Copyright (c) 2014 by PP Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
PP -- Blogmeister

Popo's Awesome Writting Party

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by PP

teacher: Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

Komodo Dragons
Komodo dragons are the biggest and heaviest lizards on Earth. Full-grown adults can reach 10 feet (3 meters) long and weigh more than 300 pounds (140 kilograms)! Most weigh about 150 pounds (70 kilograms).

These giant reptiles have been around for millions of years, but scientists didn't study them until about a hundred years ago. Wild Komodo dragons are found only on Indonesia's Lesser Sunda Islands.

Komodo dragons are a type of monitor lizard. They are powerful-looking reptiles with wide, flat heads, rounded snouts, bowed legs, and huge, muscular tails. They have a clumsy, back-and-forth walk, and their yellow tongues flick in and out constantly.

The dominant predators on the islands where they live, Komodo dragons will eat almost anything they find, including already dead animals, deer, water buffalo, pigs, smaller Komodo dragons, and occasionally humans!

When hunting, Komodo dragons rely on camouflage and patience, lying in bushes or tall grasses until a victim passes by. They pounce on their prey with powerful legs and sharp claws, and then sink their jagged, shark like teeth in.

An animal that escapes the jaws of a Komodo won't feel lucky for long. Dragon saliva contains large amounts of bacteria, which poisons their victims, usually within 24 hours. Dragons will calmly follow their bitten prey for miles, using their keen sense of smell to find the corpse.

Komodo dragons will often share a large carcass. The biggest males eat first. They have huge appetites and have been known to eat up to 80 percent of their body weight in a single feeding. That's 240 pounds (110 kilograms) of meat for a 300-pound (140-kilogram) dragon!

Article posted March 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM • comment • Reads 127 • see all articles

My name is Popo. I am eleven years old. I love to play soccer. I am also on my school drum group.