The Math Geek Equestrian-

This blog is for Miss Jovanovich's algebra and geometry classes to share ideas, ask questions, and reflect on what skills and topics we are studying. If we are lucky, we might even get a chance to connect with other students studying the same stuff.

by teacher: Tina Jovanovich

Hello Bloggers,

This is going to be my last blog (So sad). For this blog, I am going to give the incoming freshmen some advice to make it through freshmen year alive, and hopefully in one piece...

1. Bring your own lunch. Seriously.

2. Until you know where you are going, stick to the sides of the hallways. Upperclassmen WILL run you over.

3. Don't be scared to ask for help. No one is going to yell at you or make fun of you.

4. Be friends with your team leader, they are there to help you.

5. Make new friends. But whatever you do, DON'T forget about your old ones.

6. Be nice to your parents, they are the two people who are not going to leave you.

7. Don't expect people to stay the same. Everyone changes, including you. Embrace it.

8. Try new things. If they don't work out, then at least you tried.

9. Go to as many school events as possible. They make the best memories.

10. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Don't take yourself or other people too seriously.

And lastly, don't stress yourself out too much. It really isn't THAT bad.

Good luck freshmen, see you after the summer.

- Grace

Hey bloggers! Just as I promised on Wednesday, here is another final review question!

"In parallelogram BARK, m

first draw the paralleglogram:

4x = xsquared - 60

xsqaured - 4x - 60 = 0

(x + 6)(x - 10)

xsquared - 10x + 6x - 60

xsquared - 4x - 60

x + 6 = 0 or x - 10 = 0

x = -6 or x = 10

7x + m
70 + m
m

m< ARK = 110 dgrees

Wish me luck on my final!

Grace

Hey bloggers! I am going to show you a good review question for our Geometry final next week!

"Q is the intersection of AC and BD and ABCD. Find the area of kite ABCD if AB= 10, BC= 20, AC = 30, and BQ = 5."

A= 1/2 x d1 x d2 d1= DB = 2BQ = 10. d2 = AC = 30

A = 1/2 x 10 x 30

Area = 150 squared units

I will be posting another question later in the week due to the website being down last weekend.

Later, Grace

Happy Memorial Day Bloggers!

This week we are supposed to blog about SOH CAH TOA. What is SOH CAH TOA? SOH stands for Sin Opposite over Hypotenuse. CAH stands for Cos Adjacent over Hypotenuse. And TOA stands for Tan Opposite over Adjacent. These are trig equations. They help us find side lengths and angle measures of right triangles. Its pretty fun! Go find some online and try it out!

Til next week, Grace

Ello Bloggers!

This weekend was so busy! On Saturday I spent the day getting my sister ready for prom! I did her hair with my mom! It looked amazing! I was so proud of it! She had a great time and she looked gorgeous!

This week we are supposed to blog about our favorite area formulas and why. My favorite is the triangle formula. It is just like the square formula (which is the easiest to remember) but it has a little spin to it. Instead of A = BH it is A = 1/2BH. Just a little bit different but it is easy to remember!

Til next week! Grace

Happy Almost Mother's Day bloggers!

Tomorrow is Mother's day and I hope you all have a plan for the day to help make your great mother's feel special! Sadly I am working tomorrow, but my grandparents are coming down from Westport, ME. to have dinner with us. They are going to come visit me at Brown's Old Fashion Ice Cream where I work and get some yummy ice cream!

But I was not asked to talk about my wonderful mother, this week I am supposed to blog about "Special right triangle patterns and strategies for remembering them". So the first equation is for a 45-45-90 triangle. The hypotenuse is always going to be root 2 the length of the legs. There are 2 different measures so you can remember 2 measures = root 2.

The other special right triangle is a 6-30-90 triangle. The hypotenuse is 2 times the short side length. The long side is root 3 times the long side. So 3 different measures = root 3. Its easy!

Til next week, Grace

Article posted May 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Hi bloggers! I just realized that I had forgotten to blog on the week of April 6! Oops! Sorry about that! So I am going to blog twice this week to make up for it!

I just got back from the barn and meeting my new horse for the first time! His name is Toby and he is just amazing! I am looking forward to showing him this summer!

In geometry, our Scratch projects are due on Tuesday, so all the kids who put it off to the last minute are scrambling! Mine is all about ducks! It isn't completely done yet, but it is getting there! I think it will turn out pretty cool!

I will blog this weekend to tell you how it is coming out!

Til then! Grace

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

Happy Cinco de Mayo Everyone!!

I hope you all had a great day yesterday celebrating Cinco de Mayo! I went to the school dance that was dedicated to it! It was so much fun!

This week we were asked to talk about the Pythagorean Theorem. Everyone has heard of it, not many know the real name, but it is A^2 + B^2 = C^2.

^2 means squared by the way. The definition for the theorem is: "In any right triangle, the area of the square whose side is the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the areas of the squares whose sides are the two legs (the two sides that meet at a right angle)."

Wow, that's long. Basically it is a way to find the lengths of the sides of a right triangle. A and B are the legs, and C is the hypotenuse. Try some problems out!

Have fun!

Til next week! Grace

Hello bloggers!

This week Ms. J asked us to blog about radicals. Radicals are just like square roots. That is the simplest way of explaining them to you.

The internet definition is "An expression that has a square root, cube root, etc. The symbol is √"

If you want, go ask your math teacher about radicals, they are quite interesting!

til next week, Grace

Hey everybody!!

WE ARE ON VACATION!!!! YAYYY!!!!

But this week Ms. J told us to talk about reflections! We are learning about tessellation in class and reflection is the first one we were taught. They are pretty fun!

All you do is draw the line of reflection and then measure the distance from each point to the line and draw a point on the other side of the line the same distance. Pretty easy right? You should go find some problems to do online!

Til next week!

grace

Hi I'm Grace and I am horse crazy. I am also a total math geek. Enjoy my blog!