Copyright (c) 2014 by KD Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
KD -- Blogmeister

Karee's AWESOME blog! :)

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by KD

teacher: Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

Limerick- Frogs-

There once was a family of frogs.

Who loved to sit on the logs.

They would croak all day

And you would say “no way!”

To the frogs and would start to jog.

Limerick- Stars-

The stars are very bright.

You can only see them at night.

It’s great to lie down.

And not be in town.

To see the stars that will maybe take flight.

Haiku- Smile-

Glistening white teeth.

When happy, it’s worth doing.

Lips will stretch out far.

Haiku- Clock-

I will move my hands.

I have numbers on my face.

Sometimes used for math.

Calling for the Duluth Minnesota mayor! Please, put a city amusement park permanently in Duluth! All of the kids here need and want to have more fun!

The first reason why we need an amusement park, is because here in Duluth, the carnival comes around. But not for very long. We need to be entertained all summer!

Another reason is because if we didn’t have an amusement park, we would be bored all summer doing the same thing we do every summer such as, swimming in the lake or biking. We need something new and exciting for the summers! If we ever get bored of the amusement park, we can go back to the things we used to do!

The last reason why we need an amusement park is because parents want kids to have an inspiration of a really fun amusement park. Otherwise, kids wouldn’t know how fun an amusement park really is until they go to one! Kids need to have fun! An amusement park is the solution to a boring summer. So let’s have a city amusement park!

Friday :On Friday the day after school, I did chores for my neighbors such as, shoveling their sidewalks. I did this for money so I could buy things at the mall.

Saturday: On Saturday, I went sledding down a really big hill by my house. Me and my sister were on one big sled, and my brother and my friend were on another big sled. We went down really fast, and we kept on crashing into the bushes and trees!

Sunday: On Sunday, I celebrated Christmas. I got an electric guitar for Christmas and played with it and learned a few songs. I celebrated another Christmas at my grandma’s house and got an amplifier for my electric guitar. I got a lot of candy for Christmas too! I shared it with my family.

Monday: I Went to my grandma’s house today to visit my relatives that came all the way from Minneapolis. We had a really big dinner and drank un alcoholic Champaign. It was really fun with my relatives.

Tuesday: On Tuesday, I went up to the mall with my friend and spent the money I got from doing the chores for my neighbors. I spent the money on candy and a new Diary of a wimpy kid book called “Do it yourself”. I went back to my friends house and spent the night there.

Wednesday: My friend came over to my house and visited me. We played with my new presents I got from Christmas. We played. Operation, Sort it out and Ker plunk. We had fun together.

Thursday: On Thursday, I went ice skating. I went ice skating at the park I live by. There was a huge spot where there was ice I went skating on it with my brother and sister. We kept on falling but we got right back up and laughed when we fell. We also played basketball on the ice! It was funny because fall every time I would take a shot because I have to jump to make a shot and I would slip and fall.

Friday: Today I went to go see my grandma’s new dog that she just got! The dog was a boy and he was fluffy. He was gray and was a puppy. We named him Smokey. We played with him and he would bite but it wouldn’t hurt. He wouldn’t bite us to hurt us, he would bite us because he was playing. It was fun!

Saturday: Today, me and my family made a snowman. The snow wasn’t that sticky but we just kept on trying to make it work. We got done with putting the body together, next we had to make the face. So we put a stick for his nose, and rocks for his eyes and a tennis ball for his mouth. We had fun making a snowman. But the next day… it melted.

Sunday: On Sunday we celebrated the new year. We ate cookies, donuts and brownies for a snack. We ate fry bread and chili for supper. Then we watched a really funny movie called “Bruce Almighty”. It was a good movie and we were happy to be together as a family.

Monday: Today I got all my stuff ready for school and prepared for school the next day. I went to bed at my normal time I would on a school night. I hoped the next day would be a good day at school. And it was a great day at school like I wanted it to be! Every day is a good day at school.

That’s what I did over Winter break!

Article posted December 19, 2011 at 07:23 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 75

There once lived a little girl who was not like the others. She was only 2 inches tall. Her name is the SNG obviously, which stands for The Small Nice Girl. The name does describe her correctly. She is a very nice girl that nobody ever talks to. So one day she decided to look for somebody to talk to and to become friends with. Nobody seemed to notice her because she was way too small. She had to figure out a way to distract the people around her. So she sat on the edge of a stair, thinking about how to distract the people. Then she had a great idea. The SNG was going to cause a crash with the cars. So the SNG got up and started to run towards the street. She stopped at the curb and said, “I hope this works because I want a real friend to have fun with.” The SNG took a deep breath and ran across the street. She made it to the other side. No crash. “What do I do now? My plan didn’t work. Nothing happened, no crash, what do I do?” The SNG thought. Then she had another idea, a new idea. A smarter idea. “Maybe I can hold something up really high while I cross the street so it will cause a bigger distraction.” The SNG thought. So she looked around for something to hold up to distract the people in the cars. Then she saw a stick. Perfect for her little body to pick up. The SNG was going to use the stick to distract the cars. So the SNG grabbed the stick and got ready to cross until someone said, “hey, are you a real person? You are very small.” The SNG didn’t know who that person was talking to. But the SNG was guessing the person was talking to her because the SNG is very small. “Are you talking to me?” the SNG asked. “Sure I am. Why are you so small?” the girl asked as she walked toward the SNG. “Hmm, I don’t know. Do you want to go somewhere else to talk? It’s too loud by the street.” The SNG asked. “Sure. Any ways, what is your name?” the girl asked as she picked the SNG in her hands. “Wow! You really want to know my name? Nobody ever wanted to know my name! My name is SNG. That stands for the Small Nice Girl.” The SNG answered. “Cool! My name is Kate. That stands for always friends.” Kate said nicely. The SNG and Kate became friends officially. “So, are you hungry? I’ll get you a burger from McDonalds.” Kate offered. “Yeah, I am very hungry. What’s McDonalds?” The SNG asked. “What? You never had been to McDonalds?” Kate asked. “Well, no because I am too small and I don’t have money.” The SNG said. “Oh, I see. Let’s go right now then and you can get whatever you want there.” Kate offered. They went off to McDonalds and got what they wanted. But the SNG got what she really wanted, a real friend.

The End!

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 07:07 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 74

Mr. Monson is the best teacher a child can have. Nobody would ever want to leave that classroom. I want Mr. Monson to be a teacher forever so a lot of other children can see how AWESOME this teacher is. Mr. Monson, continue to be the awesome teacher you are! Keep up the good teaching! You ROCK!

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 06:48 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 191

One day I was walking to the store to get a couple of things for my mom. As I was walking, I saw a strange man. He was walking around and was looking at every body’s pockets. “Hmm… what is he doing?” I wondered. Then I knew. He was a pick pocketer! I had to do something about it! But then I thought again, “I’m only in 5th grade. I don’t think I can stop a bad guy at this age.” I shook my head and continued walking. I finally got to the store. I walked in and I noticed that there weren’t very many people here at the store.

“Hey Jake! Where is everybody?” I asked the store worker. “I don’t know. All I heard is that someone in this store is a pick pocket person.” Jake answered.

“Really? Hmm, that’s interesting because I think I just saw one walking down the sidewalk looking in everybody’s pockets.” I said. “That is pretty interesting. Let me know when you see him again. I want you to come to me right away so I can see what that person looks like.” Jake suggested.

“Okay. Wait one more thing before I go. If you want to know if it’s a boy or girl, he’s a boy.” I told Jake as I walked out the door. I just remembered something, “Great, I forgot to get groceries.” I thought. I started to walk back to the store. But then, I saw the pick pocketer again. “I don’t know what to do. Should I go back to the store and tell Jake? Or should I try and stop the pick pocketer?” I thought to myself. I made my decision. I decided to stop the pick pocketer. I walked across the street and followed the pick pocketer. He was grabbing so much stuff from people’s pockets. I knew he would get away with lots of stuff. So I started to run. I finally caught up to him then I tapped him on the shoulder. He looked back and said,

“Oh hello little girl. How are you on this fine day?” He asked. “Ok for one thing, I’m not a little girl. Second, you are a pick pocketer. I know you are I saw you looking in people’s pockets.”I said bravely.

“What are you talking about? I’m afraid you must be mistaken. I, never in my life have I stole from every one or anything.” The pick pocketer lied.

“I know for a fact that you are a pick pocketer and I can prove it. I also saw you earlier steeling from other people’s pockets. You look exactly the same.” I said.

(Pick pocketer leans down close to me)

“Look here little girl, what makes you think you can go around accusing people about things they have not done?” The pick pocketer lied. I was now very mad at the man.

“Ok look, you can just scurry along here for now, but eventually I will catch you again. I am always watching.” I warned. I started to walk away until I realized what I had just done, I had just let the pick pocketer go! I knew I had to stop him, and this time I wouldn’t let him go. I started running until someone said my name. I knew who it was, it was Jake.

“Karee, where are you running off to? I need some help.” Jake yelled

“I can’t right now Jake, I was….. Ummm well, oh fine then.” I yelled back. I walked to the store and went in with Jake. As I walked in, I say a man with the same coat as the pick pocketer.

“That can’t be the pick pocketer, he is way taller than him.” I thought. I looked again then I saw who it was. It was the pick pocketer.

“Jake, that’s him. That’s the pick pocketer.” I whispered to Jake.

“Are you sure?” Jake asked.

“Yup. I’m positive.” I answered. Jake walked slowly toward the pick pocketer. He said,

“Sir, hello I am Jake and can I help you with anything?”

“No. I am perfectly fine. All I want to say is… bye!” the pick pocketer said. He ran and got away.”Ok. I guess that was a little too adventurous for me!” I said. The End!

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 07:34 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 68

I have an awesome auntie. Her name Is Elizabeth. She likes to be called Liz or Lizzy. She helps me out with a lot of things. For example, she helps me with homework, cooking and cleaning. She is very fun to be around. She plays a lot of games with me like, mother may I or, red light green light. She is a very good singer as well. When I turn on the radio, she starts singing. Her singing is very beautiful. I think she could be on the x factor, (a singing show). I love to hang out with her because we like to talk about stuff. She talks about what I need to know about when I go into middle school. Now I know what I need to look out for in middle school. She also talks about stuff I don’t really want to talk about with other people, she understands me when I talk about those things. I really love her because she is very, very special to me.

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 07:05 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 62

I love swimming! Hi I’m Karee and this story is about… well, you know. First of all I want to begin the story about where I like to swim. Ok, a place I love to swim is the lake. I like swimming there because on a really hot day, you’re just so hot that you want to jump in an iced pool. So, people like me and you go down to the lake and cool off. I go down in the lake all the time in the summer with my friend Snowflake. We go out so far that we have to tred water and it would be 32 feet. Just kidding. Anyways, back to the story…….. We would go out so far, that when we touched the bottom, we would have to touch the bottom with the very tip of our toes and we would have to stretch our necks because if we didn’t, ever part of our body would be in the water. But most of the time we stay in a little more shallow. I also like swimming in a local pool because you can bring a lot of stuff in the pool and you wouldn’t necessarily lose it. Also, when you’re in the deep end of the pool and you can’t reach the bottom, you can just hang on to the edge of the pool and scoot around. I also like swimming in a pool because you can wear goggles and you can see better underwater with them on. Also I like swimming in a pool because when you bring a ball and you through it around you don’t have to worry about it going way too far. When Snowflake is with me when we swim in a pool I like to go underwater with my goggles on and grab her leg. She would then scream and I would pop out of the water and she would hit me and we would both laugh. Swimming is fun. Especially when you’re with friends and family!

The end!

 I am thankful for having a family that is truthful to around and to take care of me.

 I am thankful for friends to be around and to talk to.

 I am thankful for having a house so I can live and have shelter.

 I am thankful for the food we have so we can have a good healthy life.

 I’m thankful for having pets so I won’t be so lonely when I am home alone.

 I am thankful for native dancing because it always makes me happy.

 I am thankful for school so we can learn and maybe/probably go to college.

 I am thankful for teachers to teach us what we need to know.

 I am thankful for books to read when I need information on something.

 I am thankful for all the veterans that fought for us and that made this country a free country.

 I am thankful for fire to keep us warm and to cook food on.

 I am thankful for life. So we can be a community.

Hey, did you know that about 25 million kids are overweight in the USA? This happens because kids and teens aren’t getting the exercise, vitamins and minerals they need. If you want to eat better and lose some weight here are a few tips,

Try to drink lots of water so you can stay hydrated. You also should know that you need to eat breakfast every morning so that it gets your brain going. When you are eating healthy foods, you should eat different kinds so you can get the vitamins and minerals you need. Drink low-fat milk other then sugary drinks. When you are eating bread and cereal in the morning, try to eat whole grain cereal so that you won’t have to worry that much about sugary cereals. You should try to eat very small amounts of pop, candy, chips, cake cookies and salad dressings such as ranch. When you are eating a healthy meal, you should turn off the television, computer or any electronic games so you can focus on your eating other that screen time. When you are eating at restaurants you should not eat fried food and don’t supersize your food either so you won’t have to worry that much about gaining weight. But, remember to always get at least 1 hour of exercise each day. I hope you follow all of these examples because you will be very healthy if you do!

Me and my best friend Snowflake love to go biking together. We go all the time. One time we biked all the way up to Inger tower from two blocks up from Nettleton school, Duluth Minnesota. When we go biking, we sort of have an argument about where we should go. So we would just ride our bikes until we get somewhere. Sometimes we ride our bikes down to the lake and play there for a while. Then when we would have our bikes back up the hill, we would say, I’m tired. Sometimes we would be so tired we would stop at every block and rest. Another time we biked out west from Duluth Minnesota. We didn’t know where we were. I looked at the sign to see where we were. Then I said, ”Oh my gosh we’re out west!” Then snowflake said, “WHAT!? Don’t you know the way back?” Then I said, “No! Wait, if you asked me if I knew the way back then you don’t either right?” Snowflake said, “We’re lost!” Then I said, “ wait, maybe we should go down a couple blocks, then we might know where we are. So then we went down two blocks. Still, I didn’t know where we were. So we went down three more blocks. Then me and snowflake knew where we were. I said, “hey! We’re by Lincoln school! That means we’re by my old house. I know the way back home because I always wanted to spend the night at your house and so my mom would drive me and I remembered the way! Plus, I live one block up from you.” Then Snowflake said, “I know the way too.” So then we both rode our bikes back home. We both learned that if we’re ever going to go biking again, at least one of us has to know that way back.

Article posted October 12, 2011 at 07:11 PM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 44

Dancing with Larry Yazzie was a great opportunity. It was a Native dance project. I had a jingle dress and moccasins and all the other outfit things that go with it. I like to be Native because I love dancing at Pow-wows. There were lots of people but I wasn’t nervous at all. I was really happy to be on stage. At first I thought there would be a lot more people. When I was on stage and dancing, I didn’t try to push myself to make me look better, I just did what I know and enjoyed it. I had a great time dancing with Larry Yazzie at St. Scholastica!

At forestry field day, we did lots of fun things like watch a guy named Bob saw wood, learned about trees and sat and observed the beautiful forest and wrote a few things about it. We also learned about mammal animal skins and animal skulls. Also there was a man that was a fire fighter. He taught us about what fire needs. Another person taught us about different type of soil. We learned about three different types of soil, sand mud (clay) and silt. We had a great time a forestry field day!

Article posted October 12, 2011 at 06:50 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 57

Hi, this is a story all about me obviously. So let me tell you all about it!

I love my family. They really care about me and help me out with things. My mom is really loving and caring. She takes me out shopping when I need stuff and she helps me out with my homework too. I really, really love her. My step-dad is awesome. He’s really smart and takes me and my siblings fun places. He also helps me out with some technology stuff. I love him so much. My sister looks up to me. She says she wants to be just like me when she grows up. She loves to hang out with me too. I love her so much. My brother is funny. He can make up a joke about anything! I really love him. That’s my awesome family.

I love my cute pets. They listen a lot. Right now I have two pets. A cat and a bird. My bird is a cockatiel. His name is Petey and he is 9 years old. He has a yellow head, orange circles where his cheeks are, white squiggly lines on his wings and the rest is gray. I taught him this, when I would say pretty bird and clap my hands, he would bend down and put out his wings as if her were ready to fly. He lets me pet him too. When we let him out, he would fly on my shoulders and visit me. But we put my cat Zoe in a room where she can’t get out. She is grey, white and a peachy color. She’s almost one year old and she loves to play with me! She can play fetch like a dog. But in a cute way. She also likes to lay by me at night. I love her. Pets are awesome!

I love music. Music is creative. I like to dance to music. When I’m bored and have nothing to do, I turn on the radio and do something while I listen to music, like color or play a video game. My favorite song is Moves like Jagger by Maroon 5. Sometimes I like to go to the park and listen to music on my mp3 player. I have lots of favorite songs because I love music!

I go on lots of trips. One of my trips was to Michigan. I go there to visit my cousins and other relatives. We have lots of fun. Another trip was to Grand Portage for a pow-wow. I am Native American and I have a pow-wow dancing outfit .The trip was long but we had a great time. I also went to Minneapolis. I have cousins and relatives down there too. I went there to visit and we went to the Mall Of America. We had an AWESOME time! Another time I went down there I visited and went to the State Fair. It was Amazing! Those are my trips!

The End

Article posted October 12, 2011 at 06:49 PM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 51

My hope and dream is to be better at long division by spending more time on it.

My goal is to win a race or marathon by paying attention in gym and doing exercises before I race.

My dream is to become an artist. I will accomplish this by paying attention in art and keep on practicing.

My dream is to be in a spelling bee. I will accomplish this by studying the dictionary and getting all good grades on my spelling tests.

My hope and dream is to be a worker in a science museum. I will accomplish this by always participating in all school science projects.

I hope I can do way better on fractions this year.

I hope I can read better this year and understand what I’m reading this year.

I hope I learn a lot more about history and my cultures history this year.

I hope I learn and remember all the states and capitals in the United States this year.

I hope I earn a lot of privileges this year.

I hope I can go on a lot of field trips this year.

I hope I can learn a lot more about reading this year.

I hope I turn in every page of homework this year.

I hope I make a lot of new friends this year.

I hope I will make it past 5th grade!

My name is Karee. I like to play basketball with friends. I also like to go biking. I am a great actor as well. Also, I love to read! My favorite book is Sideways Stories from Wayside school by Louis Sachar. Its a great book!!! That's a few things about me!!!