Taylor's Blog

This blog is for Miss Jovanovich's algebra and geometry classes to share ideas, ask questions, and reflect on what skills and topics we are studying. If we are lucky, we might even get a chance to connect with other students studying the same stuff.

teacher: Tina Jovanovich

Doing homework is never fun but when asked what my favorite problem was it's one of the more challenging ones. For this I picked question #16 on page 174 in our textbook. It involves algebra which is partially why I like it, algebra is one of my better subjects. This problem gives an image of a figure that has two parellel lines cut by a transversal. It gives you one angleĀ as 65 degrees and its opposite interioir angle as (3x+5) degrees. Knowing the opposite interior angle postulate, that they are congruent gives you the geometric idea to solve it. You then set the two angles as equal : 65 = 3x +5. Once you subtract five and divide by three you get x is equal to 20. I like problems like this because it involves a little more complex thinking and you can use it to apply to the theorems and postualtes we are learning about in class.

Article posted December 18, 2011 at 08:07 PM • comment • Reads 38 • see all articles