californians weren’t immune. After being released from the missions Natives no longer knew their own culture. That ended the Native Californian culture and is most likely why people do not live the same way as Native Californians did back then.

Also, Spanish explorers changed California. For example, Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo was a great explorer who found San Diego while looking for the Strait of Anian. In addition, Sebastian Rodriguez Cermenho found Monterey, a safe harbor. Someone would have eventually been able to explore these places, but it would have been a lot later. Both of these people did a great thing for California by finding Monterey, a safe harbor and San Diego, the place the first mission was built.

I believe that Native Californians coming to California was the most important event in California’s history, and Spain coming to California created the most change. Native Californians were very important and did many things for California. They basically started the state. Spain coming to California created some very major changes. They changed the Native Californians and Spanish explorers found San Diego and Monterey. These places might not have been found for a long time if it weren’t for Spain.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 08:49 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 80

Most Important Part

I think the most important part in social studies that I learned was about the war between the United States and Mexico. I think it was a big change in California history. They had war because United States believed that the it should stretch from coast to coast. The United States asked the Mexicans if the United States could have the Mexican’s land, but the Mexicans said no. So the United States started to fight. At first the United States was not doing so well in the battles, but the United States was winning the war. The war is bigger than the battles. The United States won the war because they had more weapons and soldiers. I think it was the most important part in California history because we would not have California. If we did not win the war it would probably change United States history.

California’s history was very important for the forming of California. The Bear Flag Revolt was the most important event in our state’s history. It helped form the Mexican War that gave California the United States for $15,000,000 dollars. It gave the United States a helping hand of capturing one of the most important citizens in California, Colonel Vallejo, the military leader of the Californios, who was brought to Sutter’s Fort. It was the start of the war.

The Mexican War generated the most change. It made the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in which the United States bought California for $15,000,000 from Mexico. Even though the United States lost many battles, they won the whole war. The United States was granted their wish, their destiny, their Manifest Destiny, to stretch the United States from coast to coast.

California’s history is very important. The Bear Flag Revolt and the Mexican War are part of California history and are two of the most important. The United States would not have gained California without the Mexican War. Californians, as people now call them, would have been ruled by Mexico for a while longer. If none of these important events happened Californians would not be as they are today.

Article posted December 15, 2011 at 08:49 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 88

I think the most important event in California’s history is when the Native Americans came to California about 9,000 years ago. I think that was the most important event in California’s history because the Native Americans were the first people in California. I also think that was the most important event because were one of the first people in America. The Native Americans came to America on a bridge of ice connecting Russia to Alaska. The Native Americans walked from Alaska to California to hunt for food. The Native Americans scattered all over the place.