Copyright (c) 2014 by RS Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
RS -- Blogmeister

Rachel's Writing World

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by RS

teacher: Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

The river reeds sway

Submissive to the wind

Bending down

Bowing

The waves push them

They stand strong

Knowing they can

Strong roots don’t give way

The dancing flames

Ignite a fire within

The light reflects

Apiece of my mind

A warm glow

Light

All powerful

Yet so tame

Feel the warmth

Smoke

It stirs a memory

Hidden away

The smell

The soft taste

Floating around you

Life’s savory smell

Everyone knows

The breeze plays with me

Tugging

Pulling

Trees try to resist

They learn

Soon they will

Not to mess with the wind

The waves roll

Splashing white spray

Mist

Crashing to a beat

Not one the same beat

They are a whole

But yet apart

They wear away stone

Time and time again

Making patterns

In the sands of time

One of my hopes and dreams this year was to read 45 novels. I accomplished this goal and got past it by 30 by reading a lot on car trips, school breaks, during math and on weekends. This goal was also accomplished because I got to go to the library and pick out lots of books that interested me. If I liked the book I was reading and found it hard to put down I found more time to read.

Another one of my hopes and dreams was to expand my vocabulary. I have accomplished this by finding words I don’t know in my books and writing them down, then using them for Word Work. I also looked through the dictionary and using them for Word Work also. Then I would try to use those words more often. I found out that dictionaries have a lot of interesting words and other people can benefit from hearing other people use complicated words and learning what they mean. Also, complicated words make me feel powerful. That’s a good thing.

The last of my goals I’m going to talk about is that I wanted to be a better soccer player. This year I have really practiced hard and tried my best to get better. Last summer I would practice soccer every day in my backyard for 30 minutes and have practices four times a week. I think this had really helped me get better. This summer I plan to work extra hard to get better so I can have a good tryout and feel more confident.

I have just shared three of my hopes and dreams/ goals for this year and how I have accomplished them and/or are going to keep working on them. Hopefully I will accomplish some of my other goals too.

Cow Woes

Grass tastes gross.

Kind of like dirt.

I wonder why.

I love barbed wire fences.

It tastes a lot better than grass.

But people give me grass.

Why don’t these people understand me?

Cat Woes

Mice are cute.

I like dogs.

Swimming is so fun.

I love taking my pills.

I don’t like to stalk things.

Stalking is not very kind.

Why don’t these people understand me?

Pig Woes

I don’t like mud.

These flies are getting on my nerves.

Why is that guy coming at me with a knife?

Knifes are scary.

I like food, not knives.

Food is yummy.

I also like to dig things up.

I like dirt, not mud.

Why don’t these people understand me?

“Blake and Darwin are going home tomorrow. I offered them a place to stay through the night. I hope that’s okay with you.”

Camilla had that look on her face I remembered from that date not that long ago in that store. Hopefulness. That was a look she knew I couldn’t resist.

“Camilla, are you serious? I mean, I wouldn’t mind anymore if they lived with us. I have been getting to know them better. They could stay in the neighborhood if they wanted or maybe…” my voice faltered.

Camilla was doing something I know was not the perfect motherly thing to do. She was laughing. No, I don’t think it counted as laughing. She was guffawing. I don’t even know if that’s a word, but that was the only thing to describe the noise she was making. Soon Blake and Darwin joined in.

“Um… Camilla? Are you okay? I mean…like, your kind of going crazy. Should I go get someone to help you breathe or something?” I asked. Growing up with my grandma I was used to prophecies coming out of her mouth at random, but my grandma had never laughed. The closest thing to a laugh coming from her was a grim smile.

Camilla was not only smiling grimly. She was now rolling around on the floor almost screaming with laughter. This was creepy. Camilla was not supposed to laugh at her foster child. Unless I told a joke. Which I might have.

“Oh Alia! That was funny!” Camilla managed to get out. I personally didn’t know what was so funny, but I didn’t freak out. That was a good thing, because Camilla soon got control of herself.

“You know, I have started to think you might have a sense of humor after all. I was worried about your future. Now I know that you’ll be fine. They’ll leave. Bye!” Camilla called to Darwin and Blake retreating backs.

They left, and as their limo turned into the street, Camilla hugged me.

“Bye, mister toothpaste,” she said in a voice just loud enough for me to hear. At that moment I knew Camilla had hated him from the start and just wanted them to leave. Now, at last I could live in peace. Camilla, my beanies and me.

It was perfect.

The End

But that ending is only for now. You know Camilla. She’ll have another husband candidate for me before you can say tomatoes. Oh well. Now I know her secrets. Wa ha ha.

Alia

I ran out of the hospital room, mad at the world. Why did my rescuer have to be so nice? I couldn’t complain about him at all. That was a problem. I had been frightened of Zachery and his father, but Darwin and his dad Blake? They were good people. I had been trying to hate Camilla for what she had been doing for me, but I couldn’t hate her for this. I hate to say this, but if Darwin and Blake lived here I wouldn’t mind it.

As I ran, I found myself in a place I didn’t know. My first thought was I had just taken a wrong turn. It’s easy to get lost in such a big house. But when I started going back the way I came, I only found myself back at the hospital door. I’d just go in and see if Darwin was okay. He had saved me, after all.

I took a few steps into the room, but then immediately regretted it. I saw Camilla leaning over Darwin’s bed. She was whispering something. I backed out of the room, trying to shut the door quietly behind me. I must have failed. My last sight was a surprised Camilla face. Not trying to be quiet, I took off down the hall toward my bedroom.

I hoped Camilla wouldn’t be too mad. Lost in my thoughts, I almost ran into Blake Sonka. He was going in the opposite direction looking worried. When he saw me, though, he smiled and bowed a little.

“Why Alia, fancy seeing you here. Why the glum face? Has Darwin done that to you?”I couldn’t help but smile at that. I curtsied back.

“Darwin has not done anything to me. I am lost in my own thoughts. Where are you going?” Blake blushed.

“I was looking for Camilla. Do you know where she is?”

As soon as I opened my mouth to answer, Camilla came rushing up behind me. She looked like she was about to scold me, but when she saw Blake she put a million-dollar smile on her face.

“Why hello there Blake! What brings you here on this fine afternoon? Is it your wonderful son? I’ve just been to see him. He fine you know he’s fine. I really think my nurse Nancy has taken good care of him. You are forever in our thanks. Whatever can we do to thank you? You can have anything.”

After that little conference I could tell Blake was as baffled as I was. I couldn’t believe Camilla had offered him anything. I could just tell he would ask to live at the mansion. He and his completely nice son Darwin. Darwin was one of the cutest boys I had ever seen. Why did Camilla have to make it that hard?

Look for part 15!

My name is Rachel. I am ten yeas old and in fifth grade at Nettleton. I have four chickens as pets and love to play soccer.