Copyright (c) 2014 by pbandj23 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
pbandj23 -- Blogmeister

welcome to my webpage-

We are Mr. Brune's 5th Grade at Mamaroneck Avenue School in Mamaroneck, NY, USA!

by pbandj23 teacher: MAS 5B 2011 - 2012
i-Prints 05/11
Miro 05/11
Final Pioneer Diary Entry 05/10
Poetry 04/24
Inquiry 03/25
Return to the Moon 03/11
Literary Essay 01/12
Self Portraits 10/21
Sculpture 12/02
Revision 11/22
School Report 10/31
Personal Narrative 10/26
A True Story From Your Life 10/21
Independent Writing 10/21

Title: Inquiry (03/25/12)

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 359

Aliens

Aliens could be another one of us! Where would an alien live? It could live near the sun, outside our solar system or near the moon observing the planets. What would an alien be made out of? It would be made out of carbon, water and silicon. Aliens are made of some of the same things we are made out of. How do aliens view earth? Aliens can see where land and water separate, and aliens can see some planets where they are located. Aliens can be anywhere!

alien pic!

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 09:40 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

Image2

Ever wondered how this universe began? Well, there is a theory that is pretty accurate. The big bang theory.

The big bang happened about 14 billion years ago. Then, the universe was held by a tiny red ball called a singularity. Eventually it was too much for the ball to handle, and it exploded. After it exploded the temperature was over 10,000,000 degrees. But the temperature cooled down.

In the 1940s Georges Lemaite made the big bang theory. He didn’t have much evidence to support it, and the theory was criticized by many people.

Later in the 1960s-the 1990s evidence of the big bang was discovered. Using telescopes scientists found remains of the big bang. They also found out that the universe keeps on expanding.

And that is probably how the universe began. Remember its just a theory. Who knows? Maybe when time machines are invented we might really find out how the universe began.

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 57

There are a lot of questions about dark matter, and I think I can answer some of those questions.

Fritz Zwicky is a scientist that discovered dark matter. He said, “You can’t see dark matter but you can see stars around it.” Believe it or not, most of the dark matter in space went to the 4th dimension. But we still have a lot of dark matter. Dark matter is like a ghost; there is a lot in space but it just looks like black air. Dark matter was not even detected by a telescope but with a telescope, you can see the stars around it.

I hope I answered most of your questions.

Image1

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 56

There is not just one solar system there is also a second solar system. Anything beyond Neptune was the outer solar system. Planet X was the name given to a theoretical planet. Pluto was thought to be the missing planet but it wasn’t massive enough because it was a dwarf planet. The Kuiper belt is a ring of icy debris orbiting the sun and beyond Neptune. So remember that there is more than one solar system.

Outer Solar System image

Article posted March 13, 2012 at 02:48 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 45

The ISS

What is the International Space Station (ISS)? The ISS is a spacecraft 240 miles away from earth. The ISS started in 1998. It was then completed 13 years later in 2011. It is somewhat difficult to go to the ISS. There are two ways that you can get there. You can get there by our U.S. Space Shuttle, or by a Russian Soyuz Space Craft. It is international because 16 countries built it! So remember, the ISS isn’t just for us, it’s international!

iss

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 51

Exoplanets

Exoplanets are very hard to find from a good telescope. They are from other galaxies. They can be spotted orbiting stars. Exoplanets may have the Earth-like resources. For example, water. Every living thing needs water. Next, a living organism needs good temperatures. No planet we found is near a good temperatures rate. Mars and Venus are too hot and Pluto and Neptune are too cold. So none of our planets in the Milky Way has a suitable temperature. There are three different ways to find an Exoplanet. First, they are near stars. They need light. They are far away so it has to be small. And it is super bright. There are probes that collect light for research. There are two probes. Corot and Kelper. So remember, Exo-planets are very interesting and from other galaxies! So try to find one!

exoplanets

Article posted March 27, 2012 at 01:43 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

Solar System

The solar system is big and made up of a lot of things.

There is a whole process to how the solar system started. First it started as a mass. Then eventually it explodes and becomes a cocomesa star. Then clusters become galaxies. That is how the Solar system forms.

As I said before, the solar system is made up of a lot of things. It is made up of stars and asteroids. It is also made up of planets. The planets are: Neptune, Uranus, Jupiter, Earth, Mercury, Venus, Mars and Saturn.

Venus is one of the planets in the solar system. Venus is really hot. It is 450 degrees Celcius. Also, Venus is like a twin to earth. This is because they are about the same size. The only difference is that they are not the same colors.

Always remember, the solar system is made up of a lot of things and that is why it is so big.

solar system

Article posted March 22, 2012 at 09:12 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 38

Did you know that the sun gives light to the whole world?! The sun is made up of a gas called plasma. The distance from the sun to the center of the galaxy is 25,000 light years away.(A light year is the distance light travels in one year.) Did you know that if the sun moves back one inch everything on the earth will freeze and be dead? And if the sun moves forward one inch everything will burn? Of what we see of the sun, the temperature is about 5,500 degrees C. The sun is 1,000,000 times the size of the earth. It is the biggest star in the galaxy! The sun is 150,000 KM away from the earth. So remember, the sun gives light to the whole world, so don’t look up at the sun directly because it will burn your eyes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83951220@N00/6875463976/" title="sun by MAS5, on Flickr">http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7179/6875463976_e000787ab8_m.jpg" width="240" height="183" alt="sun">

Article posted March 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

Uranus Mysteries

Have you ever heard of Uranus? It sounds funny right? Well, scientists pronounce it (yur-uh-nis).

Do you know anything about Uranus' rings? Let me introduce their names: Miranda, Ariel, Umbriel, Titania and Obreon.

Let me tell you something about Uranus. First of all, it is tilted 90 degrees on its angle. One side has about 42 years of darkness. (Ahhh! Scary!)

The North and South Pole point to the sun. (I wonder how it does that?!)

Now for more fun facts. It was found by a British astronomer. His name was William Hershel. It is also the farthest planet from the sun.

This is how much I know about Uranus, and this is how much you should know or even more.

space inquary

Article posted March 27, 2012 at 01:47 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

Venus is the hottest planet. Earth is colder than the moon and Venus. The moon is colder than Venus, but hotter than Earth. Venus is hotter than Earth and the moon. Venus is that hot because it’s closest to the sun. The Earth doesn’t have phases, but the moon and Venus do have phases. The Earth has a moon, but the moon doesn’t have a moon because it’s a moon! Venus doesn’t have a moon. So remember, that Venus is closer to the sun so it is going to be hot!

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

You will learn fantastic facts about an awesome planet called Jupiter! Jupiter will take you to a new journey!

GAS GIANT

Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system. All planets can fit in Jupiter. Jupiter has a pale orange color. Scientists call Jupiter a gas giant. Jupiter has a strong magnetic field.

WEATHER ON JUPITER

Jupiter has huge storms. You may not believe it, but it does. Jupiter has a red spot that has huge storms and hurricanes more powerful than ours. Jupiter has powerful lightning and weather. Hurricanes on Jupiter are two times the size of earth. These storms can harm us.

MOONS

Jupiter has 16 moons. Can you believe that? Europa is one of them. Europa is an ice planet. It’s two times as cold as Antarctica. There are lots of other moons too, but this one caught my attention.

Image1

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 40

The Blue Planet!

Did you know that Neptune is the farthest planet from the sun? Well, this is a true fact. I am going to teach you all about the planet Neptune.

Neptune has a different orbit than Earth’s orbit around the sun. Earth takes 365 days to orbit the sun. Neptune takes 165 years to go around the sun one time.

Do you think that Neptune is close to the sun or far away? Neptune is the farthest plant from the sun. It is 2,790 million miles away from the sun. Neptune has a small rocky core. Since, Neptune is the farthest plant from the sun it is extremely cold there. It is the coldest planet in the solar system.

Did you know that Neptune has a moon just like planet Earth? Neptune’s moon is called Triton. It is an active moon. This means that there are geysers and volcanoes on Triton. Geysers spew out nitrogen gas and methane ice. The volcanos do not have lava because the planet Neptune is too cold.

So that’s some facts about Neptune. I hope I answered all your questions about the plant Neptune.

Image1

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

Cell Phones for Emergencies!

Some people think kids shouldn’t be allowed to have cell phones in school. In my opinion kids should be allowed to bring cell phones to school.

One reason why cell phones should be allowed in school is in case of an emergency. There has been school closing because of snowstorms, flooding, and gas leak. When there is an emergency the school has to call all of the families. The problem is that sometimes the parent doesn’t get the message fast enough. Sometimes they are working and don’t hear the phone. If a kid had a cell phone they can keep calling there parents to get picked up from school. In an emergency I wouldn’t like being the last kid in school.

Another reason why cell phones should be allowed in school is so kids can communicate with their parents. For example if I need to stay after school I can easily call my parent to pick me up later. This will prevent my babysitter from coming at 3:00 o’clock.

Many adults think kids shouldn’t bring cell phones to school. In my opinion it’s better to be safe than sorry. I think kids should be allowed to bring cell phones to school!

Article posted March 22, 2012 at 09:08 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

Black Holes!

If you ever plan to go to space one day, remember there are Black Holes every where and you can get trapped in them forever.

Have you ever thought how a black hole is made? Well, it is made out of dying stars. When a star dies, it is when all of the fuel goes down and it explodes, but scientists say it can also be made out of billions of pieces of dust and matter that get together out of the galaxy.

Do you know the strength of a black hole? It can trap light, and it can never come out. It is like a big vacuum cleaner in space!

Did you know how big it can get? Very big! It can go to 5ft, 10ft, 1mile, 100 miles, etc.

Do you know what happens next? It gets smaller, and smaller and smaller and it disappears.

So remember, if one day you go to space and see an exploding star, try not to get near it because if you do, it is a black hole and you can never get out of it… EVER!

Image1

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

Galaxies are mysteries of the sky, all unique in their own way. Come explore with me about galaxies, our Milky Way, and more.

Now, you might be wondering how galaxies are made. Just, how did they appear in our universe? Well, I’m here to answer your questions. Galaxies are made up of stars, dust, and crumpled up pieces of rock from space. Now, there are three different types of galaxies. The first type is called resular galaxies. They don’t always have the same shape. In fact, no one can tell what shape they are because they are always different! They contain very young stars and lots of dust and rock. The second kind of galaxies are called spiral galaxies. As you might have guessed, are shaped like spirals. Our Milky Way is a spiral galaxies. They contain middle aged stars with a medium amount of dust and gas. The third type of galaxies are called Elipticed galaxies. They don’t always have the same shape, but they usually are in the shape of a circle or an oval.

Now that you’ve learned the basics of galaxies, here are some facts for you that you can go home today and say to your parents, “Hey mom! Guess what I learned today!” and have her not know the answer! Or, quiz your older brother right before his science! Did you know that there is almost always a black hole in the middle of a galaxy? Our Milky Way has one, too. So don’t go walking into the Milky Way any time soon! Or, gravity is always pushing galaxies either away or closer to one another? (But they are usually getting pushed away.)

Hope you learned about galaxies with me!

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

COMETS!

Have you ever thought about comets? First, I’m going to tell you the parts of a comet. It first starts off with ice and then it turns to gas. That forms the coma(the head of the comet) and it has sort of a haze. The dust-ions make the tail. We can see comets because the gas from the tail releases energy absorbed from the sun, and that causes it to glow. So, when it glows from earth it looks like a star with a haze around it. Sometimes you can see it move, other times you can’t. One last thing, some astronomers think that comets brought earth water and stuff to help living things. Well, now you know about comets!

Comet

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 02:50 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 77

Pluto

Pluto is one of the most interesting planets I know. Pluto was discovered by Clyde Tombaugh in 1930. In 2006, Pluto was considered a dwarf planet, and it was considered the 9th planet in our solar system. Did you know that there is a probe expected to fly to Pluto in 2015? Pluto is a dwarf planet as you know, but there are also many other dwarf planets like Pluto. Their names are Ceres, Haumea, Makemake, Eris. Ceres was discovered in 1801 and considered the largest asteroid. Eris is the same size as Pluto and it is considered the 10th planet. Pluto is light brown with dark brown swirly stripes. It is composed of rock and ice and is covered with frozen methane. It also has a small atmosphere of nitrogen. Here are some other facts about Pluto: Its diameter is 1,460 miles. The temperature is probably 385 degrees. Pluto’s distance from the sun is 3,670,050,000. As you can see Pluto is a very important part in our solar system.

Picture of Pluto

Article posted March 27, 2012 at 01:34 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

Stars in Our Galaxy

The Sun isn’t the biggest star in our Galaxy, but it’s the biggest star in our Solar System.

Stars are a burning ball of gas, but from Earth it looks like a twinkle of light. The Sun is actually a star to it isn’t a planet at all or we would be able to stand on it.

A star has a life like us human, it soon will “die” or really burn out. Stars have a full life ahead of them. It takes a long time for a star to be finished “growing up”.

Humans are actually created from star dust. All of our bones are from different stars, if you are lefty, then you’re using a completely different Star from your right. Or if you kick with your right foot in a kind of sport, then you’re using a different star from your left.

We have many more stars to count, but if we didn’t have any stars we wouldn’t have been born.

Works Cited: Brain pop, Discovery Streaming, World Book Encyclopedia.

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

The Milky Way is our galaxy. It is very cool. Read on to find out more about this extraordinary galaxy. . . .

The Milky Way looks like a fried egg. You can see the Milky Way from your window. Our planet is located on the Arion arm. Some people say that there is a giant black hole in the center and that’s why stars swirl around the center of the Milky Way. In the Milky Way galaxy there are about 200 billion stars, some brighter than the sun! Can you imagine all those stars! There are also countless planets, some we have explored some we haven’t. But in the future, will the Milky Way change? Our galaxy was formed two when big groups of stars collided to make a galaxy. Our black hole in the middle of the Milky Way is so strong that it takes 100,000 years for light to pass through.

So do you think the Milky Way is going to change in the future?

Article posted March 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

asteroid picture

Asteroids are a big part of our solar system. Asteroids are made of very many things like, carbon, nickel, iron and many other things. Asteroids come from a main asteroid belt. Some asteroids don’t stay in the main asteroid belt. Most asteroids fall out and land on earth. Tiny asteroids burn up when they fall into our earth’s atmosphere. Any part of an asteroid that falls in to earth without burning up is called a meteorite. When you see a shooting star, it is probably an asteroid falling from the main asteroid belt into our atmosphere. Ceres is the largest asteroid. It is 933 kilometers long. It used to be counted as a planet, but now they count it has a dwarf planet because it is too small to be a planet.

So remember, asteroids are a big part of our solar system.

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

Did you know that Earth is covered by 70 % water and only 30 % land? This is a true fact. I am going to teach you some interesting information about our planet….Earth.

Where is the planet earth in the solar system? Earth is the third planet from the sun. This is the perfect distance from the sun because it is just the right temperature to support life. Life on earth needs the sun to survive. Plants need the sun to grow, and humans and animals need the sun to stay warm.

Even though we don’t fell the earth spinning, it is spinning. Do you know how long it takes earth to rotate on its axis? It takes earth one day to rotate on its axis. That’s why we have day time and night time. One day is 24 hours. Earth also revolves around the sun. It takes one year, which is 365 days, for Earth to revolve around the sun. That’s why Earth has four seasons: winter, spring, summer, and fall.

Earth has different temperatures depending on where you are located and the season. The highest temperature on earth was recorded in Libya, Africa at 136 degrees Fahrenheit. The lowest temperature on earth was recorded at the Vostok Station in Antarctica at -128.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

Earth is our home and it is an amazing place. I hope you learned some interesting facts about our planet!

Image1

Article posted March 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 177

Mars is the closest thing to earth. The temperature can change quickly, going from hot to cold. The climate and weather is just like ours. We have seasons, so does Mars. We have really cold temperatures in the North and the South Pole. So does Mars. Scientists are very excited to find life on earth. Possible sitings of water are on Mars which can lead into life. Mars could be the key to find life on another planet!