Copyright (c) 2014 by C Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
C -- Blogmeister

the story of domo

2011-2012

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Comments help us critique our ideas and our writing. They also motivate us to do more thinking, writing, sharing & revising. You can leave your thoughts on any particular article by clicking "comment" below it. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by C

teacher: Derek Milloy

Title: TSB Reflection (03/13/12)
Description: Reflect on Cole's journey. Write an article describing what you (we) learn from it. Your article should:
• show what Cole learned & what you learned
• use at least 3 examples of events from the novel to show / explain what you learned & why those lessons are important
• be revised and then proofread
• use good organization & complete sentences
• be reviewed by a peer before requesting publishing.

Article posted April 11, 2012 at 02:32 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 239

What I learned from this book is that it is impossible to get rid of your anger and I think Cole learned that too. For example you get into a fight with your mom, and you get angry. Right? Or you go for a walk and a dog leaves little surprise for you on the sidewalk and you don’t see it and guess what it’s not really your lucky day and well, you step in it, you get angry too, right. See you get angry if something bad happens to you no matter what.

I also learned you need to forgive other people, or else it’s going to come around and bite you in the butt. So let’s say you do something really bad as in really bad and someone tells on you. Are you going to take the consequences or are you going to take the head of the person that told on you and smash it to the ground and go to jail plus get sent to a really bad island and get torn up by a bear. Now that’s what happened to Cole. Ok, that might not happen to you but still, you should just forgive and forget instead of making it a big problem!

When I first read 'Touching Spirit Bear', I thought it would be boring. But I decided to read it anyway (Like I had a choice). The characters were all unique and  the author did a great job of bringing me into the story.

When the main character, Cole, nearly died, it felt like the whole story had flipped upside-down. The bully that Cole was known as saw the world in a different perspective, which was really important for the story, and taught us that anyone can change their ways.

I also learned a few things from the story, like life 'is what you make of it'(which taught me that you can look at things any way you want; good or bad), 'animals have something to teach us'(which tought me that you can learn something from any animal, like from taking care of a pet), and 'everything is part of a big circle'(which taught me that everything is connected in some way; even frogs and space dust).

All in all, Touching Spirit Bear was a book that I enjoyed a lot, and I think that it is a book which you can learn some pretty important lessons from.

The first time I read Touching Spirit Bear, I thought that it delivered no messages, and that it would be a bad book. But as we got further and further into it, I loved it. It delivered many good messages. Such as...

1.) You can’t get rid of other people’s anger until you get rid of yours.

2.) Life is like a circle, there is a beginning, and an end.

3.) I thought this quote reminds everyone to keep their chin up, "Fall Seven Times Stand up eight"

-Japanese Proverb.

What I learned is that you will NEVER be able to get rid of your anger, and that you need to be able to know you have control of your life, to be able to control it.

What I think the main character Cole learned is similar to what I learned, you can’t help others until you help yourself, You need to forgive, and more.

That is My reflection on Touching Spirit Bear.

-Faith

Article posted April 5, 2012 at 05:49 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 93

Our class has just finished reading a book called Touching Sprit Bear by Ben Mikealsen.

In the beginning of the book Cole Matthews was seen by other people as a Juvinile Delinquent. He was lying, not controlling his anger, and beating people up. This time aroungd Cole changed a lot. Now, he can finally control his anger and he can also control his actions, stay calm, and not do anything violent.

Cole was sent to the island for yet a second time, with a boy named Peter (Cole's latest victim) for a period of time. They've both changed a lot.

Cole has learned a lot of thing on his journey, and I did too. We have learned that we are the ones who control our life. I remember one supper Garvey said to Cole that "life is a hot dog". That quote means that life is what you want to choose to make it. Edwin told Cole that "What you do to animals you do to yourself, remember that". That quote taught me that if you tease and hurt an animal, you are trying to satisfy yourself in a cheap way.

Cole many, many things. He has made himself a better person with the help of Garvey, Edwin, and himself. Now Cole is a whole knew person. he learned that you are the one who controls your life.

Article posted March 29, 2012 at 05:02 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 56

What did Cole learned?

Cole learned that no matter what you do to get rid of anger it will always be there. He also learned that life isn't always fair.

What I learned?

I learned that what you do to the animals you do it to yourself. And that life is like a hotdog.

These lessons are important because sometimes life isn't fair. In the book Cole saw 3 baby birds died. He knew that they didn't deserve to die.

Another important lesson is that what you do to the animals you do it to yourself. I think it means that if you bully someone you're actually doing it to make yourself feel better.

One more important lessons was when life is like a hotdog. It taught me that I get to choose how I want my life like.

Article posted April 12, 2012 at 03:49 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 66

When i first got the book, i thought it was a boy who lives in the woods who has a imaginary bear friend but when I started reading the book there was this kid whos name is Cole he is 15 yrs old who was angry all the time so he let's his feelings out by beating kids up. He on went too far and beat up a kid and smashed his face on the side of the road, so the kids head was bleeding a lot. I thought this book would be like this to the end. But instead it's about how Cole changed his life and act because of an almost death experience, so I guess he thinks he has a second chance to have a better life.

Cole learned that whatever you try to get rid of your anger, anger will always be there will always be there. Edwin, a main character in the book, demonstrated this with a stick, Edwin gave this stick to cole and told cole to break the left end of the stick and pretend its your anger and the right side on the stick is your happiness. But when he did,the left end was still there, which means that whatever you try to do get rid of your anger, anger will always be there. He and I learned that "anger keeps you lost". Another thing that Cole and I learned was that "whatever you do to the animals, you do to Yourself" meaning  if you tease or bully someone, you are just making yourself  feel better in a cheap way.  Know I see that our lives are important and worth celebrating fo

Cole has changed a lot, from being a juvienile delinquent,violent,angry boy to a self controlled caring, Nice 15 yr old boy. That is a huge change of life for him

Cole Matthew felt life is unfair because of his home life. During his stay at the Island, he learned that you need the will to survive and life is what you make it to be and to celebrate life. He learned to reflect and anger is a memory that you can never forget and he learned to forgive. He had learned to help others and that made him feel good about himself, which reminded me of How full is your bucket. He also learned how to be invisible, and by invisible I mean he couldn’t be sensed because he cleared his mind and when he cleared his mind he could see the spirit bear.

What I learned from this book is that no matter how hard and unfair life could be, life is wonderful. There are so many good things in this world, and sometimes people forget all the good in their life and just focus on the negative. I also learned that helping others is rewarding to others and to me.

These lessons are important because you can use it in your later life and they can help others as well as yourself.

There are a few events in the story that show these lessons are important. The first event was when Edwin told cole to break the left end of the stick because he told him that the left end is his anger but Cole realized that there would always be a left end. The second event to show these lessons are important when Cole was at the care centre Rosy said “,helping others can help heal the wounds of spirit”. The third event was when Garvey made his hot dog, he put lots of toppings on it and he said “,Life is a hot dog” which means life is what you make it.

I feel this book really opened up my eyes on seeing how important life is and how you should celebrate it.

Article posted March 14, 2012 at 02:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 59

We recently finished reading Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelson and it was fun to read. If you read this book you’ll know what I mean. It was a rough road for Cole Mathews, but he has really changed. He can now control his anger, he does not lie and he just wants a fresh new start! At the beginning, all Cole wanted to do was going to the island and avoid going to jail, but then he got mauled by the Spirit Bear. The Spirit Bear is a mythical bear that can change your soul this is coming from the Native Americans.

After he got out of the hospital Garvey and Edwin got custody of Cole and Cole got a second chance. This time Cole didn’t want to avoid jail because he knew this was his last chance. But he didn’t know about who else had changed to? It was Cole’s mom she finally stopped drinking and started to take charge and take care of Cole. But she knew she couldn’t help him now so she said when you come out we will have a fresh start. 10 months later Edwin came to the island and spoke in devastation to Cole Peter the kid you beat up tried to commit suicide.

Cole was speech less till he said I can help Peter? A few days later he came again, he tried to do it again. Cole said if he brought Peter to the island he would help him so he said I’ll try and the answer was yes. When he arrived it took a while before they started to talk but it happened. But that was beginning! Slowly there becoming friends but time will heal all wounds. This has been Cole’s journey The Reflection.

One of my favorite events of the story was when Edwin said life’s a hot dog. You may not get it but it was suppose to be like a metaphor. Another one of my favorite events was when Cole wanted to help Peter enjoy life again. Do you remember earlier in this article Peter wanted to commit suicide well after that he felt sorry and helped Peter? When Cole got mauled by the bear was my most favorite part of the book. Do you want to know why because that’s when it a changed?

Article posted April 10, 2012 at 08:01 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 81

I liked reading this book because the characters in this book are the opposite of each other. Cole is bad person who beats up Peter and at the end of the story Cole is a nice person and Peter forgives Cole.I really relate to Peter because I got beat up too and I know what Peter is going through, it's fear. I learned in Touching Spirit Bear, don't believe what others say, forgiveness is always good and don't blame others. On the first page there was a nice quote it said, "Fall seven times, stand up eight".

domo is cool and awesome