-

This blog is for Miss Jovanovich's algebra and geometry classes to share ideas, ask questions, and reflect on what skills and topics we are studying. If we are lucky, we might even get a chance to connect with other students studying the same stuff.

by teacher: Tina Jovanovich

Article posted March 27, 2012 at 03:06 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Hello everyone!

I hope you enjoyed the warm weather last week! It was fantastic while it lasted. I'm praying that it'll warm up again for tomorrow, because it's my birthday! I can't believe it's supposed to be cold again, even after the record breaking high temperatures last week. 

In geometry class, we're finishing up Chapter 6. We will be having a test on Friday! I'm a little nervous because that's when the quarter closes, so this test grade will be very important. The many different types of quadrilaterals, their definitions, and theorems about them will all be a part of this test. Hopefully I'll be able to remember everything!

Wish me luck! Have a great week! :)

Hello everyone!

Happy spring! I can't believe it's already here. Since I spent pretty much the entire winter waiting for snow, it now feels like the year has flown by. I'm really excited for the warm weather coming our way!

In geometry class, we've been  learning the basics of quadrilaterals. These include parallelograms, rectangles, squares, rhombi, kites, trapezoids, and isosceles trapezoids. All of them have very interesting and unique characteristics. Did you know that any given square is also a rectangle and a rhombus as well? That's just one of the many useful facts we've been learning. 

Have a fantastic week! :) 

Hello everyone!

Are you excited for the upcoming Saint Patrick’s Day? I’m prepared to deck out in some bright green clothing and celebrate my Irish heritage. Did you know that Saint Patrick’s Day has been celebrated for more than one thousand years?

Anyways, before all of that green celebrating takes place, I must get through this week of school. Right now, all freshmen have to do NWEA testing in math and English classes, which includes geometry. 

I find NWEAs to be a bit unnecessary. Though I understand the reasoning behind them, I feel that there should be a better way of evaluating students’ academic abilities and progress. Sitting in front of a computer and answering fifty questions per test is unreasonable, because after answering few, it becomes very hard to focus. I've found that it really hurts my ability to test well. 

Hopefully administrators will be able to create a better method of evaluation, but until then, happy testing! I'll talk to you next week! :)

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 03:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

Hello everyone!

Finally, some snow on the ground! I find it funny that it waited until March to come down. Honestly, I don't even think I want it anymore! However, everything does look very beautiful with a white, sparkling blanket.

Anyways, today I had a test in geometry about the lines of triangles! Also on the test were coordinate and indirect proofs and the concurrent points of those lines. We had been studying these for a couple of weeks now, and I felt very prepared. Hopefully my hard work and studying paid off! 

Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a great week! :) 

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 02:52 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Hello everyone!

I'm happy to say that my vacation was fantastic! That is, except for getting lost in the woods while cross-country skiing...but that's a whole other story. 

Anyways, today in geometry class we learned about yet another proof. This particular type was called an indirect proof. This uses indirect reasoning, which is when all possibilities of a situation are considered, and all but one are proven false. That means that the remaining possibility must be true. I find it hard because normally I'd be showing how something is true, not false. I haven't quite mastered this proof yet, but I'll keep working at it! Any pointers? 

Have a great week! :) 

Article posted February 15, 2012 at 01:42 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

Happy Valentine's Day!

Well, though I wished with all my might, there's still no sparkling snow on the ground. *sigh* Hopefully by the time February vacation comes around there will be! There's only three days left until then, and I'm counting down the days. This vacation, I'm going to Sugarloaf for some fantanstic winter activities. 

But before I enjoy a nice cup of hot chocolate in the ski lodge, I have some homework to do! Firstly, I must write a bioethical paper for biology. I was also assigned a project in geometry today, which is to make a poster about one of the lines in a triangle. Though this doesn't have to be completed yet, I'd like to get a headstart. My line is called the median, which comes from a vertex of a triangle and intersects the third side at its midpoint. Hopefully I'll be able to think of a creative way to present it on my poster!

So long for now! Have a great week! :) 

Hello everyone! 

Will it ever snow? I feel that this winter has been doomed from the start, as of the fact that we are still waiting for some snow that will actually stick around!

Besides that depressing fact, my winter has been going very well. I did have a bit of stress on my shoulders today, however, when I had both a biology and a geometry quiz! The geometry one was our first for this quarter, and it was fairly easy. I had been studying and preparing well before, so the only challenge was the keeping my work organized while I solved a problem. This quiz was on the lines of triangles (mid-segments, altitudes, etc.) and how to solve the equations of them. We will be continuing our work with these in the classes to come. I look forward to it, since this will be brand new information for me to learn!

Stick a spoon under your pillow tonight, and let's all pray for some snow! Have a great week! :) 

Article posted January 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 44

Have you ever of Scratch? My geometry teacher, Ms. Jovanovich, has just introduced this neat website to us. On this website, people can use their math skills to create fun programs for others to enjoy. I've just spent a good half hour clicking on random projects and seeing what they can do. There were so many to choose from! However, my assignment was to find one that I really enjoy. Below is a link of what I found:

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/billy302/2244831

This program is called the Piano Game. To play, you simply have to click on your keyboard on the keys that correspond with those on the screen. This will result with the sound of piano notes. I was able to play a few tunes by figuring out which note each key represented. I like this program the best because it allowed me to somewhat play piano, which I really enjoy doing. 

This website provides numerous programs that will satisfy anyone's interests. Try it out for yourself and see what other fun or creative programs you can find! Have a great week! :) 

Article posted January 15, 2012 at 02:59 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

Hello everyone! I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. He was an amazing man who played a key role in America's history. As it happens, my younger sister was born the day after him on January 16. Happy birthday to them both! :) 

Since the third Monday is when we celebrate MLK's birthday, I don't have school tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have midterms this week, so I'll be spending the day studying and preparing for them. 

I have been studying for geometry using my Prentice Hall geometry book. One problem that I found very useful was problem 12 on page 236. It is a picture of two triangles that have two pairs of congruent angles and one pair of congruent sides. There is a third pair of corresponding angles that are labeled 3Xº  and 108º. The instructions are to find the value of X. 

The ASA triangle congruence postulate proves that these two triangles are congruent. Also, the 108º angle and the 3Xº angle are corresponding , so by CPCTC you know that they're congruent as well. 

From there, I used a bit of algebra to find my answer: 

3X=108    

X=36

This problem allowed me to use my prior knowledge of algebra and my new knowledge about triangles to produce an answer. Hopefully this has gotten me one step closer to being ready for my exam!

Have a fantastic week and a happy Martin Luther King Day! (: 

Article posted January 9, 2012 at 01:47 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

Hello everyone! I can't believe we're already eight days into the year 2012! Time really does fly, and with midterms coming up, I wish it would slow down a little. 

As you know, my geometry class has been learning a lot about triangles in this unit. This past week we went over isosceles triangles, which are triangles that have two sides of equal length. Specifically, we worked with theorems and corallaries about them. For example, we learned the Isosceles Triangle Theorem, which states that if two sides of a triangle are congruent, then the angles opposite those sides (base angles) are congruent. We also learned the Hypotenuse Leg Theorem, which states that if the hypotenuse and a leg of one right triangle are congrunet to the hypotenuse and a leg of another right triangle, then the triangles are congruent. 

Since we've also had to complete a lot of proofs this unit, I'm really excited to have the knowledge of these new theorems and corollaries. They'll really help me shorten my proofs!

Hope this information about isosceles triangles has been helpful! Have a fantastic week! :) 

Previous Entries All Entries       All Titles Next Entries