Copyright (c) 2014 by IB Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
IB -- Blogmeister

All About Ivy

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by IB

teacher: Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

Hope and Dreams: The Narrative

So this is my Hope and Dreams narrative. I’m hoping it is as good as I think it should be. Now please turn off any devices you might have and turn your attention to My Hopes and Dreams narrative! Here we go...

Since I was a younger kid I have had really good grades and I would like to keep it that way. So I should focus on learning and fill my brain up to full limit with things I need to know.

I’m not that good at fractions STILL but I am getting better with the help of my friends and focusing on what the teacher tells me.

I should be good at turning in homework but the thought of that is no, I do not turn homework in on time all the time. So I should be a lot more ‘organized’.

The Fit and Fun Run is coming up soon so I should train by running around the block and eating very healthy foods. So I can finish out alive.

I’m getting into the habit to joining more after school things and cooperating in them.

Now you may leave in the left exit. I hope you enjoyed the show! Thank you see you again soon!

One day, in a far away land, there lived a unicorn family. There was mom unicorn, dad unicorn, and of course Fred The mischief unicorn.

Fred would always end up making a big mess and destroy something each day. “You need to learn your manners young unicorn.” Said the great unicorn of them all (oldest). But the older unicorns cheered him on. So when he got cheered, he got courage to do something mischief again.

So one night while everyone was sleeping, Fred got up from out of his sleeping area and snuck out into the wilderness. Fred got it all planned out. First he would pull the trap he made and block the owl’s way and think it is a trap and he will screech and make everyone wake up. It was great! He thought. It would be the best of them all.

But it didn’t go as planned. When he got the trap all set and when old wise owl went to go back home Fred pulled the rope and the board barely hit him and the owl didn’t notice. But some hunters got smacked in the head with the wood and noticed that Fred was holding the rope the hunters loaded their guns. (They thought it would be billions of dollars to have a unicorn to sell.

But Fred saw the hunters and turned around and started to run but the hunters got him in time. The sleeping shot made Fred drowsy after awhile and fell to the ground. Unfortunately the hunters found him and dragged him into the barred cage they made and locked him into the cage. The car roared with life and drove away with Fred in the back of their trunk. “We would get lots of money if we sold him to the- the circus!” The hunter who was driving said. “We would sell him to the highest bitter of money each circus in town wants to sell that thing for!”

After some hours Fred woke up. He banged on the cage but it would not open. He thought for a minute then remembered when the older unicorns got trapped they pushed the cage over and it fell out of the car. He started to budge the cage. It was moving! He was happy. When he was on the edge he did one more push and PLOP! Down went the cage with him in it. The cage rolled and rolled. After it stopped Fred was able to manage to open it he squeezed through the door and he popped out. He was free! He bounced and bounced but then realized he would have to run a long way until he got home. But he had to do it. So he started to walk.

Hours and hours passed and soon he saw the forest smack dab in front of him. He was home.

What are the best books I have read

• Warriors series

• Un Lun Dun

• Shel Sylverstein poet Books

• First Aid

• Ham Radio For Dummies

• Artemis Fowl series

• The Backwards Bird Dog

Who are the people I Influence in my life

• Parents

• Grandparents

• Great grandpa

• Cousins

• Aunts, Uncles

• Teachers

• Friends

• My brother and sister

What are goals and accomplishments

I would like to reach or attain this year

• Read more books than last year

• Accomplish 5th grade

• Make more than 1 friend this year

• Turn in all my homework this year

• Help more than one person this year

• Clean up garbage around the neighborhood

What are acts of kindness I do

As a gift

• Being nice to one another

• Helping the people in need

• Giving and not receiving

• Greeting the people passing by

• Helping other people if they lost something

Places I would like to visit if time

And money were not an object

• Inside of a story book

• Into the sea

• Inside of a bubble that never pops

• At a pet store

• Traveling through space

• Having a picnic on an elephants back

• On an unfound island

• At the circus

What I’m good at or like to do

• Drawing

• Writing stories

• Reading

• Getting work done

• Following the rules

• Making friends

• Making other people happy

Portion Plate

It is important for everyone in the world to be healthy. But unfortunately 25 million kids age 2-19 are overweight. That’s why it is good to sleep 8 hours or more, have breakfast every morning, eat 4 food groups for lunch and dinner. Exercising and being outside for 60 minutes or more a day.

Eating can be healthy or unhealthy, but healthy is better for you, have all kinds of foods (like expanding your variety), and all kinds of colors of fruits and veggies. Lunch from school isn’t that healthy, it would be better if you pack a lunch from home. Some foods from a restaurant are bad for you so it is good to have a homemade lunch.

The more bad (or junk or fast food) you eat the more your body gets tired and sick, you start to get bellyaches and so on. Try to eat colorful and healthy foods so you feel better, grow more and live longer. And so you don’t get dehydrated, drink a lot of water so you don’t get dehydrated. I hope you learned a lot and follow the tips I gave.

Article posted September 30, 2011 at 03:57 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 44

Some of the groups we went to had vocabulary some of the words were: forestry, sand, clay, silt, middens and identification.

At Hartley I learned some facts like: trees at the bottom grow outward and at the top it grows up and you can tell how old the tree is with how many rings it has.

Bob cut trees with a machine and made a lot of saw dust and a loud noise. And when red and grey squirrels took the middens off of the acorn the seeds would fall and make new baby trees.

Wes showed us some fire tools that helped stop fire from burning more.

When I was in the woods I saw a lot of things like: a maple tree, and red ferns and minoes, birds, dead animal furs, and bones. Along the way I heard some birds, and people and crunching leaves from peoples feet.

When we had lunch we had a PB and J with chips and milk when we were done we loaded on bus 395 and went back to school.

I love dogs, and art. My favorite food is my moms homemade chicken alfredo. And I love music and my ferret, Daisy.