Copyright (c) 2014 by SinisterBunny Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
SinisterBunny -- Blogmeister

SinisterBunny-

We are Mr. Brune's 5th Grade at Mamaroneck Avenue School in Mamaroneck, NY, USA!

by SinisterBunny teacher: MAS 5B 2011 - 2012
i-Prints 05/11
Miro 05/11
Final Pioneer Diary Entry 05/10
Poetry 04/24
Inquiry 03/25
Return to the Moon 03/11
Literary Essay 01/12
Self Portraits 10/21
Sculpture 12/02
Revision 11/22
School Report 10/31
Personal Narrative 10/26
A True Story From Your Life 10/21
Independent Writing 10/21

Title: Final Pioneer Diary Entry (05/10/12)
Description: In 1843 more than one thousand men, women, and children left Independence, Missouri in one wagon train (the largest ever) to set out for the new Oregon Territory.

After a long and perilous journey on the Hacker Trail, in November of 1843 heavy snow began to fall in Snow Pass, the last pass into Oregon Territory. The wagon trains had to make an important last decision: to head directly to Snow Pass and hope the trail was still open; to send scouts ahead to Snow Pass; to spend the winter in High Valley, or to turn around and head back to Paradise, the nearest settlement.

Each wagon train talked and argued. They realized they could not waste time; they had to make a quick decision.

After their decision, the pioneers spent some of their precious time and dwindling energy reflecting on their journey and speculating about the future that lay ahead. . . .

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:27 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 494

My life on the way to Oregon has been happy and sad at the same time. My only daughter, Shannon, died of a fever but my son, William, got married and had two little baby girls!

Today, we had to make the decision if we should go to Oregon or stay and wait for the weather to change. My idea was to send scouts ahead and if they don’t return in three days, go back to Paradise. Sarah Morris liked my idea but everyone else wanted to just go to Paradise. We will go back to Paradise and stay there until spring.

I want to go to Oregon! Wasn’t that why I left my home, friends, and family!? I except to not have a good land when I get to Oregon because more people will take the good land.

If I could tell other people what this would be like, bring water, food, animal feed, and realize life will be hard!

Sincerely,

Anna Ives

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:18 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 75

Dear Diary,

This may been the last time I'm writing an entry, a dear diary entry. I hope the rest of the trail is safe and NO MORE STRESS. I'm done with stress since leaving home has been an adventure. I have gone through so much with my family and my wagon train. I have definitely missed the people we have left behind. Oh, momma and papa, if you see this diary entry I just want to tell you I love you so very much! I definitely went through so much stress, pain, happiness, and so much care and help from the others. Everyone had pitched in in some way for water, food and more.

There have been some memorable moments on the way to Oregon. One of the worst things that happened to me and my family is when I had Ally May Addams. (That’s not the worst thing that’s one of the best.) Well, when I had Ally, only a month later my poor baby got sick and passed away. I cried for one whole month. The weather has just killed us, from the rain not stopping to the snow. What did I do to you mother nature?!

Allen in my wagon train, his son and Fred’s daughter got engaged. Her ring is beautiful.

Our decision was to go to the left of Snow Pass! I think that our decision was a good one because we are going to be able to go to Oregon fast. We will have the first pick on the place we will be staying in Oregon. I also think there might be not as much snow in the way.

I hope to expect good things. There has been something that I wanted to tell my wagon but I'm scared to so this is what’s on my mind. I am pregnant with my 4th baby! (Really my 5th 'cause of Ally.) I can’t wait to have my little baby girl in my hand.

I hope to expect nothing bad. If it’s going to be bad can it just be a little rain, nothing more. I want everything to be good. . .everything.

Following pioneers, I hope everything goes safe for you and your wagon. It is always good to pack extra supplies because on the way to Oregon you’re going to need them. There are shortcuts in the trail and I'm telling you they help. Sometimes you can take the shortcut in life and in a trail.

I'm sad to say, but this might be my last diary entry.

So goodbye,

Katharine Adams

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 08:44 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

de5

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:29 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

We have hit Snow Pass, the last trail until Oregon. Oh, how am I so excited! But me and my wagon train had to make a big decision. You see, our trail guide has told us that it is snowing, and it is the 4th storm of the winter and its only NOVEMBER! So we had to figure out what we should do!

First I want to tell you about what has been happening. Juan and Robert have been fighting about for who gets more bacon. Sometimes there are very awkward moments when we are in the same wagon, but I really want to tell one of them to stop fighting about dumb bacon!

One thing that I am going to remember for my whole life is that on April 1st Juan, Robert and Dr. Dan played a trick on me. I really don't like what they did because it wasted a lot of food. The trick was when I walked into my bunkbed they started throwing eggs and more eggs and more eggs at me. I was so soaked with egg yoke. They wasted about 75 eggs. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t in their wagon train for things like that.

But back to that decision. We had to figure out whether to head directly to Snow Pass, send scouts to see what was going on, spend the winter in High Valley or turn around and head back to Paradise. We chose to send scouts out to see what was going to happen because all the other ones would either take too long or are too risky.

If I had to give any advice to any other pioneers I would say to stay strong and always be positive because there is always going to be obstacles but you will get through them. And if there is someone you hate don’t dream about shooting them like I did. Just ignore them because if you do it will lead to bad, bad things.

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:11 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

Date: ???

Our journey is almost over. Many things have happened since I left Missouri. We had good times and bad times. Like I lost my wife and daughter, and I got shot with an arrow. My family is barely alive but they are trying their best to stay alive.

It was a very dangerous trip. Luckily my wagon train said we should go back to Paradise.

It is very cold out there. I don’t think we're going to make it there alive. I hope I live! Please God, help me live.

Oh, no, the snow is getting higher. These are my last words! To any pioneer going to Oregon to live a better li----

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:26 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

Dear Journal,

This has been a rough trip since Independence. A lot of things have happened. Some of the interesting things were when I got married, I found out that I am going to have a son, Minnie’s stuff got washed away, and her husband got captured by Injuns, Marie had a baby, and her son got pneumonia!

Our final decision is to go around Snow Pass. I expect to get there soon.

If you're reading this you're on your way to Oregon. It’s a long journey, but it’s worth it in the end.

Good Luck,

Clarence Jones

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:17 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

Early November

Dear Diary,

After leaving Sunshine Pass so many things have happened. These might be the very last words I say. . . .My baby girl Katrina is only two months old, and she might have to live without her mother or even die young. Poor baby girl. She is the only thing I hope to live for. . . .After what happened to Michael. . . .Oh, Michael, you were so young! Well, besides that, Clarence’s dog got bitten by a rabid coyote! Poor dog, had to get his little leg cutoff. . . .I don’t think I would ever be able to bear the pain of seeing by own dog's leg cut off.

Well, now we're heading around Snow Pass. (I never agreed to that, but I’m a nice person so I’m going to let it go.) I am so weak right now. I don’t even have enough strength to finish this diary entry. . . .But the nerve of Minnie to want my 9 year old son Matthew! I mean, my little Matthew! I would never give up my own baby child! (Even though he’s no longer my baby.) Even though she lost her son, she can’t have mine!

Now I have used up all my energy on how mad I was so now I must end my diary entry. I hope I don’t die. I hope my family thinks of me when I’m gone. My goodness, I hope I live to see my family.

Love and Best Wishes

Marie Colloni ♥

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:24 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 78

Dear Diary,

This might be my last words of my life.

Now I will tell you my life on the trail. It has been a collision of hot and cold, life or death, and desert and rapids. This has been my greatest adventure of my life (and it might be my last). This has been my dangerous life on the Oregon Trail. It better be worth it or I will commit suicide. My “Guest” Is trashing my place. And now I need to sleep, hearing a baby cry everyday.

The events that will stick with me is how I got dysentery. I almost died. And how Katherine had a baby but died soon after ALLEN LONG killed her. My wagon train person stole my bacon. I think Roger Eller stole it. I saw him, and I stole his flour.

Our wagon train's decision is to make a shortcut through the mountains. When I go to the Hacker Valley I will find the best place and eat baaaacon!

And for anybody reading this, the wagon train master of all masters might change the fates.

Well, if I survive, I will meet ya'.

Sincerely,

Pat Richards

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:14 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 40

Name: Irene Brown

Date: Don’t know at all but I thing it is November!

The trip since leaving Ohio has been OK. It is not the best, but it’s joyful that everyone is still alive. I got better and going on the trail was like the only time I have gotten sick so I regret that part. The trip itself has been stressful but fun because we are traveling parts of the world. It is stressful because we have had devastation and troublesome times. But thankfully they are all great memories.

We had lots of memorable events since leaving Fort Independence. One memorable event was when my daughter Shannon got married and then had twin girls. Another event was when I was so weak and so sick I really thought I was going to die. A memorable thing was when we sent out all of our husbands to look and they all came back healthy and not sick or hurt. Caleb got shot with an arrow in the chest and surprisingly lived but suffered through it. A lot of people died and that was a very sad, memorable tragedy.

The decision my wagon train made was to go back to Paradise. Anna Ives and Sarah Morris didn’t like the decision but we all bribed them to go along with it. I loved the decision because there is everything we need in Paradise and we don’t want to die by getting stuck in the heavy snow. When the snow is cleared we are going to make our way to Oregon. I feel very safe with this decision because I know that Paradise is safe and has everything we need to survive during the heavy falling snow.

I expect a lot of my wagon train friend members will stay alive because of our decision. I think this because Paradise is a great place. But I expect next spring when we go to Snow Pass people will die. It is life, though.

My advise for future pioneers is that they need to play it safe. They also need to try their best to do things even if you are running low on energy. The best advise is to have fun and enjoy the rest of the life you have.

These may be my last words but they might be the first words of my new life.

I wish my family and everyone traveling lots of luck,

Love

Irene Brown

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:16 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 90

Dear Diary,

Well, this could be the last time I am ever gonna' write to yall’ and I am almost dead. It feels like just yesterday I left Texas and I cannot believe that I am almost in Oregon. The trail has been nice over the summer and fall and even spring. Sometimes I look up at the sky and imagine myself doing things. Achieving my dream is one of them. I am thinking of my ma and pa every minute of every day. Thinking about how they died by drinking and such. I also think of my home town back in Cuba. I was so happy there. I remember getting sent to Texas and living with my uncle Julio. I decided to come here because my ma and pa always said to me, “Follow your dreams, Juan. Just follow your dreams.” God, I miss them so much.

The trail has been hard. We had to make so many decisions along the trail. Just today we had to decide what to do, go back to Paradise or send scouts to Snow Pass. We chose Snow Pass. I have done so much since Independence. I got married and had seven kids. My wife is Dr. Dan’s daughter. I really hope my wife and kids still love me. I hope they know that I tried my best to make them happy.

I love you Jack, John, Juan, Rose, Abby, Melissa and William.

If any pioneers in the future find my diary, read this because this is the best thing that’s happened to me in a long time. Also decide carefully about what you should do.

All of the best,

Juan Hernandez

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 08:45 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 66

de5

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:29 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

Dear Diary,

This may be the last time I am writing to you. We sent two scouts out while the rest of our wagon train goes to Paradise.

The trip has had a lot of fates. My wife died. A lot of people died.

I like the choice we made. I hope that when we reach Oregon I will help save lives as a doctor just like I helped the people on my wagon train.

If lost, please follow the following exactly: make your own trail.

That's all. I am very tired.

Dr. Dan

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:22 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

I’m scared of this trip. This trip has done no good! I first lost all my livestock. We are freezing to death! It's like two degrees here! My son froze in the middle of the trail! I had to give him a cream that goes on your body that warms him up. My daughter was always crying because she thought that her husband was going to die and leave her pregnant! I told her that she isn’t going to be alone, that I'm always with her, and if I die her father and brother will be there! She started to cry even more! My dad died, and I cried like I was a waterfall. This is how it went. He froze and wouldn’t talk and he wouldn’t move. My husband screamed, “Elizabeth! Your father died! Come quick!” I went, and we buried him there in the snow. I left flowers there, and I hope when I die I will lay right next to him!

Since it has been snowing like a blizzard and the snow blocked the pass we thought to go right off the path and go right. We decided this because there are no mountains and trees and since there’s no mountains and trees we can just go through the clear space! Honestly, I'm scared but I tell my children that I love them and that we might be safe! I hope that this is the right trail to take!

I expect to be safe and to find nice land! I also except to not find death. I also want to see all these wagons be safe and sound when we get there. I also except to be with my family and live a beautiful life with them!

My advice to give to any pioneer is to make wise decisions and be with your family. Never leave your family alone! Have the right material for weather! Spring, winter, fall, and summer! Have the right clothes too. These may be my last words!

Best wishes,

Elizabeth Mingo

Article posted May 11, 2012 at 07:12 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

de5

de52

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:13 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 149

?/? /?

Dear Diary,

This may be the last words I say. We are now at Snow Pass in early November, and it is the forth snow that Snow Pass has had. It is really cold here, and I think my toes are dead. Emily really misses her dad. She thinks it is not cold at all. I think she is going to get sick.

You already now that I have lived with Laura Swanson. Again she is the nicest person in the world. And also, even though I don’t live with Marie Colloni, she is also vary nice to me. She sometimes makes me some food for me and Emily. Emily really loves to play with Katrina. She loves her like a sister because she reminds her of her brother Harry. Now that I think of it, she does look like Harry with the curly brown hair and that big smile she has.

Well back to the point. We are going around Snow Pass because on the map it says there are no trees in the way. So that is why we are going around Snow Pass. I hope there is no snow in the way because I don’t want to die and never accomplish my dreams.

Well, if get to Hacker Valley (and if Fate lets us live), I hope I can make a new life in Oregon. I want to make a new life and live forever.

Best wishes,

Minnie Flag

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:27 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

Mabel Moore

Diary entry

Early Nov. 1887

Well, these might be the last words I write. It has been a tough trip from Independence, Missouri. Everything has been alright since I have left home.

My daughter, Jenny, has made many friends. We have experienced some tough situations, but it has been alright. Anna’s son and Irene’s child getting married, Caleb’s wife and daughter getting lost, Abigail’s son’s dieing, Sarah’s son’s death and so many more. (Nothing really happened to me). Those were some good and bad times.

Well, our decision was to go back to Paradise. I am happy about the decision our wagon made. In Paradise, it is, well, Paradise! Everything is peaceful there. My daughter wanted to stay there! Even though the guide said some of the land might be taken already, I still want to go to Paradise. It even made my wagon earn a little more energy!

What I expect to happen next is to not DIE! I want to live and prove to myself that I can live. I want everyone to be safe, and I don’t want anything bad happening to our wagon. All that stuff that happened before is too much!

Well, my advice for the future pioneers is good luck!

Sincerely,

Mabel Moore

P.S. Watch out for that Wagon Master of all Wagon Masters!

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:20 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

What day is it??

Since leaving my home in Sweden, I have sometimes regretted going to Oregon. I really doubt we’re gonna' make it. There have been many things on the trail that were bad, but our wagon train dealt with it. Minnie lost her husband and her supplies. My husband got bit by a rattle snake and I lost most of my animals. Some good things also happened! Clarence and Christina got married, and they are about to have a little baby child. We lost a lot of water and then it rained so much we had too much water. A lot of different things happened a long the trail.

Many memorable things happened along the trail. As you know, Christina and Clarence got married and are about to have a baby. Also Marie just gave birth to her little baby. It’s such a wonderful sight to see her baby playing and laughing. She is the cutest thing. Oh, now I remember, Clarence and Christina just got his ring like five minutes ago! I don’t really have a good memory!

My wagon train and I decided to go off the path and around the mountains and trees and into Hacker’s Valley. Marie didn’t agree, but she signed it! So, HA Marie! I usually get my way with decisions, but I’m not really so sure about our decision anymore. Fate is making me pretty nervous about our decision. Fate acts like we’re gonna' die, and when I think about it I think we might! I really do hope we don’t die! Maybe I should’ve done what Irene Brown convinced her wagon to do which is stay in Paradise. Well, I guess we won’t know who’s right until Oregon!

I expect we will die because of Fate! Thanks a lot Fate! Fate has made me so nervous about our decision. Then again, if we get to Oregon I can tell Fate that I was right! Even though I believe Fate more than I believe that we will get to Oregon. I hope that we get to Oregon so my animals can eat the lush green grass and drink the sweet water. I hope that we can build a house made out of wood that is warm and cozy for the winter.

My advice for future pioneers is always go on the safe trails because you always know you will be safe. Whatever or not you do, don’t use weapons for everything because it usually ends up bad. Try to escape as many fates as you can because usually they are bad! Remember I said usually the fates are bad. That doesn’t mean always. Remember your wagon members may not always be nice, and you should try to get along with them because you are stuck with them until Oregon! I hope you survive, future pioneer!

I do hope we get to Oregon, but I seriously doubt it!

Best Wishes,

Laura Swanson

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:18 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 40

Dear Journal,

We're almost home! I can feel the grass in my hands. I hope to make a Church and make my profession come true!

Something crazy happened! James Wright shot Dr.Dan's cattle in the head and ate it with his family. When I heard that gun shot, I scared the wheat and sheep out of ma' self!

This might be last writing ever in my life. . . .Ma' wife ain’t feeling right. I swear that young man is quite the chatter box. Dr.Dan said that ma' foot is better, and I can run like a horse through fields of grass and sugar wheat!

I heard this fella Caleb Buttburn got his family stuck in a problem and ate his family.

I hope to make it to Oregon really bad. If not, please remember what I wrote and make sure ma' wife is safe. . . .

Neva' thought a man would be crying like this. . . .

From Robert Rise

~May God Bless A Holy Priest~

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 08:47 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

Image1

Image2

Image3

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:15 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

So many things have happened to me since I left home from Illinois. I lost my son. Some people in my wagon train got married. Such joy for them. My husband almost died, but he is still alive. My wagon master got shot with an arrow in his side.

I have lost so many things since I left Fort Independence. But the most important thing I lost was my son, Joey. He was my oldest son. He could pick you up like a doughnut. I hope when I meet my son in heaven I will touch his hand and check if he still is Joey. He is probably checking out a girl.

We picked to go to Paradise because it is the safest trail. I thought it was a good decision. My kids will finally go to school again. I hope they become rich like me.

I expect that I will be in safe by the lord in Paradise. I also expect to find a little challenge but still good coming out of the challenge.

If you are a pioneer make sure you get a lot of water and don’t mess with fate or it will PUNCH YOU TO DEATH! I am just kidding. Fate will just make you suffer.

Best luck,

Abigail Shepard

Article posted May 11, 2012 at 07:12 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 57

de5

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:23 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 245

Dear Diary,

Ever since my family and I left home I have been dreaming of Oregon. If only my son could be with me. I still remember the screams of my son drowning. The nightmare haunts me and yet there is more to come.

I have made a few friends over the trail. One of them was James. He was a good fellow, very kind and nice. I still remember a lot of events like when Paul Brian's son died.

We had to make a lot of important decisions, like when we had to decide on which trail to take. The most important (maybe last) decision we had to make was when we hit Snow Pass. There was a lot of arguing because if we get to Snow Pass too late the whole trail will be buried, and we will be trapped. There was a lot of yelling. Some said we should go back to Paradise. Others said we should just head directly to Snow Pass. We finally decided on sending scouts (Paul Brian and I) ahead to see if the pass is clear or not.

I expect good things to happen next. This may be my last diary entry of my life, so whoever is reading this, good luck and always stay strong.

Nate Page