Copyright (c) 2014 by L Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
L -- Blogmeister

Luis-

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Comments help us critique our ideas and our writing. They also motivate us to do more thinking, writing, sharing & revising. You can leave your thoughts on any particular article by clicking "comment" below it. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by L teacher: Derek Milloy

Title: Is Cole okay? (02/25/09)
Description: Many of you have commented on some changes you have noticed in the main character in Touching Spirit Bear. At this point in the story, if left without medical attention, he would certainly die, but he just told Garvey that he is okay? Explain what you think he meant. Do you think he's okay?

Article posted April 2, 2009 at 02:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 234

I think Cole is ok because he is not angry anymore. Cole is not  blaming others anymore. His body is healing and his mind is diffrent.I think when Cole soaks in the pond and when he climbs the hill and rolles the ancestor rock down the hill calms him down.

-Is Cole Matthews okay?

I think Cole isn’t okay because his body is hurt and he is not doing well, but after he got mauled by the Spirit Bear, his soul, and spirit changed. He started to understand the problem and start to think about what he did to Peter Driscal.

Now he feels sorry for what he did, and wants to give up anything, just to help Peter heal. He even wants to let Peter stay with him on the island, and Cole already knows that won’t be easy. Cole’s spirit is okay, because now he is being nicer in many ways, and he cares about Peter.

I think he has changed from his mauling. He has started to think about what he has done, and he even said something he never ever said before, “I forgive you”.

I've written about Cole bfore, so if this is new to you, scroll down and read the previous article.

Recently, after Cole was mauled by a spirit bear and nearly died:

Page 68

Cole stared down at his chest. The bear's claws had raked him open. His shredded shirt exposed gashes with long strips of flesh missing.

Cole seem far from okay. In fact, he's almost dead. But he says he's fine, later in page 102:

Page 102

"He's been attacked by a bear." Cole nodded. Fear flashed in Garvey's eyes. "I'm okay," Cole succeeded in grunting weakly. A thin smile failed ti hide Garvey's concern. :Half your bones are busted, your body is swollen like one big mosquito bite, and you're nearly starved to death. Believe me Champ, you're not okay.: Cole forced a nod. "I am okay," he grunted again.

Why? Is Cole okay? He says yes but his injuries say no.

I think why he said he was okay was because he saw beauty in his life earlier. He saw how beautiful the world really was.

And that's why I think he says he is okay.

Cole is.. Okay and at the same time not okay. Physically, Cole is no where from ok. But emotional he is in a better place, I can even say his heart is at peace. But ways that Cole is not okay are greater.. Hes literary living in a dead body. I mean I have to say now.. Cole is not okay. Being attacked by a giant bear, being eaten alive by pesky insects, and birds. How is that okay?.. This will always be a disturbing and mindful memory..

He isn't okay!

First he get's attacked by a spirit bear!

Then the spirit bear rips open his rib cage!

Then he almost gets eaten alive by birds!

And insects...

Then his body has almost all his bones broken!

He almost lost all his blood!

He had to eat worms,A mouse & his own vomit!

Article posted December 15, 2011 at 01:49 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 49

I think Cole isn't okay because almost half of his bones are broken. Also his entire body is injured except his left arm. However he started to feel bad for what he did in the past like when he bullied Peter. I think Cole is starting to feel sorry for what he done.

Cole is okay because he realised that his life is more valuble than he thought and this was the first time he saw the worl beautiful for 15 years,this was the only time he saw the world was beautiful. Cole's power and belonging/love need got met by touching the spirit bear because he felt like he trusted the spirit bear and the  spirit bear trusted him also,so Cole felt like he successed, accomplished, and achieved something, and felt trusted, so now he feels that it's okay between them and nothing else bad is going to happen.

Cole is not okay because just by looking at him, it looks like he is not going to make it. He can barley do anything without making himself flinch or in pain. It's the peoples point of view, they think cole in not okay, but on the inside he really was.

If I were to pick if Cole is okay or not I would pick No because I'm thinkng about the present not the past. The past was that he saw the meaning of life and the present is that he's injured badly.

Article posted December 15, 2011 at 08:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 54

I think Cole is okay and not okay because he thinks that is life is about to end and he just wants to die because he has just noticed beauty, he has beem trusted and has trusted something. I also think he is not okay because his bones are broken, he had eaten bugs and his own vomit and a mouse, he was also attacked by a bear and he has lost alot of his inside organs from the seagulls picking at him. So in the end he is mentally okay but he is not okay life wise.

Article posted December 15, 2011 at 04:47 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 60

Yes Cole is okay because when the Spirit bear attacked him it knocked some sense into him. Before the Spirit bear attacked him he was a bitter young boy but now he is starting to think for once. He is causing more harm to himself then to anyone or anything. All Cole need to do is start thinking then he will know if he is okay or not but he needs to do it fast. Sure maybe his bones are broken by the bear but did you hear the expression sticks and stones may break my bones well stick and stones broke Cole’s bones. Once Cole gets better or if not only then we will know if Coles is really Okay.

A new planet is born! Kepler-22b