Copyright (c) 2014 by Horse29 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Horse29 -- Blogmeister

Horse29-

We are Mr. Brune's 5th Grade at Mamaroneck Avenue School in Mamaroneck, NY, USA!

by Horse29 teacher: MAS 5B 2011 - 2012
i-Prints 05/11
Miro 05/11
Final Pioneer Diary Entry 05/10
Poetry 04/24
Inquiry 03/25
Return to the Moon 03/11
Literary Essay 01/12
Self Portraits 10/21
Sculpture 12/02
Revision 11/22
School Report 10/31
Personal Narrative 10/26
A True Story From Your Life 10/21
Independent Writing 10/21

Title: Revision (11/22/11)
Description: Revise the Personal Narrative:
- Use ideas that are unforgettable and include sensory details.
- Organize the personal narrative with a beginning, middle, and ending that work well.
- Use voice that sounds natural and dialogue that fits the speaker's personality.
- Choose words that have active verbs and have the right feeling.
- Vary the sentence beginnings and the lengths.

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 09:50 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

“When will we go?!” I asked for the thirteenth time that day. I was so anxious to go to the dog store to get a dog. I knew I was getting on my mom's nerves, but I am lazy and impatient.

“Oh, my god, we will go in five minutes!” shouted mom. A whole lot more than five minutes later, we packed into the minivan and drove off.

Once we finally got there, we went into the dog shelter. And, oh my, there were more dogs than I could count!

“Look at that one attack its bowl!” I yelled. We stayed in that room for hours.

Finally mom asked the lady, “When will we get get a dog?” The lady went to her computer, stayed there for a while, and then said, “Sometime in early 2012.” Me and my brother were pretty disappointed. 2012!? It was 2010! We would have to wait for two whole years to get one dog!

Then about a week ago it happened. . . .Mom was at work doing whatever she does when her iPhone4 rang. So here's what happened.

Mom: Hello?

Lady: You're Maria, right?

Mom: Yeah, why?

Lady: I work at the dog store you went to a year ago.

Mom: So?

Lady: You just got a new dog

Mom: Really? What breed?

Lady: A Labrador Retriever. Come pick her up tomorrow.

Mom: I can't. I have work.

Lady: OK. Then pick her up the day after tomorrow. You don’t have work on Fridays, do you?

Mom: No.

Lady: Then pick the dog up Friday.

When mom told me the news I was soooooooo happy! When I got home from school on Friday I rushed into the kitchen, and there was my new dog. Mom told me to take her outside on her leash. I got a ball, put on her leash, and played fetch with her for an hour and a half.

And that is how I got my dog.

Article posted November 28, 2011 at 09:39 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 35

The Sporty Day

I was feeling really lucky that day for some odd reason. My mom’s walkathon was that day.

“Mom, dad, I wanna' win those New York Ranger tickets! Maybe if we’re really, really lucky the courtside Knick tickets too!”

I could hear all of the people talking. It sounded like roaring. Thousands of people coming back from a 23 mile walk. I could feel the ground shaking because it was so loud. I got my tickets and ripped them and then put them in the big bowl. All of the names were being called out, but I didn’t hear mine.

Finally, it was the last two raffles that were being called out.

“Mom, dad, these are the last two raffles and I wanna' win them so bad!"

But then, suddenly, I heard the name: BlubberFlubber24!

So I went up to the big stage and got the bag holding the four courtside Knick tickets. Then I heard my sister’s name called out and when we went home she gave the Ranger tickets to me!

My mom and dad said, "How do you do it?!"

And now every walkathon even if I don’t win something I still remember going to the Knick game with my whole family and going to the Ranger game with my dad. (By the way, we sat right next to Mariano Rivera, a star pitcher for the New York Yankees!)

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 10:09 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

GOOAAALLL!

One dark, Saturday afternoon my uncle called. My mom picked the phone up and my uncle said, “Do the boys want to come to a soccer game with me?”

My mom called us and said, “Do you guys want to go to a soccer game with your uncle?”

We said “YEAH!”

My mom told our uncle we were going, and then our mom told us to go to sleep for the game because the game ends at 12:00pm. So we went to sleep early.

It was Sunday, the day of the game. I was so excited I was the first one to wake up. I ate breakfast, and then I heard footsteps. They were my brother's footsteps. He woke up, and he was ready too.

Then I said, “You do know that the game starts at 12, remember?” So we went back to sleep.

Two Hours Later

“It is time to get up again.” my other brother said. I woke up. Then we got dressed and watched T.V. Then my mom woke up and she watch T.V with us. We waited for our uncle to come pick us up, but it was a long time for him to come. A few hours later he came to pick us up. We went outside, got in the car, and we went all the way to New Jersey.

One Hour Later

We were finally there at the Red Bulls Stadium! I was so excited! I ran out of the car and ran to the stadium and said, “I can’t believe it's the Red Bulls Stadium!”

We gave our tickets to the man wearing a staff shirt, and we looked for our seats. As soon as we found our seats, I looked up and saw a big screen. There was a guy in a plane, and he skydived into the stadium. The game started.

The other team started off with the ball. Henry Thierry stole the ball and passed it to Rafael Marquez, and he tried to pass it to Pique but then a player from the other team stole and the guy passed it to his teammate and he tried to score but Bouna Coundoul saved it. Then he passed it to Jozy Altidore, and he tried to score, but the the goalie tipped it out. Then they got a corner kick and they tried to header it but the goalie got the ball. The goalie passed it to a player and he ran the ball up and passed it to a teammate and then he kicked the ball and he scored!

The score was Houston 1 - Red Bulls 0.

I was so mad. We got hungry and went inside the restaurant to get some food. After we ate food we watched the rest of the game and the other team started with the ball and the guy with the ball passed it to a player but someone stole the ball and ran the ball up and passed it to a teammate and he kicked the ball and he scored. The whole crowd cheered (except the guys that were cheering for the other team). I was so happy they scored.

Now the score was Houston 1 – Red Bulls 1.

There was only one minute left in the game, and I was nervous the Red Bulls would lose. The goalie kicked the ball to a player and ran the ball up. There were only 10 seconds left. 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1… They missed!

The game was tied!

I was so happy the game was over, and we went back home.

Article posted November 29, 2011 at 09:44 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 38

Getting the Newest 3D System

We were inside. It was a hot June day. My mom and I were getting ready to go to GameStop.

“Ready, LMMO?”

“Coming Mom. Getting the games I'm trading in."

“OK, but we don’t have all day.”

“I got 'em.”

We got in the car, and off we went.

When we got to GameStop in Porchester, I counted all my gift cards. I had about 17! We got inside, and my mom got in line. I went to look at the 3DS game rack.

“LMMO, its our turn!”

Running over, I said, “Coming!”

The cashier said I had almost $400! Wow! That’s a lot of money! I went to look at the variety of colors. I picked out an aqua blue one. The cashier said I still had about $100 left. I got really excited! I went to look at the games. I definitely was going to get the new LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean game. Then I still had $40. I went home with Transformers 3 too! It showed me how to turn on the 3D with a little switch.

I still love the 3D!

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 09:58 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

Christmas Surprise

I was skillfully climbing up the snow covered pine tree. My feet were shivering from my thin sole shoes. Crunching branches and slippery snow pounded and pricked my crimpled fingers. The it happened! I slipped! I was falling 40 ft! My body rushing through the think, winter air! It all happened so fast! My life flashed before my very eyes. Everything I could imagine clouded up my head. Fear and worry filled my head with darkness and dread. It was all a big lump of wonder. I wished I would make it out alive. But let’s go back to the beginning when it all happened, when my life changed forever.

It was early in the morning around 8:00. The sun was still creeping from behind the midnight clouds. It was Christmas morning. I was traveling to Yorktown to visit my friends for Christmas.  M friends were Jazmine, Stephanie, and Janayh. Me and Jazmine went to Janayh’s house for Christmas.

“I wonder what Janayh got for Christmas? Like we don’t already know,” Jazmine asked.

“It’s probably more expensive jewelry,” I said.

“Yeah, she always gets stuff like that.”

After the long conversation about what we all got for Christmas we both arrived at Janayh’s  house, and we both ran up to the door.

“Hold on girls. What’s the big hurry?” my mom asked.

“We haven’t seen Janayh in two years. We miss her a lot after she went to South Africa for Christmas. We don’t know what she was thinking when she had that idea to move half way around the world to have a sweaty Christmas! ” answered Jazmine.

“Okay, then. . . .But when Janayh answers the door don’t trample her over! Or crush her face!” my mom joked.

Me and Jazmine banged on the door franticly and ran the door bell in frustration to get Janayh’s attention when finally she answered the door!

“What’s with all the noise. It’s 8:00 in the morning! Keep it down or I’ll call the cops!” Janayh yelled.

“Janayh!!!” we both yelled.

“We missed you so much!” I yelled.

“Well, I missed you guys too! But I’m about to unfriend you if y’all don’t keep it down out here!” Janayh answered.

We all walked in and dropped our stuff in her living room.

“Check out the 24 caret diamond bracelet I got for Christmas!”

“Yeah, we figured,” we both said.

“Where’s Stephanie?” I asked.

“Oh, she’s already here she’s out by the driveway.”

“Awesome! Lets go outside!” Jazmine said. So we all followed Janyah outside to the driveway.

“Hey, what took you guys so long?” Stephanie asked.

“Traffic,” answered Jazmine.

“Oh, Okay then.” Stephanie said.

“CHECK OUT MY 24 CARROT DIAMOND BRACELET!” Janayh screamed.

“Not so loud! do you want someone to rob you!’ I yelled.

“Well, are you jealous?”

“NO.” I snapped.

“Whatever” Stephanie groaned .“Let’s just have fun on Christmas, okay?”

“Fine.” we all said. So we all just started playing Capture the Flag. . .when it happened.

“Hey, pass the flag!”  Janyah yelled. She caught the flag and her bracelet flew in the air.

“O.M.G! My diamond 24 caret bracelet! It’s up in that tree! Someone go get it before it gets stuck in the filter!”  Janyah screamed.

“Okay, don’t go crazy. We’ll find someone to go up and get it.” I said.

“Perfect, you can go gets it.” Janyah said.

“You say what now?!”

“Yeah, it was your idea for someone to go get it so you should go up and get the bracelet.”

“No, No, that was just an idea. I’m not really going up there!”

“Pleaseeeeeeee!”

“NO WAY, NO HOW, NO NEVER!”

“Come onnnnn=http://”

“I said no, and that’s final!”

“O.K then I guess I have to tell your mom that you stole that hose from the Jefferson’s house!”

“Fine.” I started climbing up the 40ft tree pine tree, slipping through the thick, snowing winter air and stepping on the crunching black branches.

“Are you guys sure about this. The branch is starting to break!” I yelled.

“Don’t be such a baby. Do you see the bracelet?”

“Yes but…! Then everything stopped. The last thing I heard was the crunch of branch and the splash of water My life flashed before my very eyes. Fear and worry filled my head with darkness and dread. It was all a big lump of wonder. I wished I would make it out alive. I heard screams, yelling. I saw blood, a lot. The big thing that was pasted in my head was, "Will I make it out alive? Will I ever see my family." Then I hand reached out my mouth, opened it, but nothing came out. My arm was slit from my thumb to my elbow.

“Did you get the bracelet?” I heard.

“Yes,” I said. Everyone cheered. I only had a couple of big cuts and a couple of bruses.

“You fell out of a 40ft tree into an ice covered pool with only a two big cuts and a couple of bruses! You're amazing!” Stephanie said.

“Thanks, but whatever you do, don’t tell my parents!” I said.

“Cross our hearts. By the way, thank you for. . .umm. . . getting my bracelet.” Janyah said.

Then we all hugged and opened our presents.

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 10:12 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

The keys for my house were gone!

“Mom, where are the keys for the house?” I questioned.

“I don’t know” my mom answered.

I was trying to look for the keys, but it was too late.

“Mom I have to go pee!” I yelled.

Then my dad disappeared into the basement.

“Where is Daddy going?” I asked. But my mom wouldn’t answer.

My mom was extremely silent while my dad was still in the pitch black basement. I didn’t want to be outside in the porch because, first, the cats have a hotel (figure of speech) under our porch, and, two, "The Boss" (a raccoon, also a figure of speech) comes here.

My mom said raccoons don’t like children. That made me scared like a sloth being hunted down by an eagle in the Amazon. I could still taste those yummy shrimp from the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Finally I saw my dad with a huge ladder.

“EvilTeddyBear, could you go in the window?” My dad said.

“Uh, no!”

Then my dad carefully tried to open a window. I was worried because I thought a neighbor would see us and think we are burglars trying to break in.

It was hard opening the window. We waited and waited until the window nudged open out but it wasn’t enough.

My mom tried to call our neighbor, Maria, but my mom’s phone was dead.

We waited and waited. Another nudge. It was getting easier. Another nudge from the window. But there was a problem. The dishes were blocking the way. There was only one more way- the back window! I would never climb there so my dad did again. Then I remembered my room was there! And he’ll squish my masterpieces. But my Dad did went through anyway.

I ran to the front door. My dad opened the door. I hugged my dad so hard and I was happy to by home!

My mom, dad,and I learned if we all work together we can accomplish anything. I also learned I should always remind my mom for the keys! The adventure was awesome, but I will never, ever, never, ever want to get in that situation again in my whole entire life.

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 39

Hurricanes bug me sometimes, and I really do not like the rain. But this time it was nice. This is when I started to like hurricanes!

"Kids," my mom called from upstairs. "Grandma and your aunt and your uncle might lose power or get flooded so they are going to spend the night here."

We were waiting forever. Finally they got here. As soon as they got here we did everything. We watched T.V, played the wii, played some fun board games, and soon enough we had dinner. My mom made pasta, salad, and meatballs. They were good.

Then after dinner my mom, dad, brother and I played Scrabble. I lost, but I had fun. When we did that my aunt, uncle and grandma watched a funny movie.

The hurricane was not so bad. Neither was sleeping in the basement. I hurt my back on the pull-out bed because there is a big lump on it, but it was okay.

I just enjoyed spending time with my family!

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 36

My First Baseball Game I Went To

In 2008, my mom got tickets to the Yankee game. I was the really happy. Now let me tell you the rest of it.

“I can’t even believe that I’m here! Uncle Carlos, your're being so slow. I want to see the whole Yankee Stadium,” I said.

My brother ran to catch up with me. We could see the whole stadium. It was humongous. I couldn’t even wait to get to see what was in the inside. Do you know what’s inside?

My brother, my cousin, my uncle and I went inside the Yankee Stadium. There were so many things inside. There was pizza, nachos, candy, Taco Bell, Burger King, and much more. We only bought nachos because they were so delicious.

At the baseball field they started singing The Spangled Banner. They told us to clap and to yell "yippy" on the big screen in the Yankee Stadium. It was lots of fun until I fell asleep during the game.

When I woke up they had LOST, but going to the stadium made me really happy. I got to see so many famous people out there on the field with their bats in their hands. I can’t wait to go again some day.

Article posted November 29, 2011 at 08:31 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 36

I woke up excited and happy because the entire 5th grade was going to BOCES. (BOCES was a trip you get to go on when you are in 5th grade.)

***

When I got to school that morning, I saw a ton of buses. When I got to my classroom we read. Then we said the Pledge of Allegiance. We lined up to go to BOCES the trip. We got on the bus, and then we left.

***

When we got to BOCES we saw the pepole who worked there holding numbers. I went to my number, which was four. We went into the woods. It smelled like dirt and leaves. We saw a rope hanging from a tree. It was fun to swing on. After the rope swing, we saw a barrel. We had to go over the top, so I got on my hands and knees. After that my back really hurt.

We ate lunch and then left. I was on the bus when it broke down. We stayed for a couple of minutes.

Then we were back at school.

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

BLACK OUT!

Have you ever gone two whole days without power?! I have, and you might think it's not that good. But it turned out to be awesome for our family!

It was raining really hard that night so me, my brothers, and my cousins, Brigitte and Daniel, were playing a video game. Daniel was 10 years old and Brigitte 9 years old. I loved them!

Suddenly “chchchc”the power went out!

We couldn’t see anything. “Hey, who turned off the lights!?”

We went down stairs slowly because we couldn’t see.

Boom! Bow! Boom! went my brother rolling down the stairs! We were all laughing and so was he.

I yelled, “Mom! We need a candle or else we are going to fall just like Anthony did!”

“Hey!” said Anthony, my brother.

We went downstairs with our own parents! We were hungry! We ate crunchy tacos with extra cheese, and we drank sour lemonade!

”Mmmmm” we all said.

M cousins had to sleep over with us that day.

The next day we tried turning the lights on but they wouldn’t work.

”Mom, when are the lights coming back on!” I said.

When it was night time we were bored. We couldn’t play our video game or watch TV! Then my dad got an idea and got a flashlight that changes into many different colors! And he put music on his iphone and we all started partying!

After we partied we never remembered the video game again. It was awesome! It wasn’t so bad after all!

Article posted November 28, 2011 at 09:46 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 38

Awhile ago my Dad had a surprise for my brother and I.

I woke up, but I still felt tired and drowsy. My Dad called us into the kitchen and said, “We are going apple picking!” I was so excited to go and pick apples. I knew it would be fun. We would climb trees, taste the juicy apples, and shop in the farmers market.

My Dad told us to get into the car. We went to pick up my Aunt Cynthia, Uncle Chinito, Aunt Marcia, and my cousins Sebastian, Javier, and Layla. It took us forty-five minutes to drive to the farm. While we were in the car, my brother and cousin Javier played a question game. We were making Sebastian laugh.

First, we got to the farm and my Dad said, “I will go buy a bag for the apples and a pole to get the apples.”

We said, “OK Dad!”

Then we headed up the hill to find some good apple trees. My brother and I ran to find a tree with lots of apples on it. We ran to my Dad and said, “We found a tree with lots of apples on it! Come this way!”

Next, I asked my Dad if my brother Kevin and I could climb up the tree to get more apples. “Yes, you can,” Dad said.

So, Kevin and I were climbing trees and I was scared. The tree felt rough when I climbed it. The leaves were smooth. I was scared because the tree was 7ft or 8ft tall. I thought I was going to fall out of the tree. When I looked into our bags, it seemed like we had a lot of apples. I was yelling to my Dad, “Where should I look for more apples?”

Dad called back, “Go a little bit to your right. There’s a big, juicy one over there.”

I was extremely tired but the bags were full of juicy apples.

Finally, we went home and made all kinds of treats. We made apple pie, candy apples, and apple juice to drink. The apple desserts were so delious and the apple pie was creamy. The candy apples were sweet and so hard to bite into. It hurt my teeth.

It was the best apple picking trip I had ever taken!

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 35

Rain Forest Café

One day my mom said, “We are going for a family vacation.” So she just started to call people.

Then she told me, “We are going with your aunt and my friend, Esmeralda.”

When my dad got home I told my dad, “Dad, we are going for a family vacation!”

It was a very long time to get to the hotel. When we got to the hotel we stayed there for two weeks. It was fun because the hotel had the biggest pool in the world! The boardwalk was so long it seemed like we would did not get to the end for four days! The beach was beautiful, but the waves were so big they could have pushed a house.

Soon it was the last day so we all had to pack up and go home. But on the way we went to Atlantic City. When we got to the boardwalk we walked and walked and walked until we got in front of the Rain Forest Café. It had lot of animals like frogs, tigers, and a talking tree inside. When we got to the door of the restaurant we had to find someone to help us get inside. When we got to our table there was so much food on the menu I said to my mom, “Can you just buy the restaurant for me?”

“No! Because it is a lot of money."

All of the drinks were so good. I got a cherry with blue berry slushy. It was so good. It melted in my mouth.

When we left I was so sad because it was fun to go.

The next day it was my birthday so my mom called all of her friends over so they could help her decorate. When I got home they all yelled. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” The cake was so big and yellow.

When all the people left I said to my mom, “Thank you for the party.”

Article posted November 28, 2011 at 09:46 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 38

I think I Broke Something!

Most people who have never broken bones before probably don’t understand how painful it can be --especially when people don’t even believe you! Now, I know what you’re thinking. What is this girl talking about? Well, you’re in the right place, and I’m here to tell you what I’m talking about.

I was having a pretty good day at camp. We were all laughing at each other because we were all soaking wet in our bathing suits because we had just gotten out of the pool. We were getting nearer to a flight of stairs. I wasn’t really paying attention.

“AAAAAAAAAA!” I screamed.

I heard a crack and then a thump as my head hit the floor. Before I knew what had happened, I stared to cry. Not just cry, I was screaming on the ground, moaning like a baby. I could feel the pain running up my ankle into my bones like needless. I had never experienced so much pain in my life. It was agony. All the kids started to crowd around me as my mind went fuzzy. I could tell everyone was trying to get closer.

“SunshineSparkle!” Someone called somewhere to the right. Or was it the left?

“SunshineSparkle! Are you OK, SunshineSparkle?”

A nearby counselor was walking by. A bunch of girls went running up to him, all of them trying to be the one to tell the counselor what had happened. When he heard what had happened, he ran over to me, telling kids to move out of the way who hadn’t run over to him and the kids who were now trying to run back to the spot where I was laying in front of him. When he got over to me, the kids re-formed the circle, now around the consular and me.

As he tried to touch my ankle to examine it, I screamed, “No-don’t-STOP!”

The counselor seemed to realize this situation was more serious then he thought. He raised his eyebrow and reached down and picked me up.

Now, can you imagine how annoying this was getting? He started carrying me somewhere I didn’t know! Finally, I saw we were heading for the nurse's office. I had never been in the nurse’s office before. It felt strange that this was the first reason for me to go to the nurse’s office because most people go because they have a tiny scratch or have a bruised knee.

The counselor I didn’t know laid me down in a sitting position on the nurse's table. The nurse, after having a conversation with the counselor she obviously knew, then very carefully picked up my ankle. I winced at the touch of her cold, nurse like hand, and she elevated it on a soft pillow. I gave a sigh of relief. Then she disappeared behind her nurse’s closet for a few moments, rummaged a bit, then somehow got an ice pack and placed it on my ankle. Its coldness felt good on my ankle now that it was so swollen it looked like there was a minnie sour apple on my ankle.

Now, I know this might not sound that bad, but I was in so much pain! I kept moaning without really meaning to when the nurse asked me, “So, what exactly happened?”

I felt like this was kind of a silly question, but I told her everything I remembered. I finished talking to see that she was going to call my mom or to take me home or something like that. But she just looked confused like the counselor. W was wrong with them? She looked like she thinking about what she had just heard.

Then she said in a matter-of-fact sort of way, “Ok, you can go home.”

“What!” I yelled without trying to raise my temper. “I-I” I sputtered. “I think I broke something!”

I had clearly not realized the nurse was not that nice. Without any other arguement, I tried to hoist myself off the nurse's table, but once again the counselor lifted me off the table but did nothing more. They watched me leave, limping, struggling under the now much heavier weight of my camp bags, my clothes still wet from the swimming pool.

When I got to the bus, I took the first seat I could find. I was always the last one to get dropped off. I propped my ankle up on the seat and thought how I couldn’t wait to get home to my mom and tell her what had happened.

About an hour later, when the bus driver reached my apartment, the bus driver motioned to my mom to come on the bus. I usually walk on to the street and meet my mom there. When the bus driver told my mom what had happened, she looked horror struck. I started to limp off the bus, scared to put any weight on my right ankle, struggling over the weight of my camp bags. My mom ran into the bus and took my bags for me, and put my arm around her shoulder. My mom thanked the bus driver for taking care of me and telling her what happened and than half carried me, half helped me off the bus stairs into the lobby of our apartment.

When she got me up the elevator and into our apartment, she put my ankle up on the couch and got an ice pack for it. After that, my mom asked me again had happened. Again, just like I had told the nurse, I told my mom as much as I remembered.

When I finished talking and looked up at her to say something, she nodded and then said in a very motherly sort of way, “OK," and shook her head much nicer than the nurse had said it.

When she went into the kitchen, she started calling someone. When he answered, I realized it was my step-dad, Nick. When she got off the phone, she told me that Nick said he was coming home from work to come and see me as soon as he got off the phone.

(He worked about two blocks away from our house.)

When she sat back down on the other end of the couch, the pain somehow started again like the needles had given me a long enough rest and was started up again, having another race up my ankle. Without really meaning to, I started to cry again.

When Nick got home from work about five minutes later, he asked what had happened even though my mom had told him over the phone. I thought he just wanted to hear me say it. I looked at my mom for help. I didn’t want to re-tell the story again. My mom seemed to get the message, but Nick seemed to also. But than I realized something: Nick would believe me. So, I told Nick the whole story, from when we got out of the pool to that very moment. That time I really tried hard to remember everything that happened.

When I finished, I looked at Nick, trying to find his mysterious expressions. He seemed to be thinking over what I had just said. Then, finally, he said, “It probably just has to rest.”

I was suddenly so mad I forgot about my ankle hurting me. Than I said, not caring about my tone of voice, “I BROKE MY ANKLE!”

Well, anyway, you might think this is the end of the story, but it's not. My birthday was coming up, so Nick put my ankle in an ace bandage for me. A few days later, when I was still nagging my mom to get an x-ray to see if my ankle was broken, my parents agreed.

My ankle WAS BROKEN!

After that, I had to have over a year of physical therapy and my right ankle, it's still a bit swollen, and it’s always been my week ankle. Now it will never be the same.

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 10:10 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Lost Little Girl

“Get up! Get dressed! We have to eat breakfast!” my mom yelled.

I was really exhausted. I felt like it was five o'clock in the morning. I just realized I was in Disney World! I wanted to go on all of the rides and meet all of the Disney characters.

Next I jumped out of bed, got dressed, brushed my teeth, and went to eat breakfast. I was eating my Froot Loops quickly because I wanted to go see the parade.

“Why are you eating so fast?” my brother asked as he came into the kitchen.

“Listen, the Disney Parade is today and I want to go see it,” I replied, ”Now stop talking I need to eat!”

“I want to go,” my brother said.

“OK, so then we have to beg mom to let us go.”

My mom walked into the kitchen. My brother and I looked at each other and said, “Can we go to the parade today?”

“Ummmmmm let me think about it….NO!” my mom yelled.

“Why not?” I asked.

“Because I said so.”

“Please, mommy! It will be the first time I've ever been to a Disney Parade,” I whined.

“I said no!”

“PLEASE!” I yelled.

“Fine,” she said.

Next we went to the Disney Parade at Magic Kingdom. We were a little late, but I didn’t mind. I just wanted to see the parade.

“I can’t see,” I said. No one heard me. I wanted to see better so I just scooted up. My mom didn’t notice I left. I pushed my way through the people. I could feel their leather jackets on my face. I didn’t like it. I felt squished.

Finally I was close up. I could see all of my favorite characters. About two minutes later I heard someone yell my name. I looked back to see who was calling me. It was my mom and my brother.

“What are you doing here,” I asked them.

“We came to find you,” my brother said.

“I’ve been worried sick,” my mom said as she hugged me.

Now I was safe with my mom.

I learned that I should never get lost or even try to, and I should listen to my mom more often.

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 09:57 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 38

My mom decided I was a really good swimmer and I should be on a swim team during the year as well as the summer. That‘s why I was sitting in the car going to the Rye YMCA for a swim tryout.

“But, mom, I don’t want to go to the tryout! I’m really nervous I won’t make it on the team,” I said biting my finger nails.

“Who cares if you don’t make it on the team,” my mom said. “The important thing is if you tried.”

“Ok,” I thought to myself. “I just have to try.” So that’s what I did.

I slid out of the car seat and started walking inside with my mom. When we got inside, my mom signed me up for the tryouts and helped me put my swim cap on. My mom isn’t very sympathetic so when I whispered, “I’m really nervous!” she whispered back, “You’ll be fine!” Like it wasn’t a big deal at all!

When it was my turn, I walked in and put my goggles on. A lady told me to stand near a lane. The lady then said,

“Hi, my name is Coach Liz, and today you’re going to do two laps of each stroke. What’s your name?”

“I’m Ava,” I said quietly.

“Ok Ava,” she said. “Well, dive in!”

I didn’t have to be told twice. I did my best dive and started swimming freestyle. Freestyle is my best stroke, so I didn’t have a problem with those two laps. Backstroke I was OK with, but I was definitely slower than Freestyle. Breaststroke I’m really good at, too, so that was easy. My last two laps were Butterfly which I hate and was really bad at! But I tried my best and eventually got through it.

“Remember, Ava, this Saturday your mom will get an email if you are on the team or not,” said Coach Liz. I nodded, and got out of the pool and walked to my mom.

“How did you do?” my mom asked

“Ok, I guess, except for Butterfly!” I said, and then I walked to the locker room. I took a warm shower, got changed and went home.

I woke up early Saturday morning and raced down the stairs to the computer. I was so excited because today my mom would get and email if I made the team or not. I went onto my mom’s email and clicked the email from the team. It said, "Congratulations! Ava is on the Rye Wave Ryder’s swim team!"

I screamed, “OMG! Mom I’m on the swim team!”

I was so happy, and I learned all you have to do is try!

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 10:06 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

Fire Hazard

“We have to leave you at home” my mom said.

“Ok!” I said. I was pretty excited!

Once my parents left I was hungry! 

“Man, I’m starving.”

My dog was looking at the French fries on the counter

“WOOF!”

That gave me an idea to heat those French fries in the microwave.

“Thanks, Titi!”

I picked up the leftovers, and wrapped it in tinfoil. I was dying of hunger!

“Hmm, I’ll put 10 seconds.”

BEEP!  BOOP!  WENT THE MICROWAVE.

I punched in 10 seconds on the microwave. But guess what happened…?

BOOM!

It lit on fire! The fire was roaring out of control. I jumped off the kitchen counter. I grabbed it fast!

“I have to get a cup!”

I climbed the counter and grabbed a cup.

“The sink!” I was rushing and poured water.

WOOSH WENT THE TINFOIL!

The fire was gone.

“Phew…” I put out the blurry smoke from the fire.

I’m so glad I didn’t burn the house. I should be home alone more often.

“Are you okay, honey?” Said my mother when she came home from the grocery store.

“Yep, just fine…."

THE END

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

KICK, PUNCH, WIN

AAAAAAAA! I woke up from my slumber. I ran out of bed and I started the Wii. I knew this would be the day.

I was getting ready to play, and my brother Henry came into the living room.

I said, “Henry, do you want to play?”

“Sure” Henry said.

OK! After that, we got to his castle. It was huge. I didn't think we would beat it. The castle was hard enough as it was and then we had to beat Bowser too! When we reached the castle the first time it was sooo exciting but after a while it got boring so I thought, "Today I am going to beat it!"

PUNCH! KICK! I got through the main part of Bowser's castle, and I was wobbling like an elderly person without a cane. I had a flying mushroom, and I was determined to beat it.

Jump! Fly! Jump! Fly YESSSSS! I beat the really hard part. Now time to get half way! Wow! I was half way! I was right next to Bowser's door!

I entered the door. I hopeed it was like the DS version. Well, it wasn’t! It was totally wacked up. Once I jumped over Bowser and pressed the button with the cross bones that he was protecting. He died, and I thought, "Yesss! I’ve beaten it!"

But I didn’t. That was only Phase One of the test. I had to beat him when he was super big and spit giant fire balls. And you had to go through a course while doing it! So I flew up on to a piece of land.

Jump! Punch! Kick! I was going through the course so fast I thought I would die any second!

I had five lives and Henry had one I was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wobbly!

I had one more jump to go!

Henry had zero lives left!

I made the landing and pressed the red button!

Boom!

I had beaten Bowser!

Kick, Punch, Win!

THE END

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 09:55 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

Surprise!

One Saturday morning in Atlanta, Georgia, I made an important phone call.

“Daddy, get me a puppy right this instant!”

The reason why I called my dad to get me a dog, was because I felt alone. I was the only girl in my family, including my mom. I mean, I can’t play with my mom because she’s too busy. My mom doesn’t feel lonely because she has my dad, my two brothers and me. Know you can see why I was so lonely.

After I had made the phone call I felt proud of myself. Soon I was going to get a puppy to play with. Then I would feed it, play with it, and maybe clean its pee. But it will be all worth it because I was going to have a friend.

I had to wait and wait and wait in my back yard. Suddenly, I thought to myself, "What if my dad doesn’t get what I want? What if he doesn’t get me a small dog? Because that’s what I want!"

Then I heard the car engine, vroom, vroom. It was my dad’s car! I was so excited I started to scream! I ran as fast as I could to the front yard with a big smile and said, “Yes! Finally you came daddy!”

Then this big dog came out of the car. I was so perplexed because I asked for a puppy not a big dog.

“And the puppy?” I said politely.

“There he is,” said my dad with a proud look on his face.

I started to cry and ran to my room. I never wanted to see my dad's face again.

I looked out the window in my room, and then I realized that the dog wasn’t bad after all. The dog was playing with my brothers outside in my front yard.

“Go doggy, go fetch!” said one of my little brothers.

Then I said to myself, "Maybe I’ll give it a try."

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

In my opinion, Halloween is the best day in the fall. Every year before Halloween I go shopping for my costume. My dad takes my brother, my mom, and me to Party City to buy our costume for Halloween. When we get home from Party City, I always go try on my costume to see if it fits.

“Perfect”, I said. “I just can’t wait for Halloween!”

By 7:00 pm Halloween night, my uncle, aunt, and cousins arrived at my house. When we left my house to go trick or treating my cousins and I got excited. I knew I was going to get a lot of candy from the people giving candy.

We went to knock on the first house's door.

“Trick-or-treat!” the three of us yelled.

Then the nice lady gave us a few pieces of candy.

“Mmmm, M & M’s! My favorite!”

Next, we got to a scary house. I got excited because I thought they would give us a lot of candy. The house had ghosts hanging from trees. The scariest part was a guy had a fake chain saw that was really loud. He had the chain saw on a table and whenever he pressed a button on the chain saw, it made a loud chain saw noise.

Finally we got home, and I was tired.

A half an hour later my brother came with his bag all ripped up. My brothers bag was ripped up because he had a lot of candy and the candy was to heavy for the bag.

I can’t wait for next year’s Halloween.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 02:28 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

In the story "the dot," a girl named Vashti is having trouble in Art class. She is mad because she couldn’t draw. Her teacher told her to make a mark. Vashti jabbed her paint brush on her paper. Then, her teacher told her to sign it. Vashti kept practicing drawing dots. Her art work gets better, and she starts to feel like an artist. At the end of the story, Vashti helped a little boy draw. He thought that he couldn’t draw, but Vashti told him to make a mark. She made the boy feel that he could draw, just like how her art teacher did.

When I reread the dot, I realized it was all about never giving up. Vashti thought she could not draw. She said, “I can’t draw, but I can sign my name.” She also jabbed her paper because she was mad. She kept practicing and realized she could draw. Vashti did not give up. So "the dot" is really about perseverance.

Like in "the dot" I was playing soccer with my dad and when I kicked it I thought I could kick it better. So, when I kicked it again I did better. It’s like when Vashti made better circles. The lesson I learned was practice makes perfect.

Article posted November 28, 2011 at 09:45 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

Bloody Head

If you’re wondering why I would be looking at a closet with a hole and a little red stain, here’s the story.

It all started when we were having a race in a place called KEEPS, and this girl was ahead of me. I wanted to tap her on the back and say, “I give up.” But instead of that, I she ran headfirst into the closet. (At least she won the race.)

Suddenly there was only silence in the room. Then there were gasps in the room. Staff was running to the kitchen, trying to find a wet cloth. She cried a very high pitched sound. The smell of tears and blood stung my nose. Luckily, the October wind blew the smell away. I looked at her face. It was beyond what my eyes could handle.

“What happened,” she said.

Nobody said a word.

“Well” she said impatiently.

It was a brutal sight to look at her. I wanted to go to a different room, but guilt weighed me down.

Seeing her head made me feel scared.

Now I will always be carful of my actions. Safety is always first.