Copyright (c) 2014 by MonkeyFreak#1 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MonkeyFreak#1 -- Blogmeister

MonkeyFreak#1-

We are Mr. Brune's 5th Grade at Mamaroneck Avenue School in Mamaroneck, NY, USA!

by MonkeyFreak#1 teacher: MAS 5B 2011 - 2012
i-Prints 05/11
Miro 05/11
Final Pioneer Diary Entry 05/10
Poetry 04/24
Inquiry 03/25
Return to the Moon 03/11
Literary Essay 01/12
Self Portraits 10/21
Sculpture 12/02
Revision 11/22
School Report 10/31
Personal Narrative 10/26
A True Story From Your Life 10/21
Independent Writing 10/21

Title: Personal Narrative (10/26/11)
Description: More true stories from our lives!

Before writing them we worked on:
- selecting a topic;
- making memory charts (who? what? where? when? why?);
- timelines with transitions;
- gathering sensory details and dialogue;
- organizing the narrative into a beginning paragraph (Introduction), middle paragraph(s)(body), and ending paragraph (conclusion),
- and thinking of an interesting title that catches the reader's attention.

Which personal narratives are as fresh and vivid to you as they probably were to the writer? What did the writer do to make them so fresh and vivid?

Article posted January 9, 2012 at 09:13 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

Hurricanes bug me sometimes. I really do not like the rain. But this time was nice. This is when I started to like hurricanes!

"Kids?!" my mom called from upstairs. "Grandma and your aunt and your uncle might loose power or get flooded so they are going to spend the night here."

We were waiting forever. Finally they came. As soon as they got to our house we did everything. We watched T.V, played the wii, played some fun board games and soon enough we had dinner. My mom made pasta, salad and meat balls. They were good.

Then after dinner my mom, dad, brother and I played Scrabble. I lost, but I had fun. When we did that my aunt, uncle, and grandma watched a funny movie.

The hurricane was not so bad. Neither was sleeping in the basement. I hurt my back on the pull out bed because there was a big lump on it. But it was okay.

I just enjoyed spending time with my family!

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 03:08 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 48

Rain Forest Café

One day my Mom said, “We are going for a family vacation.” So she just stared to call people. Then she told me, “We are going with Aunt and my friend Esmeralda.” When my dad got home I told him we are going for a family vacation.

When we got to the hotel we stayed there for two weeks. It was fun because the hotel had the biggest pool in the world. The boardwalk was so long we did not get to the end until four days. The beach was beautiful, but the waves were so big they could push a house.

On the last day we all had to pack up and go home but we went back home through Atlantic City.

When we got to the boardwalk we walked and walked and walked until we got in front of the Rain Forest Café. It had lot of animals like frogs, tigers, and a talking tree inside. When we got to the door of the restaurant we had to find someone to help us get inside. When we got to our table there was so much food on the menu I said to my mom, “Can you buy me the restaurant for me?”

“No because it is a lot of money.”

All of the drinks were so good. I got a cherry with blueberry slushy. It was so good. It melted in my mouth. When we left I was so sad because it was fun.

The next day was my birthday so my mom called all of her friends to help her decorate. When I got home with my dad they all yelled, “Happy Birthday!" And that made my day happy.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 10:16 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 54

One day my uncle called my mom. My mom picked the phone up and my Uncle said, “Does Alex, Anthony, and SenorGummyWorm want to come to a soccer game with me and Uncle Juan?”

My mom called us and said, “Do you guys want to go to a soccer game with your uncles?”

We said “YES!”

My mom told our uncles we were going. Our mom told us to go to sleep because the game ends at twelve o’clock.

It was the next day, and I was the first one to wake up. I ate breakfast, and then I heard footsteps. It was my brothers. They woke up and they were ready too. I said, “Guys, the game starts at 12:00pm remember?” So we went back to sleep.

Two Hours Later

“It's time to wake up again,” Alex said. I woke up. We got dressed and watched T.V. Then my mom woke up and then our uncle came to pick us up. We went outside and we got in the car and we all went to New Jersey.

One Hour Later

We were finally there at the Red Bulls Stadium! I was so excited. I jumped up and down and ran to the stadium and said, “All hail the Red Bulls Stadium.” Then we gave our tickets to the man wearing a staff shirt. We looked for our seats. As soon as we found our seats I looked up and I saw a big screen. There was a guy in a plane, and he sky dived into the stadium. The game started.

The other team started off with the ball. Henry Thierry stole the ball and passed it to Rafael Marquez. He tried to pass it to Pique. But then a player from the other team stole it. The guy passed it to his teammate. He tried to score, but Bouna Coundoul saved it. Then he passed it to Jozy Altidore, and he tried to score. Then the goalie tipped it out, and then they got a corner kick. They tried to head it, but the goalie got the ball. The goalie passed it to a player, and he ran the ball up and passed it to a teammate. Then he kicked the ball, and he scored! The score was Houston 1 - Red Bulls 0.

We got hungry and went inside to get some food. After we ate food we watched the rest of the game. The other team started with the ball, and the guy with the ball passed it to a player. But someone stole the ball and ran the ball up and passed it to a teammate. He kicked the ball, and he scored. The whole crowd cheered (except the guys that were cheering for the other team). I was so happy they scored. Now the score was Houston 1 – Red Bulls 1.

There was only one minute left in the game, and I was nervous the Red Bulls would lose. The goalie kicked the ball to a player and ran the ball up.There were only 10 seconds left. 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. . . .They missed! The game was tied! I was so happy the game was over, and we went back home.

Article posted November 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 137

I think I Broke Something!

Most people, who have never broken bones before, probably don’t understand how painful it can be. Especially when people don’t even believe you! Now, I know what you’re thinking. What is this girl talking about? Well, you’re in the right place. And I’m here to tell you what I’m talking about.

I was having a pretty good day at camp. We were all laughing at each other because we were all soaking wet in our bathing suits because we had just got out of the pool. We were getting nearer to a flight of stairs. I wasn’t really paying attention. . . .

“AAAAAAAAAA!” I screamed.

I heard a crack, then a thump, as my head hit the floor. Before I knew what had happened, I stared to cry. Not just cry, I was screaming on the ground, moaning like a baby. I could feel the pain running up my ankle into my bones like needless. I had never experienced so much pain in my life. It was agony. All the kids started to crowd around me as my mind went fuzzy. I could tell every one was trying to get closer.

“Sunshine! Sunshine”! Someone called some where to the right. . . .Or was it the left?

“SunshineSparkle! Are you OK?!SunshineSparkle!??”

A nearby counselor was walking by. A bunch of the girls went running up to him, all of them trying to be the one to tell the consular what had happened. When he heard what had happened, he ran over to me, telling kids to move out of the way who hadn’t ran over to the consular and the kids who were now trying to run back to the spot where I was laying in front of him. When he got over to me, the kids reformed the circle, now around the consular and me. As he tried to touch my ankle to examine it, I screamed, “No! Don’t!STOP!” The counselor seemed to realize this situation was more serious then he thought. He raised his eyebrow and reached down and picked me up.

Now, can you imagine how annoying this was getting? He started carrying me somewhere I didn’t know. Finally, I saw we were heading for the nurse's office. I had never been in the nurse’s office before. It felt strange that this was the first reason for me going to the nurse’s office because most people go because they have a tiny scratch or have a bruised knee.

The counselor I didn’t know laid me down in a sitting position on the nurse's table, and the nurse, after having a conversation with the counselor she obviosly knew, very carefully picked up my ankle. I winced at the touch of her cold, nurse-like hand, and she elevated it on a soft pillow. I gave a sigh of relief. Then she disappeared behind her nurse’s closet for a few moments, rummaged through a bit, then somehow got an ice pack and placed it on my ankle. Its coldness felt good on my ankle now that it was so swollen it looked like there was a miny sour apple on my ankle.

Now, I know this might not sound that bad, but I was in so much pain! I kept moaning without really meaning to. When the nurse asked me, “So, what exactly happened?” I felt like this was kind of a silly question, but I told her everything I remembered. I finished talking to see that she was going to call my mom, to take me home, or something like that. But she just looked confused like the counselor. What was wrong with them? She looked like she was thinking about what she had just heard. She then said in a matter-of-fact sort of way, “Ok, you can go home.”

“What!” I yelled without trying to raise my temper.

“I. . .I,” I sputtered. “I think I broke something!” I had clearly not realized the nurse was not that nice. Without any other arguement, I tried to hosit myself off the nurse's table, but, once again, the counselor lifted me off the table but did nothing more. They watched me leave, limping, struggling under the now much heavier weight of my camp bags, my clothes still all wet from the swimming pool.

When I got to the bus, I took the first seat I could find. I was always the last one to get dropped off. I propped up my ankle on the seat and thought how I couldn’t wait to get home to my mom and tell her what had happened.

About an hour later, when the bus driver reached my apartment, the bus driver motioned to my mom to come on the bus. (I usually just go to the street, and I meet my mom there.) When the bus driver told my mom what had happened, my mom looked horror struck. I started to limp off the bus, scared to put any weight on my right ankle, struggling over the weight of my camp bags. My mom ran into the bus and took my bags from me and put my arm around her shoulder. My mom thanked the bus driver for taking care of me and telling her what happened and then half carried me, half helped me off the bus stairs and into the lobby of our apartment. When she got me up the elevator and into our apartment, she put my ankle up on the couch and got an ice pack for it.

After that, my mom asked me again had happened. Again, just like I had told the nurse, I told my mom as much as I remembered. When I finished talking and looked up at her to say something, she nodded, than said, in a very motherly sort of way, “OK,” shook her head, then went into the kitchen and started calling someone. When he answered, I realized it was my step-dad, Nick. When she got off the phone, she told me Nick was coming home from work to come and see me as soon as he got off the phone. (He worked about two blocks away from our house.) When she sat back down on the other end of the couch, the pain somehow started again. It was like the needles had given me a long enough rest and were started up again, having another race up my ankle. Without really meaning to, I started to cry again.

When Nick got home from work about five minutes later, he asked what had happened even though my mom had told him over the phone. I thought he just wanted to hear me say it. I looked at my mom for help. I didn’t want to re-tell the story again. My mom seemed to get the message, and Nick seemed to also.

But then I realized something: Nick would believe me. So, I told Nick the whole story, from when we got out of the pool to that very moment. That time I really tried hard to remember everything that happened. When I finished, I looked at Nick, trying to find his mysterious expressions. He seemed to be thinking over what I had just said. Then, finally, he said, “It probably just has to rest.”

I was suddenly so mad I forgot about my ankle hurting me. Than I said, not caring about my tone of voice, “I BROKE MY ANKLE!”

Well, anyway, you might think this if the end of the story. But my birthday was coming up, and Nick had put my ankle in an ace bandage for me. A few days later, I was still nagging my mom to get an x-ray to see if my ankle was broken and my parents agreed. And. . .

my ankle WAS broken!

Article posted October 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 40

Apple Picking

Last weekend my Dad had a surprise for my brother and me. My Dad called us into the kitchen and said, “We are going apple picking!” I was so excited to go and pick apples. I knew it would be fun. We would climb trees, taste the juicy apples, and shop in the farmer's market. My Dad told us to get into the car.

We went to pick up my Aunt Cynthia, Uncle Chinito, Aunt Marcia, and my cousins Sebastian, Javier, and Layla. It took us forty-five minutes to drive to the farm. While we were in the car, my brother and cousin Javier played a question game. We were making Sebastian laugh.

We got to the farm and my Dad said, “I will go buy a bag for the apples and a pole to get the apples.”

We said, “OK Dad!”

Then we headed up the hill to find some good apple trees. My brother and I ran to find a tree with lots of apples on it. We ran to my Dad and said, “We found a tree with lots of apples on it! Come this way!” I asked my Dad if my brother Kevin and I could climb up the tree to get more apples.

“Yes, you can,” Dad said. So, Kevin and I were climbing trees and I was scared. I thought I was going to fall out of the tree. When I looked into our bags, it seemed like we had a lot of apples.

I was yelling to my Dad, “Where should I look for more apples?”

Dad called back, “Go a little bit to your right. There’s a big, juicy one over there.”

I was extremely tired but finally the bags were full of juicy apples.

Finally, we went home and made all kinds of treats. We made apple pie, candy apples, and apple juice to drink. It was the best apple picking trip I had ever taken!

Article posted October 28, 2011 at 09:46 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 51

The Spooky Halloween

Every year before Halloween I go shopping for my costume. My dad takes my brother, my mom, and me to Party City to buy our costume for Halloween. When we get home from Party City, I always go try on my costume to see if it fits.

“Perfect”, I said. “I just can’t wait for Halloween!”

By 7:00 pm my uncle, aunt, and cousins arrived at my house. When we left my house to go trick or treating my cousins and I got excited. I knew I was going to get a lot of candy.

We went to knock on the first house's door.  “Trick-or-treat!” the three of us yelled. Then the nice lady gave us a few pieces of candy.  “Mmmm, M & M’s my favorite!” 

Next, we got to a scary house.  I got excited because I thought they would give us a lot of candy. The house had ghosts hanging from trees. The scariest part was a guy had a fake chainsaw that was really loud.  He had the chainsaw on a table and whenever he pressed a button on the chain saw, it made a loud chainsaw noise.

When we got home I was tired. A half an hour later my brother came with his bag all ripped up.

I can’t wait for next year’s Halloween.       

Article posted October 28, 2011 at 09:41 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

KICK, PUNCH, WIN

AAAAAAAA! I woke up from my slumber. I ran out of bed and I started the Wii. I knew this would be the day.

So I was getting ready to play, and my brother Henry came into the living room. I said, “Henry, do you want to play?”

“Sure”

After that we got to his castle. It was huge. I didn't think we would beat it. Tthe castle was hard enough as it was, and we had to beat Bowser too! When we reached the castle the first time it was so exciting, but after awhile it got boring. I thought, "Today I am going to beat it."

PUNCH, KICK!

I got through the main part of the castle. I was wobbling like an elderly person without a cane. I had a flying mushroom, and I was determined to beat it.

Jump, fly, jump, fly, YES! I beat the really hard part.

Now time to get half way. Wow! The way is right next to Browser's door! I entered the door. I hopeed it was like the DS version. Well, it wasn’t. It was totally whacked up. Once I jumped over him and pressed the button, he died. I thought, "I’ve beat it!" But I didn’t. That was only part one of the test. I had to beat him when he was super big and spitting giant fire balls. And you had to go through a course!

Zing! I flew up on to a piece of land.

Jump, punch, kick! I was going through the course so fast I thought I would die any second. I had five lives and Henry had one. I was SO wobbly. One more jump. Henry had no lives left. I made the landing and pressed the button.

Boom!

I had beaten Bowser!

Kick, Punch, Win!

THE END

Article posted October 27, 2011 at 10:30 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 47

Christmas Surprise

I was climbing up the snow covered pine tree when it happened. I slipped. I was falling fourty feet, my body rushing through the thick winter air. It all happened so fast. My life flashed before my very eyes. Fear and worry filled my head with darkness and dread. It was all a big lump of wonder. I wished I would make it out alive.

But let’s go back to the beginning when it all happened, when my life changed forever.

It was early in the morning around 8:00. It was Christmas morning. I was traveling to Yorktown to visit my friends for Christmas. My friends were Jazmine, Stephanie, and Janayh. Me and Jazmine went to Janayh’s house for Christmas.

“I wonder what Janayh got for Christmas?” Jazmine asked.

“It’s probably more expensive jewelry.” I said.

“Yeah, she always gets stuff like that.”

After the long conversation about what we all got for Christmas, we both arrived at Janayh’s house, and we both ran up to the door.

“Hold on girls. What’s the big hurry?” my mom asked.

“We haven’t seen Janayh in two years. We miss her a lot after she went to South Africa for Christmas.” answered Jazmine.

“Okay then, but when Janayh answers the door don’t trample her over!” my mom joked.

Me and Jazmine banged on the door franticly and rang the door bell in frustration to get Janayh’s attention when finally she answered the door!

“What’s with all the noise?! It’s 8:00 in the morning. Keep it down!” Janayh yelled.

“Janayh!” we both yelled

“We missed you so much!” I yelled.

“Well, I missed you guys too!” Janayh answered.

We all walked in and dropped our stuff in her living room.

“Check out the diamond bracelet I got for Christmas!”

“Yeah, we figured.” we both said.

“Where’s Stephanie?” I asked.

“Oh, she’s already here. She’s out by the driveway.”

“Awesome! Lets go outside!” Jazmine said. So we all followed Janyah outside to the driveway.

“Hey, what took you guys so long?” Stephanie asked.

“Traffic.” answered Jazmine.

“Oh, Okay then.” Stephanie said.

“Check out my DAIMOND BRACELET!” Janyah screamed.

“Not so loud! Do you want someone to rob you!’ I yelled.

“Well, are you jealous?”

“NO.” I snapped.

“Whatever,” Stephanie groaned.

“Let’s just has fun on Christmas, okay?”

“Fine.” We all said. So we all just started playing "Capture the Flag" when it happened.

“Hey, pass the flag!”  Janyah yelled. She caught the flag and her bracelet flew in the air.

“O.M.G! My bracelet! It’s up in that tree! Someone go get it before it gets stuck in the filter!”  Janyah screamed.

“Okay, doen’t go crazy. We’ll find someone to go up and get it.” I said.

“Perfect. You can go gets it.” Janyah said

“You say what now?!”

“Yeah, it was your idea for someone to go get it so you should go up and get the bracelet.”

“No, no, that was just an idea. I’m not really going up there!”

“Pleaseeeeeeee!”

“Fine.” So I started climbing up the 40ft tree pine tree, slipping through the thick, snowing, winter air and stepping on the crunching black branches.

“Are you guys sure about this? The branch is starting to break!” I yelled.

“Don’t be such a baby. Do you see the bracelet?”

“Yes, but….” Then everything stopped. The last thing I heard was the crunch of branches and the splash of water. My life flashed before my very eyes. Fear and worry filled my head with darkness and dread. It was all a big lump of wonder. I wished I would make it out alive. I heard screams and yelling. I saw blood, a lot. The big thing that was pasted in my head was, "Will I make it out alive? Will I ever see my family?" Then my hand reached out. My mouth opened, but nothing came out. My arm was slit from my thumb to my elbow.

“Did you get the bracelet?” I heard.

“Yes,” I said. Everyone cheered. I only had two big cut and a couple of bruises.

“You fell out of a 40ft tree into an ice covered pool with only two big cuts and a couple of bruises. You're amazing!” Stephanie said.

“Thanks, but whatever you do, don’t tell my parents!” I said.

“Cross our hearts. By the way, thank you for, umm. . .getting my bracelet.” Janyah said.

Then we all hugged and opened our presents.

Article posted October 27, 2011 at 10:29 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

I woke up excited and happy because the entire 5th grade was going to BOCES. BOCES was a trip you get to go on when you are in 5th grade.

***

When I got to school that morning, I saw a ton of buses. When I got to my class room we read. Then we said the Pledge of Allegiance. We lined up to go to the BOCES trip. We got on the bus, and then we left.

***

When we got to BOCES we saw the people who worked there holding numbers. I went to my number, which was four. We went into the woods. It smelled like dirt and leaves. We saw a rope hanging from a tree. It was fun to swing on. After the rope swing, we saw a barrel. We had to go over the top, so I got on my hands and knees. After that my back really hurt.

We ate lunch and then left.

I was on the bus when it broke down. We stayed for a couple of minutes. Then we were back at school.

Article posted October 27, 2011 at 10:17 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

“Daddy, get me a puppy right this instant!”

As you can see, I was a spoiled little brat, and I was only eight years old! Can you believe it? I know, I can’t.

Anyway, lets get back to the story. Now where was I. . . . Oh, yeah, I just called my dad.

The reason why I called my dad was to get me a dog. I felt alone. I was the only girl in my family, including my mom. I mean, I can’t play with my mom, she’s too busy! My mom doesn’t feel lonely because she has my dad, my two brothers and me. Now you can see why I was so lonely.

After I had made the phone call, I felt proud of my self. Soon I was going to get a puppy to play with. I would feed it, play with it, and maybe clean its pee. But it would be all worth it because I was going to have a friend.

I had to wait and wait and wait until I heard the car engine. Vroom, vroom. It was my dad’s car! I was so excited that I started to scream!

I ran to the front yard as fast as I could and said “Yes!, finally you came, daddy!” with a big smile.

Then this big dog came out of the car, and I was so perplexed because I asked for a puppy not a big dog.

“And the puppy?” I said politely.

“There he is,” said my dad with a proud look on his face.

Then I started to cry and ran to my room, and I never wanted to see my dad's face again.

I looked out the window in my room and realized that the dog wasn’t bad after all. The dog was playing with my brothers outside in my front yard.

“Go doggy! Go! fetch!” said my little brother.

Then I said to myself maybe I’ll give it a try.

Article posted October 27, 2011 at 10:09 AM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 63

My mom decided I was a really good swimmer and I should be on a swim team during the year as well as the summer. That‘s why I was sitting in the car going to the Rye YMCA for a swim tryout. “But mom, I don’t want to go to the tryout! I’m really nervous I won’t make it on the team,” I said, biting my finger nails. “Who cares if you don’t make it on the team,” my mom said. “The important thing is you tried.” OK, I thought. I just have to try. So that’s what I did. I slid out of the car seat and started walking inside with my mom. When we got inside my mom signed me up for the tryouts, and I put on my swim cap and goggles. I whispered to my mom, “I’m really nervous!” She whispered back, “You’ll be fine!” When it was my turn, I walked in. A lady told me to stand near a lane. The lady then said, “Hi my name is Coach Liz and today you’re going to do two laps of each stroke. What’s your name?” “I’m Ava,” I said quietly. “Ok, Ava,” she said. “Well, dive in!” I didn’t have to be told twice. I did my best dive and started swimming freestyle. Freestyle is my best stroke so I didn’t have a problem with those two laps. Backstroke I was OK, but I was definitely slower than Freestyle. Breaststroke I’m really good at too, so that was easy. My last two laps were butterfly which I hated and was really bad at! But I tried my best and eventually got through it. “Remember, Ava, this Saturday your mom will get an email. If you are on the team or not,” said Coach Liz. I nodded and got out of the pool and walked to my mom. “How did you do?” my mom asked “OK, I guess, except for butterfly!” I said, and then I walked to the locker room. I took a warm shower, got changed, and went home. I woke up early Saturday morning and raced down the stairs to the computer. I was so excited because today my mom would get and email if I’m on the team or not. I went onto my mom’s email and clicked the email from the team. It said, "Congratulations, Ava is on the Rye Wave Ryder’s swim team!" I screamed, “OMG! Mom I’m on the swim team!” I was so happy. and I learned all you have to do is try!

Article posted October 27, 2011 at 10:06 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 57

Skating Superstar

I dashed off the ice to my mom, literally tripping! I screamed, "I am doing a solo for the ice skating show."

“That sounds fun, but it is coming soon so you should start picking a song,” my mom exclaimed.

My mom and I went into the office at the rink to pick out a skating dress. There were so many to choose from I couldn’t pick. But then one caught my eye. It was a black and sparkly gold zebra print one. I told my mom I wanted that one. I tried it on and it fit perfectly. I was so glad.

We told the lady we were going to buy that one. She said, "Everyone wants this. You are so lucky you got it because that was the only zebra print one we had."

A couple of weeks later and a few days before the show I finally picked a song. I picked "Born to Be Somebody" by Justin Bieber.

Three days later was the show. We were in the car, and I kept saying to my mom, "Go faster!"

My mom would say, "I can’t, but calm down we are almost there."

I was jumping out of my seat I was so excited! We arrived at the rink. I was already in my dress so I jumped out of the car with my skating bag and ran like a lightning bolt into the rink. I got my skates on and waited for my turn.

Later on, my skating teacher said, "You are going on the ice soon."

I followed her to a little area where I waited. Soon it was my turn. They said my name as I skated onto the ice. They put the music on and I did my routine perfect. I couldn’t stop smiling. It went by so quick! I skated off the ice as the clapping died. I ran over to my family and they were so proud.

I was so sad it was over, but I was relieved I did everything correct. And I had fun with it!

Article posted October 27, 2011 at 09:47 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 45

The keys for my house were gone!

“Mom, where are the keys for the house?” I questioned.

“I don’t know,” my mom answered.

I was trying to look for the keys, but it was too late.

“Mom I have to go pee!” I yelled. Then my dad disappeared into the basement.

“Where is daddy going?” I asked, but my mom wouldn’t answer.

My mom was silent while my dad was still in the basement. I didn’t want to be outside because: One, the cats have a "hotel" (figure of speech) under our porch, and, two, "The Boss" (the raccoon, also a figure of speech) comes here. My mom said raccoons don’t like children. That made me scared like a sloth being hunted down by an eagle! I could still taste those yummy shrimp from the all-you-can eat-buffet. Then, finally, I saw my dad with a huge ladder.

“Vicente, could you go in the window?” My dad said.

“Uh, no!”

Then my dad quickly tried to open a window. I was worried because I thought a neighbor would see us and think we are burglars. It was hard, so we waited and waited until. . .a nudge came out but that wasn’t enough. My mom tried to call our neighbor, Maria, but the phone was dead. We waited and waited.

Another nudge, and it was getting easier. And another nudge. But there was a problem. The dishes were blocking the way. There was only one more way - the back window! I would never climb there so my dad did again. Then I just remembered my room was there! He’ll squish my master pieces. But my Dad did anyway. So then I ran to the front door, and my dad opened the door. I hugged my dad so hard. I was happy to by home!

Me, my mom, and my dad learned that if we all work together, we can accomplish anything. I also learned that I should always remind my mom about the keys! The adventure was awesome, but I never, ever, never, ever, want to get in that situation in my whole entire life again.

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 190

If you’re wondering why I ended up looking at a closet with a hole and a little red stain, here’s the story.

It all started when we were having a race. This girl was ahead of me. I wanted to tap her on the back and say, “I give up” but instead of that she ran headfirst into the closet!

There were gasps in the room. Staff was running to the kitchen trying to find a wet cloth. She cried a very high pitched sound. The smell of tears and blood stung my nose. I looked at her face. It was beyond what my eyes could handle.

“What happened,” she said. Nobody said a word.

“Well?” she said impatiently. It was a brutal sight to look at her. I wanted to go to a different room but guilt weighed me down.

Seeing her head made me feel scared. Now I will always be carful of my actions. Safety is always first.

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 10:21 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 60

“Get up! Get dressed! We have to eat breakfast!” my mom yelled. I was really tired. I felt like it was five in the morning. But I just remembered I was in Disney World! I wanted to go on all of the rides!

I got out of bed, got dressed, brushed my teeth, and went to eat breakfast. I was eating my Fruit Loops really fast because I wanted to go see the parade.

“Stephanie, why are you eating so fast?” my brother asked.

“Listen, the Disney Parade is today, and I want to go see it,” I replied.

“I want to go,” my brother said.

“OK, so then we have to convince mom to let us go.”

My mom came into the kitchen.

“Can we go to the parade today?” my brother and I said at the same time.

“Ummmmmm. . .NO!” my mom yelled.

“Why not?” I asked.

“Because I said so.”

“Please, mommy. It will be the first time I've ever been to a Disney Parade,” I whined.

“I said, no!”

“PLEASE!!!” I yelled.

“Fine,” she said.

Next we got to the Disney parade at Magic Kingdom. We were a little late but I didn’t mind. There were a lot of people there already.

“I can’t see,” I said. No one heard me. I wanted to see better so I just moved up. My mom didn’t notice I left. I pushed my way through the people. I could feel their leather jackets on my face.

Finally I was close up. I could see all of my favorite characters. About two minutes later I heard my name. I looked back to see who was calling me. It was my aunt and my brother.

“What are you doing here?” I asked them.

“We came to find you! Now come on! Mommy’s been worried sick,” my brother said as he was pulling me. Soon I was safe with my mom.

I learned I should never get lost or try to and I should listen to my mom more often.

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 10:19 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 47

“Kids,” mom said. “Grandma and aunt and uncle might loose power or get flooded in the hurricane so they are going to spend the night here.”

When they got to my house we did everything. We watched television, played the Wii, played some board games and, before you know it, we had dinner. My mom made pasta and salad and meatballs.

After dinner we played Scrabble. I lost, but it was fun. When me and my mom and dad and brother played Scrabble, my aunt and uncle and grandma watched a movie.

The hurricane was not so bad. Sleeping in the basement was not bad either. I hurt my back on the bed, but that was okay.

I just enjoyed spending time with my family.

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 10:17 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 40

“We have to leave you at home” my mom said.

“OK!” I said. I was pretty excited!

But once my parents left, I was hungry!

“Man, I’m starving.” I said. My dog was looking at the French fries on the counter.

“WOOF!”

That gave made an idea to heat those French fries in the microwave. “Thanks, Titi.” I picked up the leftovers and wrapped it in tinfoil. I was dying of hunger! “Hmm, I’ll put. . .ten seconds.” I punched in ten seconds on the microwave. But guess what happened. . . ?!

BOOM!

It lit on fire! The fire was roaring out of control! I grabbed it fast! “I have to get a cup!” I climbed the counter and grabbed a cup. “The sink!” I rushed and poured water on it.

WOOSH. . . !

The fire was gone. “Phew. . . !” I put out the blurry smoke.

I’m so glad I didn’t burn the house. I should be home alone more often. . . .

“Are you okay, honey?” said my mother when she came home from the grocery store.

“Yep, just fine. . . .”

THE END

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 10:17 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 47

I couldn’t believe we were at Yankee Stadium. I was so happy I was finally here.

“Hurry up guys,” I said. We could see the whole stadium, it was huge. I couldn’t wait to get to see and wee what was in inside.

My brother, my cousin, my uncle and I went inside. There were so many things inside: the delicious pizza, nachos, candy, Taco Bell, Burger King, and much more. We bought it all. They were so delicious.

Then at the baseball field they started singing "The Spangled Baner." They told us to clap and to yell yippy on the big screen. It was lots of fun. . .until I fell asleep during the game.

When I woke up, the Yankees had LOST! But going to the stadium made me really happy. I got to see so many famous people out there on the field with their bats in their hands. I can’t wait to go again some day.

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 10:16 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 67

Getting The Newest 3D System!

It was a hot August day.

“Ready, lmmo?”

“Coming, mom, getting the games I'm trading in.”

“OK, but we don’t have all day!”

“I got ‘em!”

And off we went.

When we got to GameStop I counted all my gift cards, I had about 17! We got inside and my mom went to wait on line. I went to look at games that I could get.

“lmmo, it’s our turn!”

“Coming!”

The man said that I had almost $400! I went to look at the colors. I picked out an aqua blue one. The cashier said I still had about $100 left. I was really exited! I went to go look at the games. I knew I was going to get LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean, but I still had $40 left.   I ended up getting Transformers Dark of the Moon Full Stealth Edition Vehicle Combat game also. I said to myself, “Man, that’s a long title for a video game!”

This was a very awesome day for me. I took home two games for my new aqua blue 3DS! When we got back in the car I turned it on. It told me how to turn the 3D on with this little switch. The screen felt like it jumped out at me! I still love the 3Dness of it!

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 10:16 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 61

Have you ever gone two whole days without power?! I have, and it’s not that good. But it also turned out to be very awesome!

We couldn’t see any thing. It was raining really hard at night so me, my brothers, and my cousins, Brigitte and Daniel, were playing a video game. Daniel was 10 years old and Brigitte was 9 years old. I loved them! Then, suddenly, “chchchc.” The power went out! We went down stairs slowly because we couldn’t see.

”Boom! Bow! Boom!” went my brother rolling down the stairs! We were all laughing and so was he. Then I yelled, “Mom, we need a candle or else we are going to fall just like Anthony did!”

Then we went down stairs with our own parents! We were hungry! So we ate crunchy tacos with extra cheese and we drank sour lemon aid!

”Mmmmm,” we all said.

My cousins had to sleep over with us.The next day we tried turning the lights on, but they wouldn’t work.

Then it was night time. We were bored. We couldn’t play our video game or watch TV! My dad got an idea and got a flash light that changed to different colors! He put music on his phone, and we all started partying!

After we partied we never remembered the video games again. It was awesome! It wasn’t so bad after all!

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 10:15 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 54

“When will we go?!” I asked for the thirteenth time that day. I was so anxious to go to the dog store to get a dog. I knew I was bothering mom, but I am lazy and impatient.

“Oh, my god, we will go in five minutes!” shouted mom. A whole lot more than five minutes later, we packed into the minivan and drove off.

Once we got there, we went into the dog shelter. And, oh my, there were so many dogs.

“Look at that one attack its bowl!” I yelled. We stayed in that room for hours.

Finally mom asked the lady, “When will we get get a dog?” The lady went to her computer, stayed there for a while and then said, “Sometime in early 2012.” Me and my brother were pretty disappointed. 2012!? It was 2010! We would have to wait for two whole years to get one dog!

Then about a week ago it happened. . . .Mom was at work doing whatever she does when her iPhone4 rang. So here's what happened.

Mom: Hello?

Lady: You're Maria, right?

Mom: Yeah, why?

Lady: I work at the dog store you went to a year ago.

Mom: So?

Lady: You just got a new dog

Mom: Really? What breed?

Lady: A Labrador retriever. Come pick her up tomorrow.

Mom: I can't. I have work.

Lady: OK. Then pick him up the day after tomorrow. You don’t have work on Fridays, do you?

Mom: No.

Lady: Then pick the dog up Friday.

When mom told me the news I was soooooooo happy! When I got home from school on Friday I rushed into the kitchen. And there was my new dog. Mom told me to take her outside on her leash. I got a ball, put on her leash, and and played fetch with her for an hour and a half.

And that is how I got my dog.

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 10:12 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 77

The Sporty Day

I was feeling really lucky one day for some odd reason.

“Mom, Dad, I wanna' win those Ranger tickets. Maybe if we’re really, really lucky the courtside Knick tickets too. . . .”

I could hear all of the people talking. It sounded like roaring. Thousands of people coming back from a a 23 mile walk. I could feel the ground shaking because it was so loud. I got my tickets and ripped them and then put them in the big bowl. All of the names were being called out, but I didn’t hear mine.

Finally, it was the last two raffles that were being called out.

“Mom, Dad! These are the last two raffles, and I wanna' win them sooooo bad!"

But then, suddenly, I heard the name, "BlubberFlubber24!"

I went up to the big stage and got the bag holding the four courtside Knick tickets! Then I heard my sister’s name called out! When we went home she gave the tickets to me!

My mom and dad said, "How do you do it.?!" And now every walkathon even if I don’t win something I still remember going to the Knick game with my whole family and going to the Ranger game with my dad. (And, by the way, the we sat right next to Mariano Rivera!)

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 409

I was so scared!

"Someone go get her now! Who will know if she doesn’t make it through the fire! Someone go get her! Roxy! Are you OK in there?!"

My dad and mom were outside. Me and my brother were in the car crying because we were so scared. The fireman wouldn’t let us out. They said it was so dangerous. Me and my brother were in the car watching the house every second. Every second we looked at the house. The fire just got bigger and bigger and we couldn’t stop, not one bit. The fireman were shooting out the water, but it just couldn’t make it. Soon the fire was huge. The fireman multiplied, and then the fire was out.

We had our dog, and we were happy! The firemen were life savers for us so it worked out just fine. We were all safe and sound.

Roof!