Taylor's Blog

This blog is for Miss Jovanovich's algebra and geometry classes to share ideas, ask questions, and reflect on what skills and topics we are studying. If we are lucky, we might even get a chance to connect with other students studying the same stuff.

teacher: Tina Jovanovich

Article posted June 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

It is sad to think that we have only one more class before our final, that means only 2 more classes of geometry ever! It's scary yet wierd to think about. I feel like its still October and I should be asking that question on what do you call a straight line thats really not straight. This will also be my last blog ever! I enjoyed our class this year, it was always a fun class. Anyways, remembering the fact that our final is coming up, it would be a good idea for another review question, so here it is:

Q: What is the definition of a vector?

A: A vector one dimensional ray that is specified by its magnitude and direction

Best of luck to everyone on the test tomorrow and the final! I will always remember this class :)

Article posted June 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

With finals just around the corner (only 7 more classes!!) everyone is cramming, stressing and worrying about everything! So for my blog this week it would be fitting to post a question that could be used as review along with an answer.

Q: Triangle ABC is a right triangle, angle A being the 90 degree angle. If a=18 and c=7, what is the cosine ratio of angle B?

A: COS(B)=7/18

Article posted May 21, 2012 at 01:00 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

We've been learning a lot about areas of different shapes and we just finished the week off with a test covering all of them. My favorite problems were were the ones that involved regular polygons because you had to use your knowledge of all other subjects. For theformula, A=(1/2)ap, and p=ns. The a is the apothem which you needed to figure out sometimes by using knowledge of special right triangles and the pythagorean theorem. It was a difficult chapter but it was especially interesting to figure out where all the formulas for the areas of these shapes comes from.

Last week we learned about special kinds of right triangles. There a 45, 45, 90's as well as 30, 60, 90's. The numbers are the measures of the angles in the triangle. For 45, 45, 90, both legs are the same length, and the hypotenuse is the elngth of the leg times the root of 2. An easy way to remember that, is that there are 2, sides the same, so the hypotenuse is times the square root of 2. For 30, 60, 90's the hypotenuse is double to short leg. The long leg is the short leg times the root of 3. An easy way to remember this one is that it has a 3 in 30, and each one of the 3 angles is a different measure, so the long leg is the short leg times the square root of 3. 

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

This week we began working with the pythagorean theorem. I think most of us have used this theorem before but we have begun applying it in new ways! I like the homework for this because it is more algabraic and I enjoy algebra math. I also like having to think of new ways to solve the theorem. In class on Thursday we did a worksheet on finding the root, or kinda how theorems like the 30, 60, 90, or 45, 45, 90 work - I like finding new ways to think and challenging myself with them.

Article posted April 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

This past week in class we were, in a way, re-introduced to radicals. I think all of us know what square roots are but a lot of us forget how to solve them. In Algebra we are working with more complicated radicals so it helps me to have the subject in both classes. I think solving any kind of radical is an easy concept for me, the only thing I forget sometimes is that when you have a negative as one of your solutions, you have to exlude it if your talking about the length of a figure because you can't have a negtive length!

Article posted April 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Over the past few weeks we have been learning a lot about different translations with shapes. Some include dilations, rotations and relfections. Reflections can be easy depending on where you have to reflect them. To make a reflection you need 2 things, an object and a line of reflection. Your object is your pre image and your line of reflection is any line on the coordinate grid. It's easy when you have a line of y=x, y= -x or the x or y axis. With those, I like to use matrices or the rules that wee took down in our notes. For example, across the y axis, the coordinate of your image would be (-x, y). However, if it is not one of these easy lines, like say y =3x+3, you need to follow a different set of directions. It's quite simple. All you need to do is draw a line with the opposite slope, in this case -1/3, from each of the points. From there mark on a ruler the distane on that line from your point to the line of reflection, mark the same distance on that line in the opposite direction. This will be the point of your prime endpoint of your image. Like if you were relfecting point A from the image, you would end up with A prime.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 01:04 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I found that I really enjoy what we just started to learn about. It has to do with quadrilaterals and reflecting them. We did some work on refelections in Aglebra 2 already this year and we used matrices to figure out where the image would be, in other words, the coordinates of the points of the image. I think having this as a tool will be very helpful while we are studying this unit, and I can't wait to apply my knowledge from a different class to another one!

So our 3rd quarter has come to an end. That means one thing - only one quarter left of Geometry! Oh NO! I don't know what I'm going to do with out that class. Anyways, we took a test last Friday which I thought I had done well on. I went in for extra help but I think it was the multiple choice that really hurt me. My favorite question was the one that asked which quadrilateral was the coolest. My answer was a kite, so all fingers crossed, I hopefully got that one right.

Article posted March 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

This week we learned even more about quadrillaterals. We are having a Test on everything we've learned so far on them this Friday, which is also the last day of Quarter 3. So basically it's make or break on this test (for me at least). I'll hopefully be doing a lot of studying this next week in preparation. One really important thing to study is the chart we filled out for notes. We started it a week or two ago and just last class we went over and highlighted the certain characterisitcs of the quads that were definitions or theorems. An example of some of the things in the chart is that a parellelogram has 2 pairs of parallel sides, and that is a definition. Hopefully we will all do well on the test!