Copyright (c) 2014 by J Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
J -- Blogmeister

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Comments help us critique our ideas and our writing. They also motivate us to do more thinking, writing, sharing & revising. You can leave your thoughts on any particular article by clicking "comment" below it. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by J teacher: Derek Milloy

Article posted April 5, 2012 at 05:49 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 133

Our class has just finished reading a book called Touching Sprit Bear by Ben Mikealsen.

In the beginning of the book Cole Matthews was seen by other people as a Juvinile Delinquent. He was lying, not controlling his anger, and beating people up. This time aroungd Cole changed a lot. Now, he can finally control his anger and he can also control his actions, stay calm, and not do anything violent.

Cole was sent to the island for yet a second time, with a boy named Peter (Cole's latest victim) for a period of time. They've both changed a lot.

Cole has learned a lot of thing on his journey, and I did too. We have learned that we are the ones who control our life. I remember one supper Garvey said to Cole that "life is a hot dog". That quote means that life is what you want to choose to make it. Edwin told Cole that "What you do to animals you do to yourself, remember that". That quote taught me that if you tease and hurt an animal, you are trying to satisfy yourself in a cheap way.

Cole many, many things. He has made himself a better person with the help of Garvey, Edwin, and himself. Now Cole is a whole knew person. he learned that you are the one who controls your life.

Article posted April 5, 2012 at 04:00 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 55

In class in today's science, we took the Organise, Focus, & Get it Done Quiz. I got really good results on the quiz. Then I let a family member do it and they also got rally good results. I have a clean bag and I have a quiet workspace to focus on my homework. A good thing to help myself get enough sleep is to try to read a book before I go to sleep. I'm doing good compared to other kids surveyed.

Q.1)Why is sleep important?

A.1)Sleep is important because it gives you energy for the next day.

Q.2)What can happen if you don't get enough sleep?

A.1)You might feel very groggy, and not doing your best.

Q.3)How much sleep does a grade 6 student need?

A.3)A grade 6 student needs about 9.5 hour of sleep a day.

Q.4)What do you do now to help yourself to get a good night's sleep?

A.4)Try to sleep earlier.

Q.5)What steps can you take to make sure you are getting the sleep you need?

A.5)Read a book before going to sleep.

Article posted February 7, 2012 at 04:46 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 75

Something that is important in making a stop motion film is that you need a lot of focus and patiance. Learning together helped my group because when you got lost your group members would help you. Using animation helps me learn because I know how to make stop motion shortfilm.

Article posted February 1, 2012 at 02:18 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 73

I think that Cole made the right decision to throw the fur away because he wants to make people think that he's a changed and honest man now. He wants them to just belive him instead of showing proof that he isn't lying that he's actually telling the truth.

Article posted December 16, 2011 at 02:34 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 55

I think Cole is okay because when the spirit bear attacked him and Cole lost the fight he started thinking that he wasn't the strongest and toughest. Then he started to think about others and started to care about the world. Although Cole got very badly injured when Garvey asked Cole "are you okay"? and Cole responded "yes". Cole probably said yes because before Cole got brought to the hospital he finally saw the world slow down and got a chance to see how beautiful the world really is.

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 02:39 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 63

Basically the "Vow of Silence" is when you don't talk for a whole day, so you know what it feels like to be a child in poverty. Poverty is the lack of a certain amount things you need to survive or money.Many of children all over the world are affected by poverty. They are forced to join the army and die.

When I participated in the Vow of Silence I felt like I didn't have the ability to talk out, or I couldn't communicate with my friends. I tried my best to stay silent and not talk the whole day, but it was too hard. I noticed that with the lack of noise I could calculate and find my math answers quicker. My work was similar from other days because I usually don't talk when I calculate and equation. I found it very hard not to talk to my friends and ask for help. I liked the Vow of Silence because, I could concentrate on my work instead of getting distracted by my friends. In several parts of the day I thought of the children that have no political voice, and who can't speak everyday.

Article posted December 5, 2011 at 12:07 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 73

We are reading a book called "Touching Spirit Bear" by: Ben Mikaelsen. The book is about a fifteen year old boy named Cole Matthews who has been fighting and stealing for years. Cole's dad always gets drunk and beats him while his mother does nothing to stop her husband to stop beating her son. He takes out his anger at others and enjoys it. Every time he gets caught the police tell him "this is your last chance", but Cole has been told that several time and he knows that there are mo yet to come.

Cole try's to fill his bucket by doing crimes. The way he fills his "Power" need is he shows everybody that he's not afraid of anything and that he's the beat and no one can beat him. Cole fills his "Fun" need by making fun of people and taunting people. He fills his "Freedom" need by doing whatever he wants, like stealing things and doing crimes. Last, but not least he fills "Love and Belonging" by making sure he gets noticed because his parents never pay attention to him, he fills this need by beating people up and telling everybody about it.

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 06:38 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 88

We watched a movie called "Terry" the movie was about how the very famous Terry Fox started his Marathon of hope fundraiser and ended it. It was the kind of movie that you never wanted to end, the kind of movie that made you want to jump up and run around. In Terry's experience there were some down in his road like Terry had to get his leg amputated because of cancer and the cops told him to get off the highway. The ups in his road were he made the best of his amputated leg and he got really famous because of his Marathon of Hope fundraiser.

My first step to success would be to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into. The second step would be to plan ahead, things get much harder later. Third to believe in myself. And last step is to never give up no matter how hard it gets.