Copyright (c) 2014 by RS Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
RS -- Blogmeister

Rachel's Writing World

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by RS

teacher: Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

I heard a soft knock on my door.
“Alia, are you awake?” Camilla asked.
I jumped. I had fallen asleep in my clothes! My hair was all knotted and my clothes were rumpled. I checked my new watch. I was surprised it already was 7:30. My grandma had always waked me up at 5am, blowing a horn in my ear.
Camilla entered slowly, the door creaking a little. She sat down on my bed. I straightened up and move over so she could have room. It was the classic mother-daughter exchange.
“Alia honey, is something bothering you? I could change my home-school curriculum if you needed.”
“I’m fine mom,” I said. The word ‘mom’ felt good coming out of my mouth. I had never known my real mother.
“Are you sure honey?” Camilla asked, worry lines etching her forehead. I never knew she was that old. She seemed like a perfect mother to me.
“I’m sure mom”, I replied. “I promise.”
She left, closing the door behind her. I sat up and stretched. I was still as rumpled as my clothes. I walked over to my closet and picked out a colorful shirt and brown shorts. The first thing Camilla had done for me is taken me shopping. That’s when I decided to like her.
I smelled pancakes cooking as I went down the stairs to the kitchen. Could this woman be any more perfect? I decided she couldn’t when I ate my first bite of pancakes. Perfectly browned and evenly cooked just how I like them.
I wiped the maple syrup from my chin and looked to see Camilla still cooking pancakes.
“Are you going to eat?” I asked her. “You should taste your masterpiece. They’re wonderful!”
“Not today sweetie,” Camilla said. “I need to watch my weight.”
“But why?” I asked. “You’re perfect!”
“But some people don’t think so sweetie.”
I pondered that. Maybe I should start watching how much chocolate I ate. I promised myself I would go to the work out later today

Look for part 3

Article posted March 16, 2012 at 09:57 AM • comment • Reads 51 • see all articles

My name is Rachel. I am ten yeas old and in fifth grade at Nettleton. I have four chickens as pets and love to play soccer.