Copyright (c) 2014 by HorseBackRider1 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
HorseBackRider1 -- Blogmeister

HorseBackRider1-

We are Mr. Brune's 5th Grade at Mamaroneck Avenue School in Mamaroneck, NY, USA!

by HorseBackRider1 teacher: MAS 5B 2011 - 2012
i-Prints 05/11
Miro 05/11
Final Pioneer Diary Entry 05/10
Poetry 04/24
Inquiry 03/25
Return to the Moon 03/11
Literary Essay 01/12
Self Portraits 10/21
Sculpture 12/02
Revision 11/22
School Report 10/31
Personal Narrative 10/26
A True Story From Your Life 10/21
Independent Writing 10/21

Title: Literary Essay (01/12/12)
Description: We read three short stories: "Fox" by Margaret Wild, "The Other Side" by Jacqueline Woodson, and "the dot" by Peter H. Reynolds.

We thought what each story was all about (the summary) and the big ideas and the message about life each story gave us (theme).

We thought about what the characters said or did in each story to support those big ideas and messages about life.

We thought about the big ideas and message about life from each story and thought of a connection we have had in our own life.

We also thought about a "call to action," a way for others to take the big idea and message about life and apply it to their lives.

Article posted January 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 390

Use Your Imagination and Creativity

The short story “the dot” is all about a girl named Vashti who believes she can’t make art. But after some time, Vashti finds out that she can make art!

When I reread “the dot” I realized it was all about imagination and creativity. Vasti (the girl) used her creativity to make one big dot. Later Vashti used her imagination to make all kinds of dots. Then Vashti’s imagination and creativity were on display at the art show. The story told me to always use your imagination and be creative.

When I thought about “the dot” even more I thought about my life and how I used my imagination and creativity. In 4th grade I made comic books like “The Dumb Gorilla” and “Timmy the 3 Year Old.” I used my imagination to make up the characters, what they say, and the story. I also made a popular newspaper called “The Regan News.” I found a lot of juicy stories and told them from my point of view. I wanted to use my imagination and creativity!

Who knows? Maybe you will be good at soemthing if you use your imagination and creativity!

Article posted January 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

Never Give Up

This story "the dot" is about a girl named Vashti who couldn’t draw. But then she drew one of the simplest shapes, a dot. That became her artwork. Next thing you know, she’s teaching another boy to draw!

When I reread "the dot" I realized it was all about determination. When Vashti said, “I can sign it” she was determined to show her teacher she could draw. Another way she showed determination is when she said, “Hmmph I can make more dots than that!” The last way she showed determination was when she said, “I can make a better dot than that!”

When I reread "the dot" I thought about my life and when iw as determined to do something. When I was in second grade I was very nervous to go to my first baseball practice, but I had enough determination to go out onto the field to my baseball practice. Now I help little kids in my neighborhood play baseball.

Never give up! You'll never know what you'll be able to do if you're determined!

Article posted January 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

Never Give Up

The story “the dot” is about a girl named Vashti who feels she can’t draw. Her teacher said to her, “Make a mark and see where it takes you.” So Vashti does, and then her drawings become popular.

When I reread “he dot” I thought it is mostly about determination. I think it is about determination because when Vashti was in art class she had to draw a picture, but she said, “I can’t draw.” Then her art teacher said, “Make a mark and see where it takes you.” So Vashti makes a dot on her paper. Her teacher said, “Now sign it.” Then the next day Vashti saw her dot and said, ”I can make better dots than that.” So she was determined to make more and more dots. She discovered that a blue dot mixed with a yellow dot makes a green dot. Then a few weeks later her dots are in an art show. She sees a little boy gazing up at her, and he said, “You’re a great artist. I wish I could draw.” Then Vashti said, “I bet you can.” “Me? No, not me. I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler.” the boy says. Then Vashti is determined and says, “Show me. “ She hands him a piece of paper and a pencil. The boy draws the line, and when he was finished Vashti said “Sign it.” The boy also becomes determined to do his best. So “the dot” is all about determination.

This story also reminded me of a time when I was determined. I was at camp, and I was doing the rock climbing wall. There were three levels. I did the first level. It was kind of easy, but when I got to the second level it got harder. I finished it. Then the third level was really hard, and I thought that I wasn’t going to be able to finish it. But when I climbed up, I was determined to finish it, and I did.

The lesson you can learn from "the dot" is to Never Give Up!

Article posted January 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 55

Nothing’s Impossible!

“The dot” is about a girl named Vashti. She thinks that she can’t draw until she jabs a dot onto her paper. Her art teacher hangs up her dot and puts it on a presentation board.

When I reread “the dot” I realized it was about determination. Vashti used her determination to do more things like make more dots. She mixed the colors to make new dots. Vashti was determined to make more and more dots. I think “the dot” is really all about how nothing is impossible when you put your mind to it.

When I thought about “the dot” even more, it made me think about my life. When I was younger I loved to draw. My friend and I would always draw the same thing and see whose was better. My friend’s drawings were always better. One day we kept on drawing and drawing, and his was always better. But when we copied one out of a book, mine looked like I printed it out! That drawing inspired me to keep on drawing!

I think that anybody can draw. So never give up even when other people’s drawings are always better than yours!

Article posted January 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

Friends Will Always Be There For You!

The story “The Other Side” was all about a girl named Clover who lived on the other side of a fence that separates the blacks from the whites. One day a girl named Annie sat on top of the fence and watched Annie and her friends play jump rope. Annie asked if she could play, but Clover’s friend Sandra said no. But then a few days later Annie came back and asked to play, and Clover said yes and so did Sandra. They all sat on top of the fence and became good friends.

When I reread “The Other Side” and thought more about it, I realized it was all about FREINDSHIP. No matter what the girls did, Annie just sat on the fence and watched Clover and her friends play because that’s how badly Annie wanted a friend. Even when it was raining, Annie was always somewhere near the fence just watching, maybe hoping that someone would come out and play with her. When Clover, Annie. and Sandra were all tired of playing jump rope, they all sat on the fence and watched the whole wide world around them because they had become such good friends. So “The Other Side” is really all about friendship.

When I reread “The Other Side and thought about it more, I made a connection. When I had a best friend named Lily, her parents wouldn’t let us be friends anymore. But we still remained friends no matter what happened.

No matter what happens in life, friends will always be there for you!

Article posted January 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 52

“Fox” is about a dog with one eye that finds an injured bird and takes care of it for months. Then when Magpie (the injured bird) finds a homeless fox right at the moment, Magpie hates him. Dog finds him ok. Dog likes Magpie and Magpie likes Dog. “Dog, I’m your missing eye and you are my flight!” Magpie says. But when Magpie sees Fox run she is convinced that Fox is faster than Dog. But that was a bad idea Magpie! Fox strands Magpie in a desert.

The story “Fox” is really about making new friendships. One animal, Dog, makes friends with another character, Magpie. The other character, Fox, finally gets to have revenge by tricking Magpie to ride on his back. Then Fox strands Magpie. “How do you like it being alone?!” said Fox. Magpie went hopping back home, hoping to be with Dog again. So “Fox” is really about making new friends.

When I thought about “Fox” even more it reminded me of a good old friend. His name was Xavier. We had been friends since day-care. He was a good friend. Obsessed with Nickelodeon, but a good friend. But over the past years, we never called, met, nor texted. Now I know it is always important to make new friends.

Now go out there and make new friends forever!

Article posted January 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

Follow True Friends

The story “Fox” is all about these two friends. Dog saved Magpie from a fire, and dog couldn’t see with one of his eyes. Magpie got scorched. So when Dog runs, Magpie says, “Magpie is Dog’s missing eye, and Dog is Magpie’s scorched wing.” Then this devious Fox convinces Magpie into riding him. Then Fox brings Magpie to the desert and leaves her in the desert with the hot sun. Magpie does not stay in the desert; she hops right back home to dog.

The story “fox” is really about true friends. First, Magpie said, “That dog is Magpie’s scorched wing, and Magpie is Dog’s missing eye.” In the middle, Dog offers food and shelter to Magpie. In the end, Magpie does not stay in the desert, she hops back to Dog. So the story “Fox,” is really all about believing in your true friends.

When I reread “Fox” I thought about my own life and how I have been a true friend. When my family gets hurt, I help them with their injuries. I make sure the bleeding stops. Then they usually start to feel better, which makes me happy. I learned it’s not always to care about yourself, but to take care of others even if they’re a classmate or somebody in our MAS family. That’s what true friends do.

Who knows when you’re going to make a true friend or when you’re going to become a true friend to others!

Article posted January 23, 2012 at 10:09 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

There was a girl, Voshti in a story called “the dot,” and she couldn’t draw. Her art teacher said, “Just make a dot.” Then the girl signed it. The next day the girl saw her dot above the teacher’s desk. Then she made a lot of dots. At the art show there was a boy. He couldn’t draw a line with a ruler. Then the girl said draw a line and sign it, and he did.

When I reread “the dot” I realized it was all about being successful. Voshti succeeded when she did the dot and then when Voshti made more dots. Also, when a little boy made the line, he succeeded. So, “the dot” is really all about how you will succeed if you try.

When I thought about the dot a lot more, I thought about my life and it reminded me about when I got a skateboard. I thought I couldn’t ride it. I tried hard. I succeeded.

So, if you try you can succeed.

Article posted January 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 57

The story "the dot" is about a girl named Vashti who thought she couldn’t draw. Then her art teacher told her to draw a line and see where it takes her. After, the art teacher told her to sign it. Vashti kept practicing drawing dots. She drew all kinds of dots: big, small, and all different colors. Finally, Vashti realized that she could draw well. At the end of the story, a little boy told her that she was a great artist. He wished that he could draw like her. So, Vashti gave him a blank paper and told him the same thing her teacher told her, “Make a mark.”

When I reread “the dot” I realized it was all about never saying never. Vashti said she couldn’t draw, but she never really tried to draw. Then, the art teacher said to make a dot. When she first made a dot she was happy, and she made a lot more dots. Vashti practiced drawing and got better at it. So, “the dot” is really all about never giving up.

"The dot" reminded me of learning how to play the clarinet for the first time. I thought I was bad at playing it, but I didn’t stop practicing. By the end of 4th grade, I was pretty good at it. This is just how Vashti felt when she thought she couldn’t draw. I learned to never give up.

It’s important to keep practicing when you’re learning something new. Do not get discouraged, and just keep practicing and never give up.

Article posted January 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

The story “the dot,” is about a girl named Vashti. She thought and said she couldn’t draw. Her art teacher told her just to make a mark and see where it takes her. When Vashti jabs her pencil on the paper, she asks her to sign it. Vashti says, “Well, maybe I can’t draw but I CAN sign my name.” Then when she had art class the next week, she was surprised to see the dot she had drawn hanging above her art teacher’s desk. It was her dot, all framed in swirly gold. When she saw it, she thought to her self, “Hmmph! I can make a better dot than that!” She made a beautiful piece of all different colored dots. When it got a very big “splash” at the art show, Vashti saw a younger boy gazing up at her. “You’re a really good artist,” he said, “I wish I could draw.” Then Vashti said, “I bet you can.” “No, not me, I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler.” “Show me.” She said. She then looked at the squiggle line and said tothe boy, “Now sign it.”

When I re-read “the dot” more carefully, I thought it was all about determination. Determination comes up throughout the book: First, Vashti’s art teacher is determined to show her that she can be a really good artist if she puts her mind to it. When Vashti sees her dot hanging above her art teacher’s desk, she is very determined to make better art, and is starting to have confidence in her self. Then, at the art show when everyone loves her “dot” painting, she has a lot of confidence in her self. Then when she sees the little boys gazing up at her and telling her how good of an artist she is, she’s determined to teach the little boy the same lesson her art teacher taught her.

As I said before, when I re-read “the dot” I thought it was about determination. It shows when Vashti got very determined to do something and she stuck with it, she got very good at it. I just started doing horseback riding. I remember after my second lesson telling my mom it was too hard. I didn’t want to do it anymore even though I really liked doing it, and I love horses. Then my mom told me that I’m never going to get good at it if I don’t try. My horseback riding teacher told me it’s just like if you went in to kindergarden and they gave me algebra homework. I went back and felt more confident, and now I love horseback riding. The lesson my mom taught me reminded me of the lesson Vashti’s art teacher taught her and the lesson Vashti taught to the boy: You’ll never get good at something if you don’t put you’re mind to it.

Who knows what you’ll try and you might find a love and talent you never knew was there if you’re determined!

Article posted January 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 49

Don’t Be A Downer!

The story, called “the dot,” is all about a girl named Vashti who thinks that she can’t draw. Vashti is in the art room, and the art teacher comes to her. Nothing is on her paper. Vashti thinks she can’t draw. The art teacher just tells her to make a mark and sign it. Vashti does that and makes a dot. Also, she helps a little boy who said that he can’t draw. But Vashti helps him.

When I reread “the dot” I realized it was all about determination. I think it was about determination because Vashti was determined to make a mark when her teacher told her to. Also, the next time Vashti went to art class she was determined to make a better picture than the other one she made. Also, in the end Vashti was determined to teach a little boy how to draw. So “the dot” is really all about never giving up, and you should keep on trying.

I’m connected to this story because once I never gave up, and I kept on trying. It was my turn to go on a rock climbing wall. It was so tall! I wanted to go to the hard side of the rock wall so I did. I tried getting all the way up but I couldn't. I kept on trying and trying and finally I got to the top. This memory connects me to “the dot” because I was determined, I never gave up, and I kept on trying.

So never be a downer! Always believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything! Like Vashti in “the dot,” she said she couldn’t draw and now she can.

Article posted January 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

“The Other Side” is about an African American girl named Clover who lives on the other side of a fence. On the other side of the fence live all the white people and a little girl named Annie. Annie always sits on her side of the fence and watches the other side of it. One day Annie asks to play with Clover but before Clover can say anything her friend Sandra says no. A couple of days later, Clover went up to Annie and started sitting on the fence with her. They sat on the fence all through summer. One day when Clover and Annie asked to play jump rope with Sandra she says, “I don’t care,” so Clover, Annie, and Sandra all play jump rope together.

I think “The Other Side” is really a story about courage. Annie has courage to ask Clover and Sandra to play jump rope. Clover had courage to watch Annie play in the rain even though her mom would get mad if she saw Clover staring at Annie. Clover had courage to sit on the fence with Annie not knowing if she was allowed to. In this story it mostly teaches you to have courage and never give up.

When I thought about “The Other Side” even more it connected to my life because of the courage in the story. It reminded me when I had a lesson on a horse named Diva that I hadn't ridden since I fell off of her. I was really nervous because the last time I really hurt my back, but I had courage to get back on. In the story Clover had courage to sit on the fence even though she wasn’t supposed to. We both had courage to do things, and that’s why I connected to the story “The Other Side.”

No matter what people say, you should always have courage and never give up!

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 40

Determination

“The dot” is all about a girl named Vaschti. When she was in art class she got frustrated because she thought she couldn’t draw until her teacher told her to make a dot and see where it takes her. She jabbed the paper hard and left. The next day her dot was above her teacher’s desk. She thought she could make a much better dot than that so she went experimenting and made a big masterpiece. They showed her art at an art show. A young boy thought she was great but also thought he couldn’t draw. But Vaschti told him to draw a line and sign his name on it which soon made him determined too.

When I reread “the dot” I knew it was all about determination. Vaschti was determined to make a great drawing. She kept making so many great dots. She said, “I can make a better dot than that!” She also never gave up to make the best dot. She was determined to show people her dot so she entered in an art show. So I think “the dot” is all about determination.

When I thought about “the dot” it totally reminded me of the time when I made a little sketch and showed it to the class. They thought it was good. I used to hate drawing, but now I love it so much. Also, in art class my teacher thought my sculpture was great so she entered mine in an art show. I might want to become an artist.

Whatever you’re doing, you can do it as long as you’re determined and put your mind to it. You can do anything!

Article posted January 20, 2012 at 09:46 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

Use Your Imagination

I just finished “the dot.” It is a real inspiring story. There is a girl named Vashti, and she thinks she can’t draw. But then her teacher fools her into drawing a dot. Every time she goes into art class, she sees the dot and draws a better one every time.

When I reread “the dot” I realized it was all about imagination. Her art teacher used her imagination when she tricked Vashti into drawing a dot. Vashti used her imagination when she created lots of different colored dots and different sized dots. Then she used her imagination when she fooled the boy into signing his artwork so he’ll be an artist just like her. That just proves that if you use your imagination, you can do anything.

When I thought about “the dot” even more I thought of my own life and how I used my imagination. When I was about six or seven, there where these days where I could not draw as good as the other days. But one day I drew the best penguin ever, and I've kept drawing better ones ever since.

If you use your imagination like Vashti in “the dot,” you can do anything!

Article posted January 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!

“The dot” is about a girl named Vashti who can’t draw. Her teacher convinced Vashti to make a mark and she did. Then her teacher said, “Sign it.” The next day Vashti was inspired to make more and more dots. At school a few weeks later there was an art show and Vashti’s art was there. Vashti noticed a boy looking at her. The boy said, “You are a really good artist. I wish I can draw.” “I bet you can,” said Vashti. “Me? No. not me.” Vashti smiled and said to the boy, “Show me.” The boy drew a line, not a straight one, but a line. Vashti looked at the boy’s line. Then she said, “Sign it.”

When I reread “the dot” I realized it was all about determination. It is all about determination because Vashti was determined to draw a dot in art class. Once she could draw the dot she was determined to draw more. Then at the art show a boy came up to her and said he couldn’t draw, so Vashti was determined to teach that boy how to draw like her teacher did to her. So “the dot” is really about anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

When I reread the “the dot” again I realized that I could do much more in my life. I realized I have talent that some people don't have. I can play violin. That's why I should use my talent, but I haven't used my talent. My older cousin encouraged me to use it like in “the dot.” I became really good at playing violin just like Vashti became good at drawing dots. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Always remember that you can become good at something if you’re determined.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 02:32 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 149

Friendship

The story “The Other Side” is about two girls who are two different races. The two girls are next door neighbors, but in that time black and whites could not be together so there was a giant fence that separated the two girls. Then one day the black girl ran up to the white girl and said hi. Then they started to hang out. Eventually they became friends.

When I reread “The Other Side,” I thought it was all about friendship. In the story the two girls wanted to be friends, but they couldn't be friends because they were two different races. Also, when one of the girls was playing jump rope, the white girl came to play, but the black girl’s friend rejected the white girl's friendship. In the end, the girls became friends. In the story I learned a message: In life it doesn’t matter who you are, but you can always make friends.

This story relates to my life when I was in kindergarten. Back when I was five, I had no friends. Then I met a kid named Vicente. We were both different in many ways, but just like the two girls, we became friends.

So if there is someone that you don’t like, who knows, you might like him/her. So what are you waiting for, go talk to him/her!