Copyright (c) 2014 by AA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
AA -- Blogmeister

Abbie's Abmormally Absurd Awesomeness

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by AA

teacher: Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

Crazy wind

Crazy wind whistles

howls searching through all the trees

searching for the storm.

Waves

The waves hit the beach

with the force of a giant whale

breaking shells and rocks.

Limericks

There once was a mean old cat

who was considered quite a brat

every one new

and the people did too

and behind his back he was called fat.

“Houston we have a problem” staying healthy has become a serious problem for kids so here is my essay, and my mission to get you informed da da da dum.

One of the problems we have is our portion plate. About 25million kids are overweight so to help stay healthy you can…

• You can have half of your plate designated to fruits and veggies( yummy broccoli )

• Then ¼ of it should be protein ( beans, chicken ,beef, turkey( should be sung to the tune of the ABCs ))

• And then the rest bread! Oh I mean grain oops!

At restraints the food tends to be less healthy so here are some pointers to eating healthier! There too!

• When eating at places like McDonalds and burger king try to skip “ the triple stacker king size and go for the plain burger( boring, I know but it’s worth it )

• Soda is a uncalled for extra 140 calories so leave it alone and go for juice of milk ( milk is a good source of calcium , if your bones could talk they would sing you praises )

• Skip the fries if you can of split them but remember they may taste good but they arnt your best friend!!!

Type two diabetes is a record high among children so to keep 5the number from rising do your best to cut back on filler foods such as cookies , chips , pop , and candy before meals and just in general!

Try to eat a rainbow of foods tan foods potatoes and other no colorful foods do not make a colorful rainbow (at all!)

Well I hope I completed my mission! And that you learned a lot!

(it sounds cheesy but hey who cares !)

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 06:57 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 77

So I was home sick and had found it very hard to have a retainer in your mouth and suck on a cough drop at the same time. I got up my retainer in one hand and my empty water cup in the other. I set my retainer down and a plump little fairy in an outfit that looked suspiciously like a star trek uniform popped up holding a giant rainbow lollipop. She brushed herself off and started inspecting my retainer “ Hmm it’s a little wet but nothing we can’t take care of” she took a big lick of her lollipop and turned to face me. “My name is Agent T from the anti tooth fairy department of awfulness ATFDA for short. Our mission is to get your fairy mad at you for losing your retainer so then they will give up on you. So ha ha ha” she took one more lick of her lollipop grabbed my retainer and said “peace out sucker” and disappeared lollipop retainer and all.

I’m thankful for…

• The magical smell of the farm on thanksgiving.

• The whole family gathered around the dining room table playing cards.

• The smell of my dad’s bread when I wake up in the morning.

• The barn cats all nestled up in the barn at the farm.

• Apple, Banana, and tugboat my favorite cows in the world.

• My friends who laugh at my jokes.

• My mom who reads to us every night.

• Those few seconds when you’re sledding and you feel like you’re flying.

• My grandma Margret bars that melt in your hand right before you can eat them.

• My cats you are constantly thinking of ways to make us laugh.

• Our lake that is so cold its perfect for dunking contests.

• My little brother who is constantly making jokes I don’t understand.

• The grandfather clock in Maine that whenever it chimes the hour it wakes you up but you love it anyway.

• Hot chocolate and a movie on a cold winter night.

• The beach’s in Maine were everyone thinks were polar bears to go in the water but it’s a lot warmer then lake superior.

• The warm summer nights where you stay out late and roast marshmallows over the fire pit.

Article posted October 12, 2011 at 06:54 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 57

My Hopes and Dreams are…

By Abbie

1. I hope to learn more about historic events I can do this by doing independent study.

2. I hope to learn more about fractions I can do this by practicing at home.

3. I hope to learn more about pre algebra I can do this by working hard at home.

4. I hope to learn more about world war one and how it got started I can do this by doing an independent study on it.

5. I hope to get better at spelling, I can do this by practicing at home.

Article posted October 6, 2011 at 03:59 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 73

I am from a family of fun loving, bread baking, joking, writing, people. My mom is going back to college at Hamline University in Minneapolis, she is getting a masters degree in writing so she can teach writing at colleges. She grew up in Winslow Maine with an older brother and a mother who hated humane oils on the furniture. Dad is known in the city of Duluth as the “bread man” for the phenomenal bread he bakes. Using his skill and the 12 loafs of bread he makes the barters for things like granola, haircuts, and coffee.

Some people say that I have 8 pets (2 cats 6 chickens) but I say I have 9 because I have a little brother! Milo is 8 years old and in 3rd grade so he is two years younger than me. He likes lawn gnomes, history documentaries and the stock market and all things business. My parents and I think his long term goal is to rule the world.

I have 6 chickens their names are, Buffy the raccoon slayer, Pip squeak, Marshmallow, Dusty and the chicks Barney and Barbie. I also have two cats Minou, she is a tabby and is kind of fat, and Newfie who is all black and getting friendlier as she gets older. They are very sweet but can be very fierce we have gotten good at avoiding them when they’re claws are out they are really sharp! We also used to have a man eating fish named Big Scary Fish; he ate the other fish in his tank. But he went to a better home where there were a lot more fish to eat.

Some of my favorite hobbies are reading, writing, beading and acting. I like reading historic fiction, historic, fantasy and realistic fiction. These are the kinds of things I like to write, too. I like beading lots of things like necklaces and bracelets. I have been in a few plays at Teatro Zuccone such as “Fezziwigs Feast” and the “Cranes Wife”.

I have a list of things that I want to be when I grow up. I want to be a writer! I am full of ideas. I want to be a history teacher, I find history so interesting. I also want to be a genealogist, because it is also so exciting. I also want to be an an actress so I can be on stage.

I am am amateur radio operator (or a ham radio operator whatever you want to call it) that means I can talk to people on the radio. I put my license into action this summer at grandma’s marathon. My father also had a license. We drove down to the 16-mile mark of the race to go with another guy to set up the radios and contact the First Aid if help was needed. I was the one to talk to the First Aid about a hypothermic case we had!

Once a year we go to Maine to see my grandmother and grandfather, Memére and Pepére (pronounced like Mem-may and Pep-pay). They speak French and can’t pronounce our last name to save their lives! In Maine we swim and say hi to all our relatives on my mom’s side. We even see some of her high school friends.

I do three sports: soccer, judo and skiing. I play soccer for the Chester Park Lancers. I do Judo on First Street. I also ski at Chester with the rest of the family.

I hope you enjoyed learning all about me!

Article posted October 4, 2011 at 04:03 PM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 64

My mom my brother and I brought the last load from the car to be camping site and started setting up. We were camping at Madeline island wall my dad was in Cambodia, and so far so good we dropped are stuff on the worn green picnic table. We grabbed the tent and started putting it up Milo babbled on and on about how cool the fairy that goes to Madeline Island we talked about how great it was to have a camping trip in the woods. We finally put up the last tent pole and about 300 mosquitoes came out we all made a mad dash for the tent flap and scrambled in all panting from are dash we sat in silence for a while then Milo said the worst thing we could think of “I’m hungry” mom and I and Milo bundle up in the rain gear that was in there from unloading try to cover up everything so we didn’t get bitten. We when outside and with are luck it started pouring and the malicious bitters staid out. Our camp site didn’t have a fire pit so we borrowed a grill it was about the size of two toasters and giant pain to lug around. So we worked on getting the thing started for about 15 minutes. When we finally got it started we put our hot dogs on the grill and worked on getting them cooked we did this all wall trying to not be eaten by the blood suckers. We finally finished eating and went to hide in our tent where we spent the night then left finally escaping the blood suckers and the rain.

My name is Abbie. I like to read and write. I have 2 cats and chickens! I enjoy swimming and playing soccer and down hill skiing.