Copyright (c) 2014 by RS Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
RS -- Blogmeister

Rachel's Writing World

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by RS

teacher: Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

We went on an amazing field trip to Hartley Nature Center. I am going to tell you a little bit about it. First, we went to a station called Tree Identification. The forester that ran it was named Rebecca. We were supposed to write about what we observed about the trees we were assigned too. There were six types of trees that small groups had to identify. Some of the trees were Sugar Maple, Trebling Aspen, Red Pine, Tamarack and Spruce. Then we walked to another station. On the way there we saw things like live and dead grasses and trees. The rest of the day went by something like that. Some of the things I learned were that if you pound a nail into a tree while it’s growing, it will never end up at the top because the bottom of the tree grows out and only the top of the tree grows up. I also learned that Sapsuckers and Wood peckers are very different. Sapsuckers suck all of the nutrients out of the tree, while Woodpeckers are only looking for the grubs inside of the tree. Before that field trip I never knew that glasses were made out of sand. Did you know that the under fur of beavers was used to make felt hats? I didn’t. Also there are three kinds of soil, sand, clay and silt. I could go on forever, but those are just I few things I learned on our great and fun field trip to Hartley Park.

Article posted September 30, 2011 at 09:47 AM • comment (2) • Reads 58 • see all articles

My name is Rachel. I am ten yeas old and in fifth grade at Nettleton. I have four chickens as pets and love to play soccer.