Copyright (c) 2014 by L Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
L -- Blogmeister

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Comments help us critique our ideas and our writing. They also motivate us to do more thinking, writing, sharing & revising. You can leave your thoughts on any particular article by clicking "comment" below it. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by L teacher: Derek Milloy

Title: Vow of Silence (11/17/10)
Description: We're writing about participating in the Vow of Silence campaign started by Free the Children: what it is for; our reasons for participating; and our experiences.

Article posted December 1, 2010 at 06:04 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 918

On November 19th we had vow of silence.We did it for childern all arount the country kids dos not have the rights to talk.So we were not aloud to talk,e-maling,texting,instant messaging,facebooking,social networking,tweeting,passing notes. So i did not do any of it well we dont need to do it but in my heart I should.There kids in my school and my self put type on our mouth that said i am silencet or vow of silencet. Well that is all for me please leve a comment thank you have a great day.

Article posted December 2, 2010 at 05:07 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 89

for vow of silence we do not talk at all. there are no texting no facebooking no msn no pasing notes we have to respect and live like kids that cant speak up for them self.

On November 19,2010 we participated in The Vow of Silence for the children how don't have a right to speak up for themselves. We were trying to stay silent all day but it was very hard. our teacher was silent till the clock struck 3:00pm but most of us students had trouble staying quite. I think staying silent was a great way to show people that there are children who don't even get to speak. I hope you stayed quite on Friday November 19,2010. Here's a link  www.iamsilent.com

Article posted November 19, 2010 at 05:56 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 110

Hi, tomorrow there is a special event called the vow of silence. Every student in the school will remain silent for at least 1 hour, our class will remain silent the whole day. We are being silent in honor of kids who can't speak up about being abused, or poverty. So it is important that we remain silent for those kids. Peace!

Article posted November 25, 2010 at 12:34 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 86

last friday our school did the vow of silence! the vow of silence is a day to think about all the kid in poverty and can't speak up for their rights.when we do the vow your not allowed to: e-mail,text, tweet,facebooking,talking,and passing notes.  make sure to take the time to think about all the kids that are in poverty and can't speak up for their  rights. PEACE

Article posted December 6, 2011 at 01:46 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 272

the vow of silence is very insperational to help other kids in poverty. this event is a great way to stand up for kids in need

Sorry but I didnt exactly had it in it time but The vow of silence was really hard it was fun but the tape on my mouth made the top of my lip red it sorta hurt but not for a long time though

but it was hard NO passing notes NO talking NO

blog articles NO emails or online talking HARDER THEN EVER! I can admit I did talk through the day but you can t blame me it was hard :)

well bye everyone too da loo

Article posted November 19, 2010 at 03:13 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 102

On November 19, 2010 is the Vow of Silence! On this day people in different countries show how some kids dont have the right to speak. People try to stay silent for as long as they can and att my school people can pledge $1 or more for every hour that we are silent.

Article posted December 13, 2010 at 05:17 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 89

VOW OF SILENCE...(shhhh)

Hey guys have you heard of the vow of silence that happen to be 1 month ago and really it was

a really long time anyway lets get back to talking about somthing really important around the

world, many,many people around the world stayed silent scince they were young and its still

happning even now in December, and its really hard to be quiet in a really young age you know,

Last month in November 19 in 24  hours of no talking, if you want to know the date...also I got an

important message to tell you.....

STAY QUIET IN NEXT NOVEMBER

.........(shhhhhhh)

Article posted December 4, 2010 at 03:58 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 92

for the vow of silence we dont talk for the whole day no face book,msn,or passing notes. we have to respect all the kids that cant speak up for them selves.

Last Friday was the Vow of Silence(November 19,2010)and for the rest of the day we had to be silent.SSSHHHH=http://The day before the Vow Silence,our teacher Mr.Miloy told us the plan for the Vow of Silence.Well,the plan was kind of like any usally school day BUT,we had to be very silence. I guess your thinking,"What is the Vow of Silence?".I can tell you what the Vow of Silence means.It means were being silent for the children who don't have their rights being held up.I think about the Vow of Silence is very resonable because if I were a child who didn't have their rights held up, I would be silent for the rest of my life.I mean I would feel so ashamed of my self because my rights arn't being held up.So I was silent for most of the day except for recess and lunch.I would like to help children in need so I decided to be silent.If you were silent every hour you can donate $1.Or you could write the pledge.It's not just our school whos doing the Vow of Silence,people around world do it.Bye, thx for reading my article. I hope you injoyed it. BYE!!

Article posted March 3, 2011 at 05:43 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 157

Hi, Today I will be talking a bout Vow of Silence. Vow of Silence is a day were kids in our school and other schools take a time to remain silnce for as long as they can but our class was silence for the whole day. Want to know why were silence for the day? We are silence because of kids who can’t speak up about being abused or poverty. So we remain silence for those kids.

Article posted November 19, 2010 at 02:35 AM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 74

Vow Of Silence

Hey people who are reading this messenge if you are think have what the Vow Of Silence is here ill tell you tommrrow My class will be silent for the day (at least the afternoon._. the vow of silence is about being silent for the day or half have the day.And to put tape on your mouth if you want so you will not talk.

Example._. ^-^

Vow Of Silence NO:

Talking

facebooking

passing notes

tweeting

Msn

and lots more

what its trying to make people more aware of?

That some have kids in this world can not talk you shold be HAPPY ^-^ you can talk.WILL YOU COLLECT PLEDGES? I hope you do GOOD-BYE FOR NOW

PEACE!!!

Yesterday, on Friday 19th was the vow of silence. Many people around the world went silent for 24 hours, in solidarity with children who are being silenced by exploitation and poverty.

If you want to try being silent next year, the rules are: no talking, no using of e-mail, twitter, text messaging, hand gestures, or note writing.

It is really hard; I tried and couldn’t do it. For more information you can go on www.iamsilent.com

Article posted November 19, 2010 at 12:55 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 112

On November 19 it is the vow of silence. What is the vow of silence you ask? It is a day to recognize the children in the world who can’t speak up for their rights and who aren’t having their rights upheld. To take part in the vow of silence you CAN NOT talk, e-mail, texting, face booking, social networking, and last but not least, tweeting. For each hour your silent you can pledge a dollar or more :p so on Nov. 19                                                                     BE QUIET

Vow of silence                        as you know, I wrote about the vow of silence a couple of days ago. Now the vow of 2010 is over, and let me tell you, it is hard!!! I admit, I talked a few times. But it’s hard, you can’t talk with your friends about anything school, nothing!!! I know I’m going to try harder next year. leave me a comment if you think the vow is hard, or easy, and why. Thanks for reading                                                      

On November 30 our school took the Vow of Silence, intuduced to us by the Me To We Commity.  The Vow of Silence shows, children in undeveloped countries and some developed countries that if they dont have the rights to speak up and show their voice then we dont etheir. We're all the same, we're all just children but why in places like The Middle East ,or Africa, and South America? If they can't speak WHY SHOULD I?  Do I have special rights? Not at all. These rights should be given to each and everyone of the children of the world. I myself did not take on the whole part of the Vow of Silence, But I did relalize that millions of children have to go through that EVERYDAY! Could you?.... 

Article posted December 6, 2011 at 01:21 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 92

This article is about my experience from the vow of silence. To me, it was kind of difficult, because those everyday things you want, and usually say or talk to your friends about, are cut off, because you could not talk for the day. Honestly, I did not really get that much out of the Vow of Silence, all I thought about it was that kids around the world cannot speak up, so I should go and do the vow of silence, all I thought was, those poor children are not me, so maybe I should just worry about me. But, at the same time, I wanted to know what it feels like to not be able to speak up and talk. Over all, it was good, fun, and hard!

Article posted December 8, 2011 at 04:06 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 210

What is Vow of Silence? Okay,basically kids from all around who take place in this event "Vow of Silence",It for kids from around who are silence from:Wars,Poverty & more i forgot the rest..

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 04:14 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 194

Last month, we had the vow of silence. I feel sad for the kids who couldn't speak because people wouldn't let them. So I decided to do the vow of silence for the whole day than doing it for 2 hours.

I find it really hard to keep silent for the whole day because sometimes you need to ask questions if you don't understand or asking people if they can borrow things. I put a tape over my mouth to tell them I'm doing the vow of silence. The tape help me by reminding me not to talk. However I spoke 3 or 4 times. I'm not happy that I spoke, but at least I tried to be silent for the whole day.

On November 30th 2011, we had a school event. It was the vow of silence, the vow of silence is this event that you have to be silent for the people in certain places that doesn't have the right to speak up and say what they want to say. When school started, we had math. The work time was very efficient, I got all lot of work done. At reccess and lunch I  failed to be silent. It's so hard not to talk to people when they are talking to you or asking you a question and you can't talk back. At buddies I became silent again, but it was hard because when  my  buddy got stuck on a word, she would ask us and we would write the pronunciation, like seashore,we would write see sh or.

It made me realised that I'm lucky to be in a country that has the freedom and right to give a speech and make choices.

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 05:26 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 104

- How Did You Feel?

I feel good that I was silent for the whole school day because there was a good reason behind it. And it was my way of supporting the kids who don't eat, go to school, and don't have the chance to play something. And I really felt bad for them, but it felt good to do my part.

- What Did You Do?

We were silent for the whole school day. That means we did not interact with anybody, no passing notes, no facebooking, twittering, texting and e-mailing.

- How was your work different?

It was a lot different, especially because I had a hard time doing the sign language.Sometimes I needed to write it down.

- How was your work the same as the other days?

It was the same in terms of being quiet and just listening to our teacher when he do the discussion.

- What did you find hard?

The span of time that I was not able to interact with my classmates and friends. It's is really hard on my part because I am a conversationalist. I can't stand being quiet for a very long period of time especially when there is something funny and the group is having fun.

- Did you like anything about it?

Yes, part of it was ok because I was able to experience a day of silence with a caused.

- Did it help you think about people in the world who have no political voice?

Yes, I realized that it is really hard not to exercise the freedom to speak. And to be hindered to express what you feel and think that is right for you and to the people around you.

Article posted December 6, 2011 at 06:22 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 81

On November 30th we had a vow of silence for the kids and families that don’t have clean water, can’t get a good education and are barely surviving. Our school did it like this primary’s do it for an half an hour and intermediates do it for two hours. Our teacher thought it would be appropriate for us to do it for the whole day. For the whole day all I could think about was children that want to go to school but can’t afford it. I feel really bad because I could only stay quiet till PE because we played volleyball so I had to the call the ball. So then I tried again not to talk but at 1:30pm by accident I talked because my friend kept tapping me on the shoulder and he didn’t stop.

Overall I thought it was a good day for the class and I. But I hope that we can do something else to help because the more people that help, will make the world a better place. Always be thankful for what you have because they’re might be people who are less fortunate than you are.

This Thursday we were silent for the whole school day.Were silent because most of the kids all over the world works in bad conditions its called child labour.

They don't have the right to speak and do what they want to do,even 4 years old do work in factories.They eat 1 square meal a day.That is why we stay silent.

The vow of silence or know known as we are silent took place on April 18 2013. I was silent for the whole school day because there are people in the world who don't have the right to speak and if they do they get beaten.

I had a tough time being silent. The whole school did it in honer for the kids who can not talk.

Thanks for reading!

On April 18th, our school had the We Are Silent day. We honor the children in other countries who don't have the right to speak because they don't live in A democracy country. As here in Canada, we live in a democracy country and have the right of freedom of speech.

I wasn't used to not speaking to my friends, so it was pretty difficult to be mute. And it was even harder to ask a question because I wasn't supposed to speak.

Article posted April 22, 2013 at 06:17 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 67

On April,18,2013 Douglas Road participated in an event called We are Silent formally called the Vow of Silence.

What is this event?:

This campaign had first began in 2004 and challenges participants to stay silent for 24 hours for children whose voices are silenced by not having their rights upheld.

Every year tens of thousands of participants stand up for children who are being silenced. All over the world young people participate in this campaign to raise awareness and funds for children without a voice

Why should we go silent?:

215 million children of all ages are forced to work as child laborers and are denied the right to attend school. One in every three children in developing countries is malnourished. One billion children are deprived of essential services like food, water, education, or health care.

Think:

Can you imagine being at an age even under 5 and work in harsh conditions earning hardly or no money at all? Having no rights? Not being able to speak up for yourself? Hungry? Hardly even getting enough food to live? having no family to support you? With no freedom,fun,love,belonging,or power?

Hardly getting your survival need met? How would you feel?

Help!:

you may not realize how important this really is. How with just your support you can make a difference. Just being quiet for one whole day. Children do that everyday of their lives, so why cant we do it for one day? support the children who dream of a life like ours.

Don't take for granted how lucky we are.

Children dream of having the lives we live. While they have no food we have everything we need, and yet do you realize how we always want more?

We have all our basic supplies and much much more than we need. We have electronics, get an education, have a safe environment and shelter and yet we still take it for granted. We have more than we need and still don't think it's enough.

For children our lives are like a fairy tale. All they could ever dream of. So we must help them. Think of how We can help so much by doing so little.

Participate:

Participate in this event because by doing so little you will make a difference in children's lives all around the world. For just one day stay silent and it will make a difference!

How I felt:

When I participated in this event I actually found it hard. Staying quiet sounds so easy but is not. I feel so bad for children around the world because many people were struggling to stay silent and they are forced to do that everyday of their life. I can't imagine what I would be feeling to be one of those children.

I admit I did slip up and that's okay. I know that I tried my best and gave it my effort. I am so happy I got to participate in this event knowing I could be helping someone right now.

In the end I am really proud of myself, my class, and my school.

Will you help:

Will you help make a difference every year by being silent for 24 hours? Will you help us make a difference? Will you stand up for children everywhere? Think.

Here are links to a few pictures:

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

Information:

For more information about We are Silent visit this link: [LINK]

On Thursday April, 18, 2013 it was We are Silent. On this day young children around the world are quiet for a whole day or for a whole school day. We are silent began in 2004 and is one of free the children most powerful campaign. We were silent because 215 million children are forced to work as Child labourers, are not aloud to attend school, don't get any food, water, or health care, and are not aloud to speak.

I imagined me working as a child labourer not having any rights to speak out or eat. Not able to play and have fun. Not having a family by my side supporting me. I feel thankful that I have all those rights but I still wish that other children that are suffering and not being treated well should get all these rights too.

Here's a picture about We are Silent:

This picture is from:http://www.freethechildren.com/get-involved/campaigns/ 

We are silent known as the vow of silence. On April,18,2013 we are all silent for the whole day do you know why we do vow of silence? Well, we do we are silent because all over the world there are millions of kids working as bounded child laborers, they are denied to go to school and only get 1 meal a day. Let me tell you a story about Iqbal Masih.

Iqbal was four years old, his father needed a loan of approximately $12 dollars,in return Iqbal went to work at a carpet factory he had to cut carpet with tools, and when his finger got cut they would just put his finger in hot oil to stop the bleeding. The air he breathed was filled with dust by the carpet wool, Iqbal wasn't the only child who worked at the carpet factory he worked with many other kids working in harsh conditions. Iqbal's father could never pay the factory owner back because when ever Iqbal made an mistake the factory owner added more money so that Iqbal's father could never pat him back.

After, working for six years Iqbal heard about the Bounded Labor Liberation (BLLF). Bounded Labour Liberation helped Iqbal and other children get away from working and just escape. Iqbal was finally freed he went all around the world, and told people that all children should get an education. Iqbal told people about a life of a child laborers he won awards and became a well-known spokes person for child rights.

Iqbal died when he was 12 years old while riding his bike near his home he was shot and killed people thought it was the factory owners who were against his work. Iqbal inspired others to take action for the issue of child laboures U.S.A. and Germany spoke out and began working to make it illegal to import goods made by child laboures.

That's why on April.18.2013 we are all silent known as we are silent ( Vow of Silent ) thanks for reading!

Article posted April 23, 2013 at 06:09 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 145

On Friday our class took the Vow Of Silence. The Vow of Silence is to support child labourers who don't have the right to speak. Division 3 tried to be silent for he whole school day. It wasn't so bad, we were definitely one of the best classes in doing this.

It was very hard and I cant imagine how those kids don't have the right to talk. Kids should go to school and have the right to speak. We should all participate in the vow of silence because child labour is wrong and its happening all over the world! NO MORE CHILD LABOUR=http:// Thank you for reading.

Article posted April 24, 2013 at 07:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 208

Hi and today I want to talk about the Vow of Silence with you.

When I first heard of the Vow of Silence, I was curious about this event and also didn't really understand you had to be silent. Though I had a lot of questions I soon found out that the Vow of Silence was a event where we become silent and speak up(in a non-verbal way) for the children laborers and the children in developing countries facing poverty,lack of water,and etc. by being silent for the whole day.

I think that the Vow of Silence teach us that being silent is also useful, but also this event make us think about the child laborers and children facing poverty, lack of water,and etc. and we need to speak up for them, so they could have a better life.

Overall I think everyone should be apart of this event, and speak up for all those child laborers and children facing poverty,lack of water, and etc., which are very sad. Even with people speaking up for child laborers and children facing poverty,lack of water, and etc. there still is a lot of child laborers and children facing poverty,lack of water, and etc., but we still could help them!

Yesterday on the 18th, our school participated in the Vow of Silence, or now known as "We are Silent"

The reason why is there are many children around the world at a young age like 4, are forced to manufacture carpets, fans, and other things.

But one child named Iqbal Masih was rescued by the Bonded Labour Liberation Front (BLLF) and travelled the world speaking to groups about child labourers and for children to have an education.

Until one day as he was riding his bike near his house, when he got shot and killed. Most people think the killers were the carpet factory owners.

And most children are afraid to speak because they might get killed too.

Then the government of the U.S. made child labour illegal.

On April 18,2013,our school performed the vow of silence.The vow of silence is a event in witch you try to stay silent throut the entire day.We do it to repersent the kids doing child labor.if you are wondering what is child labor,ill tell you. Child labor is when a child (uder 18)is forced to do work that is dangerous or is too hard for kids to do.This includes working in a factory,building,or doing work for a little or no pay.