Copyright (c) 2014 by NE Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
NE -- Blogmeister

N!!M!!'Zzz tYpInG hOmE bAsE

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by NE

teacher: Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

Informative Essay
A NOTE TO THE PEOPLE

This essay was not only written to meet the request of the state, but to inform the people of the world, about child obesity, and what is recommended for a healthy portion plate-enjoy. Yours truly, Niimii Eagle.

THE REAL ESSAY

Facts
A few reasons why it’s best to keep a healthy portion plate are to try to keep the percentage of obese children (and adults) from rising from what it already is-33.6%- and this is 5.4% more than a survey taken in 2000 which was 28.2% this was is in the United States alone. And I know what you’re thinking, because I had to think about a way to make this sound better than it was, so I actually DO know what you’re thinking, but anyways, your thinking “well, 33.6% isn’t very much, since it’s only out of 25 million Americans across the country ages 2-19!”……well, maybe that’s not exactly what you were thinking, but it would’ve been close If I had told you those facts. But now I don’t have to because I casually hinted at it. And I honestly don’t know why I keep tell you things that you obviously are already aware of, so I’ll stop.

Food
What’s a portion plate? It’s what’s recommended for an average meal of an average child; serving sizes, how many calories are in a healthy dinner, and what not to and to do when eating at a restaurant. Let’s get started, the portion size of each food group is as follows: fruits- ½ cup of grapes,1/4 cup of raisins, and ½ to ¾ cup 100% fruit juice, veggies- 1 cup green salad, ½ cup cooked veggies, and ½ to ¾ cup veggie juice, grain- 1 pancake, 1 cup dry cereal, and ½ cup cooked pasta, dairy- 1 cup milk, 1 cup yogurt, and ½ cup ice cream, meat- 2 TBSP peanut butter, 1/3 cup nuts, and ½ cup cooked beans, and last but not least, fats, oils, sweets- 1oz chips, 1oz chocolate, and 1tsp butter or margarine. And one more thing on food, there was this one lady, who came here from Japan and gained 20lbs in the two moths she spent her for college. And if that doesn’t show that there’s something wrong, I honestly don’t know what does.

Exercise
As you may know, it’s recommended that people should get at least 30-60 minutes of exercise each day or so. And, obviously, the activities that you do don’t necessarily have to be boring. Like for instants, you could roller blade for an hour, which can burn nearly 400+ calories, for 143 lbs person. And maybe it’s just me, but 400 calories is allot, isn’t it.

Well, that’s pretty much it.

And to quote Macbeth, “What’s done is done”.

Yours truly,- Niimii

Article posted November 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM • comment • Reads 37 • see all articles

My name is Niimii. I like to type a lot and read a lot as well. I hope you like my blog!