Copyright (c) 2014 by RS Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
RS -- Blogmeister

Rachel's Writing World

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by RS

teacher: Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

Sleeping Not So Beautiful part 12
Murmured voices were the first thing I heard. Not exactly comforting sounds after you’ve been knocked out by I Smartphone. I guess nothing would have been comforting though. At least I wasn’t a herd of elephants instead.
I sat up and looked around. I wasn’t in a hospital bed, but it was close to one. It had white sheets, and a curtain hanging around the bed. Except instead of a white curtain it was golden silk.
“Darling Darwin, are you awake?” a sing-song voice called. I saw an elderly woman carrying a tray come out from behind the curtains. I managed a small smile in her direction, but I immediately regretted it. My muscles ached, and as my body woke up fully I groaned.
“Your girlfriend stopped by to bring you this,” the woman said. I started to answer, but then I realized something. If my girlfriend (the lady must be talking about Alia) brought me this she must be awake!
I sat up in bed only then realizing I seriously needed some ibuprofen. The nurse pushed me back down and poured some foul-tasting medicine down my throat. I gagged, and laid my head back down, allowing the nurse to pour more of the medicine in my mouth.
She handed me a tray with some steaming pancakes on it. Despite my pain, I realized I was hungry. Those pancakes smelled absolutely delicious. I wondered how Alia had cooked pancakes while she was asleep. I decided to figure that out after I had eaten.
Just as I was finishing the last bite of pancake Camilla rushed into the room. As soon as she saw me awake she came over and gave me a giant bear hug.
“Oh you did it Darwin you did it! What do you want? You can have anything!” It took me awhile to process. In movies the guy offered this always asked for the daughter in marriage. I would not go that far.
“What did I do?” The words came out before I could think. Camilla laughed.
“You woke Alia up, silly! She’s waiting outside to thank you!”
Talk about perfect timing. At that moment Alia poked her head around the corner of the door.
“Camilla, are you alright in there? Blake is worried about you.”
“Oh he’s a dear. Tell him I’ll be right there. Come on in!’ Camilla said. Alia shyly walked over to my bed and sat down on one of the bedside chairs. It was the first time I saw her when she was awake, but she looked familiar.
“Hi. Thanks for saving me. I appreciate it.” She was funny, but I stopped myself from laughing for the sake of my jaw muscles. I must have smiled though because she snapped at me. “What?” Then she smiled sweetly, remembering Camilla was there. Camilla tiptoed out of the room, an ear-to-ear smile on her face.
The sudden change in Alia scared me. When she looked me up and down, sizing me up, I felt she was deciding the best way to get rid of me. Then she grabbed me by my ear and whispered:
“This is really cute and everything, but you are NOT going to live here. That will not work. No matter what Camilla wants.”
Then she ran out of the room at top speed, her high heels clicking. I hadn’t even noticed she was wearing high heels. I lay back in bed. My first meeting with this girl was not happy. Not happy at all.I wanted to fall asleep, but the thoughts swirling around in my head stopped me. I couldn’t get what Alia had said to me out of my head. What did she mean about me living with her? It must be my father’s work. He had always thought I would marry someone like her. I mean, her mom used to be a super model in England. What else could a toothpaste commercial model want for his son?
I considered what my father and Camilla might be doing. Maybe they would be disusing plans for Alia and me. This did not help my goal of falling asleep. The words Alia had said echoed in my mind again. “You are NOT going to live here. No matter what Camilla wants.”
Camilla must have wanted the boy who saved Alia to stay with them as a reward. As much as I wanted to live in a mansion with golden pillars, I wanted Alia to stay with Camilla. I was sure if my father and I lived here Alia would run away. She must not want to share what she had. That or she didn’t want to become friendly with me.
When the nurse clicked the light off I heard her singing a little song about unicorns. I smiled. That smile seemed to be the key to falling asleep. I dreamed about unicorns.

Look for part 13!

Article posted March 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM • comment • Reads 33 • see all articles

My name is Rachel. I am ten yeas old and in fifth grade at Nettleton. I have four chickens as pets and love to play soccer.