Mariah's Marvelous Blog

This blog is for Miss Jovanovich's algebra and geometry classes to share ideas, ask questions, and reflect on what skills and topics we are studying. If we are lucky, we might even get a chance to connect with other students studying the same stuff.

teacher: Tina Jovanovich

If after a rain storm, a leaf let's 2 cups of water fall every second. How many gallons of water does the leaf let drop per week?

Key:

c-cups

p-pints

qt-quart

G-gallon

Set up #1:

2c/1s(1p/2c)(1qt/2p)(1G/4qts)-> 8G/16s

Steps: In this problem, our goal is to convert cups into gallons, and seconds into weeks. To start we'll convert cups into gallons. Within the problem, we are given the information that the leaf let's 2 cups of water drop per second. We'll use that information as our starting point. Once you've written that down you put in parenthesis what you know about VOLUME. You can see that I have done the same in the above set up. For example, I know that for every 1 pint there are 2 cups. After you've written that down, you'll notice that the cups are written as 2c being the numerator and 2c being the denominator. This allows us to cancel them out, so go ahead and cross out the unit. After you've done that, continue writing what you know, such as the fact that for every 1 quart, there are 2 pints. Then see that for every 1 gallon, there are 4 quarts. Again, the quarts are written in a way that allows us to cross them out because they cancel each other. At the end of your set up you should have 2c/1s(1p/2c)(1qt/2p)(1G/4qts). You should also have cups, pints, and quarts crossed out (only the units, not the numbers). When done your set up, multiply across. (2)(1)(1)(1)= 8. Since you've crossed out the correct units, gallons are left. Therefore you should have written that (2cups)(1pint)(1quart)(1gallon)= 8gallons. Now multiply the bottom portion of your set up. (1)(2)(2)(4)= 16. Again, since you've crossed out the correct units you should have seconds left. Therefore your total of your set up should be 8G/16s.

Key:

s-seconds

min-minutes

hr-hours

d-day

wk-week

Set up #2: 8G/16s(60s/1min)(60min/1hr)(24hr/1day)(7days/1wk)

After completing the set up #1 problem we ended up with 8G/16s. So far we've met our goal for converting volume. We went from having 2cups to 8gallons. Now we have to do the final converting; 16seconds to 1week. It's 16 seconds because that was our left over time from our above problem (set up #1). Now, since we have our new information, we must convert those 16 seconds into one week. When setting up the problem you should've written 8G/16s. Like before, put into parenthesis what you know about TIME. For example, we know that there are 60seconds for every 1 minute. Remember, we can cancel out seconds know because they match up. We know that there are 60minutes for every 1hour and that there are 24hours for every day. Don't forget to cancel out minutes and hours. Lastly, we know that there are 7days in 1week. After you've written down your units and filled in the correct numbers, you can multiply across. (8)(60)(60)(24)(7)-> 4,838,400. That number is our total number of gallons. So write down that 8G(60s)(60min)(24hrs)(7d)= 4,838,400G. Remember, it's gallons because that's the unit we are left with after crossing the other units out. Now multiply the bottom, (16s)(1min)(1hr)(1day)(1wk). You'll get 16. The unit we're left with is weeks. You're total should be 4,838,400G/16wks. Since we want per week, divide the denominator and numerator by the denominator (16wk) / (16wk)= 1wk. (4,838,400G) / (16wk)= 302,400G. Therefore our final outcome is 302,400G/1wk.

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 03:43 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

For this assignment, we have to blog about Rates & Ratios. The difference between a rate and a ratio is this:

RATE- ratio comparing two different units.

RATIO- comparison using division.

An example of a RATIO is 2:3 people bet that Lucky would win the race.

An example of a RATE is the car drove 35mph for 6 hrs. This is a RATE because it's comparing two different units(miles per hour vs. hours)

UNIT RATE is a rate with a denominator of one. An example of a UNIT RATE would be the runner ran 2 miles in 1 hour. This is a UNIT RATE because the denominator is one.

UNIT ANALYSIS is like converting seconds into minutes or minutes into hours. Here's a website that will help give you examples of UNIT ANALYSIS:

http://www.alysion.org/dimensional/fun.htm

Here is another website that has 3 UNIT ANALYSIS practice problems for you:

http://www.mccd.edu/faculty/dawsond/Chem%2002A/Practice%20MultiStep%20Unit%20Analysis%20Problems.pdf

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 04:13 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 36

As I ponder about the topics we've covered this semester with a cup O' Joe in my comfy recliner, I think to myself how well I understand the topics. The topics being real numbers, order of operations, evaluating, translating, solving 1 step equations, 2 step equations, solving literal equations, CLT, exponents, and distributive property. Overall, I find that I understand these topics pretty well. Like I said in my last blog, if I keep on practicing these topics and keep them fresh in my mind, I'll remember how to do them just fine.

Now that Ms. Jovanovich has mentioned that our semester exams are only 20 school days (10 class days)away, I'm starting to get a bit nervous. Seeing as though I've never taken a semester exam I don't know what to expect. But one way that I'm going to prepare myself is to ask more questions during and after classes. If I truly don't understand something I'm not going to hope I can learn it, I'm going to practice and ask questions until I understand it 100%

Secondly, I'm going to ask my teachers for preparation packets. A packet that has review material of everything we've learned so far would definitely be beneficial for me. It's more material I can study, and plus I'll be able to see the material that will be on the test and know exactly what to learn.

Thirdly, I'm a visual learner, so making flashcards really helps me remember what I've learned. Although I'll need a lot of them, I'm going to make flashcards of the things that I've learned in my classes and go over them again and again until I don't need to see them to know them. Asking teachers what I should study specifically would be a really good idea too.

Lastly, I think I'm going to ask some of the older kids in the school about semester exams. Ask them questions like, "what should I do to prepare" "what shouldn't I do" "How can I study the best" "what are some tricks to remembering what I've learned." Asking more experienced students will really help me get a better grasp on the whole semester exam concept.

Well that's all for now, see ya next class!

-Mariah

Within my last blog entry(quater one reflection) I stated two obtainable goals for quater two. So far, I've been working on both. Maintaining straight A's and trying out for a sport I haven't played before. I'm happy to say that I've accomplished one of my two goals, I'm playing basketball(: Basketball is a sport that I haven't played before, so I thought I'd join. It's enjoyable for the most part, and it's a good activity to participate in if you want to stay active throughout the winter. On top of playing basketball I'm also playing indoor soccer, I've been playing soccer for a very long time so that doesn't really count.

My second obtainable goal for quarter two was that I wanted to maintain straight A's throughout quarter two, so I would make honor roll by the end of semester one. So far, I have all A's with the exception of two courses. If I stay focused, work hard, and study, I'm bound to finish semester one on honor roll.

So that just about sums this blog entry up. For the past weeks I've veen working hard at my academics, and I'm going out for a sport I've never played before. Looks like my quarter two goals are obtainable after all!

For me, combining like terms was easier for me as we went on learning about it. In the beginning I was pretty confused, but as went on and got deeper into the subject I began to understand CLT better. If we were to have a quiz on that subject again, I would have to study them over again. Although CLT was a more difficult section for me, exponents and power to power problems I'm finding to be a lot easier to understand. Aside from the addition and subtraction portion of those problems, I understand it very well. For me, personally, multiplying power to power and exponent problems are easier than adding and subtracting them. Another topic that has been easier for me to understand is multiplying monomials.For me personally, understanding what to do with multiplying monomials was easier than learning about combining like terms. In the end though, I've learned all of these subjects, if I brush up on them once and a while just to keep them fresh in my mind, I'll have them down pact.

Well that's all for now, signing off is Mariah(:

Now that quarter one is over. Looking back, I realize that I have done two things that have made me proud. Firstly, I managed to receive an A- in Algebra, which I am extremely proud of. I have always struggled in math, and I am very excited about our Algebra 1 class this year. Because I'm finding that I understand just about everything we're learning. The hard work, and efforts I put into Algebra throughout quarter one, paid off when I was able to receive a grade that I am very proud of.

Secondly, I ended quarter one on honor roll. I am extremely proud of this because, to be honest, Middle School I didn't really care for. I worked hard, but I didn't really care for it. But now that I'm in High School, grades really matter. The fact that my hard work, and dedication to my academics landed me on honor roll, really gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I have two obtainable goals for Quarter two. One being that I land on high honors roll; second, I want to try a sport that I've never played before. I will accomplish my first goal by again, working hard on my academics and staying focused throughout the quarter. I will accomplish my second goal by signing up to play a sport I’ve never tried before, such as basketball or track.

I am very anxious and excited to start my second quarter of High school!

Our assignment is too find a website that gives an example or definition of one of the following; real number set

order of operations

evaluating expressions

translating expressions

solving two-step equations.

My website gives an example of ORDER OF OPERATIONS http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol7/order_operations.html

So that webstie gives examples and explains the ORDER OF OPERATIONS. If you need help, go there!

Bye(:

Article posted October 14, 2011 at 12:08 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

My name's Mariah, I'm a freshmen at YHS, and I'm in Ms. Jovanovich's algebra class. I don't know what to really say here so I'll just add in that I like dogs, and my favorite color is blue. I LOVE to play soccer, and listen to music. Sooooo that's about it.. Can't wait to learn more about algebra(:

sincerly,

MDawg

Freshman at York High School