Copyright (c) 2014 by PP Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
PP -- Blogmeister

Popo's Awesome Writting Party

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by PP

teacher: Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

Komodo dragons are the biggest and heaviest lizards on Earth. Full-grown adults can reach 10 feet (3 meters) long and weigh more than 300 pounds (140 kilograms)! Most weigh about 150 pounds (70 kilograms).

These giant reptiles have been around for millions of years, but scientists didn't study them until about a hundred years ago. Wild Komodo dragons are found only on Indonesia's Lesser Sunda Islands.

Komodo dragons are a type of monitor lizard. They are powerful-looking reptiles with wide, flat heads, rounded snouts, bowed legs, and huge, muscular tails. They have a clumsy, back-and-forth walk, and their yellow tongues flick in and out constantly.

The dominant predators on the islands where they live, Komodo dragons will eat almost anything they find, including already dead animals, deer, water buffalo, pigs, smaller Komodo dragons, and occasionally humans!

When hunting, Komodo dragons rely on camouflage and patience, lying in bushes or tall grasses until a victim passes by. They pounce on their prey with powerful legs and sharp claws, and then sink their jagged, shark like teeth in.

An animal that escapes the jaws of a Komodo won't feel lucky for long. Dragon saliva contains large amounts of bacteria, which poisons their victims, usually within 24 hours. Dragons will calmly follow their bitten prey for miles, using their keen sense of smell to find the corpse.

Komodo dragons will often share a large carcass. The biggest males eat first. They have huge appetites and have been known to eat up to 80 percent of their body weight in a single feeding. That's 240 pounds (110 kilograms) of meat for a 300-pound (140-kilogram) dragon!

There was a young boy named Alex.

He had a best friend named Felix.

They went the mall

And wanted to play ball.

But then ended up in a duplex.

There was a young shark named Fin.

He really did not like to sing.

He went to the church

And had to sing first

An then he became a sin.

There was a young girl named Feather.

She had a bright blue sweater.

She went the mall

To find a ball.

An then went out in the weather.

There once was a dog named Jim.

He liked to dance and swim.

He went the pool

To act like a fool.

An then he lost his skin.

There once was a guy named Bob.

He liked to eat and rob.

He robbed my house

And took my blouse.

There once was guy named Bob.

Hey playground monitors,

Recess is so fun for kids. But the thing is that we only get 15 minutes outside! We should at least get 30-35 minutes outside.

One reason why we need longer recess is so kids can spend more time with their friends from other classes. I like recess, but 15 minutes is not enough time to be with my friends.

Another reason why we need a longer recess is because some kids barely even get outside. They usually just play video games all day. If they even get outside at all they probably get out for only 10-15 minutes. That’s how long Nettleton students get out for during their recess. That’s just not enough!

My third reason is a lot of kids don’t get enough exercise. Sometimes they don’t even get any! Most kids do, but a lot of kids don’t. If we go outside earlier and go to lunch later, that would awesome. We would get out much more often. It would make kids happy! Especially me!

There are many more reasons than just those three, but those are the most important. Hopefully persuading you into having a longer recess worked, because I think that we really need one for kids who don’t get out very often and so kids can get exercise!

Sincerely,

Popo

Grade 5 Mr. Monson’s Classroom

During winter break me and my family went to Port-au-Prince, Haiti to see my dad’s side of the family.

The first thing we did there was we went to my aunt’s house. After we did that for a little, we got back into the car and drove to The Karibe Resort/Hotel. It seems like every night, there is a party. We stayed there for two nights.

After that, we went to a more basic Hotel. It was more like a guest house. It was called The La’Amite Hotel. It was right by the ocean. They had surfboards you could use. The seaweed was disgusting, but the waves were epic. We stayed there for three nights. That hotel was like a place for stay dogs and puppies hang out. We named a few of the puppies. They were so cute, we wanted to bath them then take them home with us. I don’t think the airport security would let us bring five dogs on the plane.

We stayed at my aunt’s house after The La’Amite Hotel/Guest house.

We went to a lot of awesome places. The most epic place was Bassin Blu. That was a waterfall. The water was so clean. There were no creatures in it. Not even a Mino. There were two sections to swim. One was seventy-five feet down, and the other was ten feet down. I picked the ten foot one. There were places to jump off of. Our tour guide jump off a cliff that looked like it was thirty or forty feet down and landed in the seventy-five foot water. There was another one that was about ten or fifteen feet down. That’s the one I jumped off.

My uncle makes the best food. Especially the Kidney Rice. All of his rice’s are good but the Kidney rice is the best. We ate a lot of good food. This one restaurant that my dad took us to was really good. The pork chops were really good. That was what I had. All of the juices were fresh from the fruit. The Mango and Passion fruit juice were the best.

Everything there was epically epic. I wish I get to go back soon!

Popo’s Story

Hi, I’m Popo and this is my story.

The first thing you should know is that I love to play soccer. If you give me a soccer ball I will probably go and shot some goals. I like basically any sport. (Except baseball). When I grow up I want to be a professional soccer player.

I kind of have a different background. My dad is from Port-a-Prince, Haiti and my mom is from Cambridge, Massachusetts.

About 2 years ago in Port-a-Prince, Haiti there was a 7.0 earthquake and more than 200,000 people died. A lot of people got buried underneath the buildings that went to rubble. I even think this little boy in the rubble for 18 days without food or water and survived. None of my relatives died, but my grandma lost her house. They are still rebuilding Port-a-Prince, Haiti 2 years later. My dad went down there a lot last summer and I’m even going to go there for Christmas. It’s going to be fun, I hope.

I love to play music. I play drums and I just started piano a couple of months ago. My whole family are musicians in some sort of way. My dad conducts an orchestra and is a violinist. My mom tells stories. My sister plays piano and violin and my dog is a barker. What is your family like? Are you or parents from a different place? Well, that would be pretty interesting to know.

Article posted October 12, 2011 at 06:46 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 83

Today we went to Hartley Nature Center. It was called Forestry Field Day. It was an awesome day. We went to stations through out the day. The best one was probably the animal station. We learned about carnivores and herbivores. We saw moose and deer skulls and animal pelts. Some kids actually saw a real deer roaming around. And then we got to have lunch. I had fettuccine alfredo. My favorite. After that we went inside and saw all the real stuffed animals and alive snakes, snapping turtles, turtles and frogs. We observed a lot of things, like what kind of tree that is and fun things to observe. I learned some new vocabulary words, like defoliator and fascicle and tree identification. And I heard a lot of things, like a sawmill and a horn and people walking and talking. And I learned that trees grow outward and if you slash a tree down and take a little slice of it and you count the little lines on it that will tell you how old it is. Isn’t that cool? We saw people walking their dogs, taking a run, just walking and people biking. It would be so fun to bike on, I think. We saw cross-country ski trails and biking trails and a lot of cool places. We saw shelters that people made for a survival camp and they were awesome, I think. The whole day was like recess. A big, big recess!

My name is Popo. I am eleven years old. I love to play soccer. I am also on my school drum group.